Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

+11
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Turtleneck
aualum06
kingstonlake
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   - Page 2 Empty Re: Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 pm

UCF Didn’t Lose a Game—but the Knights Lost to College Football’s Playoff Cartel

On Saturday, the defending national champion staged a stirring comeback victory in its conference title game behind its backup quarterback, capping an undefeated regular season, and stayed put in the College Football Playoff rankings.

In fact, both defending national champions did.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   - Page 2 Empty Re: Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:20 pm

if Georgia, Ohio State or Oklahoma played ND this week, I'd pick all 3 them over the Irish.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:20 pm

LooseGoose wrote:UCF Didn’t Lose a Game—but the Knights Lost to College Football’s Playoff Cartel

On Saturday, the defending national champion staged a stirring comeback victory in its conference title game behind its backup quarterback, capping an undefeated regular season, and stayed put in the College Football Playoff rankings.

In fact, both defending national champions did.
on the upside for the UCF powerhouse.. they path to another self-designated National Championship just got a lot easier.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Rocinante wrote:Neither. But my wife went to Boise State for undergrad. I like the name Vandals!
"a vandal smile, a baseball in his right hand"..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:UCF Didn’t Lose a Game—but the Knights Lost to College Football’s Playoff Cartel

on the upside for the UCF powerhouse.. they path to another self-designated National Championship just got a lot easier.

Actually not "self designated".

One reason UCF’s national title claim is actually valid (and it’s not the reason you think) 11 Officially, Alabama’s your consensus champ, but UCF has as much of a claim as several Power 5 teams who claim titles.

The Colley Matrix, formerly a BCS computer, has UCF barely ahead of Alabama in its final ranking.

So what, right? Some computer you forgot existed went rogue. Here’s the thing:

Plenty of programs claim national titles based on being No. 1 in a single selector.
Alabama’s ludicrous 1941 claim is literally based on one man’s opinion. Ohio State calls itself 1970’s champion despite the only selector to have the Buckeyes No. 1, the National Football Foundation, also having Texas No. 1. Texas A&M claims 1927 based on nothing but a computer that came around decades later. Kentucky claims 1950 based solely on the same formula. USC’s 1939 claim is at least based on a mathematical formula that was around at the time, though it was still only one selector. And so on and so on.

If it’s good for the Power 5, it’s good for the Group of 5.

Claim it with historical authority, UCF.

Here’s how 2017 went down, as visualized by Wikipedia’s nicely done table listing every season, with bold signifying consensus:

Alabama is your consensus national champion, according to NCAA terminology (and the results of the Playoff), but UCF has just as much official reason to claim a national title as, say, 1941’s Alabama team had.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Back to back championships would be pretty impressive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Let me make my case for UGA. Jake Fromm's mom is a little milfy.

[tw]1069008772503265280[/tw]
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:11 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Let me make my case for UGA. Jake Fromm's mom is a little milfy.

[tw]1069008772503265280[/tw]

I got a Reinder sweater for her if she' sever up in Michigan.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:on the upside for the UCF powerhouse.. they path to another self-designated National Championship just got a lot easier.

Actually not "self designated".

One reason UCF’s national title claim is actually valid (and it’s not the reason you think) 11 Officially, Alabama’s your consensus champ, but UCF has as much of a claim as several Power 5 teams who claim titles.

The Colley Matrix, formerly a BCS computer, has UCF barely ahead of Alabama in its final ranking.

So what, right? Some computer you forgot existed went rogue. Here’s the thing:

Plenty of programs claim national titles based on being No. 1 in a single selector.
Alabama’s ludicrous 1941 claim is literally based on one man’s opinion. Ohio State calls itself 1970’s champion despite the only selector to have the Buckeyes No. 1, the National Football Foundation, also having Texas No. 1. Texas A&M claims 1927 based on nothing but a computer that came around decades later. Kentucky claims 1950 based solely on the same formula. USC’s 1939 claim is at least based on a mathematical formula that was around at the time, though it was still only one selector. And so on and so on.

If it’s good for the Power 5, it’s good for the Group of 5.

Claim it with historical authority, UCF.

Here’s how 2017 went down, as visualized by Wikipedia’s nicely done table listing every season, with bold signifying consensus:

Alabama is your consensus national champion, according to NCAA terminology (and the results of the Playoff), but UCF has just as much official reason to claim a national title as, say, 1941’s Alabama team had.
you're welcome to believe as you wish.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:on the upside for the UCF powerhouse.. they path to another self-designated National Championship just got a lot easier.

Back to back championships would be pretty impressive.
they could award themselves another ring.. maybe a banner.. throw a pizza party.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

does anyone know what Hondo thinks about this topic??

'cause his opinion has the potential to influence mine..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm glad the B10 didn't make it this year. After the 10k fine to MSU for the Michigan incident I say fuck the conference.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm

steveschneider wrote:I'm glad the B10 didn't make it this year. After the 10k fine to MSU for the Michigan incident I say fuck the conference.

