Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.

+8
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
tTito
duffy munn
Dr. Strangelove
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
DWags
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  Empty Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.

Post by DWags 2019-02-11, 14:42

I wish Dantonio would have picked him up.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2019/02/11/pat-perles-headed-michigan-become-offensive-line-coach/2837428002/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  Empty Re: Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-11, 14:53

What a weird job it would be to sell um to a recruit. The article says his last coaching job was in 2013, so maybe he needs the money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  Empty Re: Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-11, 14:53

What does Sparty2nite think about this.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2019-02-11, 14:56

Maybe Saban will Enos him too
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-11, 15:23

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Maybe Saban will Enos him too

That would be hysterical.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-02-11, 15:58

Pat was quite a handful as a college aged drunk but he is a helluva football coach. Good for him landing the new gig.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-11, 17:44

duffy munn wrote:Pat was quite a handful as a college aged drunk but he is a helluva football coach. Good for him landing the new gig.

The apples fall close to the tree.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-02-11, 18:34

tTito wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Pat was quite a handful as a college aged drunk but he is a helluva football coach. Good for him landing the new gig.

You knew George when he was in college? Damn you old.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2019-02-11, 19:23

duffy munn wrote:
tTito wrote:

Wasn't EL dry when George was in college?
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-11, 20:03

PP could not possibly have been a bigger handful than Tim Moore. That guy was a maniac sober; get him liquored up, which was often, and he became the Tasmanian Devil with a chip on his shoulder. Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-02-11, 20:55

tGreenWay wrote:

PP could not possibly have been a bigger handful than Tim Moore. That guy was a maniac sober; get him liquored up, which was often, and he became the Tasmanian Devil with a chip on his shoulder. Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  502811600

So very true about Moore. He once tried to carry a full pitcher out of the bar at happy hour. Broad day light. I said: " Tim you can't do this". He picked me up by the throat and pinned me against the wall for a full 20 seconds. Literally picked me up off my feet. When I began to turn blue he calmly put me down and moved along with his beer. Steroids and alcohol are a bad combo.

Ran into to him a couple of years ago at a tailgate and we relived the story. He didn't really remember but apologized and said he wasn't surprised he did it.

BTW, he is now a prison guard at the clinton county jail in St Johns. God help the inmates.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-02-11, 21:04

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

So very true about Moore. He once tried to carry a full pitcher out of the bar at happy hour. Broad day light. I said: " Tim you can't do this". He picked me up by the throat and pinned me against the wall for a full 20 seconds. Literally picked me up off my feet. When I began to turn blue he calmly put me down and moved along with his beer. Steroids and alcohol are a bad combo.

Ran into to him a couple of years ago at a tailgate and we relived the story. He didn't really remember but apologized and said he wasn't surprised he did it.

BTW, he is now a prison guard at the clinton county jail in St Johns. God help the inmates.
yikes. Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  502811600

sounds like he found the right line of work. At least you didn't say "he's a counselor at a children's camp".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-02-11, 22:53

GreenWay has a cousin who recently took a job as a mod on a UM board. It’s a cousin from the BlueWay side of the family.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-12, 00:03

Turtleneck wrote:GreenWay has a cousin who recently took a job as a mod on a UM board. It’s a cousin from the BlueWay side of the family.

I hope you didn’t spend too much time working on that line, but I’m pretty sure you did.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 00:39

duffy munn wrote:
tTito wrote:

I met George in the late 1980's. My father was a very active booster and donor. There was an event where George and his coaching staff were in Grand Haven and my father took them out on his boat for a Saturday afternoon cruise. George poured about half a bottle of scotch on the rocks and drank it like a champ.

That stunt defense was crazy good until everyone figured it out. Just like press quarters.

The man was great coach and a great Spartan.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-12, 01:00

tTito wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I met George in the late 1980's. My father was a very active booster and donor. There was an event where George and his coaching staff were in Grand Haven and my father took them out on his boat for a Saturday afternoon cruise. George poured about half a bottle of scotch on the rocks and drank it like a champ.

