Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason

+6
Dendrobates
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
10 posters

Go down

MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason Empty MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 pm

What is this shit? I'm hoping it's fabricated.

[tw]1186366281596850176[/tw]
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason Empty Re: MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason

Post by tGreenWay Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:40 pm

It’s real.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason Empty Re: MSU (the University) continues to step on its' dick for no reason

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 pm

It's gaining traction online...will be top billing on the Freep and News sites by morning, I can almost guarantee it.

Well done MSU! jocolor
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:45 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's gaining traction online...will be top billing on the Freep and News sites by morning, I can almost guarantee it.

Well done MSU! jocolor

It’s already in the local paper, with lots of quotes. One idiot professor who didn’t bother to think things through, and who only tossed in a disclaimer at the end instead of an explanation and the now-popular trigger warning like he should have.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 pm

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2019/10/22/msu-survey-racist-slur-ephithet-students-black-muslim-asian-stereotypes-michigan-state/4063202002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks for the link but ugh. Reckless behavior.

I did see an email from President Stanley this evening but I haven't read it yet.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am

on the upside, at least our "dude, what the actual fuck?" portfolio is diversified and not restricted to just the athletic department/administration.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am

So, like, isn't there a committee that approves stuff like this and asks "will this give us another black eye" or did that committee fail too?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:So, like, isn't there a committee that approves stuff like this and asks "will this give us another black eye" or did that committee fail too?
the committee dissolved after giving itself too many black eyes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 am

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 am

Does anyone not think....

Hmm this could be really bad for the university? ‘‘Tis is not tough stuff to think about.

Jesus Christ, just taking the hits and steps back. I get the students concerns saying they don’t feel say. Just spreading those awful quotes could trigger some messed up people and give them ideas .
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:50 am

It asked them to rate statements taken directly from social media, Google, Reddit and other internet locations by scoring how stereotypical, funny, offensive, positive or prejudiced the comments were as part of a study testing how people respond to racist online speech. wrote:

Well, if that's what the survey wanted the survey just got it's answer...... Big time.

Honestly, Not one person said "maybe this is bad' before they hit send.

I'm assuming the guy gets fired.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:56 am

I guess I’d have to know more about the study but...

“Saleem Alhabash, an associate professor of public relations and social media in the College of Communications Arts & Sciences, sent his survey to select students Monday through Qualtrics, a survey tool.

It asked them to rate statements taken directly from social media, Google, Reddit and other internet locations by scoring how stereotypical, funny, offensive, positive or prejudiced the comments were as part of a study testing how people respond to racist online speech. ”

I was outraged when I saw the picture of the survey but he didn’t generate those comments. All of them pulled from the web and surveying people’s reactions to them. The internet is a sewer full of racism probably not a bad idea to study its impact but I’m not smart enough to tell if this research is the best approach or not.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am

I guess from the statement -

"Some of these actions may not have grown from negative intent or malice, but it’s important for us all to remember the difference between intent and impact. Regardless of intent, there is still an impact being felt across campus," he continued in the email.

I guess it comes down to intent vs impact. Definitely a negative impact to our diverse community of Spartans so we should listen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:11 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the prof just found some racist social media posts and created a survey for people to rate how racist they were? Seems very strange, but also doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

My privilege is showing now, but I just don't get all the quotes in that article along the lines of "how am I supposed to feel safe in class now?" Like it's a revelation that there are racists on the internet. Unless I'm misunderstanding and the quotes in the survey were pulled from the social media accounts of their classmates, there's no logical connection between the survey and classroom safety, and I'm not terribly interested in indulging irrational fears.

Tl;dr Poor judgment by the prof, but appears to have been blown way out of proportion to me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:18 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/us/ronald-sullivan-harvard.html

This all kind of reminds me of this.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Cameron wrote:So if I'm understanding this correctly, the prof just found some racist social media posts and created a survey for people to rate how racist they were? Seems very strange, but also doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

My privilege is showing now, but I just don't get all the quotes in that article along the lines of "how am I supposed to feel safe in class now?" Like it's a revelation that there are racists on the internet. Unless I'm misunderstanding and the quotes in the survey were pulled from the social media accounts of their classmates, there's no logical connection between the survey and classroom safety, and I'm not terribly interested in indulging irrational fears.

Tl;dr Poor judgment by the prof, but appears to have been blown way out of proportion to me.
Cameron wrote:So if I'm understanding this correctly, the prof just found some racist social media posts and created a survey for people to rate how racist they were? Seems very strange, but also doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Yeah, the context was completely lost when someone posts a picture of it on twitter and doesn't say that this was a survey about how people feel about select quotes from the internet. Instead, the internet jumps to conclusions that the University itself is sending out this as an official survey and asking people about coming out of a black lady and stuff like that. That's why people say they "don't feel safe in the classroom", because they think the University (or at least employees of the University) believe that it is stupid to be proud of being black, and express it in such a vulgar way.

It is ironic that in trying to understand people's feelings about horrible comments made on social media, that this professor failed to take into account how things spread on social media and lose all context in the process.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down