Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players

+9
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
Senior Dickfist
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
DWags
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  Empty Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players

Post by DWags 2020-05-03, 10:26

“You know, I love LeBron and everything about him but I still think that the way they play the game today he didn’t want any part of those bad boy Pistons,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, those guys were out there trying to hurt people. I used to always tell people when you were playing the Pistons you had to call home and tell your family you love them just in case you never saw them again.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-leaves-kobe-and-le-bron-out-of-his-list-of-top-5-nba-players-of-alltime-172252805.html
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  Empty Re: Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-03, 10:48

DWags wrote:“You know, I love LeBron and everything about him but I still think that the way they play the game today he didn’t want any part of those bad boy Pistons,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, those guys were out there trying to hurt people. I used to always tell people when you were playing the Pistons you had to call home and tell your family you love them just in case you never saw them again.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-leaves-kobe-and-le-bron-out-of-his-list-of-top-5-nba-players-of-alltime-172252805.html

I do think that era was the golden era but I find the argument that today's players couldn't handle getting knocked on their ass a bit ridiculous. Today's players can shoot so much better, have quicker releases and can handle the ball better than they could in the 80's. They also play above the rim better than they did in the 80's and 90's. I think the reality is the game keeps improving and getting better and today's players are just better.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  Empty Re: Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-05-03, 11:00

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:“You know, I love LeBron and everything about him but I still think that the way they play the game today he didn’t want any part of those bad boy Pistons,” Barkley said. “Let me tell you something, those guys were out there trying to hurt people. I used to always tell people when you were playing the Pistons you had to call home and tell your family you love them just in case you never saw them again.”

I do think that era was the golden era but I find the argument that today's players couldn't handle getting knocked on their ass a bit ridiculous. Today's players can shoot so much better, have quicker releases and can handle the ball better than they could in the 80's. They also play above the rim better than they did in the 80's and 90's. I think the reality is the game keeps improving and getting better and today's players are just better.

Sign me up for trying to compare players from different eras is impossible but I’m with Steve here. The athleticism appears to be much better today.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-03, 11:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Sign me up for trying to compare players from different eras is impossible but I’m with Steve here. The athleticism appears to be much better today.

Growing up I believed the players in the 80's would man handle the teams of the 60's, I feel that same about the players in 2020 vs the player in the 80s.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2020-05-03, 11:06

I wonder if they made all of today's players wear nut huggers, would they suddenly look slower and less athletic? Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  2599972566
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-03, 11:08

Is that praise?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 11:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Is that praise?

Coming from Barkley? Probably.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-03, 11:41

Not familiar with his work.

Sincerely,

The Larry O'Brien trophy
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-03, 11:56

They are more athletic now, but that doesn't mean they're more talented (nor does it mean they're less talented). The massive differences in what they eat/drink, the resources available for conditioning, the methods of practicing, etc.

On the other hand, the modern players that have perfected their craft under one set of rules, would have trouble adjusting, both physically and maybe more importantly mentally, tongue rigors of the 80s and early 90s. It is easier to be a better shooter, ball handler, etc. when you aren't getting clutched, grabbed, bumped and hammered to the same extent.

In other words, drop a player from 1989 into 2020 or a player from 2020 into 1989, and they wouldn't be able to play the same game. But most could probably still excell in a different era with time to adjust.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-03, 12:02

Put me down as assuming a 20yr old Magic would still make it to the hall of fame if he entered the draft today.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-03, 12:07

steveschneider wrote:

When was the last time you saw a 6'9 PG run the floor like Magic? Are you saying MJ, Dominique Wilkins, or Clyde Drexler were not as athletic as anybody playing today? Dr. J might be the most athletic player of all time. Hakeem would eat any big man in today's game alive.

Today's NBA is not more athletic, but the game has changed and is not as well suited to players from past eras. Those players from the past were just as athletic and talented, just like today's teams are just as good as those from past years. I think people remember those years as the "golden years" becuase that's when the league really broke through.

The league went to shit for about 10-12 years beginning in the late 90s, but it's back to being the best pro sports league in the U.S.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2020-05-03, 12:16; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-03, 12:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Is that praise?

Yeah I think it is. I think he’s saying Lebron wouldn’t do against the Pistons what he’s doing today. And to be sure Lebron has the body where he could have mixed it up with them, but the pistons would take him out of his game.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-05-03, 12:11

Thank you for pointing out some athletic players from that era.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-03, 12:11

Turtleneck wrote:

When was the last time you saw a 6'9 PG run the floor like Magic? Are you saying MJ, Domique, or Drexler were not as athletic as anybody playing today? Dr. J might be the most athletic player of all time. Hakeem would eat any big man in today's game alive.

