Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs

+20
Turtleneck
Death Roe
RBW Spartan
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
All Your Base
TravelinMan
I.B. Fine
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
The_Dude
Izzo Court
JEK
Floyd Robertson
CORNER BLITZ
WhiteBoyHatcher
Heat Miser
Johnny Alpamayo
Jake from State Farm
Giant Moose
Vlad
24 posters

Go down

So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs Empty So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs

Post by Vlad 2014-07-17, 12:55

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/07/16/nr-intv-charles-bolden-finding-life-in-space.cnn.html

Let me aks y'all this then...If we do find life on other plants, wouldn't that pretty much dispel the notion of Adam and Eve, God, and pretty much anything in any religion that attempts to explain how and why we were created on Earth?
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs Empty Re: So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-17, 13:10

It sounds probable to me that they already have discovered it and have a 20-year plan as to not abruptly scare/shock everyone.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs Empty Re: So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-07-17, 13:14

Vlad wrote:http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/07/16/nr-intv-charles-bolden-finding-life-in-space.cnn.html

Let me aks y'all this then...If we do find life on other plants, wouldn't that pretty much dispel the notion of Adam and Eve, God, and pretty much anything in any religion that attempts to explain how and why we were created on Earth?

God could have been really busy 6,000 years ago and created a whole bunch of planets with life on them.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Alpamayo 2014-07-17, 13:20

People are going to believe what they believe - i.e., finding life elsewhere is not incongruous with either side.
Johnny Alpamayo
Johnny Alpamayo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-17, 13:27

Johnny Alpamayo wrote:People are going to believe what they believe - i.e., finding life elsewhere is not incongruous with either side.

Just like Santa Claus. How could he deliver toys to all the boys & girls on TWO planets???
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-17, 13:38

Heat Miser wrote:

Just like Santa Claus. How could he deliver toys to all the boys & girls on TWO planets???

He doesn't have to deliver to ALL the boys and girls. Jews, muslims, etc. All exempt. Plus I think Batman helps him.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-17, 13:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

He doesn't have to deliver to ALL the boys and girls. Jews, muslims, etc. All exempt. Plus I think Batman helps him.

We better start recruiting missionaries now to send out there and convert those alien heathens...and get them NRA memberships!
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-07-17, 13:55

Giant Moose wrote:It sounds probable to me that they already have discovered it and have a 20-year plan as to not abruptly scare/shock everyone.

Are people going to be freaked out, or even care, if we find bacteria or some other microscopic form of life? I think there will only be a huge reaction if we found something humanoid or animal-like... most people are stupid
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-07-17, 13:58

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Are people going to be freaked out, or even care, if we find bacteria or some other microscopic form of life? I think there will only be a huge reaction if we found something humanoid or animal-like... most people are stupid

If people don't care, or aren't freaked out, they should go watch the Andromeda Strain.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-07-17, 14:02

Vlad wrote:http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/07/16/nr-intv-charles-bolden-finding-life-in-space.cnn.html

All that stuff was already dispelled once science proved the earth is much, much older than 6,000 years.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-07-17, 14:08

We should send the national guard to the intergalactic boarder to keep those smelly aliens out.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-07-17, 14:11

NASA also said they will send humans on one way trips to Mars in 20 years.  scratch 
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-07-17, 14:14

The_Dude wrote:NASA also said they will send humans on one way trips to Mars in 20 years.   scratch 

Can we volunteer people that we want to go?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-17, 14:16

Jake from State Farm wrote:
The_Dude wrote:NASA also said they will send humans on one way trips to Mars in 20 years.   scratch 

Can we volunteer people that we want to go?

It's the Texas governor's proposed solution for the "border problem"...along with more guns.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-07-17, 14:17

That wasn't NASA.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-07-17, 14:19

Heat Miser wrote:

It's the Texas governor's proposed solution for the "border problem"...along with more guns.

Great, just what we need, another war of the worlds.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-07-17, 14:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
That wasn't NASA.

Indeed, it MarsOne, and the year is 2023.

One-Way Mars Trip: 1,058 Private Martian Colony Volunteers Pass 1st Cut

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-07-17, 14:21

Jake from State Farm wrote:

God could have been really busy 6,000 years ago and created a whole bunch of planets with life on them.

