Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

+12
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
Death Roe
TheReal_LWS
Other Teams Pursuing That
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense Empty Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-05, 09:59

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

A trail jogger in Colorado successfully defended himself Monday against a mountain lion that attacked him from behind. The cat is dead, and the man is recovering in a local hospital.

The jogger, whose identity has not been released, was running alone in the foothills of the Horsetooth Mountain Park in northern Colorado when, he said, he heard something behind him on the trail. As he turned to investigate, the juvenile mountain lion lunged.

The jogger said he was bitten on the face and wrist, according to the Coloradoan. But he was able to fight back, killing the young mountain lion. The man's injuries were serious, but not life-threatening, and he was able to get himself to a local hospital.

Colorado state park officials later found the body of the juvenile mountain lion near several possessions that the jogger asked officers to recover for him. The body of the big cat was taken to a state health lab for examination. It possibly weighed at least 80 pounds, the Coloradoan said.

Apparently he suffocated the cat with his bare hands... what a badass! (outside of him being a trailrunner, of course)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense Empty Re: Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:00

Where do I protest this awful killing? I hear the mountain lion was named Cecil II.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense Empty Re: Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

Post by Death Roe 2019-02-05, 10:02

TheReal_LWS wrote:Where do I protest this awful killing? I hear the mountain lion was named Cecil II.

Killing a mountain lion in self defense is way more justifiable than paying to hunt a badass lion for "sport" and then taking pictures of its dead corpse.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-05, 10:02

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense

A trail jogger in Colorado successfully defended himself Monday against a mountain lion that attacked him from behind. The cat is dead, and the man is recovering in a local hospital.

The jogger, whose identity has not been released, was running alone in the foothills of the Horsetooth Mountain Park in northern Colorado when, he said, he heard something behind him on the trail. As he turned to investigate, the juvenile mountain lion lunged.

The jogger said he was bitten on the face and wrist, according to the Coloradoan. But he was able to fight back, killing the young mountain lion. The man's injuries were serious, but not life-threatening, and he was able to get himself to a local hospital.

Colorado state park officials later found the body of the juvenile mountain lion near several possessions that the jogger asked officers to recover for him. The body of the big cat was taken to a state health lab for examination. It possibly weighed at least 80 pounds, the Coloradoan said.

Apparently he suffocated the cat with his bare hands... what a badass! (outside of him being a trailrunner, of course)
this story has legs..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:03

Death Roe wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:Where do I protest this awful killing? I hear the mountain lion was named Cecil II.

Killing a mountain lion in self defense is way more justifiable than paying to hunt a badass lion for "sport" and then taking pictures of its dead corpse.

Says who?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-05, 10:03

Is this a response from the new, farcical LWS or the old, asshat LWS?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:03

tGreenWay wrote:

Yes.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-05, 10:06

TheReal_LWS wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yes.

So, when can we expect yet another of your mea culpas and promises to be better?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:08

tGreenWay wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Yes.

So, when can we expect yet another of your mea culpas and promises to be better?

Right now. I am sorry. I will try to do better.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-05, 10:10

TheReal_LWS wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Please, get back on your meds.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:11

tGreenWay wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Please, get back on your meds.

Meds? Pashaw.......my drug is life.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-05, 10:11

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense Ef4
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-05, 10:22

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense Downlo10
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-05, 11:07

That dude is a bad ass
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-05, 11:12

I bet the scenery was breathtaking.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-05, 12:18

Wow, even if I was strong enough to beat back a mountain lion, I wonder if I wouldn't be so scared that I wouldn't be able to think through that stuff. As other's have said, guy is a bad ass
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-02-05, 12:39

I couldn’t even kill a house cat with my bare hands.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-05, 12:45

DWags wrote:Wow, even if I was strong enough to beat back a mountain lion, I wonder if I wouldn't be so scared that I wouldn't be able to think through that stuff. As other's have said, guy is a bad ass
I'd say his sympathetic nervous system kicked in pretty freakin' quick. Fight or flight being what it is, and all..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-07, 13:35

Guy posted on our Nextdoor feed that he saw a cougar (the mountain lion kind not the Jennifer Aniston kind) off of Rochester Rd near Square Lake last night.

I probed him a little bit, he says there's no way it was a bobcat, etc, it was at least 150 lbs.

I think he was probably on LSD. In a populated area like this he can not be the only one to have seen it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-07, 13:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Guy posted on our Nextdoor feed that he saw a cougar (the mountain lion kind not the Jennifer Aniston kind) off of Rochester Rd near Square Lake last night.

I probed him a little bit, he says there's no way it was a bobcat, etc, it was at least 150 lbs.

I think he was probably on LSD. In a populated area like this he can not be the only one to have seen it.

It's probably the same one I saw around my woodpile when I lived off Mound between 19 & 59 back in 2003.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-07, 13:42

Story time Floyd.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-07, 13:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Guy posted on our Nextdoor feed that he saw a cougar (the mountain lion kind not the Jennifer Aniston kind) off of Rochester Rd near Square Lake last night.

Thanks for the distinction, because there are plenty of Jennifer Aniston kind cougars in the Rochester Rd - Square Lake Rd area.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-07, 14:05

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-07, 14:07

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Story time Floyd.