Today's NBA is not more athletic, but the game has changed and it is just as good as the "golden years." I those years are considered great becuase its when the league really broke through.

The league went to shit for about 10-12 years beginning in the late 90s, but's back to being the best pro sports league in the U.S.

Why do you think it’s the best pro league?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-03, 12:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Thank you for pointing out some athletic players from that era.

Well, you're kind of clueless about anything that happened before 1995.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-03, 12:16

Most athletic player of all time is Wilt.

#1 in NBA today, ok not today but 2 years ago - Russ.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-05-03, 12:17

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Thank you for pointing out some athletic players from that era.

Well, you're kind of clueless about anything that happened before 1995.

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  969504605
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-03, 12:37

According to the google machine, not that vert is everything, but HVOAT is a tie at 48" between MJ and Wilt. 3rd is a guy named Daryl Griffith and next is J Rich at 46.5. Interesting. Shannon Brown on the list at 44.5. Ja Morant checking in at 44.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-03, 12:42

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:According to the google machine, not that vert is everything, but HVOAT is a tie at 48" between MJ and Wilt. 3rd is a guy named Daryl Griffith and next is J Rich at 46.5. Interesting. Shannon Brown on the list at 44.5. Ja Morant checking in at 44.

Darrell Griffith. Arkansas. Freak.

Edit: Louisville. I was thinking Sidney Moncrief
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-03, 12:50

As far as the best pro league, I’ve always thought that bicker uses the hand eye coordination of the baseball player, the speed and agility of the basketball player and the strength and courage of the football player. They’re probably the best athletes playing. I do t know if I’d quite say best pro league. Too hard to judge.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-03, 12:51

Where do you think OTPT would be on the list if he had decided to pursue the NBA? Top 6 for sure.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-05-03, 12:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Where do you think OTPT would be on the list if he had decided to pursue the NBA? Top 6 for sure.

It really boils down to where Tum Tum is in your list
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 13:09

Turtleneck wrote:

When was the last time you saw a 6'9 PG run the floor like Magic? Are you saying MJ, Dominique Wilkins, or Clyde Drexler were not as athletic as anybody playing today? Dr. J might be the most athletic player of all time. Hakeem would eat any big man in today's game alive.

Today's NBA is not more athletic, but the game has changed and is not as well suited to players from past eras. Those players from the past were just as athletic and talented, just like today's teams are just as good as those from past years. I think people remember those years as the "golden years" becuase that's when the league really broke through.

The league went to shit for about 10-12 years beginning in the late 90s, but it's back to being the best pro sports league in the U.S.

I don't know that anyone here is arguing that the greats of past generations would not be great now. But I think the baseline has risen, and the benchwarmers and role players are better/more athletic now than in the past.

If you look at something like track and field, records are continually broken. Humanity has not peaked athletically, as far as I'm aware.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-05-03, 13:12

Intersting TED talk on athletes getting stronger/faster/better

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 13:39

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Intersting TED talk on athletes getting stronger/faster/better

That was very informative.

It's a interesting thought experiment to imagine what Michael Jordan would have been like had he grown up watching Michael Jordan.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-05-03, 14:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Where do you think OTPT would be on the list if he had decided to pursue the NBA? Top 6 for sure.

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-03, 14:11

I think the big thing you guys are missing is that today's players have a much better knowledge of how to store tomatoes.

Todays players > yesterdays players
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-03, 15:11

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I don't know that anyone here is arguing that the greats of past generations would not be great now. But I think the baseline has risen, and the benchwarmers and role players are better/more athletic now than in the past.

If you look at something like track and field, records are continually broken. Humanity has not peaked athletically, as far as I'm aware.

And I don't think it ever will peak. Growth in athleticism is only possible due to growth in knowledge, and I don't think knowledge will ever peak, short of a massive existential crisis.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 17:22

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And I don't think it ever will peak.  Growth in athleticism is only possible due to growth in knowledge, and I don't think knowledge will ever peak, short of a massive existential crisis.

Agreed. Players in 15 years will be better on average than players today, I imagine.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-03, 19:27

Does more athletic mean better shooters, better ballhandlers, or better defenders? Basketball is an incredibly technical game when you consider the entire skillset needed to sustain a pro career. It's about a lot more than raw athleticism. I am not saying the teams of the past, or the players, are better, but they are no worse in respect to their ability to play the game.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 19:55

Turtleneck wrote:Does more athletic mean better shooters, better ballhandlers, or better defenders? Basketball is an incredibly technical game when you consider the entire skillset needed to sustain a pro career. It's about a lot more than raw athleticism. I am not saying the teams of the past, or the players, are better, but they are no worse in respect to their ability to play the game.