Delaney was in spin mode yesterday, crowing about having 9 bowl teams or some shit. Fricking blowhard.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm

aualum06 wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:with 4 teams you should not be in the playoff if you don't win your conference

False

Double false. Miami is right.

This shouldn't be a popularity contest, which it essentially is by using the subjective "4 best teams" criteria. That's horeshit. It should be the 4 teams that earned their way in. Part of that should be winning your conference, whether that is an 9-4 NW squad or 13-0 Bama squad. I have no tears for UGA. They didn't earn it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Nordic wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

False

This shouldn't be a popularity contest, which it essentially is by using the subjective "4 best teams" criteria. That's horeshit. It should be the 4 teams that earned their way in. Part of that should be winning your conference, whether that is an 9-4 NW squad or 13-0 Bama squad. I have no tears for UGA. They didn't earn it.

Agreed. And the best part is that it keeps Notre Dame out forever or forces them to join a conference if they want a seat at the table.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I don’t get the argument for Georgia besides Mrs. Fromm. They just had their chance against Bama and blew it. No do overs.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Agreed. And the best part is that it keeps Notre Dame out forever or forces them to join a conference if they want a seat at the table.

And here is why it won't happen. We won't get conference champions to be in the final four because ND will not get in a conference. The "Golden" goose. They will dictate who or what they want to. And why should 't they? Look at this year. They played one less game, were able to spread out their tough teams, and here they are.

The whole thing is set up perfectly for them, and I'd chuckle at anyone who says they'll be forced to get into a conference eventually.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

And here is why it won't happen. We won't get conference champions to be in the final four because ND will not get in a conference. The "Golden" goose. They will dictate who or what they want to. And why should 't they? Look at this year. They played one less game, were able to spread out their tough teams, and here they are.

The whole thing is set up perfectly for them, and I'd chuckle at anyone who says they'll be forced to get into a conference eventually.

You don't think that four conferences wield enough power to force a change if they want?

The key is IF they want. The SEC might not want to, because at present they have the most to risk, or the highest potential of getting two teams in. But I'll argue that if the four conferences want it, ND is fucked. Also, if the ACC is smart, they want it to force ND into joining.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:07 pm

By-Tor wrote:I don’t get the argument for Georgia besides Mrs. Fromm. They just had their chance against Bama and blew it. No do overs.

Mrs. Fromm is quite convincing, though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

You don't think that four conferences wield enough power to force a change if they want?

The key is IF they want. The SEC might not want to, because at present they have the most to risk, or the highest potential of getting two teams in. But I'll argue that if the four conferences want it, ND is fucked. Also, if the ACC is smart, they want it to force ND into joining.
as you know, you can always just follow the money. Like them or not, ND brings in a ton of money.. they're high-profile and they're in a conference in every single sport.. except for football. Rolling Eyes

as DWags seemed to suggest, they'll never have to join a conference... because nobody (CFP committee) has the courage to leave them out of the playoff otherwise.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

Forget it. DWags is already chuckling at you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:20 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Forget it. DWags is already chuckling at you.

Why should OSU Georgia or Oklahoma be the fourth in?   - Page 2 502811600

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Here’s the thing. Too many good colleges are addicted to playing them. They won’t stop. If every college said, “screw you, no contract till you join a conference”’that’s what would force them. No games. But it won’t happen. Schools looooovvvveeee playing them. Can’t stop themselves. Here’s the other half of that equation. Do we want them in the big ten? Nebraska OSU uofM PSU Wisconsin Northwestern and now Purdue climbing. That’s a pretty tough neighborhood
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:40 pm

DWags wrote:Here’s the thing. Too many good colleges are addicted to playing them. They won’t stop. If every college said, “screw you, no contract till you join a conference”’that’s what would force them. No games. But it won’t happen. Schools looooovvvveeee playing them. Can’t stop themselves. Here’s the other half of that equation. Do we want them in the big ten? Nebraska OSU uofM PSU Wisconsin Northwestern and now Purdue climbing. That’s a pretty tough neighborhood

We want to trade the ACC Rutgers for them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Notre Dame is afraid to join the B1G because of the already tough neighborhood. Bums me out. I’m one of those guys DWags is referring to. I want them on our schedule every year. They are our second biggest rival, and our schools have a long history together, both on and off the field. I hate them because they’re Notre Dame and because they’re being little bitches for not wanting to join our conference.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 pm

DWags wrote:Here’s the thing.  Too many good colleges are addicted to playing them. They won’t stop. If every college said, “screw you, no contract till you join a conference”’that’s what would force them. No games. But it won’t happen.  Schools looooovvvveeee playing them. Can’t stop themselves.  Here’s the other half of that equation.  Do we want them in the big ten?  Nebraska OSU uofM PSU Wisconsin Northwestern and now Purdue climbing. That’s a pretty tough neighborhood
No. Fuck them. They had their chance.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2