Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MHSAA moves football to spring

+13
CORNER BLITZ
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
y2kMgrad
duffy munn
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
InTenSity
kingstonlake
aualum06
17 posters

Go down

MHSAA moves football to spring Empty MHSAA moves football to spring

Post by aualum06 2020-08-14, 16:24

https://www.mhsaa.com/News/Press-Releases/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/9189/MHSAA-Announces-Football-to-Move-to-Spring-Season-for-2020-21
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

MHSAA moves football to spring Empty Re: MHSAA moves football to spring

Post by aualum06 2020-08-14, 16:24

After a week of practice nice
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-08-14, 16:26

Whats football?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-08-14, 17:36

Madden Football is going to be so popular this year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-14, 17:59

Five games and everyone makes the playoffs.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-14, 18:00

DWags wrote:Five games and everyone makes the playoffs.

I'm not even sure our field is playable. It's usually so wet until may that the kids would destroy it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-08-15, 16:11

Luckily my Sr. Hates his fall sport... XC... So if they cancel it no biggy.

He has played competitive baseball since he was like 10-12... Football players now have to choose between football and baseball/track? Ug. That's probably 50% of the baseball team... Wait, the V football coach is the JV baseball and visa versa... How the hell is that going to fly?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 17:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Luckily my Sr. Hates his fall sport... XC... So if they cancel it no biggy.

He has played competitive baseball since he was like 10-12... Football players now have to choose between football and baseball/track? Ug. That's probably 50% of the baseball team... Wait, the V football coach is the JV baseball and visa versa... How the hell is that going to fly?

Was talking to a midland football guy. Midland has a good squad this year in large part because of a third year starting QB. He also is one of the best baseball players in the state and could be drafted. Small schools will be impossible to do it.

This is a mess. Start training in February. Play a short schedule from March till mid May. Run spring sports till the end of July, start fall back up.

Sorry to hear about your son. Hope there is some sort of normalcy for any of you with kids soon. Same for the teachers and spouses of teachers. This is nuts. B
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-15, 17:31

So what’s everybody think: Is DWags closer to Ph.D or meat head?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-08-15, 18:37

tGreenWay wrote:So what’s everybody think: Is DWags closer to Ph.D or meat head?

Yes
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay, DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 21:18

[tw]1294719510444998656?s=21[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-08-15, 21:55

170,000 dead in the US and almost a million dead worldwide and we are still talking about football. Yawn.
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-15, 22:01

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:170,000 dead in the US and almost a million dead worldwide and we are still talking about football. Yawn.

I mean should we stop talking about NBA, gambling, or is this the topic you choose to be your holier than god self on? I’m good either way. MHSAA football bad cause dead people. NBA. Well..., Different. Cool. Hook em.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-08-15, 22:41

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:170,000 dead in the US and almost a million dead worldwide and we are still talking about football. Yawn.

I mean should we stop talking about NBA, gambling, or is this the topic you choose to be your holier than god self on? I’m good either way. MHSAA football bad cause dead people. NBA. Well..., Different. Cool. Hook em.
OTPT has a way of determining what is important and what isn't.

Also a way of rising above it all.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2020-08-15, 23:48

It definitely sucks. Everything sucks this year. But I still think it's the right decision. I just don't see how they can play without spreading this disease. Unless we're just gonna say fuck it and go the herd immunity route.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-15, 23:52

I think that is the unspoken philosophy of a large portion of the population at this point.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-16, 00:11

DWags wrote:

I don't think you're picking up what he's laying down. The NBA is a way, waaaaay different animal. Amateur sports cannot be played in a bubble. From NCAA to MHSAA. It's an absurd concept that puts sports above academics. We know it to be true in NCAA but the big secret is no one can officially admit it on record. So it can't happen. To think that it can happen in HS is even more ridiculous.

A bubble is perfectly safe. It's working.

If you could bubble MHSAA or NCAAF or even the NFL I guaranfuckingtee you OTPT (and I) would be wanking off to those games and watching them (and betting on them) intently and be super grateful that we could do so.

Without a bubble the thought is stupid to be honest. Unrealistic. And thus...yawn.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-08-16, 02:11

I meant as a country fighting taking this seriously and thinking football should happen, nothing about posts about it. Should have explained it better but the usual wanted to take it personal. Enjoy, long past my days of getting into things like this.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-16, 05:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
DWags wrote:

I don't think you're picking up what he's laying down. The NBA is a way, waaaaay different animal. Amateur sports cannot be played in a bubble. From NCAA to MHSAA. It's an absurd concept that puts sports above academics. We know it to be true in NCAA but the big secret is no one can officially admit it on record. So it can't happen. To think that it can happen in HS is even more ridiculous.

