Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

+23
NigelUno
MSU addict
Trapper Gus
Turtleneck
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
27 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 pm

pulling69 wrote:He obviously took action out against himself....His final bet is super weak considering what he usually does. What a clown.
kind of what I thought, as well - maybe he threw the last match just before surpassing Jennings??

who knows - I suspect conspiracy theories abound.. but maybe he did some sort of calculation where he figured he could sell more books, gain more fame, etc. by losing the match in which he would become the all-time champ vs. actually becoming the all-time champ while everyone at home yawns?

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 Empty Re: Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:11 pm

[tw]1135926446667358208[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Someone said the wsop starts really soon. He couldn't do both.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1135926446667358208[/tw]
yeah, pretty sure the "leak" was ok'd by the Jeopardy folks.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1135926446667358208[/tw]

No doubt.

The bigger question is, who decided his run was over?

ps. I never watched any of it, so I don't know crap.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Luck of the draw, no secret deal.

Who beat Holzhauer, a professional gambler with a math degree?

A 27 year old research librarian who studied the game like Holzhauer, practiced buzzing in like Holzhauer, kept a record of topics and was trying to get on the show since she was 18.

Neither she nor Holzhauer missed a question.  Both played perfect games.

However I suspect Jeopardy's producers are upgrading their insurance because Holzhauer's winnings exceeded their winnings budget.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

No doubt.

I'm not going to say he deliberately lost last night.. but I do think he didn't mind at all that he lost. Certainly not to take anything away from the lady that beat him last night - she was great, but he was a lot more nonchalant in his approach.

on Final Jeopardy, he was wagering massive amounts.. last night he wagered about, what, $1,900 or so?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm

He knew the math. If he went all in he would have still lost.

He's got a degree in math and even when he was winning he never wagered enough to lose by a greedy bet. Its just no one was ever ahead or close except for one other contestant in 30 of the 31 previous games.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

No doubt.

I'm not going to say he deliberately lost last night.. but I do think he didn't mind at all that he lost. Certainly not to take anything away from the lady that beat him last night - she was great, but he was a lot more nonchalant in his approach.

on Final Jeopardy, he was wagering massive amounts.. last night he wagered about, what, $1,900 or so?
He was up against a librarian on a question about Shakespeare. Not only that but she did her Masters Thesis on Jeopardy and whether the clues helped with the answers, or something like that. He probably knew his only hope was her missing the answer.
He also got unlucky that his first square was the daily double.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

He was up against a librarian on a question about Shakespeare. Not only that but she did her Masters Thesis on Jeopardy and whether the clues helped with the answers, or something like that. He probably knew his only hope was her missing the answer.
that's true - he wasn't able to bet his usual $19,271.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
that's true - he wasn't able to bet his usual $19,271.

You know he was betting dates? He bet his daughters Bday, wife's Bday, anniversary, nephews and other families bday's. So $11585, might be his wife birthday.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 pm

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: that's true - he wasn't able to bet his usual $19,271.

You know he was betting dates? He bet his daughters Bday, wife's Bday, anniversary, nephews and other families bday's. So $11585, might be his wife birthday.
I think I read that..

when I started this thread, as I mentioned, I thought he was a total dick - Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 502811600 - but he kind of grew on me over time. It was sweet when last night Alex showed the "get well" card that James's daughter made for hm.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:He knew the math. If he went all in he would have still lost.
Exactly, it was calculated. There was zero question of what the librarian's bet would be at a minimum. She wasn't going to bet an amount that would allow him to overcome her if he bet everything.

He knew that his only chance to win was if she got the answer wrong. So he bets small enough to still be ahead of her if she gets it wrong (knowing she'd bet a ton), and I believe would have been enough to still beat the other guy if the other guy bet everything and got it right, and James got it wrong (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember what the other guy had and don't feel like trying to find out).

No conspiracy, just common sense and knowing the logical plays of the opponents.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:19 pm

That makes sense Miami.The other guy had 10k and change. James had 22k and change. James bet under 2k.

Last edited by Nordic on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:19 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Someone said the wsop starts really soon. He couldn't do both.

He as done filming a while ago, he could have kept winning and still done the WSOP as well.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:He knew the math. If he went all in he would have still lost.
Exactly, it was calculated. There was zero question of what the librarian's bet would be at a minimum. She wasn't going to bet an amount that would allow him to overcome her if he bet everything.

He knew that his only chance to win was if she got the answer wrong. So he bets small enough to still be ahead of her if she gets it wrong (knowing she'd bet a ton), and I believe would have been enough to still beat the other guy if the other guy bet everything and got it right, and James got it wrong (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember what the other guy had and don't feel like trying to find out).