So back in '99 the ex and I moved into this still developing sub a block west off Mound around what you might say is 19.5 mile. Back then it was all woods between our sub and 59 to the north. That Walmart/AMC 30 plaza wasn't there yet. None of the condos between our sub and Walmart were there either. Anyway, even after that was built around 2001 there were still some woodlands in the area, a good 6-8 acres around crazy Barney's (RIP, probably) place off Mound and the nearby weird florist place.

I had already seen a coyote our there. Watched it take a dump in a cleared section between to wooded areas. Called the Sterling Hts nature people to come take a took at the poop and they confirmed it I wasn't seeing things. Definitely coyote poop. That was not long after 9/11 as I recall.

There were still a shit load of deer in there area too, FWIW.

Anyway, early one evening in spring 2003 (maybe 2002) I'm looking out my kitchen window toward the woods behind my house, near where I saw the coyote. I had a woodpile there at the edge of the woods. Distance is maybe 50' from the window to the woodpile, which only stood about 2-3' high late in fire burning season. That was when I saw this cougar staring at me over the woodpile. We locked eyes for a minute and then it moved on to the south, disappearing back into the woods.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-07, 14:13

Floyd Robertson wrote:

So back in '99 the ex and I moved into this still developing sub a block west off Mound around what you might say is 19.5 mile. Back then it was all woods between our sub and 59 to the north. That Walmart/AMC 30 plaza wasn't there yet. None of the condos between our sub and Walmart were there either. Anyway, even after that was built around 2001 there were still some woodlands in the area, a good 6-8 acres around crazy Barney's (RIP, probably) place off Mound and the nearby weird florist place.

I had already seen a coyote our there. Watched it take a dump in a cleared section between to wooded areas. Called the Sterling Hts nature people to come take a took at the poop and they confirmed it I wasn't seeing things. Definitely coyote poop. That was not long after 9/11 as I recall.

Anyway, early one evening in spring 2003 (maybe 2002) I'm looking out my kitchen window toward the woods behind my house, near where I saw the coyote. I had a woodpile there at the edge of the woods. Distance is maybe 50' from the window to the woodpile, which only stood about 2-3' high late in fire burning season. That was when I saw this cougar staring at me over the woodpile. We locked eyes for a minute and then it moved on to the south, disappearing back into the woods.

Were you on a diet at the time?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-07, 14:21

Floyd Robertson wrote:

You gotta be careful. Them coyote terrorists is sneaky sumbitches.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-07, 14:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:

You sure it wasn't a house cat Floyd? Sometimes they eat a lot and get big.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-07, 14:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

You sure it wasn't a house cat Floyd? Sometimes they eat a lot and get big.

I've never seen a house cat with a head nearly the size of a basketball.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-02-07, 15:11

Colorado Runner Kills Mountain Lion In Self-Defense 59511b63e5d6ad02c0f96ed67084880e
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-02-07, 15:57

Must have missed this thread before. The extent of my experience with mountain lions is strictly from playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and I know those things straight up ruin your shit. This dude is a badass.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-02-07, 16:06

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Must have missed this thread before. The extent of my experience with mountain lions is strictly from playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and I know those things straight up ruin your shit. This dude is a badass.

I fucking hate those bitches!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-07, 16:59

Mountain lions are confirmed in Michigan by now, right? The DNR stopped being cheap and tin foil haty?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-07, 17:11

My understanding is that since they've not found carcasses they still do not believe the sightings. People are stupid and can mistake bobcats for cougars.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-07, 17:14

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Mountain lions are confirmed in Michigan by now, right? The DNR stopped being cheap and tin foil haty?

Pretty much. They confirmed a sighting in mid Michigan near I want to say Grand Blanc a few years ago. I know there have been she sightings in the Northern lower as well. To my knowledge they have not had a confirmed sighting in the Detroit area.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-07, 17:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Mountain lions are confirmed in Michigan by now, right? The DNR stopped being cheap and tin foil haty?

Pretty much. They confirmed a sighting in mid Michigan near I want to say Grand Blanc a few years ago. I know there have been she sightings in the Northern lower as well. To my knowledge they have not had a confirmed sighting in the Detroit area.

Not according to their site:

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79135_79218_79619_84911_84912-153232--,00.html
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-02-07, 17:30

I have a photo of a print by the Manistee river that I’m pretty sure is a cougar. See if i can dig it up. Maybe it’s a dog.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-07, 18:05

TheReal_LWS wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Not according to their site:

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79135_79218_79619_84911_84912-153232--,00.html

Not so fast... The DNR confirmed a sighting in Bath Twp. a couple of years ago. That’s about a mile and a half north of Bob and me. At this point, it’s my understanding they’ve confirmed sightings but have not yet found evidence they’re living here. The belief is still someone’s big cat pet escapes or was let loose, or one is just passing through.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-02-07, 18:40

I'm pretty sure he incapacitated it by grabbing it by the back of the neck first.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-02-07, 19:10

TheReal_LWS wrote:My understanding is that since they've not found carcasses they still do not believe the sightings. People are stupid and can mistake bobcats for cougars.

They did find it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-07, 19:36

Correct Greenie, that is the sighting I was referencing.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/2017/06/29/cougar-verified-first-time-mich-lower-peninsula/103290762/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next