Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Detective - Season 3

+7
Nordic
Clarett's Folly
Death Roe
Rocinante
Watch Out Pylon!
Dr. Strangelove
Other Teams Pursuing That
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

True Detective - Season 3 Empty True Detective - Season 3

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-09, 02:08

Back on HBO this Sunday January 13. Getting pretty good reviews so far (thank fucking god!). Who’s in??
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

True Detective - Season 3 Empty Re: True Detective - Season 3

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2019-01-09, 06:25

Reviews I've read said it's a direct ripoff of season one. And while that was good I don't think I need a remake of it and season two blew
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-09, 09:36

I gave up on season two. If it's anything like season one I'm in. But in reality you're not going to do better than burnout Matty McConaughey. Dude was gold in that role.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-09, 10:13

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I gave up on season two. If it's anything like season one I'm in. But in reality you're not going to do better than burnout Matty McConaughey. Dude was gold in that role.

S1 was sofa king good. I never even attempted S2 based on the feedback. I'll give S3 whirl, looks pretty good.

Last edited by Nordic on 2019-01-09, 10:16; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-09, 10:15

I Am the Night looks pretty good too. I thought it was True Detective S3 when I first saw the trailer.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-14, 10:25

Watched 1/2 eps released last night. I enjoyed it, definitely playing the first season card. 3 timelines to follow.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-14, 11:27

Oh shit, forgot this started last night. Will have to catch up.

Edit: Got about 30 minutes into the 1st episode. Got to the part where the detectives find the peep hole in the brother's bedroom closet looking into the sister's room. Red flag #1.

Not sure if I'm going to dig the exact same premise of season one where the lead detectives are being interviewed by other detectives about a cold case/similar case (whatever this turns out to be).
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-14, 16:34

Why was that red flag #1 for you? if you're expecting something ground shattering, you may want to look elsewhere. at the very least, it seems like it's going to keep me watching. progress from season 2.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-14, 16:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why was that red flag #1 for you? if you're expecting something ground shattering, you may want to look elsewhere. at the very least, it seems like it's going to keep me watching. progress from season 2.

No, not a red flag for me to quit watching, a red flag regarding some fucked up shit going on with the family.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-14, 16:46

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why was that red flag #1 for you? if you're expecting something ground shattering, you may want to look elsewhere. at the very least, it seems like it's going to keep me watching. progress from season 2.

No, not a red flag for me to quit watching, a red flag regarding some fucked up shit going on with the family.

oh, ok. True Detective - Season 3 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-01-14, 18:08

I rewatched TD season 1 a while back, and while Matthew McConaughey is mesmerizing, I think Nic Pizzolatto is overrated. With actors with less of a vision about the characters and season 1 might have flopped. It may have been lightning in a bottle. MM is the shit. Probably won't be watching 3 until much later on, if at all.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2019-01-14, 18:11

The incestuous brother and sister from season 1 creeped my wife out so much.

I was outside redoing the landscaping and I asked her if she wanted me to make flowers, she fucking hated it. True Detective - Season 3 502811600
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-15, 00:52

Watched the 2nd ep - better than the first. Maybe I’m a sucker for shows with murders, cults, and mystery, but I didn’t want that ep to end.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-15, 12:30

Just figured out who the white detective is. He's the guy who played the main bad guy in the 1st Blade movie. Don't remember seeing him in anything since then.

The late 90's CGI!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-16, 13:17

I like their interrogation techniques.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-01-16, 13:33

Five minutes in.
Me: oh, this is going to be based on the West Memphis Three.
Wife: ugh...
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-17, 10:13

Clarett's Folly wrote:Five minutes in.

For someone that’s not too familiar with the West Memphis three and will probably avoid learning about it too much until after the show, why the ugh reaction?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-01-17, 14:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:Five minutes in.

For someone that’s not too familiar with the West Memphis three and will probably avoid learning about it too much until after the show, why the ugh reaction?

The details of the crime were pretty awful.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-21, 07:17

S3E1 was very good, intense. I love that they brought back the multiple timelines. That playbook works for this show. Watched E2&3 last night and it dragged a bit. Seems like they could have compacted those two a bit.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-21, 08:06

Yeah, I watched ep. 3 last night after that Patriots bullshit. Kind of a filler episode. Let's get back to creepy kidnapper stuff.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-21, 08:51

Ep 3 was meh but i actually thought 2 was better than 1. Remember it’s true detective, it’s not going to be non stop shit
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-21, 09:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Ep 3 was meh but i actually thought 2 was better than 1. Remember it’s true detective, it’s not going to be non stop shit

I am intrigued about what that Indian dude grabbed out of his house after he got jumped by the locals. Seemed heavy. A big fucking gun?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-28, 19:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Ep 3 was meh but i actually thought 2 was better than 1. Remember it’s true detective, it’s not going to be non stop shit

Still on the fence between this is really good and bored. The lead actor is killing it though.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-28, 19:09

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I am intrigued about what that Indian dude grabbed out of his house after he got jumped by the locals. Seemed heavy. A big fucking gun?