If you could bubble MHSAA or NCAAF or even the NFL I guaranfuckingtee you OTPT (and I) would be wanking off to those games and watching them (and betting on them) intently and be super grateful that we could do so.

Without a bubble the thought is stupid to be honest. Unrealistic. And thus...yawn.

No, I do t think you’re getting what I’m laying down. This is a message board. We talk about things. We talk about the mhsaa and football. We talk about bubbles. We talk about gambling. We certainly can say we’re bored or jump into a thread and write a sentence and say “yawn” at the end of it. But Bob has that repetitive schtick.

I’m not the least bit interested in the gambling thread. You won’t catch me jumping in with a sentence and saying how boring that is while not considering the gambling problems in America. It’s just smart ass.

The tweet I posted is a guy giving reasons the season was canceled and saying it’s the governors office. That, to me, is worthy of discussion because she’s been very active in trying to prevent spread. So, if you don’t think that it’s worthy of discussion cool, don’t chime in. You have the absolute right to say what you want in any thread, but if I jump into a boring gambling thread to tell you how bored I am of gambling when we have so many lives and families ruined by it, I’d expect some shit. Or at least an eye roll
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-16, 10:03

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

No, I do t think you’re getting what I’m laying down. This is a message board. We talk about things. We talk about the mhsaa and football. We talk about bubbles. We talk about gambling. We certainly can say we’re bored or jump into a thread and write a sentence and say “yawn” at the end of it. But Bob has that repetitive schtick.

I’m not the least bit interested in the gambling thread. You won’t catch me jumping in with a sentence and saying how boring that is while not considering the gambling problems in America. It’s just smart ass.

The tweet I posted is a guy giving reasons the season was canceled and saying it’s the governors office. That, to me, is worthy of discussion because she’s been very active in trying to prevent spread. So, if you don’t think that it’s worthy of discussion cool, don’t chime in. You have the absolute right to say what you want in any thread, but if I jump into a boring gambling thread to tell you how bored I am of gambling when we have so many lives and families ruined by it, I’d expect some shit. Or at least an eye roll

And she's not going to allow vball or swimming either. Why they drag their feet and allow these kids to practice outside is beyond me
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-17, 08:58

It was Whitmer who canceled football. She has been pretty progressive in trying to stop this. Sounds like she wants to block AAU ball too. She’s on a mission.

[tw]1295068150510366720?s=21[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-08-17, 11:40

So many football players going to roll over into....cross country lol

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-17, 11:45

CORNER BLITZ wrote:So many football players going to roll over into....cross country lol

There will be a bigger log jam with football/baseball stars this Spring. I like that our governor is saying we’re gonna do this for safety.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-08-17, 12:14

Accidentally down voted you Wags. Can't cancel it so I upvoted you in another post.

Very important shit here.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, CORNER BLITZ and Watch Out Pylon! like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-08-17, 13:08

DWags wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:So many football players going to roll over into....cross country lol

There will be a bigger log jam with football/baseball stars this Spring. I like that our governor is saying we’re gonna do this for safety.

MHSAA moves football to spring 1837840279MHSAA moves football to spring 1837840279
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-17, 13:38

not sure if XC can get through unscathed. I coached HS cross-country for 5 years and while, yeah, nobody is running a fullback up the middle on 3rd and 2 and everything that involves, there is a lot of pack running, lots of heaving breathing, coughing, snot rockets, etc - ever see the finish line at a huge meet? Maybe 30 kids crossing within 3-5 seconds of each other.

now, of course, coaches can encourage social distancing, passing another runner with 6 feet between you, but how practical is that?

about the only HS sport where I could see it going off with low risk would be golf, maybe tennis. Even with tennis, you have multiple players, etc. handling the same ball in less-than-sanitary fashion.

bottom line is that nothing is 'no risk' when it comes to this. The question is, how much risk are we willing to accept?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-08-17, 14:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:not sure if XC can get through unscathed. I coached HS cross-country for 5 years and while, yeah, nobody is running a fullback up the middle on 3rd and 2 and everything that involves,  there is a lot of pack running, lots of heaving breathing, coughing, snot rockets, etc - ever see the finish line at a huge meet? Maybe 30 kids crossing within 3-5 seconds of each other.

now, of course, coaches can encourage social distancing, passing another runner with 6 feet between you, but how practical is that?

about the only HS sport where I could see it going off with low risk would be golf, maybe tennis. Even with tennis, you have multiple players, etc. handling the same ball in less-than-sanitary fashion.

bottom line is that nothing is 'no risk' when it comes to this. The question is, how much risk are we willing to accept?

