Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Give me your best vacations: summer, winter, Spring and Fall

+11
Nordic
The Pantry
gomersbro
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Empty Give me your best vacations: summer, winter, Spring and Fall

Post by DWags Sat 15 Jul 2023 - 21:52

What were they?  I got 10-15 years left. I have my favorites, but where have any of you all gone in one of those four seasons that you’d highly recommend to anyone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Empty Re: Give me your best vacations: summer, winter, Spring and Fall

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 15 Jul 2023 - 22:03

Probably not the best person to ask, as I'm pretty exclusive on what I dig. But...

Costa Rica in December
London in the Spring
Western North Carolina in October
Summer sucks
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Empty Re: Give me your best vacations: summer, winter, Spring and Fall

Post by DWags Sat 15 Jul 2023 - 22:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Probably not the best person to ask, as I'm pretty exclusive on what I dig. But...

Costa Rica in December
London in the Spring
Summer sucks

I get the first two. What should I look to do in WNC in October?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 15 Jul 2023 - 22:32

Up North
Up North
UP North
UP North
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay, DWags, Turtleneck, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat 15 Jul 2023 - 23:25

Ireland in mid April - first week of May. Decent weather and its before the tourist crush or the last 2 weeks of September into Oct.
Spent 17 days there this spring.  Dublin is like a tailgate everyday.  Galway is a college town of about 100,000.  

London is massive.  Close to 10M.  (Metro Dublin is about 1.5M)  Lots of things to see but you can catch a train to Scotland too.

Vancouver BC / Vancouver Island in September/October  Eat fresh seafood on the docks and if you're on the mainland you can be in the mountains 45 min later

Northern Italy/ Switzerland / Austria in the late fall or early spring.  I'm not a fan of Southern Italy.  (Caveat on Switzerland is its expensive as hell.)  Florence is a great city.

Spain and/or Portugal in late August into September.  You might escape the heat.  Beaches are stunning and you can eat relatively cheap.

PS
Dwags, If you still have your place in Saugatuck your are set for June/July/August.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 0:20

I’m with Floyd re: Up North. My best and favorite memories were all captured on Walloon Lake. But since we don’t have the cottage anymore, and because our dog(s) haven’t minded time at the kennel while we flew elsewhere, I’ll offer a couple here:
•Caribbean cruise during a Michigan winter. End of January/early February. Just getting away from the slush and shit of winter made it totally worth it. Even those days when you’re just at sea are relaxing. Ridiculous amounts of sunshine and whatever amounts of food and booze you prefer are great ways to break up seemingly endless gray skies hovering over America’s High Five.
•Pick your European destination for Christmas and/or New Year’s. While I’m not a big fan of Paris, seeing it at the holidays was really nice. The olde world charm of the Christmas markets were really cool. I like Amsterdam way more than Paris, but it’s pretty dreary in late December/early January, although the Christmas markets were cool there, too. I really want to visit Amsterdam and the Netherlands in spring or summer when the colors come alive.
•Italy (central and Southern) any season.

For the same reason I like getting out of Michigan to break up winter, I’m not really a fan of leaving the state in summer because it will feel like it’s been shortened considerably.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 0:24

Another: Alaskan cruise in July/August. Honestly, everyone should take an Alaskan cruise at least once in their lifetime. It’s stunning.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 8:03

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Probably not the best person to ask, as I'm pretty exclusive on what I dig. But...

Costa Rica in December
London in the Spring
Summer sucks

I get the first two.  What should I look to do in WNC in October?
just be outside. Lots of hiking, etc. Depending on where you are (Asheville gets a little overrun), lots of beautiful little towns with great restaurants, breweries, walkable mainstreets, etc.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. Lots of overlooks every few miles or so.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall LLH-Blog-Featured-Image-1170-x-600-2

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Waterrock-knob-overlook-on-the-parkway
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 8:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:Up North
Up North
UP North
UP North
it's a magical place.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 9:44

- Camping trip via car from Michigan to Maine and back, northern route along the lakes & Mt Desert Island, take bikes
- Camping trip via car from Michigan to California and back, northern route outbound, southern route return
- Camping trip via car in the UP, be sure to stay on the Keweenaw & at Black River & visit as many waterfalls as possible
- Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island 4th of July, with kids
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

The Pantry, DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 9:59

When my wife retires maybe a cross country trip hitting every town named Springfield in the United States.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Img_6612

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 10:28

DWags wrote:When my wife retires maybe a cross country trip hitting every town named Springfield in the United States.