Good call. He had some other stuff in there too.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-01, 16:09

Nordic wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Good call. He had some other stuff in there too.

Finally got caught up. Yeah... don't fuck with an Indian Vietnam vet.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-11, 13:42

The Hoyt theory is advancing rapidly, but the re-appearance of Mike Ardoin is intiguing, it strethens the possibility that Shelly is actually Julie.

Should be interesting to see if Wayne offs Harris James or the Hoyts make him disappear.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-11, 22:52

tTito wrote:The Hoyt theory is advancing rapidly, but the re-appearance of Mike Ardoin is intiguing, it strethens the possibility that Shelly is actually Julie.

Should be interesting to see if Wayne offs Harris James or the Hoyts make him disappear.

The last two episodes were good. E5 was right behind E1 as the best of the series. It moved the story along nicely and was active. There was a lot packed into that episode. E6 seemed to pretty much unravel everything, but I'm still intrigued to see it play out. My only question at this point is what are the old dudes still trying to still figure out? Seems like everything is right in front of them in 1990.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 00:27

Nordic wrote:
tTito wrote:The Hoyt theory is advancing rapidly, but the re-appearance of Mike Ardoin is intiguing, it strethens the possibility that Shelly is actually Julie.

The last two episodes were good. E5 was right behind E1 as the best of the series. It moved the story along nicely and was active. There was a lot packed into that episode. E6 seemed to pretty much unravel everything, but I'm still intrigued to see it play out.  My only question at this point is what are the old dudes still trying to still figure out? Seems like everything is right in front of them in 1990.

Exactly. They figured it out but they had to stop because they f'd up. Maybe because they killed Harris James? Now that Wayne is on his death bed with Alzhimer's he's looking for closure, but West just wants to continue to let it go.

It's turned into: OK we know the "who, what, where" now the mystery is "how and why."
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-12, 01:00

Loved ep6 and how this is seeming to turn out. Think it’s going to be a bit more rewarding than some cliche gotcha moment at the end of the season.

Tito- Shelly is actually Julie? Wut?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 13:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Loved ep6 and how this is seeming to turn out. Think it’s going to be a bit more rewarding than some cliche gotcha moment at the end of the season.

The Purcell kids used to tell their parents they were going to Mike Ardoin's house when they went to Devil's Den. Mike waived to them and hi to Julie when they rode past his house on the fateful day. So we know Mike and Julie were friends. When Amelia was interviewing Shelly the creators put a van outside the window that said Ardoin Landscaping on the side. Why would they go to the trouble to do that unless it's a clue?

Also, Shelly told Amelia that Julie would go by different names, she said something about "July" and "Summer" Then the scene of inside the Purcell house with the graffiti there's a great big "Summer" written on the wall. Another clue?

I don't see any reason why Shelly 'couldn't' be Julie?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-12, 14:33

I’m with you on the landscaping guy being a clue - just didn’t follow on the Julie and Shelly piece. Yeah, i guess why the fuck not
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-02-12, 15:18

tTito wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Loved ep6 and how this is seeming to turn out. Think it’s going to be a bit more rewarding than some cliche gotcha moment at the end of the season.

The Purcell kids used to tell their parents they were going to Mike Ardoin's house when they went to Devil's Den. Mike waived to them and hi to Julie when they rode past his house on the fateful day. So we know Mike and Julie were friends. When Amelia was interviewing Shelly the creators put a van outside the window that said Ardoin Landscaping on the side. Why would they go to the trouble to do that unless it's a clue?

Also, Shelly told Amelia that Julie would go by different names, she said something about "July" and "Summer" Then the scene of inside the Purcell house with the graffiti there's a great big "Summer" written on the wall. Another clue?

I don't see any reason why Shelly 'couldn't' be Julie?
Because it's not the girl in the picture at Walgreens? I know that they've said it's difficult to tell if it's Julie from the picture, but surely Amelia sitting in the room with Shelly, holding the picture from Walgreens, would be able to notice enough of a similarity. Just seems like they'd be stretching that a bit.

The Ardoin thing is probably something. Maybe as simple as Shelly knowing that the landscaper knows/knew Julie, or also maybe that he recruits girls for the Hoyts (even as a kid).