That stunt defense was crazy good until everyone figured it out. Just like press quarters.

Weird statement. Are you proclaiming that Dantonio's system doesn't work any longer? Or giving the staff credit for adapting and throwing in new wrinkles while still running a base press quarters Defense?

Remember when morons on the other board in the mid 00s thought that the problem with the team was "Nardawg" and his defense? Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  1494614055
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-02-12, 07:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
tTito wrote:

Weird statement. Are you proclaiming that Dantonio's system doesn't work any longer? Or giving the staff credit for adapting and throwing in new wrinkles while still running a base press quarters Defense?

Remember when morons on the other board in the mid 00s thought that the problem with the team was "Nardawg" and his defense? Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  1494614055

It's just Tito being completely unable to say something good about anything MSU without throwing in a dig.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-12, 07:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
tTito wrote:

Yeah, color me confused on that statement. I attribute that to scoreboard watchers. When we aren't 13-1 or winning the Rose Cotton or making the playoffs, the whole team must suck, not just the offense. That defense was still a ton of fun to watch. Average offense and I really don't think we get such comments about the defense. We'd have won 10 or 11 games. Next years defense is going to be lights out. Just pray for a healthy line and QB that can throw a couple of outs and we'll be fine.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 12:47

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Yeah, color me confused on that statement.  I attribute that to scoreboard watchers.  When we aren't 13-1 or winning the Rose Cotton or making the playoffs, the whole team must suck, not just the offense.   That defense was still a ton of fun to watch.  Average offense and I really don't think we get such comments about the defense.  We'd have won 10 or 11 games.  Next years defense is going to be lights out.  Just pray for a healthy line and QB that can throw a couple of outs and we'll be fine.  

Narduzzi's l press quarters defense had weaknesses, just like any other defense. Oregon figured it out and then the cat was out of the bag. That's why we don't use it any more.  That's not saying anything negative about anybody, it's just what it is. This explains it pretty well.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/interesting-article-touching-on-why-narduzzi-msu-4-3-over-defense-struggles-against-spread-passing.169587/

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/3/13/14729248/surveying-the-wreckage-at-michigan-state-spartans-mark-dantonio
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-02-12, 13:09

tTito wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yeah, color me confused on that statement.  I attribute that to scoreboard watchers.  When we aren't 13-1 or winning the Rose Cotton or making the playoffs, the whole team must suck, not just the offense.   That defense was still a ton of fun to watch.  Average offense and I really don't think we get such comments about the defense.  We'd have won 10 or 11 games.  Next years defense is going to be lights out.  Just pray for a healthy line and QB that can throw a couple of outs and we'll be fine.  

Narduzzi's l press quarters defense had weaknesses, just like any other defense. Oregon figured it out and then the cat was out of the bag. That's why we don't use it any more. That's not saying anything negative about anybody, it's just what it is. This guy explains it pretty well.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/interesting-article-touching-on-why-narduzzi-msu-4-3-over-defense-struggles-against-spread-passing.169587/

Ummm...Oregon had a Heisman Trophy winning QB that year and played in the National Championship Game. Pretty sure they made a lot of defenses look bad.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-02-12, 13:38

tTito wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I wouldn't say people figured it out so much as we just stopped running it correctly.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-12, 15:18

Clarett's Folly wrote:
tTito wrote:

I wouldn't say people figured it out so much as we just stopped running it correctly.

Not challenging your statement, because I don’t know, but how is
that even possible? Wasn’t George one of the architects of that defense? And he let it be executed incorrectly? Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-02-12, 16:28

tGreenWay wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

that even possible? Wasn’t George one of the architects of that defense? And he let it be executed incorrectly? Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  502811600