On the trip to CA we went on highways, not freeways, until some issues about time in SD, however we visited "Little House" towns, SO & kids are big fans, and followed the route driven by Robert Pirsig in Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace out to Yellowstone. The road into Yellowstone from Red Lodge, MT, was awesome.

For longer car trips it is good to have some day-to-day goals like yours.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 12:36

GRR Spartan wrote:Ireland in mid April - first week of May. Decent weather and its before the tourist crush or the last 2 weeks of September into Oct.
Spent 17 days there this spring.  Dublin is like a tailgate everyday.  Galway is a college town of about 100,000.  

London is massive.  Close to 10M.  (Metro Dublin is about 1.5M)  Lots of things to see but you can catch a train to Scotland too.

Vancouver BC / Vancouver Island in September/October  Eat fresh seafood on the docks and if you're on the mainland you can be in the mountains 45 min later

Northern Italy/ Switzerland / Austria in the late fall or early spring.  I'm not a fan of Southern Italy.  (Caveat on Switzerland is its expensive as hell.)  Florence is a great city.

Spain and/or Portugal in late August into September.  You might escape the heat.  Beaches are stunning and you can eat relatively cheap.

PS
Dwags, If you still have your place in Saugatuck your are set for June/July/August.

Contemplating surprising my wife with a trip to Ireland next year. Honestly it’s not in my top 20 destinations. It’s her #1. I’ve checked the weather the last three weeks daily. It’s rained every single day. Every. Single. day. why waste a summer trip to get rained on every day? I don’t get it.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Img_0011
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 12:44

Summer: Rudyard or GreenWay's house
Fall: Mancelona or GreenWay's house
Spring: Flat Rock or GreenWay's house
Winter: Bessemer or GreenWay's house

Honorable mention: DeWitt for all seasons.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 12:47

Spring - Europe. Summer is too crowded and fall, at the interesting places, is too. The problem is climate change is making the spring rather short. It seems to jump from winter to summer quickly, so you have to get lucky with the weather.

Summer - USA & Canada. Get out of the cities and into the nature. Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, were all amazing. Oregon and Washington are great too. Yes, it can be warm in the day, but these places cool off quickly at night. We didn't get to Alberta, (Banff & Jasper) but I have heard nothing but good things.

Fall - Iceland. I was there in May, but I think September would be good too. There would be fewer people, and well I generally try to stay away from people on my vacations. September would also give you a chance to see the northern lights. When I was there in May there was never really any "darkness" being so far north and near the summer equinox.

Winter - Let me say over Christmas, everyone should go north of the Arctic circle once in their life. It is a unique experience. We were in Tromsø and it was very memorable. Not having a sunrise is weird. At noon, it is like a "normal" sunset but in the south. We also did a reindeer sleigh ride, dogsleding and saw the northern lights. It doesn't have to be Norway, I imagine Alaska and Iceland (yes not quite over the circle) would have similar experiences at the winter solstice.
gomersbro
Spartiate

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 12:59

Kngstonlake,

It rains in Ireland.  An island surrounded by one ocean and three seas.  When we were there it rained when we arrived and had some sprinkles and rained a couple evenings along with some overcast days.  Never changed plans due to rain and walked a lot.

Did get sunburned cycling on Aran Island.

Rained a lot in London & Scotland too but really enjoyed the times there.

I’ll take overcast with some rain over Rome in the summer in a heatwave like my youngest experienced in June ‘22.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 14:39; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 13:37

Camped at Acadia NP in July.  Place is beautiful.  Bar Harbor is a bit touristy but the lobster is inexpensive.  Take a whale watching tour.

