Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend

+6
MiamiSpartan
Nordic
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
kingstonlake
10 posters

Go down

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend  Empty I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend

Post by kingstonlake Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 pm

On C-Span now. I think they undock today and splash down around Pensacola tomorrow.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend  Empty Re: I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend

Post by InTenSity Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 pm

I wonder if they still plan on doing it with a hurricane on the other side of the state. I guess they can monitor the situation and it shouldn't be too bad or affected over there.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend  Empty Re: I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm

The complication is that from the time of undocking, they only have 48 hours of oxygen in the cabin, so they're under a little pressure.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:The complication is that from the time of undocking, they only have 48 hours of oxygen in the cabin, so they're under a little pressure.

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend  1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm

kingstonlake wrote:On C-Span now. I think they undock today and splash down around Pensacola tomorrow.

Pensacola? Boring. They should accidentally on purpose splash down at Bay Lake, then spend a few days at Disney World.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:52 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:The complication is that from the time of undocking, they only have 48 hours of oxygen in the cabin, so they're under a little pressure.

I'm glad you caught my carefully worded joke lol.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'm glad you caught my carefully worded joke lol.

You’re slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Bob and Doug are about ready to splash down

I think that SpaceX thing is supposed to splash down this weekend  S-l300
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Chutes are out
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:48 pm

I'm sure they've thoroughly vetted out the chutes tangling in their DFMEA. But it is still stressing me out every time the bounce together.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Welcome back, Bob and Doug!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Those guys have so much balls. Many? I think it’s much in this instance.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm fascinated by the extent of the black burn marks on the side. Just shows how insanely hot the re-entry is. Space travel is crazy shit.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Took forever to pop the hatch. Understandable though. Crazy to think the last time a splashdown recovery happened was the end of the Apollo program.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:00 pm

I like wet landings.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:Welcome back, Bob and Doug!

Coo roo coo coo, coo coo coo coo!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:36 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Took forever to pop the hatch. Understandable though. Crazy to think the last time a splashdown recovery happened was the end of the Apollo program.

And once they did get the all clear, it took one dude with a special wrench to loosen a bolt in about 4 seconds.  Didn't even need to squirt any WD40 on it.

I thought the same thing about Apollo. Next question that popped in my head is how do the Ruskies get down from the Space Station?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am

Nordic wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Took forever to pop the hatch. Understandable though. Crazy to think the last time a splashdown recovery happened was the end of the Apollo program.

And once they did get the all clear, it took one dude with a special wrench to loosen a bolt in about 4 seconds.  Didn't even need to squirt any WD40 on it.

I thought the same thing about Apollo. Next question that popped in my head is how do the Ruskies get down from the Space Station?

I think they do a water landing, too. A year or two ago a launch had problems and had to be aborted after launch. They have abort procedures for the capsule to pop off and parachute down, but I remember them being concerned about their safety on a hard landing.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 am

The Soyuz return module touches down on land in Kazakhstan using a three stage parachute system and a set of small thrust engines just before hitting earth.  It can carry a maximum of three people, the SpaceX Dragon 2 can carry seven.

How the Ruskies land
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I think they do a water landing, too. A year or two ago a launch had problems and had to be aborted after launch. They have abort procedures for the capsule to pop off and parachute down, but I remember them being concerned about their safety on a hard landing.

Speaking of risky Russian reentries read up on Soyuz 5.

Boris Volynov remained on Soyuz 5. During the re-entry the service module failed to separate after retrofire resulting in nose-first re-entry, which would have meant a sure death of the cosmonaut. In the last moment the bolts connecting the service module to the reentry capsule finally burned through and the capsule turned around, heat shield forward, just before the forward hatch melted. All capsule propellant was exhausted and the cosmonaut made a 9-g uncontrolled reentry, landing hundreds of kilometers short. There was one final problem in store for Boris Volynov when the parachute cables partially tangled. It was one of the hardest landings in space history and Boris Volynov broke his jaw and lost several teeth. The local temperature was -38 °C (-36 °F). On page 274 of the book IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, Boris Volynov is quoted as saying he stayed inside the capsule after landing with a broken jaw. It was extremwly cold and he only had a thin tracksuit on. There were no buildings for 60 kilometers around him so he waited one hour. Parachutists were the first to arrive.

The crew were to meet Leonid Brezhnev during a lavish ceremony at the Kremlin, but this was ruined by an attempted assassination of the Soviet leader. A man shot eight times at the motorcade but aimed at the car containing Georgi Beregovoy, Aleksei Leonov, Andriyan Nikolayev, and Valentina Tereshkova. They were unharmed but Brezhnev's car was forced to speed away past the waiting Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 crews on the podium.

http://www.spacefacts.de/mission/english/soyuz-5.htm
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 am

they probably took one look around and thought "can we go back to space"?!?!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down