Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O/T Online PhD programs.

3 posters

Go down

O/T Online PhD programs. Empty O/T Online PhD programs.

Post by tJYD 2014-06-29, 15:47

Worth it or complete scam?

I'm currently doing my masters online, and would love to do my PhD the same way. However, in either one of my fields, I'm not sure if a PhD would actually equate to more pay, just the title of Dr.

Thoughts?
tJYD
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

O/T Online PhD programs. Empty Re: O/T Online PhD programs.

Post by Turtleneck 2014-06-29, 16:08

First, rule out for-profit institutions. Second, I suppose it depends on your field and career path. I suppose some might be more open to online degrees. I will say that those with brick and mortar PhDs will always view your degree with suspicion. To some degree that is fair, as many times they are not as rigorous.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tJYD 2014-06-29, 16:12

Turtleneck wrote:First, rule out for-profit institutions. Second, I suppose it depends on your field and career path. I suppose some might be more open to online degrees. I will say that those with brick and mortar PhDs will always view your degree with suspicion. To some degree that is fair, as many times they are not as rigorous.

Most for-profit institutions are really bleh. I'm at Full Sail getting my masters, and its a school I have been looking at since the mid 90s. Main reason I chose State over it was because it wasn't accredited. Since it is now, I decided to get my masters here because of what their grads were able to do afterwards. The only other for-profit university I would ever consider was University of Phoenix. Other than that, nope.
tJYD
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-06-29, 16:13

You want be doctor? Wire me $1400.

Congratulations, you are now doctor.
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-06-29, 16:17

tJYD wrote:

Most for-profit institutions are really bleh. I'm at Full Sail getting my masters, and its a school I have been looking at since the mid 90s.  Main reason I chose State over it was because it wasn't accredited. Since it is now, I decided to get my masters here because of what their grads were able to do afterwards. The only other for-profit university I would ever consider was University of Phoenix. Other than that, nope.

I would not even consider Phoenix. I am not knocking the quality, but only that the degree would be discounted next to other degrees.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tJYD 2014-06-29, 16:20

Turtleneck wrote:

I would not even consider Phoenix. I am not knocking the quality, but only that the degree would be discounted next to other degrees.

To a degree, yes you would be right.  That said, for my field, a degree from Full Sail trumps my Michigan State degree. All depends on what you are trying to do.
tJYD
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down