Enjoyed the San Diego area a number of times from December to March.

Really like the resort on Captiva Island.  Beautiful beach.  Went twice, both Labor day long weekends...avoided hurricanes.  Warm but not crazy hot.

UP/Keweenaw anytime of year...summer and fall are favorites.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 13:49

GRR Spartan wrote:Kngstonlake,

It rains in Ireland.  An island surrounded by one ocean and three seas.  When we were there it rained when we arrived and had some sprinkles and rained a couple evenings along with some overcast days.  Never changed plans due to rain and walked a lot.

Did get sunburned cycling on Aran Island.

Ranked a lot in London & Scotland too but really enjoyed the times there.

I’ll take overcast with some rain over Rome in the summer in a heatwave like my youngest experienced in June ‘22.

I get. But geez. My daughter visits her mom in England a couple times a year. She says summer is best for weather but it can be crowded. I’m trying to decide, at least weather wise, what the appreciable difference is in going winter vs summer. Maybe a few attractions may not be open? I’d be into the scenery which obviously is a year round thing. Decisions…
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 14:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I get the first two.  What should I look to do in WNC in October?
just be outside. Lots of hiking, etc. Depending on where you are (Asheville gets a little overrun), lots of beautiful little towns with great restaurants, breweries, walkable mainstreets, etc.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. Lots of overlooks every few miles or so.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall LLH-Blog-Featured-Image-1170-x-600-2

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Waterrock-knob-overlook-on-the-parkway

Is that Mio?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 14:47

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Is that Mio?

Luzerne.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 15:19

It's beautiful, Kingston.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 16:43

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Is that Mio?
yep.

The Mi-O-lago Truck Stop and Massage Parlor is just on the other side if that viaduct.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 19:58

DWags wrote:When my wife retires maybe a cross country trip hitting every town named Springfield in the United States.

If Homer Simpson hasn’t retired from the nuke power plant, stay away from that Springfield.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 20:16

kingstonlake wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Ireland in mid April - first week of May. Decent weather and its before the tourist crush or the last 2 weeks of September into Oct.

PS

Contemplating surprising my wife with a trip to Ireland next year. Honestly it’s not in my top 20 destinations. It’s her #1. I’ve checked the weather the last three weeks daily. It’s rained every single day. Every. Single. day. why waste a summer trip to get rained on every day? I don’t get it.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Img_0011

The UK isn’t exactly known for its beautiful weather, Kingston, but there are times of the year more desirable than others. I really want to go sooner than later.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 20:37

Winter: Hawaii

Spring: MSU FF, Derby, Indy, Daytoner, etc. Or somewhere it is not snowing and can get to cheaply for Spring Break.

Summer: 1a) Europe 1b) Road trip around the USA. Out West/Yellowstone. I haven’t been to the Smokey’s (posted above) in a while. It is on my return list. Absolutely loved the recent U.P. roadie. Roads are awesome and views amazing. Some really underrated beaches if your not afraid of a little shrinkage.

Fall: College football. You don’t fucking travel in the fall. Unless its to an away game. Wash was awesome. USC ‘25 on the agenda. And I’ll definitely go back to the Rose Bowl when we get UCLA on the road.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 21:30

Turtleneck wrote:Summer: Rudyard or GreenWay's house
Fall: Mancelona or GreenWay's house
Spring: Flat Rock or GreenWay's house
Winter: Bessemer or GreenWay's house

Honorable mention: DeWitt for all seasons.

It’s always hot & steamy at my pad.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 21:36

gomersbro wrote:Spring - Europe. Summer is too crowded and fall, at the interesting places, is too. The problem is climate change is making the spring rather short. It seems to jump from winter to summer quickly, so you have to get lucky with the weather.

Summer - USA & Canada. Get out of the cities and into the nature. Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, were all amazing. Oregon and Washington are great too. Yes, it can be warm in the day, but these places cool off quickly at night. We didn't get to Alberta, (Banff & Jasper) but I have heard nothing but good things.