No conspiracy, just common sense and knowing the logical plays of the opponents.

She bet enough that even if he doubled up, he would have lost by $1. Holzhauer bet enough so that the third place guy couldn't catch him by doubling up. It's pretty clear that he knew his only path to victory was her missing the question.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:57 pm

I've been watching Amy's run the last couple of weeks, and she's amazing, but it's not very compelling. She just runs away with it every night.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:49 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've been watching Amy's run the last couple of weeks, and she's amazing, but it's not very compelling. She just runs away with it every night.
true.

I like her, but she doesn't have that obnoxious, smarmy approach that Holzhauer had.  He was kind of a tool but it made for good TV in this day and age.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:55 pm

Who is the host?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:38 am

Turtleneck wrote:Who is the host?
Ken Jennings sometimes and Mayim Bialik sometimes.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:56 pm

Amy just tied James Holzhauer's days with consecutive wins.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:57 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Amy just tied James Holzhauer's days with consecutive wins.

A little bit closer margin of victory tonight. Only $20,000 lol.

32 straight is impressive.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 pm

40 was Amy's magic number, beaten by a bespectacled Chicago librarian.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:48 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:40 was Amy's magic number, beaten by a bespectacled Chicago librarian.

Watched. Here’s how they eliminated her: questions were dummied down so her opponents had a chance. Sure she messed up on Bangladesh but I found I knew a ton of answers and there is no way I would have or I did the few times I watched her before.

My suspicion is that if she was beautiful or more of a villain they don’t dummy down answers. (Tin foil hat on for jeopardy lol) She was neither so she had to go.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 am

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:40 was Amy's magic number, beaten by a bespectacled Chicago librarian.

Watched. Here’s how they eliminated her: questions were dummied down so her opponents had a chance. Sure she messed up on Bangladesh but I found I knew a ton of answers and there is no way I would have or I did the few times I watched her before.

My suspicion is that if she was beautiful or more of a villain they don’t dummy down answers. (Tin foil hat on for jeopardy lol) She was neither so she had to go.

That is some serious tin foil hatting. It was basically playing out like most of her games. She has a huge lead, with like $25k, and the next closest has 7 or 8k. Then that dude gets the daily double, goes all in, and got it. That puts him within range of being able to win if he gets the final right and she gets it wrong, which is what happened.

I've seen a shocking number of times where people are in a similar large deficit to her and puss out on the daily double. So it's basically one question, that just happened to fall to him as the daily double, and he happened to not puss out on the bet.

I think I gave that way too much thought.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

MSU addict, Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

That is some serious tin foil hatting. It was basically playing out like most of her games. She has a huge lead, with like $25k, and the next closest has 7 or 8k. Then that dude gets the daily double, goes all in, and got it. That puts him within range of being able to win if he gets the final right and she gets it wrong, which is what happened.

I've seen a shocking number of times where people are in a similar large deficit to her and puss out on the daily double. So it's basically one question, that just happened to fall to him as the daily double, and he happened to not puss out on the bet.

Pretty good play by play ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 am

Ticked me off that 8 minutes into the episode the NYT app on my phone sent me an alert that she lost. I then found out that the Chicago Tribune had published an article two hours earlier that she lost to their local librarian. F'ing spoilers.

I don't think they dumbed it down for Amy to lose, but last night did have easier questions in most categories. Like Amy, I got stumped by Bangladesh. The NFL tie-in was LAME. If they want to ask those questions, fine, just don't show the pictures.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 am

She was a good champion. My favorite of all the "big ones". Gracious, humble.. didn't have the smarminess of James, etc.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Watched. Here’s how they eliminated her:  questions were dummied down so her opponents had a chance. Sure she messed up on Bangladesh but I found I knew a ton of answers and there is no way I would have or I did the few times I watched her before.  

That is some serious tin foil hatting.  It was basically playing out like most of her games.  She has a huge lead, with like $25k, and the next closest has 7 or 8k.  Then that dude gets the daily double, goes all in, and got it.  That puts him within range of being able to win if he gets the final right and she gets it wrong, which is what happened.  

I've seen a shocking number of times where people are in a similar large deficit to her and puss out on the daily double.  So it's basically one question, that just happened to fall to him as the daily double, and he happened to not puss out on the bet.

I really don't watch the show much, but you make a good point about the daily double.  Second place gets $2,000, third $1,000 - so it makes sense to go all in if you are behind.

If you wanted to tin foil hat it - suggest they picked a final jeopardy category that she is not particularly strong in. Or better yet - they give differing daily double questions (harder/easier) to contestants they want to eliminate/promote as the question comes up on a video screen.

