Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Bob Dylan that bad live?

+8
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
duffy munn
DWags
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
12 posters

Go down

Is Bob Dylan that bad live? Empty Is Bob Dylan that bad live?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 00:52

So he’s coming to town and playing a pretty small venue so I got intrigued... did some additional digging and a few friends said he sucked live. More digging, the internet seems to agree and this isn’t even just recently because of age - he’s always been bad and doesn’t give a fuck?

Bob? D wags?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is Bob Dylan that bad live? Empty Re: Is Bob Dylan that bad live?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 01:33

Went down some rabbit holes online and watched him get some award from Obama and it was fucking hilarious to see him wearing his shades inside and not even give the former pres a handshake. Taps him on the shoulder and walks out with the medal on Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 1966794946

I must know more. What’s this guy’s deal? I’m even more intrigued now by his not giving a fuck. Maybe I’ll waste the money and see him.

Apparently he doesn’t even say a word to the audience at shows and doesn’t move. Awesome. lol!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-01, 01:52

I’m having the same dilemma. He’s coming to Wharton and I’ve heard he’s just not much in concert. OTOH, am I going to regret not seeing one of the all time greats live? I still beat myself up for not trying harder to see B.B. King before he departed for the Hereafter.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-01, 05:28

I think he’s a boomer
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-01, 06:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:So he’s coming to town and playing a pretty small venue so I got intrigued... did some additional digging and a few friends said he sucked live. More digging, the internet seems to agree and this isn’t even just recently because of age - he’s always been bad and doesn’t give a fuck?

Bob? D wags?

Yes. Some legends shouldn’t be watched when they hit a stage of their life that their handlers seem to be using their Luke warm corpse to make more money. I compare him to my father in law. I guy who was always active and did a ton of stuff but at 82 just can’t anymore.

So, if he’s on your bucket list, go. But know it’s going to be pretty bad.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-01, 06:05

Should this be put in the thread “surprise us with a celebrity that is still alive”
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-10-01, 07:01

I saw Dylan over 20 years ago from the 5th row at Meadowbrook. He was awful. I can't imagine he would be any better now.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-10-01, 07:59

How old is he? Gotta be pushing 80.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-10-01, 08:13

we're not talking about the Dylan of the 60's.. and I haven't seen him in years but if you're interested in being able to say you were in the same room with a music and cultural icon, I'd say you go..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-01, 08:25

I’ve seen him twice. Once in Madison Square Garden and I thought it was actually really good. Place was way into it.

Saw him again a few years ago and I thought it was even better...he was doing a bunch of Sinatra and Tony Bennet numbers along with some classics. My only complaint is a bunch of people were there that didn’t really know his music and were staring at their phones and talking the entire time. I felt like I was Steve Buscemi in TempeTantrum World watching that delta blues artist while everyone else was waiting for Blues Hammer.

https://youtu.be/ZaM6lTmhnak
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-01, 08:28

Also, the Doc was a huge fan. He would tell you to go.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 09:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we're not talking about the Dylan of the 60's.. and I haven't seen him in years but if you're interested in being able to say you were in the same room with a music and cultural icon, I'd say you go..

This seems to be the thing.. going for the experience not necessarily the music. It’s a venue that’s under 4k, not some big arena to make it worse.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 09:08

tGreenWay wrote:I’m having the same dilemma. He’s coming to Wharton and I’ve heard he’s just not much in concert. OTOH, am I going to regret not seeing one of the all time greats live? I still beat myself up for not trying harder to see B.B. King before he departed for the Hereafter.

Same, except with Tom Petty.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-01, 10:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:we're not talking about the Dylan of the 60's.. and I haven't seen him in years but if you're interested in being able to say you were in the same room with a music and cultural icon, I'd say you go..

This seems to be the thing.. going for the experience not necessarily the music. It’s a venue that’s under 4k, not some big arena to make it worse.

I'd definitely go just to go. I think you know you're not going to be knocked out of your socks at the performance. I remember tTy complaining about him at Interlochen. He had bought tickets about 3 years ago for him and his friends and he was complaining on this board about how bad he was. I have no doubt it wasn't a great concert, but what were the expectations going in. It's like this Saturday's game OTPT. We all know what's probably coming, if it's something else, we'll be surprised and happy. It it's what we expect, we leave, knowing "what the hell did we expect".

My vote: Please go. You'll regret not seeing him when he's gone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-01, 11:08

DWags wrote:

I'd definitely go just to go. I think you know you're not going to be knocked out of your socks at the performance. I remember tTy complaining about him at Interlochen. He had bought tickets about 3 years ago for him and his friends and he was complaining on this board about how bad he was. I have no doubt it wasn't a great concert, but what were the expectations going in. It's like this Saturday's game OTPT. We all know what's probably coming, if it's something else, we'll be surprised and happy. It it's what we expect, we leave, knowing "what the hell did we expect".

Yeah, I think you have to prepare for a train wreck. No question about it. I got lucky with the good shows. His band he's been touring with recently is very tight and really good so I think on the last tour he had a string of good shows.

Also, sometimes the train wreck is fun to watch. I remember the Doc posting a vid that he possibly shot of a train wreck song and I actually thought it was kind of funny.