Fall - Iceland. I was there in May, but I think September would be good too. There would be fewer people, and well I generally try to stay away from people on my vacations. September would also give you a chance to see the northern lights. When I was there in May there was never really any "darkness" being so far north and near the summer equinox.

Winter -  Let me say over Christmas, everyone should go north of the Arctic circle once in their life. It is a unique experience. We were in Tromsø and it was very memorable. Not having a sunrise is weird. At noon, it is like a "normal" sunset but in the south. We also did a reindeer sleigh ride, dogsleding and saw the northern lights. It doesn't have to be Norway, I imagine Alaska and Iceland (yes not quite over the circle) would have similar experiences at the winter solstice.

It won’t be Christmas but I’ll be in Tromsø and parts north next month. And yes, Dwags, I’m violating my own never-leave-Michigan-in-summer rule. But Mrs. GreenWay promised to go without me and everyone knows Iceland is basically a pleasure emporium for hooking up and massive amounts of other types of debauchery.

Edited to add: Really, I had no choice. Back here, there’s a sliding scale of opportunity for homely old men like myself.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 16 Jul 2023 - 23:41

Dwags, if you ever decide to violate Nordy’s rule about fall vacations, there’s always a color tour of New England. Mrs. GreenWay has a full itinerary of recommendations spanning the northeast corridor, although it’s not specifically for the fall. Several friends have used it as a jumping off point and really liked it. You’re welcome to it but please don’t sell it to others unless you split the profits with me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 8:24

tGreenWay wrote:
gomersbro wrote:Spring - Europe. Summer is too crowded and fall, at the interesting places, is too. The problem is climate change is making the spring rather short. It seems to jump from winter to summer quickly, so you have to get lucky with the weather.

Winter -  Let me say over Christmas, everyone should go north of the Arctic circle once in their life. It is a unique experience. We were in Tromsø and it was very memorable. Not having a sunrise is weird. At noon, it is like a "normal" sunset but in the south. We also did a reindeer sleigh ride, dogsleding and saw the northern lights. It doesn't have to be Norway, I imagine Alaska and Iceland (yes not quite over the circle) would have similar experiences at the winter solstice.

It won’t be Christmas but I’ll be in Tromsø and parts north next month. And yes, Dwags, I’m violating my own never-leave-Michigan-in-summer rule. But Mrs. GreenWay promised to go without me and everyone knows Iceland is basically a pleasure emporium for hooking up and massive amounts of other types of debauchery.

Edited to add: Really, I had no choice. Back here, there’s a sliding scale of opportunity for homely old men like myself.

Are you doing a cruise? I have heard good things about them as they are the best way to see the fjords. And are you hitting Nordkapp (the very north point where the globe is)? That is slowly moving up my list, as I don't think I will make it to Svalbard.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 8:42

If you want to go to the Philippines, it's a great place,  but you should probably know someone or travel agency.  Google Palawan,  though.Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall 20230718
Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall 20230719
Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall 20230717
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, Nordic and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 8:56

Paris/loire valley in the spring
Chicago in the summer
UP in the fall
Central America in the winter
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 11:34

gomersbro wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Are you doing a cruise? I have heard good things about them as they are the best way to see the fjords. And are you hitting Nordkapp (the very north point where the globe is)? That is slowly moving up my list, as I don't think I will make it to Svalbard.

Yes, it’s a cruise. Not sure of the specifics of our itinerary as I haven’t looked yet. My wife asked “do you want to” and I quickly said yes. I know we have a stop or two in Greenland, but I don’t think we’re heading as far north as you’d like to go. Having done an Alaskan cruise, I can confirm it’s an incredible way to navigate channels and fjords. I’m excited about this trip. Not looking forward to all the restaurants offering Rudolph for dinner, though. lol
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 12:17

Never been able to take a vacation in fall so I have no good answers there but I have spent a few days in the fall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bob ain't lyin'

Winter: Summit County all resorts pass. Awesome. Also, backpacking in the Smoky Mtns is great... no one is there.