Then again, some of you pay a lot more attention to the finer details than I, and read the online articles and theories, so I'm probably wrong.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-02-12, 16:09

By the way, I don't know if there have been any hints about this, but I have been wondering if the reporter (2015 timeline) is personally connected in any way, such as Julie's daughter. The age seems like it would fit with a mid-late 80s birth, when Julie would have been a teenager. Not trying to look for things that aren't there, but she obviously has a strong interest in this case, and has knowledge that the detectives didn't (which could also just be a good reporter, assigned to a story and doing her job).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 16:33

https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/171/1712892/3499271-5.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/UEdSfCzJTztzHBMqYvPvFEdsWYI=/0x0:1920x1080/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1920x1080):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13726304/True_Detective_season_3_Julie_security_camera_footage.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZWUyMDQ2YmMtNmIwZC00ZmI3LWI3ZGUtNGIxYWM3NjY3YTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNDA2NTI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-12, 17:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:By the way, I don't know if there have been any hints about this, but I have been wondering if the reporter (2015 timeline) is personally connected in any way, such as Julie's daughter. The age seems like it would fit with a mid-late 80s birth, when Julie would have been a teenager. Not trying to look for things that aren't there, but she obviously has a strong interest in this case, and has knowledge that the detectives didn't (which could also just be a good reporter, assigned to a story and doing her job).

Interesting and possible. My first reaction is no. Julie, wherever she is, is messed up from the whole ordeal. That would typically mean a kid is going to be messed up too. And the reporter is pretty polished.

But maybe the Hoyt's raised her, shipped her off to college, etc. It would explain her interest in the story as well. But why would she then dig, she would know who the Hoyt's are the ones responsible for everything. It would be an interesting finale, but they'd need to stitch that part up somehow.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-12, 17:34

BTW. Loved that Tom finally got pissed and beat the shit out of someone.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-02-12, 17:37

tTito wrote:https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/171/1712892/3499271-5.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/UEdSfCzJTztzHBMqYvPvFEdsWYI=/0x0:1920x1080/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1920x1080):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13726304/True_Detective_season_3_Julie_security_camera_footage.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZWUyMDQ2YmMtNmIwZC00ZmI3LWI3ZGUtNGIxYWM3NjY3YTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNDA2NTI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
Bro, learn to post pictures. Also, try explaining what you're point is. If you're saying they look the same/similar, and you and internet geeks are able to see that, then how are we supposed to believe that it doesn't cross Amelia's mind when she's sat right in front of her? That was my point. She has the photo, and this person sitting 2 feet from her, and she doesn't see a similarity enough to raise a flag? I guess we'll see if the next episode reveals that Amelia did recognize her, but if so, I'm still not sure about her having zero reaction.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-12, 17:41

I'm with Miami, not her.

Are you guys at least enjoying the season? I am. It's not season 1, yeah, but somewhere in between 1 and 2 which I'll take.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-02-12, 17:44

Nordic wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:By the way, I don't know if there have been any hints about this, but I have been wondering if the reporter (2015 timeline) is personally connected in any way, such as Julie's daughter. The age seems like it would fit with a mid-late 80s birth, when Julie would have been a teenager. Not trying to look for things that aren't there, but she obviously has a strong interest in this case, and has knowledge that the detectives didn't (which could also just be a good reporter, assigned to a story and doing her job).

Interesting and possible. My first reaction is no. Julie, wherever she is, is messed up from the whole ordeal. That would typically mean a kid is going to be messed up too. And the reporter is pretty polished.

But maybe the Hoyt's raised her, shipped her off to college, etc. It would explain her interest in the story as well. But why would she then dig, she would know who the Hoyt's are the ones responsible for everything. It would be an interesting finale, but they'd need to stitch that part up somehow.
I was thinking more along the lines of having been given up for adoption (officially or unofficially) so not really being raised in either messed up situation, but then eventually tried learning about her family and dug up all this craziness. With 2 episodes to go, however, there may not be time to reveal any backstory on the reporter, so I wouldn't be surprised if she has no relevant backstory.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 17:55

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tTito wrote:https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/171/1712892/3499271-5.jpg

Bro, learn to post pictures. Also, try explaining what you're point is. If you're saying they look the same/similar, and you and internet geeks are able to see that, then how are we supposed to believe that it doesn't cross Amelia's mind when she's sat right in front of her? That was my point. She has the photo, and this person sitting 2 feet from her, and she doesn't see a similarity enough to raise a flag? I guess we'll see if the next episode reveals that Amelia did recognize her, but if so, I'm still not sure about her having zero reaction.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7320886/fullcredits

If Julie isn't Shelly then why isn't there an actor identified as Shelly?

scratch
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next