Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football?

+10
Robert J Sakimano
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
tGreenWay
Cameron
Nordic
DWags
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football? Empty Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football?

Post by DWags 2020-08-11, 22:38

Just put that to bed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football? Empty Re: Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football?

Post by Nordic 2020-08-11, 22:51

Yes. Next question.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football? Empty Re: Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football?

Post by Cameron 2020-08-11, 23:06

Maybe spring football, then winter football, then fall football?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-11, 23:09

I can confirm the B1G is considering playing football in the spring.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-11, 23:14

DWags wrote:Just put that to bed.

6 division games. 1 practice day with pads/week.

Go to bed.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-11, 23:15

Cameron wrote:Maybe spring football, then winter football, then fall football?

Right. This whole debacle is going to take years to get society back to normal. This is going to be the most prominent event in most of our lives. Just accept that fucked up is the new standard and go from there. You're not going to go from a Spring football season to back to fucking normal and a spring game and spring practice and fall camp and blah blah blah. They will need to adjust. That's fine. NBA isn't going to go from a season that ends in Sept/October to a start in November. Also fine.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Wally Fairway likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-11, 23:44

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Cameron wrote:Maybe spring football, then winter football, then fall football?

Right. This whole debacle is going to take years to get society back to normal. This is going to be the most prominent event in most of our lives. Just accept that fucked up is the new standard and go from there. You're not going to go from a Spring football season to back to fucking normal and a spring game and spring practice and fall camp and blah blah blah. They will need to adjust. That's fine. NBA isn't going to go from a season that ends in Sept/October to a start in November. Also fine.

Fair. Adapt and survive. 

I change my answer. Spring football, let's goooo! Can we all just agree you can’t have spring football and then fall football? 3493939353
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-11, 23:53

We all know that amateurism for the revenue sports is a farce, right? I think we enjoy that we play by the rules as well as anyone in the game and still can compete but it's still a farce right? Maybe this disruption is the game changer the sports have been waiting on. I've long been an advocate for professional minor leagues in all sports so that kids who don't want/need to go to college don't have to. Maybe this is that opportunity to fundamentally change the system.

I don't know. I'm in the middle of a week long virtual workshop and I sent my wife and kids up north. I'm a couple Deep Eddy's in at this point. But I think it's true.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-12, 00:03

6 games + Big Ten Championship Game + Rose Bowl Game

You heard it here first.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 02:14

My sources are telling me the SEC and ACC are working to continue their FB seasons without any further disruptions. Back to you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-12, 03:21

Also, I’m not agreeing to anything before my lawyers get a look at the fine print.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-08-12, 07:59

NigelUno wrote:6 games + Big Ten Championship Game + Rose Bowl Game

You heard it here first.

Something like this was my thought, though I'd add a shortened season next fall, too. 6-8 games in the spring, and 6-8 games (or maybe up to 10 games) in the fall.

Not sure how likely a spring season really is, though, so this might all be moot.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-12, 08:12

If there’s Spring football then there’s spring basketball, spring baseball, spring hockey. Seems like a logistical clusterf:”$k for athletic departments already in a financial pickle. Wipe any college sports until school year 2021-22. Let the pros be the lab rats. Allow these kids to have their eligibility frozen but progress academically. Let them make the choice once they get their degree if they want to keep playing. Or they can opt out of athletics entirely by a specified date but keep their scholarship.

Those are my random thoughts. Thank you.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-12, 08:44

What a spring college football season could -- and should -- look like
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-08-12, 08:59

DWags wrote:Just put that to bed.

For crissake DWags, this isn’t the place to talk about common sense based on your personal experience in college coaching.

Duffy had it right almost 50 years ago when he said, “Football isn’t a contact sport, it’s a collision sport.”

Players can’t be expected to play an 8-10 game schedule ending after spring football typically would end then lose 12 weeks of life without contact.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-12, 09:15

the sooner people accept the fact that CFB isn't happened until at least the Fall of 2021, the easier it will be to move on to more meaningful discussions.

(not referring to folks here, as we aren't known for our 'meaningful discussions' - just referring to the population in general).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-12, 10:45

Seeing articles asking if this is the end of Nebraska in the B10 conference. I doubt it too much money but we shall see.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-12, 10:53

steveschneider wrote:Seeing articles asking if this is the end of Nebraska in the B10 conference. I doubt it too much money but we shall see.

I doubt it.

They won't want to miss the Spring Season.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-12, 11:17

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Seeing articles asking if this is the end of Nebraska in the B10 conference. I doubt it too much money but we shall see.

I doubt it.

They won't want to miss the Spring Season.