Shooting has gotten measurably better. The other stuff is harder to quantify.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-03, 21:06

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Does more athletic mean better shooters, better ballhandlers, or better defenders? Basketball is an incredibly technical game when you consider the entire skillset needed to sustain a pro career. It's about a lot more than raw athleticism. I am not saying the teams of the past, or the players, are better, but they are no worse in respect to their ability to play the game.

Well, let's look at the numbers. To me it looks like 3pt shooting is definitely better, but the overall league wide shooting percentage was often better from 1980 through the mid-to-late 1990s. My guess is it's a function of the how the game has changed. Thinking there were far more mid-range and post shots in those years.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-03, 23:15

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Well, let's look at the numbers. To me it looks like 3pt shooting is definitely better, but the overall league wide shooting percentage was often better from 1980 through the mid-to-late 1990s. My guess is it's a function of the how the game has changed. Thinking there were far more mid-range and post shots in those years.

As you said, 3 point shooting has gotten better. On the whole, 2 point shots are still higher percentage, though, so it makes sense (at least to me) that as the proportion of 3 point shots goes up, the overall shooting percentage could go down, even while shooting as a whole demonstrably improves. This is demonstrated by eFG%, which accounts for such things and has been steadily improving.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-05-03, 23:22

Depth is better today, 10 guys that can score from anywhere at almost all times
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-05-03, 23:35

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

As you said, 3 point shooting has gotten better. On the whole, 2 point shots are still higher percentage, though, so it makes sense (at least to me) that as the proportion of 3 point shots goes up, the overall shooting percentage could go down, even while shooting as a whole demonstrably improves. This is demonstrated by eFG%, which accounts for such things and has been steadily improving.

But 3 pt percentages could also be a function of the differences in physicality. A more physical game is going to tire you out more and when your legs are tired your long range shot suffers. It is one of those intangibles that is hard to translate over eras.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-05-03, 23:53

[tw]1255931389654052868[/tw]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-03, 23:59

Look at the box scores from the Finals in 88 and 89. It's insane. Like Lakers attempt 3 3s all game and Pistons attempt 5 insane. How did no one realize how messed up this was?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-04, 00:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Cameron wrote:

But 3 pt percentages could also be a function of the differences in physicality.  A more physical game is going to tire you out more and when your legs are tired your long range shot suffers.  It is one of those intangibles that is hard to translate over eras.

I think it's less a function of the physicality of the game (which I think is hugely overrated), and more a function of the emphasis placed on shot selection moving towards favoring 3 point shots.

Guys take a way higher percentage of shots from 3, and are therefore more inclined to practice such shots. It's entirely possible that guys in the 80s and 90s would have shot a higher percentage than they did if they had the same coaching and analytics as today's players. Likely, even.

But the evidence is clear that, whatever the reason, shooting is better now.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-04, 00:47

Is it really that significant? Using the same numbers, from 1980-1999, the league wide shooting percentage ranged from 44% to 49%. From 2000-2019, the range was 44%-46%. Using effective field goal percentage, the 1980-1999 range is 47%-50%. From 2000, it is 47%-53%. However, the upper end of that range is very, very recent. For most of the total time period, the effective field goal percentage largely favors the 21st century, but does not seem to be signifigacntly better (even though the three point shooting is much better). I don't know, maybe pretty pointless. I guess you're right when you say Tim Hardaway, Jr is the greatest player of all time.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-04, 02:59

Turtleneck wrote:Is it really that significant? Using the same numbers, from 1980-1999, the league wide shooting percentage ranged from 44% to 49%. From 2000-2019, the range was 44%-46%. Using effective field goal percentage, the 1980-1999 range is 47%-50%. From 2000, it is 47%-53%. However, the upper end of that range is very, very recent. For most of the total time period, the effective field goal percentage largely favors the 21st century, but does not seem to be signifigacntly better (even though the three point shooting is much better). I don't know, maybe pretty pointless. I guess you're right when you say Tim Hardaway, Jr is the greatest player of all time.

Charles Barkley praises Pistons, leaves magic and Bird off his all time top ten NBA players  502811600 Strawman much?

If you were to take a less myopic view, you'd recognize that eFG% didn't cross the 50% threshold for the first time until the 94-95 season, coinciding with the first year of the shorter 3 point line. Three years later, they moved the line back. The eFG% didn't hit 50% again until 08-09. The NBA has had 9 seasons with eFG% at or above .500. Eight of those seasons have happened in the last 12 years.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next