For all of these measures that need to be in place to do school, or sports, they are asking children to behave abnormally. I've been coaching with a mountain biking club all summer and we've really been lucky, thanks mostly to our location. Kids are expected to social distance and wear face coverings, and it's like pulling teeth getting them to remember to do so AT ALL TIMES. It's unreasonable to expect kids to act that way, especially since there is not 100% buy in at home.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-08-17, 14:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:not sure if XC can get through unscathed. I coached HS cross-country for 5 years and while, yeah, nobody is running a fullback up the middle on 3rd and 2 and everything that involves, there is a lot of pack running, lots of heaving breathing, coughing, snot rockets, etc - ever see the finish line at a huge meet? Maybe 30 kids crossing within 3-5 seconds of each other.

Since XC is a timed race, couldn't you stagger the start times? Start 4 kids every 15/20 minutes?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-17, 14:36

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:not sure if XC can get through unscathed. I coached HS cross-country for 5 years and while, yeah, nobody is running a fullback up the middle on 3rd and 2 and everything that involves, there is a lot of pack running, lots of heaving breathing, coughing, snot rockets, etc - ever see the finish line at a huge meet? Maybe 30 kids crossing within 3-5 seconds of each other.

Since XC is a timed race, couldn't you stagger the start times? Start 4 kids every 15/20 minutes?

I think the meets are limited to 70 total runners too.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-17, 15:09

InTenSity wrote:

Wow, what a great idea. In big meets a set of runners might get an advantage if start times are spread over 2 hours or more but this is a great idea.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-08-17, 16:07

InTenSity wrote:

interesting concept and kids/coaches would likely prefer this to no season at all, but it would eliminate the head-to-head competition, strategy within XC races, etc. The race would almost be like a time trial of just the runner vs. the clock (though they would be grouped with a few other kids in your scenario).

like I said, I get it. Probably better than no season at all. Would be a nightmare to be a race official under this
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-08-18, 00:27

Rumor that an eo is coming that will shut down all rec and youth football as well
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-18, 06:51

aualum06 wrote:Rumor that an eo is coming that will shut down all rec and youth football as well

Yep. That also might be a concession to the mhsaa about AAU organizations at any level. It will be interesting to see how far it goes.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-08-18, 08:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
interesting concept and kids/coaches would likely prefer this to no season at all, but it would eliminate the head-to-head competition, strategy within XC races, etc. The race would almost be like a time trial of just the runner vs. the clock (though they would be grouped with a few other kids in your scenario).

like I said, I get it. Probably better than no season at all. Would be a nightmare to be a race official under this

Gotta be an app for that. Put those virtual reality headsets on everyone.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-09-03, 20:52

Annnnd they're back

https://footballscoop.com/news/michigan-reverses-field-will-allow-high-school-football-this-fall/

Teams will be permitted to begin practicing in helmets and shoulder pads on Sept. 8, and begin full padded practices on Sept. 10. Games may begin Sept. 18, leading to a 6-game season. Playoffs will conclude at the 8-man level on Nov. 28, and 11-man playoffs will run through Dec. 5.

I assume they haven't been practicing like colleges have so they just have that 10 days of practice?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-09-03, 20:57

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Annnnd they're back

https://footballscoop.com/news/michigan-reverses-field-will-allow-high-school-football-this-fall/

Teams will be permitted to begin practicing in helmets and shoulder pads on Sept. 8, and begin full padded practices on Sept. 10. Games may begin Sept. 18, leading to a 6-game season. Playoffs will conclude at the 8-man level on Nov. 28, and 11-man playoffs will run through Dec. 5.

I assume they haven't been practicing like colleges have so they just have that 10 days of practice?

Yeah pretty quick time for high school bodies
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-09-03, 21:27

Fathers of sons???

What’s your opinion? Would you bless this or would you say no. I have two girls so I don’t need to answer so blow me.
Glad I wouldn’t Have to make that decision.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-03, 21:34

The answer would be if the father lives through his hs football days. (Al Bundy)

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-09-03, 21:36

I didn't want my kid to have "in school" class, but he whined enough because he's a Sr... Prolly kill me. Little ass better feel guilty.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down