Maybe they should just get back to what they do best and go out and husk some corn.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-12, 15:51

Buckeyes' Ryan Day wants spring college football season to start in early January
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2020-08-14, 18:25

Nordic wrote:Buckeyes' Ryan Day wants spring college football season to start in early January

So, he wants to give a few kids hypothermia and get 5 years of playing time on recruits that enroll early. Well, shoot big Ryan. You go for it.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-08-15, 00:58

college football coaches are more nauseating than usual right now
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2020-08-15, 03:26

Scott Frost really wants that first year where he's above anybody other than Maryland & Rutgers.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 07:08

The hypocrisy of the big ten saying they’re canceling for the health and welfare of the athletes, but turning around and saying let’s have two seasons in one calendar year. Yeah that’s great for the kids.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-15, 07:56

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:college football coaches are more nauseating than usual right now

Most of them are meat heads that should just stay in their lane.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 08:09

steveschneider wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:college football coaches are more nauseating than usual right now

Disagree with this. Obviously in this situation the love of their life is being taken away from them and some are reacting without thinking. Also some coaches I know have only one skill set: figuring out football. But in my lifetime of work and meeting many of them and sitting in meetings listening to them or socializing over beers with them, there are some real smart PhD type motherfuckers in their ranks, capable of doing many things well and often doing just that in many different fields after. The stereotype is certainly there for a reason but to cast that wide of a net over all coaches is not right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-15, 08:42

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Disagree with this. Obviously in this situation the love of their life is being taken away from them and some are reacting without thinking. Also some coaches I know have only one skill set: figuring out football. But in my lifetime of work and meeting many of them and sitting in meetings listening to them or socializing over beers with them, there are some real smart PhD type motherfuckers in their ranks, capable of doing many things well and often doing just that in many different fields after. The stereotype is certainly there for a reason but to cast that wide of a net over all coaches is not right.

I probably should have changed my words ‘most of them’ to ‘there are some real’.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-08-15, 09:48

Dwags they released a schedule then six days later canceled the season. They collected season ticket money from people right up until then as if there was ever a chance in hell there would be fans in attendance. I think you’re spending too much time taking their “we’ll play in the spring” at face value. They’re not, and they don’t intend to.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 10:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Dwags they released a schedule then six days later canceled the season. They collected season ticket money from people right up until then as if there was ever a chance in hell there would be fans in attendance. I think you’re spending too much time taking their “we’ll play in the spring” at face value. They’re not, and they don’t intend to.

Isn’t that what I said? Travis you’re smarter than me and so I’m often confused by you. But I think we agree.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-08-15, 10:17

DWags wrote:The hypocrisy of the big ten saying they’re canceling for the health and welfare of the athletes, but turning around and saying let’s have two seasons in one calendar year. Yeah that’s great for the kids.

Oh I just read this and not the rest of the thread I don’t have time for that kind of thing dwags. Maybe I should quote things too to further avoid confusion but.... ya know time is money
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 10:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:The hypocrisy of the big ten saying they’re canceling for the health and welfare of the athletes, but turning around and saying let’s have two seasons in one calendar year. Yeah that’s great for the kids.

Oh I just read this and not the rest of the thread I don’t have time for that kind of thing dwags. Maybe I should quote things too to further avoid confusion but.... ya know time is money

I don’t work saturdays. But we still agree. I think.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-15, 14:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Dwags they released a schedule then six days later canceled the season. They collected season ticket money from people right up until then as if there was ever a chance in hell there would be fans in attendance. I think you’re spending too much time taking their “we’ll play in the spring” at face value. They’re not, and they don’t intend to.

I think they'll try to play in the spring. Because $.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-16, 08:28

Paying the players seems like a solution. pig
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-16, 09:38

steveschneider wrote:Paying the players seems like a solution. pig

You'd still have to put them in a bubble though.

Or a modified bubble like MLB is sort of using.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-16, 10:23

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Paying the players seems like a solution. pig

A bubble becomes possible once you get amateurism out of the way.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-16, 11:44

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

A modified bubble (but better than MLB) would work without paying kids.

MSU could put teams (like basketball) in Kellogg for a 2 month season.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-08-16, 13:07

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Force the kids to bubble up and dance the dance for no pay so the exploiters still get their money. Seems fair.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-16, 13:54

Cameron wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Force the kids to bubble up and dance the dance for no pay so the exploiters still get their money. Seems fair.

Whether it's "fair" in that sense is immaterial. Players getting exploited is a separate issue (and not different than any other year).

If that was presented as an option to the players, or was presented as an option by the players...I'm guessing a large percentage of them would do it.

Players can opt out if they don't want to do it.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-16, 16:55

NigelUno wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Whether it's "fair" in that sense is immaterial. Players getting exploited is a separate issue (and not different than any other year).

If that was presented as an option to the players, or was presented as an option by the players...I'm guessing a large percentage of them would do it.

Players can opt out if they don't want to do it.

Go to 6:20 or so.

https://youtu.be/CrID24bpYls

Doesn’t sound like a bubble is do able if the antlers are just ‘students’.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-19, 19:09

I’ll just leave this here...
Big Ten's goal: January start for football, with hopes for full fall 2021 schedule

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/big-ten/2020/08/19/big-tens-goal-january-start-football-hopes-full-fall-2021-schedule/5610483002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next