It's going to require someone "discovering" a New, New Testament.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-07-17, 14:41

Hell, If NASA is looking for alien life, they just need to look here:

So NASA says they expect to find alien life within the next 20 yrs Alien11

Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2014-07-18, 08:37; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2014-07-17, 17:09

It would be kind of funny if intelligent alien life was found and they, too, professed a notion of there being a God. That would mess with people's heads.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-07-17, 17:23

Heat Miser wrote:

The other planets thing....that's the Mormons, right?
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire 2014-07-17, 17:32

People mix up organized religion with spirituality. Just because humans can't explain every religious loophole in a book, doesn't mean their is no God(s). Much like just because humans can't explain every aspect of science in a book, doesn't mean many scientific discoveries aren't real.

Example. 2000 years ago many claim that the Son of Man died for all of our sins. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but that's a religious debate. That has nothing to do with the discovery of bacteria and such on another planet.

Why does the discovery of other life mean their is no God? He/she/it is potentially ridiculously intelligent. Is it impossible that he/she/it created other life forms? Is it not possible that evolution is part of the process?

We'll never know these answers until we're all 6 ft deep.

Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-07-17, 20:03

Bill S. Preston, Esquire wrote:People mix up organized religion with spirituality. Just because humans can't explain every religious loophole in a book, doesn't mean their is no God(s). Much like just because humans can't explain every aspect of science in a book, doesn't mean many scientific discoveries aren't real.

Example. 2000 years ago many claim that the Son of Man died for all of our sins. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but that's a religious debate. That has nothing to do with the discovery of bacteria and such on another planet.

Why does the discovery of other life mean their is no God? He/she/it is potentially ridiculously intelligent. Is it impossible that he/she/it created other life forms? Is it not possible that evolution is part of the process?

I read this in Bill's voice.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-07-17, 21:26

I believe plants do have life in them.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-17, 22:16

I found alien life on another planet decades ago. It's a place called Ann Arbor.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-07-18, 02:02

Bill S. Preston, Esquire wrote:People mix up organized religion with spirituality. Just because humans can't explain every religious loophole in a book, doesn't mean their is no God(s). Much like just because humans can't explain every aspect of science in a book, doesn't mean many scientific discoveries aren't real.

Okay.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-18, 04:27

Death Roe wrote:I believe plants do have life in them.

I suspect that too...
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-07-18, 12:41

Bill S. Preston, Esquire wrote:People mix up organized religion with spirituality. Just because humans can't explain every religious loophole in a book, doesn't mean their is no God(s).

I agree. That's why I was specifically asking about the teachings of organized religions.

Yes, even if we do discover life away from our planet, it is possible that a greater force (call it "God" if you like) created that too. But as far as the teachings of organized religions (heaven, hell, Jesus/Krishna being our savior, Allah wanting us to blow up planes and buildings, etc.)...that would pretty much go out the door, wouldn't it?
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-07-18, 12:47

People who believe there is no alien life are definitely narrow minded.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-07-20, 16:44

Vlad wrote:

I agree.  That's why I was specifically asking about the teachings of organized religions.

Yes, even if we do discover life away from our planet, it is possible that a greater force (call it "God" if you like) created that too.  But as far as the teachings of organized religions (heaven, hell, Jesus/Krishna being our savior, Allah wanting us to blow up planes and buildings, etc.)...that would pretty much go out the door, wouldn't it?

Don't worry, humans would still find a work-around. Religious fanaticism works all too well as a "pass" to violent human behavior.

Jenkem.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride 2014-07-20, 17:40

Vlad wrote:

I agree.  That's why I was specifically asking about the teachings of organized religions.

Yes, even if we do discover life away from our planet, it is possible that a greater force (call it "God" if you like) created that too.  But as far as the teachings of organized religions (heaven, hell, Jesus/Krishna being our savior, Allah wanting us to blow up planes and buildings, etc.)...that would pretty much go out the door, wouldn't it?
Did the acceptance that wife/child beating and slavery are effed up stop people from listening to the bible? Unfortunately, no.
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down