Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corn on the cob questions

+11
Rocinante
aualum06
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
DWags
I.B. Fine
MSU addict
tGreenWay
The Pantry
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Corn on the cob questions Empty Corn on the cob questions

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-10, 16:45

Ex-SIL picked up 6-8 dozen ears at a farm Saturday. Stopped by to drop off a couple dozen for the boys and I. Never tried before but did a few in the microwave. Not perfect but came out surprisingly good.

Questions:

1) Husk on, store in the fridge or out at room temp?

2) Your favorite way to cook them?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Corn on the cob questions Empty Re: Corn on the cob questions

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-10, 17:07

Kingston likes to go down on them and swallow as much as possible.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-08-10, 17:14

I like corn.  I eat a lot of fresh corn.  In the past I have grown corn.

Few basic facts:

Corn is best fresh - ideally cooked within hours after picking.  The sugars in corn begin converting into starches as soon as it is picked.  Corn a few days old is still good, but the fresher it is, the better it is.  

If you need to store it - husk on in the fridge.  This will help it retain moisture and slow the conversion process.

It terms of cooking, that is a personal taste thing.  Many people like it grilled, but for my money the best way to cook corn is to boil it.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil, insert husked (meaning husk removed) corn.  Let it come back to boil, cook three to five minutes after it returns to a boil.  Don't go over the five minute mark.  Some people say not to cook it more than a minute - but based on my experience, I disagree.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-08-10, 17:17; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-08-10, 17:17

The Pantry wrote:Ex-SIL picked up 6-8 dozen ears at a farm Saturday.  Stopped by to drop off a couple dozen for the boys and I.  Never tried before but did a few in the microwave.  Not perfect but came out surprisingly good.

Questions:  

1)  Husk on, store in the fridge or out at room temp?

2)  Your favorite way to cook them?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-10, 17:18

The Pantry wrote:Ex-SIL picked up 6-8 dozen ears at a farm Saturday. Stopped by to drop off a couple dozen for the boys and I. Never tried before but did a few in the microwave. Not perfect but came out surprisingly good.

Questions:

Husks on cool pantry. Husks off, fridge the corn.

When you take a dump and you see kernels. Your fecal matter is in the kernels. You’ve absorbed the nutritional part and while the shells are moving around with your bowels they fill up.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-10, 17:19

Oh and if you have moss poop anywhere in the house think twice about having the stored there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-10, 17:49

I.B. Fine wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Ex-SIL picked up 6-8 dozen ears at a farm Saturday.  Stopped by to drop off a couple dozen for the boys and I.  Never tried before but did a few in the microwave.  Not perfect but came out surprisingly good.

Questions:  

1)  Husk on, store in the fridge or out at room temp?

2)  Your favorite way to cook them?
Cutting the handle off a hot cob is kinda dumb. Guy farted around a lot doing his peel thing.

Saw this review of methods:

We Tried 8 Methods of Cooking Corn on the Cob and Found a Clear Winner

They picked microwave as worst, but I think they botched it going husk off and not trying husk on.

Completely agree with soaking in the husk then grilling as best.

Last edited by The Pantry on 2020-08-10, 17:55; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-10, 17:53

tGreenway said his favorite place to get corn cobs is a ways up Hershey Hwy.

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2020-08-10, 19:40; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-10, 18:59

Yes, I love the grilled taste. Either soaked with the husks on then grilled with the husks on, or soaked and placed in foil, if the husks are already removed.

Boiling is still good if you don't have access or time for the grill.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-08-10, 19:27

Wrap it in some foil with olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw it on the grill and kinda forget about it for awhile, except to flip it once. Like, leave it on way longer than you think you should. Char some kernels.

I never liked corn on the cob until I forgot I had some on the grill through weird circumstances. I found out that it’s really fuckin good cooked like that though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-10, 19:46

kingstonlake wrote:tGreenway said his favorite place to get corn cobs is a ways up Hershey Hwy.

And now we’ve heard from Cornholio. Corn on the cob questions 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-08-10, 19:46

The Pantry wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:
Cutting the handle off a hot cob is kinda dumb.  Guy farted around a lot doing his peel thing.

They picked microwave as worst, but I think they botched it going husk off and not trying husk on.

In the words of my good friend Jules Winnfield - "well allow me to retort"

It is shocking that a guy who was looking for the taste of grilled corn he remembered from fairs and festivals would conclude that grilling corn in the husk is best method for cooking corn.  It is almost like someone starting a thread under the pretext of asking about cooking corn when he already knows the answer he wants.