Last edited by MSU addict on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:13 am

I have those same exact glasses.

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 Screen%20Shot%202022-01-27%20at%207.10.57%20AM
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am

NigelUno wrote:

I have those same exact glasses.

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 Screen%20Shot%202022-01-27%20at%207.10.57%20AM

I thought everyone did?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:She was a good champion. My favorite of all the "big ones". Gracious, humble.. didn't have the smarminess of James, etc.

I’ll definitely be pulling for her in tournament of champions.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 pm

MSU addict wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I really don't watch the show much, but you make a good point about the daily double. Second place gets $2,000, third $1,000 - so it makes sense to go all in if your are behind.

If you wanted to tin foil hat it - suggest they picked a final jeopardy category that she is not particularly strong in.

Coincidentally, that’s what Kingston’s lady said to you last night. Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 1494614055 Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? - Page 2 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm

Probably have told this story before, but the lady below was a teacher at the school I was at. She's wicked smart, and has a SAT tuturing business that is used by the big shots on the east side. She raised my daughters ACT score 4 or 5 points, and my youngest SAT by over 100. She knows what she's doing.

She was up to 125K here on WWTBAM and got the question wrong. I'll let you guys watch to see where she messed up. We made a big fake check up for 93 grand when she got back to school.

She was also a winner on Jeopardy. 23 K or so, she came in second on the next show. We called her the "Game. sho ho". But she made 57K off the two shows. We had a viewing party at a bar for the Jeopardy appearance and her and her husband didn't tell anyone if she had won. (I knew, so I assumed others did too but I kept quiet. It was funny as we were cheering when she'd get one right and booing when her opponents would. Bar all thought we were nuts.

NY and WWTBAM wrote her a check for 32K and said you pay the taxes, all on her. Jeopardy in California took their money out before they sent her the rest.

In order to be on Jeopardy, she had to go to some tournament in Chicago. She won or had her name placed in a pool of names they would call. When they call you, they say "Can you be in California on so and so date" if you can't, your name is removed and you're done. It was during our Easter break for Jeopardy, so she went. Before I retired I always admired the signed autograph picture of her and Trebek on her desk. Pretty cool. Can't remember the exact dates of each show, but WWTBAM was pre 911.

She's currently applying for some show called "chase" or something like that. Her husband is an MSU grad, but she's not.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm

BY THE WAY, I told her that if it was me, (it wouldn't have been cause I would have froze under pressure) and I was at that point, unless I was 100% sure of the answer I would have told Regis I'm out with 125K. She said her friend there is way more wicked smart than she is and she thought it was the same answer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:59 pm

DWags wrote:Probably have told this story before, but the lady below was a teacher at the school I was at. She's wicked smart, and has a SAT tuturing business that is used by the big shots on the east side. She raised my daughters ACT score 4 or 5 points, and my youngest SAT by over 100. She knows what she's doing.

She was up to 125K here on WWTBAM and got the question wrong. I'll let you guys watch to see where she messed up. We made a big fake check up for 93 grand when she got back to school.

She was also a winner on Jeopardy. 23 K or so, she came in second on the next show. We called her the "Game. sho ho". But she made 57K off the two shows. We had a viewing party at a bar for the Jeopardy appearance and her and her husband didn't tell anyone if she had won. (I knew, so I assumed others did too but I kept quiet. It was funny as we were cheering when she'd get one right and booing when her opponents would. Bar all thought we were nuts.

NY and WWTBAM wrote her a check for 32K and said you pay the taxes, all on her. Jeopardy in California took their money out before they sent her the rest.

In order to be on Jeopardy, she had to go to some tournament in Chicago. She won or had her name placed in a pool of names they would call. When they call you, they say "Can you be in California on so and so date" if you can't, your name is removed and you're done. It was during our Easter break for Jeopardy, so she went. Before I retired I always admired the signed autograph picture of her and Trebek on her desk. Pretty cool. Can't remember the exact dates of each show, but WWTBAM was pre 911.

She's currently applying for some show called "chase" or something like that. Her husband is an MSU grad, but she's not.

Th original chase is better than the new one on abc
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:03 pm

So do feminists get mad when trans women get credit for stuff?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Rhone the Librarian was a one-hit wonder.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Rhone the Librarian was a one-hit wonder.

Floyd I'm about 8 episodes behind come on man
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:07 pm

aualum06 wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Rhone the Librarian was a one-hit wonder.

Floyd I'm about 8 episodes behind come on man

Well the good news is you won't be emotionally invested in Rhone and his glasses.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next