Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some wild cats hanging at the Kellogg

+8
steveschneider
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
DWags
InTenSity
NigelUno
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Some wild cats hanging at the Kellogg  - Page 3 Empty Re: Some wild cats hanging at the Kellogg

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-02, 22:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I think this year just comes down to having five guys on the floor that can score. There were times last year where I seriously could just look at our players on the floor and tell you where the ball was going to go and who would shoot it.

I think there is some truth to this. It is crazy the improvement on the Offensive end we've seen from all of the 'role player' guys - Ahrens (I know, wasn't healthy), Go-ins, Tillman, McQ, etc. All these guys can fill it up somehow.

It’s true. McQaid seemed like a chicken shit last year and this year he isn’t even hesitating to launch a three. Whatever the answer is there’s no question this type of ball is much more pleasing on the eyes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Some wild cats hanging at the Kellogg  - Page 3 Empty Re: Some wild cats hanging at the Kellogg

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-02, 22:14

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I think there is some truth to this. It is crazy the improvement on the Offensive end we've seen from all of the 'role player' guys - Ahrens (I know, wasn't healthy), Go-ins, Tillman, McQ, etc. All these guys can fill it up somehow.

It’s true. McQaid seemed like a chicken shit last year and this year he isn’t even hesitating to launch a three. Whatever the answer is there’s no question this type of ball is much more pleasing on the eyes.

He's a little more trigger happy when they're up 20+
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-02, 22:28

I have to admit it's kinda nice to beat Collins down.   Fucking Dookie.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-02, 22:29

LooseGoose wrote:I have to admit it's kinda nice to beat Collins down.   Fucking Dookie.

Amen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-02, 22:38

Isiah Stewart is gonna be sorry he didn't pick MSU!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-01-02, 22:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:People should note the difference in game results when we get a proper game thread.

Agreed.

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t17689-tofficial-holiday-bowl-thread-let-s-get-10?highlight=Holiday

Also started the Middle Tennessee State thread, the Syracuse thread, the thread for this year's UM football game, and the 2003 football game against Louisiana Tech.

*All of the above is fiction, but I still think Pylon has a lot of work to do before he is ready to start game threads.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-01-02, 23:17

Great crowd tonight.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-02, 23:21

Turtleneck wrote:

Also started the Middle Tennessee State thread, the Syracuse thread, the thread for this year's UM football game, and the 2003 football game against Louisiana Tech.

*All of the above is fiction, but I still think Pylon has a lot of work to do before he is ready to start game threads.

See ya at tOfficial Big Ten Tournament game threads. Started by me.  Basketball
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-02, 23:55

You know what is fucked up? We are playing so well right now. Even Wags is singing our offensive praises and he's a football guy.

We are going to lose Saturday @ OSU. It's the Big Ten. This is how these things work.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-03, 01:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You know what is fucked up? We are playing so well right now. Even Wags is singing our offensive praises and he's a football guy.

We are going to lose Saturday @ OSU. It's the Big Ten. This is how these things work.

And I believe last year we were #1 in the nation for like 48 hours and they ran us out of their gym.

But I’d like another chance at explaining why I like this team the most. It’s like sitting in a traffic jam vs moving slowly in your car on a longer route. It might take me longer to get where I’m going, but I’m fucking moving. I need to move. I’m no a stats guy but at least it seems to me this team is taking more shots per game than last year. Just move. Make an aggressive mistake. But fucking move. Keep moving keep throwing the rock at the rim. Make me interested. I’d love to have JJJ Mimes and Carson on this team. But not at the expense of boring half court sets vs attacking the basket and getting more shots. Maybe I’m hallucinating but it seems we’re shooting the ball more.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-03, 07:29

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You know what is fucked up? We are playing so well right now. Even Wags is singing our offensive praises and he's a football guy.

And I believe last year we were #1 in the nation for like 48 hours and they ran us out of their gym.

But I’d like another chance at explaining why I like this team the most. It’s like sitting in a traffic jam vs moving slowly in your car on a longer route. It might take me longer to get where I’m going, but I’m fucking moving. I need to move. I’m no a stats guy but at least it seems to me this team is taking more shots per game than last year. Just move. Make an aggressive mistake. But fucking move. Keep moving keep throwing the rock at the rim. Make me interested. I’d love to have JJJ Mimes and Carson on this team. But not at the expense of boring half court sets vs attacking the basket and getting more shots. Maybe I’m hallucinating but it seems we’re shooting the ball more.

I followed a little bit of the G league this summer. I forget what lottery pick it was but his stat line was abysmal and I saw clip of Jalen Rose breaking down the reason why. The other team was focusing on him and taking away the floor from him. Cutting off his pass lines, lanes to dribble and doing everything they could to to frustrate his shot. My dumb ass take is that last year teams knew what we were trying to do and when a defense knows this they can frustrate even the best players (even a lottery pick). When Nairn had the ball he wasn’t going to shoot. When he drove up the court he would peel back and settle for a half court set. Defenses could play off him because he wouldn’t shoot. Last year a lot of the sets were so obvious. You could tell when the Spartans wanted to move the ball to Ward on the block and the idea was he’d take it in or kick it out. It was so friggin obvious you could just tell by the way he was set and where the pg would go with the ball. If I knew it then the other team knew it.

Basketball in the 21st century is about spacing the floor so it makes it harder to double team, you have space for your guards and wings to shoot, drive and make more effective cuts. This years team is spacing the floor, passing to the trail behind shooter, making pump fakes, guys like Tillman or Goins are a threat to shoot so you have to guard them, Ahrens can drive in for a dunk, McQaid can now drive and if you leave him open he’s going to drill the shot. Cash and Langford both have a good first step to shake a defender and hit a shot. And I believe because of these dynamics it’s leaving Ward in single coverage and he’s difficult to cover one on one.

The other thing that we are doing well this year is not fouling. I noticed it game one Vs Kansas when we put a few of their players on the bench from drawing fouls. It’s crazy. My two biggest gripes last year was the offense and our fouling and we’ve cleaned both up. Something had to change and I’m glad it did.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3