Also, to everyone elses point yes you are in the room with a HOF legend so that's part of the experience.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-10-01, 11:15

You should just go why not.

Otpt go make your pick em picks. It’s open now. It’s in the other thread. Go make your picks.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 11:26

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Otpt go make your pick em picks. It’s open now. It’s in the other thread. Go make your picks.

Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 502811600 I’m in like last fucking place. Turns out picking 5 nfl games a week is not the answer. Thanks for the reminder.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-01, 11:30

I grew up with Bob Dylan playing on the old man's record player. He's great, but barely understandable 40 years ago. If you want to say you saw him, sure go. Just don't expect to understand a word that he says.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 11:38

DWags wrote:

You’re a smart man d wags Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 969504605
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-10-01, 11:45

A couple upper level seats left at $10,333 on Viagogo, or you can go direct to Wharton Center and get some tier 3 seats for $58.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 11:55

Jake from State Farm wrote:A couple upper level seats left at $10,333 on Viagogo, or you can go direct to Wharton Center and get some tier 3 seats for $58.

$158 on Stubhub for GA in Denver. Seats under 4,000 and it can actually adjust.. "It's designed to grow and shrink depending on attendance expectations, with a movable stage mounted on trolleys that can change the room from 2,200-capacity to 3,950-capacity."

https://www.missionballroom.com/

The price pulls me one way, the size of the venue pulls me the other, while the shitty reviews and maybe or maybe not understanding the fucking guy pulls me another
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-10-01, 12:07

Jake from State Farm wrote:A couple upper level seats left at $10,333 on Viagogo, or you can go direct to Wharton Center and get some tier 3 seats for $58.

$158 on Stubhub for GA in Denver. Seats under 4,000 and it can actually adjust.. "It's designed to grow and shrink depending on attendance expectations, with a movable stage mounted on trolleys that can change the room from 2,200-capacity to 3,950-capacity."

The price pulls me one way, the size of the venue pulls me the other, while the shitty reviews and maybe or maybe not understanding the fucking guy pulls me another

Yeah, I'm thinking about going. Not real sure if I want to sit and listen to a guy that can barely sing any longer.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 12:20

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking about going. Not real sure if I want to sit and listen to a guy that can barely sing any longer.

You’d think if the guy did not give a fuck he’d just stop performing but i guess he’s just doing it for himself
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-10-01, 12:25

it's a little over 9:00 long, but this is pretty classic.. Bob Dylan totally befuddled during the recording of "We Are The World".

he literally has no idea what the fuck is going on. Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-01, 12:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's a little over 9:00 long, but this is pretty classic.. Bob Dylan totally befuddled during the recording of "We Are The World".

he literally has no idea what the fuck is going on. Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 502811600

"legend has it that stevie wonder is still playing the melody line for bob to this day"

Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 1966794946 Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-01, 13:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's a little over 9:00 long, but this is pretty classic.. Bob Dylan totally befuddled during the recording of "We Are The World".

I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like his 80's stuff. I thought he tore it up in that song. Really like his appearance on Letterman too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP85Uc6H79U

Performed with an LA punk band that brought some pretty good energy. Pretty good read --- https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/strange-saga-of-dylans-first-letterman-gig.html
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-10-01, 13:32

steveschneider wrote:

he literally has no idea what the fuck is going on.   Is Bob Dylan that bad live? 502811600

I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like his 80's stuff. I thought he tore it up in that song. Really like his appearance on Letterman too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP85Uc6H79U

Performed with an LA punk band that brought some pretty good energy. Pretty good read --- https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/strange-saga-of-dylans-first-letterman-gig.html
can't really comment on his 80's stuff that much, but "Time Out of Mind" from (I believe) the late 90's was a great record.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-01, 13:51

I really loved his song Like a Rhinestone Cowboy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-10-01, 13:55

tGreenWay wrote:I really loved his song Like a Rhinestone Cowboy.
I know a lot of people really liked 'Pink Houses', but I prefer his deeper cuts.. like 'Boogie Wonderland' or 'We Didn't Start The Fire".

he always seemed really defensive when performing "We Didn't Start The Fire".. I mean, I don't recall anyone accusing him of starting the fire.. but, man, he sure was hellbent on denying it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-01, 14:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I really loved his song Like a Rhinestone Cowboy.
I know a lot of people really liked 'Pink Houses', but I prefer his deeper cuts.. like 'Boogie Wonderland' or 'We Didn't Start The Fire".

he always seemed really defensive when performing "We Didn't Start The Fire".. I mean, I don't recall anyone accusing him of starting the fire.. but, man, he sure was hellbent on denying it.

Yup. Might’ve been the only time everyone knew exactly what he was saying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-10-01, 14:49

I saw Robert Palmer at the Michigan Festival. He was pretty good.

Wait what are we talking about?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-10-01, 15:00

Rocinante wrote:I saw Robert Palmer at the Michigan Festival. He was pretty good.

Wait what are we talking about?

Surfing in Oregon, where have you been?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-01, 15:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

can't really comment on his 80's stuff that much, but "Time Out of Mind" from (I believe) the late 90's was a great record.

Yep, I love Time Out of Mind. Great title as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down