I'm going off pretty anecdotal evidence here but back on the old board someone was sharing a YouTube video of the Penn State game from like 1992 or something. Batman Holloman was our RB at the time. I noticed that in almost every clip where PSU gashed us in the running game out Nose Tackle was straight-up vacating the A-gap almost right at the snap to go get into a contain position in the alley. Now the correct way to run that stunt is to hold the A-gap and only get into contain if the QB shows pass but our NT was doing it almost immediately leaving a wide-open running lane for PSU's RBs. I brought it up and said there was no way that was the correct way to run that stunt and later got a private message from some poster who claimed to have been a former player on that team and said I was correct. I guess before the season the DL coach had quit and George replaced him with a Grad Assistant who didn't know what he was doing, that George was pretty much checked-out on the job at that point, and that the staff were all just concerned with finding a safe landing spot because everyone thought firing was inevitable. Like I said, purely anecdotal but the story would seem to mesh with the on-field product.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-12, 17:50

Clarett's Folly wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'm going off pretty anecdotal evidence here but back on the old board someone was sharing a YouTube video of the Penn State game from like 1992 or something. Batman Holloman was our RB at the time. I noticed that in almost every clip where PSU gashed us in the running game out Nose Tackle was straight-up vacating the A-gap almost right at the snap to go get into a contain position in the alley. Now the correct way to run that stunt is to hold the A-gap and only get into contain if the QB shows pass but our NT was doing it almost immediately leaving a wide-open running lane for PSU's RBs. I brought it up and said there was no way that was the correct way to run that stunt and later got a private message from some poster who claimed to have been a former player on that team and said I was correct. I guess before the season the DL coach had quit and George replaced him with a Grad Assistant who didn't know what he was doing, that George was pretty much checked-out on the job at that point, and that the staff were all just concerned with finding a safe landing spot because everyone thought firing was inevitable. Like I said, purely anecdotal but the story would seem to mesh with the on-field product.

Hadn’t heard that story before, but it makes sense. Can’t recall the correct years, but within that time frame, GP was, among other things, and in no particular order: Looking at the AD job, flirting w/the NFL, being AD, fighting Dibiaggio, fighting Melville P. McPherson, an NCAA investigation, and drinking. And that’s only the stuff I’m aware of. Not a shock that the on-field product suffered. IIRC, six wins was the norm after the ‘87-‘88 Rose Bowl season.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 18:09

Narduzzi believed in keeping the defense as simple as he could. We would line up the corners in a hard press right on the line of scrimage and bring the safeties up into the box every single play.

Our current defense is 4-3 Over under Press 4 (quarters). The corners will, in certain situations hard press or soft press (2 yards off the line) and the safeties will cheat up. The problem press quarters every play is Darqueeze Dennard and Trae Waynes aren't on the team any more. Look what happened to Tre Person when he soft pressed Donovan Peoples-Jones.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-02-12, 18:20

tTito wrote:Narduzzi believed in keeping the defense as simple as he could. We would line up the corners in a hard press right on the line of scrimage and bring the safeties up into the box every single play.

Our current defense is 4-3 Over under Press 4 (quarters). The corners will, in certain situations hard press or soft press (2 yards off the line) and the safeties will cheat up. The problem press quarters every play is Darqueeze Dennard and Trae Waynes aren't on the team any more. Look what happened to Tre Person when he soft pressed Donovan Peoples-Jones.

So...we use it or don't use it any more?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 18:47

NigelUno wrote:
tTito wrote:Narduzzi believed in keeping the defense as simple as he could. We would line up the corners in a hard press right on the line of scrimage and bring the safeties up into the box every single play.

Nigel being Nigel.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-02-12, 18:54

tTito wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Nigel being Nigel.

So...we haven't used it since the Oregon game in 2014?

I think that's what you said.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 19:02

NigelUno wrote:
tTito wrote:

Nigel being Nigel.

If we run the read option 5 times a game does that mean we are a read option offense?

Maybe you have some substance you can add to the conversation or maybe you can, like always, just be a gigantic Capon.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-12, 19:07

Hmmm. I think he had one of the only defenses that would change blitzes on motion. He’s as aggressive as anyone and MSU pretty much still strips all three of their backers of any cutback responsibilities which is pretty unique. They show cover four drop to a three, zone blitz with any of five guys free strong star mike and ss. Under coverages often mess with qb’s reads. If you say it’s simple I guess you got it figured out. But simple defenses probably don’t do as well as ours did last year. Especially playing without our best corner.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-02-12, 19:15

tTito wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

If we run the read option 5 times a game does that mean we are a read option offense?