Water boils at 212 degrees.  You cook the corn for 5 minutes.  Simple method, perfectly consistent repeatable results.

I find it strange that he says this method takes 25 minutes.  Is he including the time to boil the water?  If so, should he not also include the time to light his charcoal grill?  Some how he concludes grilling corn takes less time.  FWIW, my induction stove boils a large pot of water in about 5 minutes.  

Grilling corn does not take less time, it is very time intensive.  It is also inconsistent.  He chose not to soak his corn (if he did, he failed to mention it).  You correctly point out that corn should be soaked if you are going to grill it.  If you grill corn without soaking at high heat as he suggests, the husk usually ignites.  Unless you are turning it constantly it will not cook evenly.  And if you do turn it constantly you really can't control the exact temp nor can you use a thermapen to temp the corn.  You are guessing - guessing leads to inconsistency. 

So you have a time intensive, labor intensive cooking method for a side dish.  In the words of Sweet Brown - Ain't nobody got time for that.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-08-10, 19:51

The Pantry wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:
Cutting the handle off a hot cob is kinda dumb. Guy farted around a lot doing his peel thing.

I've used the above method quite a bit, if you're in a bit of a hurry, or only cooking 1 or 2 ears it's easy and that guy did seem to enjoy squeezing the corn out of the husk just a little too much...
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-10, 19:52

MiamiSpartan wrote:Yes, I love the grilled taste. Either soaked with the husks on then grilled with the husks on, or soaked and placed in foil, if the husks are already removed.

This. If you just want a fast way to having corn, just peel the husks and hair and drop it in a slow boil for approx 3 mins. Take it out of the pot/pan, letting the water drip off, then eat it either plain, with salt a/o pepper, and buttered, if you like it like that.
Best part about this is it’s fast.

If you don’t want it on the cob, after you removed the husk and hair, use a knife to cut the kernels off the cob. Cut as deep as you can without actually cutting into the cob, so you get as much of the kernels as possible. Boil it in some water the same way you would a can or bag of corn. Serve it however you prefer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-10, 19:54

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Ex-SIL picked up 6-8 dozen ears at a farm Saturday. Stopped by to drop off a couple dozen for the boys and I. Never tried before but did a few in the microwave. Not perfect but came out surprisingly good.

Questions:

When you take a dump and you see kernels. Your fecal matter is in the kernels. You’ve absorbed the nutritional part and while the shells are moving around with your bowels they fill up.

Whenever he saw an attractive woman, one of my roommates used to say he’d pick the corn out of her poop to have sex with her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-10, 19:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Wrap it in some foil with olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw it on the grill and kinda forget about it for awhile, except to flip it once. Like, leave it on way longer than you think you should. Char some kernels.

I never liked corn on the cob until I forgot I had some on the grill through weird circumstances. I found out that it’s really fuckin good cooked like that though.

That alien abduction has really left you with large patches of forgotten time and events.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-08-10, 20:04

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Wrap it in some foil with olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw it on the grill and kinda forget about it for awhile, except to flip it once. Like, leave it on way longer than you think you should. Char some kernels.

That alien abduction has really left you with large patches of forgotten time and events.

Let me rephrase it to, it isn’t that interesting. I was cooking for the family on Father’s Day and a storm came, so I was working on getting everyone settled into our newly indoor barbecue and I forgot about the corn. But it’s okay because it was a happy accident
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-10, 20:33

Chicken feed
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-10, 20:46

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Yes, I love the grilled taste.  Either soaked with the husks on then grilled with the husks on, or soaked and placed in foil, if the husks are already removed.

This. If you just want a fast way to having corn, just peel the husks and hair and drop it in a slow boil for approx 3 mins. Take it out of the pot/pan, letting the water drip off, then eat it either plain, with salt a/o pepper, and buttered, if you like it like that.

If you don’t want it on the cob, after you removed the husk and hair, use a knife to cut the kernels off the cob. Cut as deep as you can without actually cutting into the cob, so you get as much of the kernels as possible. Boil it in some water the same way you would a can or bag of corn. Serve it however you prefer.

A knife? Thanks, Einstein Corn on the cob questions 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-10, 21:37

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Whenever he saw an attractive woman, one of my roommates used to say he’d pick the corn out of her poop to have sex with her.

