Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger vs Jack

+16
Izzo Court
CheesySpartan
Blanch32
DroppedByADime
By-Tor
Ass Dan
kingstonlake
Cosmo_Kramer
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
WBill
JEK
y2kMgrad
Three_Putt_Par
Frank Ricard
DWags
20 posters

Go down

Tiger vs Jack Empty Tiger vs Jack

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 14:07

With the emergence of these young studs and even more of them to come (you know there are 16, 17, 18 year olds out there who will be great) I think Tiger falls short of Jack and we can all appreciate what Jack did a bit more

I do believe, at his peak, I've not seen a better golfer then Tiger Woods. He was amazing. I also think he created the monster that has and will over take him. He made the golf game huge, he brought sports science into it. (With a nod to Gary Player here) Now all these guys who were mesmerized by him have become awesome. Did Rory drive one 360?

It's a game I am not familiar with. It's also at a level that seems to be out of reach for Tiger's diminishing skills. He might catch one or two more majors, but I think it's a lot to ask to win four more. Especially against the field he helped create.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tiger vs Jack Empty Re: Tiger vs Jack

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-07-20, 14:20

Tiger was never going to pass Jack in my book, no matter how many more majors he wins. In golf more than in other sports, it's about your conduct as much as it is your records.

Having said that, if you only look at the golf, I think it's fair to say we may never see a 10 year stretch like Woods' had. 2000 will go down as the best anyone played in my lifetime.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par 2014-07-20, 16:14

With every passing year, the question of passing Jack has turned into more of a question will Tiger even win another major.

I say he wins another Masters and that's it. He can't drive the ball anymore and doesn't have the same power advantage he had early in his career. Not to mention, he hasn't stayed healthy and no one is scared of him anymore.

At this rate, I'd be disappointed if he's selected to this year's Ryder Cup as a captain's pick. He doesn't deserve it right now and wouldn't be doing the US any favors with the way he is currently playing.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2014-07-20, 16:25

Yeah, I think he might win one more major but that's about it. The injuries seem to have dismantled his game. He has been spectacular for the game of golf though. He's single-handedly made it mainstream and every time he played the tv ratings soared.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 21:36

y2kMgrad wrote:Yeah, I think he might win one more major but that's about it. The injuries seem to have dismantled his game. He has been spectacular for the game of golf though. He's single-handedly made it mainstream and every time he played the tv ratings soared.

He mismanaged himself due to his own personal demons. He is the biggest golfer ever he could have set himself in a category not seen before as far as popularity.

I think he has one or two more left, then just count his money and score unbelievable ass all over the world.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-07-20, 21:51

Who cares. Tiger sucks and is a piece of shit. I will be happy once all the Tiger fanboys go away.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-07-20, 22:14

Tom Watson beat Tiger this weekend.  

Tom is the Ryder Cup captain this year.......Would you pick Tiger for the team if you were Tom ?
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-20, 22:32

WBill wrote:Tom Watson beat Tiger this weekend.  

Tom is the Ryder Cup captain this year.......Would you pick Tiger for the team if you were Tom ?

No
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-20, 22:36

WBill wrote:Tom Watson beat Tiger this weekend.  

I'm no fan of Tiger Woods but Watson will take him.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-20, 22:59

Tiger will not win another major. His violent swing and/or PEDs took him down. We can only hope the momentum he created will help continue the interest in watching Professional Golf. I like that we have a new crop of young, exciting players coming up, and it helps that we have 1/2 Tiger/Phil to bridge the gap, but what's going to hurt IMO is that the apparent next gen phenom is not American. I really like Rory but I think it will be tough for many Americans to adopt him as "must see TV" because you have to root for a guy to do that, and it's going to be tough for many Americans to consistently root for a guy who plays for the other team in the Ryder Cup.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-07-21, 00:03

Golf ...meh. Tiger won't get the record anyway.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par 2014-07-21, 00:41

duffy munn wrote:

I'm no fan of Tiger Woods but Watson will take him.