Maybe you have some substance you can add to the conversation or maybe you can, like always, just be a gigantic Capon.

Cat was out of the bag when we played EMU after that Oregon game? Even with Waynes? You're kind of glossing over that Oregon had a Heisman Trophy winning QB, right?

That was your substance? Heisman QB Mariota exposed our defense? OK.

And we changed after that? Got it. Thanks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 19:22

NigelUno wrote:
tTito wrote:

Cat was out of the bag when we played EMU after that Oregon game? Even with Waynes? You're kind of glossing over that Oregon had a Heisman Trophy winning QB, right?

The defense shut Mariota down the first three quarters. Then they scored 28 unanswered points. Remember now?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 19:28

DWags wrote:

Hmmm. I think he had one of the only defenses that would change blitzes on motion. He’s as aggressive as anyone and MSU pretty much still strips all three of their backers of any cutback responsibilities which is pretty unique. They show cover four drop to a three, zone blitz with any of five guys free strong star mike and ss. Under coverages often mess with qb’s reads. If you say it’s simple I guess you got it figured out. But simple defenses probably don’t do as well as ours did last year. Especially playing without our best corner.

So your saying Narduzzi's philosophy was to run a complex defensive scheme?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-02-12, 19:33

tTito wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

The defense shut Mariota down the first three quarters. Then they scored 28 unanswered points. Remember now?

Did we bring the safeties into the box every single play that game like you said?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 19:41

NigelUno wrote:
tTito wrote:

Did we bring the safeties into the box every single play that game like you said?

Do you characterize our 2018 defense as press quarters? If not, when did that change?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-12, 20:06

tTito wrote:
DWags wrote:

So are you saying because he was often two she’ll press corner “safeties in the box” it was a simple defense to attack? Because he defined verticals as anything deeper than 8 doesn’t mean his blitz packages in cover zero didn’t fuck with people. I guess I’m trying to figure out what you mean by “simple” ? Or easy to figure out. I mean everyone talked about the fade the quick out the deep seam to attack it but his blitzes or when he’d come out in third down and mix Tampa two with three man fronts wasn’t something opponents could spend an hour on in film. I guess we saw different things. So be it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-02-12, 20:46

DWags wrote:
tTito wrote:

So are you saying because he was often two she’ll press corner “safeties in the box” it was a simple defense to attack? Because he defined verticals as anything deeper than 8 doesn’t mean his blitz packages in cover zero didn’t fuck with people. I guess I’m trying to figure out what you mean by “simple” ? Or easy to figure out. I mean everyone talked about the fade the quick out the deep seam to attack it but his blitzes or when he’d come out in third down and mix Tampa two with three man fronts wasn’t something opponents could spend an hour on in film. I guess we saw different things. So be it.

Dude. When I said Narduzzi believed in simplicity, I meant he believed in simplicity of understanding the scheme, knowing your assignment, and executing. A great coach once said, it's not how you do it, but what you do.

This has nothing to do with aggressiveness, and nothing to do with effort. We lined up in the press quarters (no Nigel not every single play the entire seaon, sorry if I misled you) and that was the defense.

So I ask you again for the second time, do you consider the 2018 defense to be press quarters and if not, when did it change?

Just answer the question without asking a question Nigel Jr.

tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-12, 20:51

Pat Perles to become Michigan's Offensive line coach.  Tenor
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-12, 21:24

tTito wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yes.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-12, 21:28

tTito wrote:

This has nothing to do with aggressiveness, and nothing to do with effort. We lined up in the press quarters (no Nigel not every single play the entire seaon, sorry if I misled you) and that was the defense.

Here’s an article about how simple it is to play defense. Just line up and go I guess

Not many rules. Just play.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next