Would any of you really do that? I mean the movie star hottie of your dreams. You’d have to do that but you could have sex with her one time.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-10, 21:45

Nordic wrote:Chicken feed
Feed the turkeys, first
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-10, 22:09

MSU addict wrote:I like corn.  I eat a lot of fresh corn.  In the past I have grown corn.

Few basic facts:

Corn is best fresh - ideally cooked within hours after picking.  The sugars in corn begin converting into starches as soon as it is picked.  Corn a few days old is still good, but the fresher it is, the better it is.  

If you need to store it - husk on in the fridge.  This will help it retain moisture and slow the conversion process.

It terms of cooking, that is a personal taste thing.  Many people like it grilled, but for my money the best way to cook corn is to boil it.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil, insert husked (meaning husk removed) corn.  Let it come back to boil, cook three to five minutes after it returns to a boil.  Don't go over the five minute mark.  Some people say not to cook it more than a minute - but based on my experience, I disagree.

Lock thread
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-10, 23:13

Corn ass has spoken.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-08-12, 16:09

I usually boil it. I love it on the grill too.

I was told as a kid to add sugar and not salt to the water to boil it. That the salt hardens the corn vs the sugar. So I have been doing it this way. I actually do not know if that is true or not.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-12, 16:45

Dendrobates wrote:I usually boil it. I love it on the grill too.

I was told as a kid to add sugar and not salt to the water to boil it. That the salt hardens the corn vs the sugar. So I have been doing it this way. I actually do not know if that is true or not.
Corn has a lot of sugars in it. Can't imagine adding sugar.

Took an ear to work today...gotta eat these before they go bad. In the husk, did in the microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 4 minutes. Came out perfect. Cut it off the cob. Unsalted butter and sea salt. Delicious.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-12, 17:16

I can imagine someone eating corn on the cob at work would be about one of the most annoying things ever.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-12, 17:19

Rocinante wrote:I can imagine someone eating corn on the cob at work would be about one of the most annoying things ever.

That's probably why he cut it off the cob before he ate it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-12, 17:41

aualum06 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I can imagine someone eating corn on the cob at work would be about one of the most annoying things ever.

Roc hates me. Not sure why.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-12, 17:44

I was agreeing with your method. Mr. sensitive.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-12, 17:49

Rocinante wrote:I was agreeing with your method. Mr. sensitive.
Thanks for clearing that up, stalker.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-12, 18:20

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Roc hates me. Not sure why.

Hmmmmm....
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-12, 18:34

Corn on the cob questions 502811600

Warmed up fish in the microwave?

I'm glad I work at home.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-08-12, 18:40

Cooking or reheating fish in the company microwave is grounds for firing. Nothing else comes close.

EDIT: should have scrolled ahead to see that WBH covered this.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 19:01

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

A knife? Thanks, Einstein Corn on the cob questions 2809484752

As opposed to how you do it; with your one remaining top tooth, digging out kernels one at a time like a garden tiller, then dropping them into a pot of boiling water. Corn on the cob questions 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 19:07

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Would any of you really do that? I mean the movie star hottie of your dreams. You’d have to do that but you could have sex with her one time.

Not a chance. We’d always laugh when he said it, but scat is always a deal breaker. Absolute boner killer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 19:14

The Pantry wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I was agreeing with your method. Mr. sensitive.
Thanks for clearing that up, stalker.

#chitchat
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-12, 19:25

Fish isn't that bad. Told this story before. Ex got into lacto-fermenting. Did it with daikon radish a number of times. It smelled like hell but was oddly delicious. Took a tiny tupperware container of it to work one day. Opened it in my office and scarfed it down in less than a minute then replaced the cover.

Co-workers were bitching about the smell almost instantaneously. Were still bitching about it over 2 hours later despite both office exterior doors opened to the outside. Roughly 4000 sq-ft of office space smell-ruined by a 4 ounce container of food. One of my proudest moments.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-08-12, 20:27

Years ago, we were at this big pig roast party. And the host had a one of those large garbage cans full of cooked corn on the cob. They were soaking in butter in the can. It was the best corn ever.

There is no such thing as too much butter when it comes to corn on the cob.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-12, 21:22

Questions:

On the grill and make elote. I keep corn in the fridge but not sure if there's a better way. If so I'm all ears (pun intended).
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 21:34

steveschneider wrote:

Questions:

On the grill and make elote. I keep corn in the fridge but not sure if there's a butter way. If so I'm all ears (pun intended).

You missed an opportunity to make a second pun, which I have since corrected.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next