Spring: Fly to Vegas. Ignore Vegas. Drive/Camp. Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim, San Juans CO (Durango Silverton RR in early May is awesome), back to Vegas (one night... rule is you can gamble with whatever you find on the floor), Mojave, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley. Fly out of Vegas. The great figure 8 vacation I call it.

Summer: SLC, Tetons, Yellowstone, Lolo NF, Glacier, Calgary and the Stampede, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Frank Church, Sawtooths, SLC.

Honorable mentions: 1. Boston, Portland ME to Yarmouth ferry (now defunct), Brier Island, Kejimkujik, Fundy, Acadia, Boston. 2. Allegheny, Bruce Peninsula NP, Tobermory - Manitoulin ferry, Missisagi PP, Lake Superior PP (Mijinimungshing canoe overnight). Might not have seen a khaki the whole trip.

Lots of trips you all have listed sound great.

Amazing that so few beach trips listed.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 12:44

Trapper Gus wrote:- Camping trip via car from Michigan to Maine and back, northern route along the lakes & Mt Desert Island, take bikes
- Camping trip via car from Michigan to California and back, northern route outbound, southern route return
- Camping trip via car in the UP, be sure to stay on the Keweenaw & at Black River & visit as many waterfalls as possible
- Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island 4th of July, with kids

I could finish a good chunk of this with the northern and southern route

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall Usatra10
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:23

tGreenWay wrote:Dwags, if you ever decide to violate Nordy’s rule about fall vacations, there’s always a color tour of New England. Mrs. GreenWay has a full itinerary of recommendations spanning the northeast corridor, although it’s not specifically for the fall. Several friends have used it as a jumping off point and really liked it. You’re welcome to it but please don’t sell it to others unless you split the profits with me.

Give me your best vacations:  summer, winter, Spring and Fall No-nope
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:25

tGreenWay wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

Yes, it’s a cruise. Not sure of the specifics of our itinerary as I haven’t looked yet. My wife asked “do you want to” and I quickly said yes. I know we have a stop or two in Greenland, but I don’t think we’re heading as far north as you’d like to go. Having done an Alaskan cruise, I can confirm it’s an incredible way to navigate channels and fjords. I’m excited about this trip. Not looking forward to all the restaurants offering Rudolph for dinner, though. lol

Cruises in general sound like completely dreadful to me. But an Alaska cruise has intrigued me. Send any recommendations you have.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:36

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Cruises in general sound like completely dreadful to me. But an Alaska cruise has intrigued me. Send any recommendations you have.

Never thought I’d like it, but if you stay away from the known party cruise lines and focus on those who cater to adults and seniors, not families, college age, or young singles, then you’re left with some pretty good options. We go with Oceania, which focuses much less on the onboard toys and entertainment and more on its restaurants and types of classes offered. My wife took some cooking classes on one cruise, and there’s usually an on-board artist-in-residence giving classes on painting and/or sculpting. It’s rare to see little kids on an Oceania cruise and I can’t recall ever seeing a group of college kids. It’s just a different environment. Even the food in the main dining room and lunch/dinner all-you-can-eat areas are really very good.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:41

Oh, and I’ll find our old Alaska itinerary and pass it along. The views were crazy beautiful, and a couple of the day excursions stood out: Taking a boat to see the bears of Anan, mostly black and some brown bears feeding on pink salmon in a stream so thick with fish it blackened the water. And taking a helicopter to a glacier to see sled dogs training for the Iditarod. Got to ride with a musher also in training. One of those once in a lifetime things that was so much fun.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:49

Be careful in Iceland. Southeast of Reykjavík is the town of Hveragerdi, where banana pizza is popular. for real. Bananas on pizza. I lost all respect for Iceland.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 18:38

Turtleneck wrote:Be careful in Iceland. Southeast of Reykjavík is the town of Hveragerdi, where banana pizza is popular. for real. Bananas on pizza. I lost all respect for Iceland.

That sounds dreadful. Not surprised a land where sandy beaches are black they’d like bananas on their pizzas.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next