Even if Tiger doesn't make the FedEx Cup playoffs, and therefore won't play any competitive golf between the PGA and Ryder Cup?

I don't see how you could take him in that case.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-07-21, 03:12

There are some really interesting timelines to new tour policies, Woods injuries, time off from the tour, and performances in majors since implementation of said policies.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-07-21, 06:18

JEK wrote:Who cares. Tiger sucks and is a piece of shit. I will be happy once all the Tiger fanboys go away.

You mean when he was getting smoked yesterday and throwing his clubs on the course, you couldn't think of some inane excuse to defend his behavior?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-21, 07:52

kingstonlake wrote:There are some really interesting timelines to new tour policies, Woods injuries, time off from the tour, and performances in majors since implementation of said policies.

You don't say..........
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-07-21, 15:30

He will still be a force at Augusta for the next 7 years or so. Unless US Open is at Torrey Pines soon, he'll basically have no chance in that tourney in the future. Like someone said above, he needs to drive the ball straight. If he can figure that out for a 2 -3 year stretch then you never know.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-07-21, 16:02

Zero more majors for him. Second best ever.

Life's complicated... Jack said it many times... Tough to be a father, husband etc and beat the world at golf.

Jack did it. Tiger, despite his fortune, his advantages- never could.

I posted a "sorry tiger "thread on the old board that he'd never win another major many years ago ... Got blasted.

Oops. Sorry again, Tiger. You're done. Like hotdogs at an apartment complex done.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-07-21, 16:03

By-Tor wrote:He will still be a force at Augusta for the next 7 years or so.   Unless US Open is at Torrey Pines soon, he'll basically have no chance in that tourney in the future.     Like someone said above, he needs to drive the ball straight.  If he can figure that out for a 2 -3 year stretch then you never know.  

Augusta is his best shot at another major. But by no means does it make him a "force". He's not even a top ten player in the world. You'd be hard pressed to think he will finish higher than Rory in 2 out of 7 of those years.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-07-21, 16:04

.....and who really cares???

Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-07-21, 16:23

I'm believing those PED rumors during his prime more and more...I thought he would pass Jack easy.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-07-21, 16:52

I don't think Tiger will even win another tournament unless he's on the senior tour.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-07-21, 16:53

CheesySpartan wrote:I'm believing those PED rumors during his prime more and more...I thought he would pass Jack easy.

I def would not be surprised but during his prime his putting was lights out. Especially in the clutch. So I'm not sure what to think. golf is a peculiar sport game. You have 60 year olds performing better than twenty something's all the time. Extremely mental game obv
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 17:51

Do they test for PEDS in golf?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-07-21, 18:35

DWags wrote:Do they test for PEDS in golf?    

Good question, since a bunch of those guys weigh about 160 lbs soaking wet. And height above about 6'1 is considered a disadvantage.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-03-29, 18:17

Mighty fine article in this week's SI on Tiger.

What Happened to Tiger Woods? It's the Most Vexing Question in Sports
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-03-29, 22:32

Spieth is gonna pass Tiger someday.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-03-29, 22:42

Grandparents have a place on the Muskegon River. Great place to chill, fish, have a few beers, and float down the river. It's a few miles down from Croton Dam. Anyway, Gramps was grilling out on the deck when the Golden Bear comes floating down the river with some buddies in a fishing boat. Grandpa was stunned. Jack waved and kept going downstream. Cool story bro.

Last edited by Tim Wakefield on 2016-03-29, 22:43; edited 2 times in total
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-03-29, 22:43

Tim Wakefield wrote:Grandparents have a place on the Muskegon River. Great place to chill, fish, have a few beers, and float down the river. It's a few miles down from Croton Dam. Anyway, Gramps was grilling out on the deck when the Golden Bear comes floating down the river with some buddies in a fishing boat. Grandpa was stunned. Jack waved and kept going downstream. Cool story bro.

My friend's dad is in Florida for a few more weeks. He sent her a picture of a dude next to him at a range down there. Spieth. Da man.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-03-29, 22:45

Spieth my dude
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-03-29, 22:45

Tim Wakefield wrote:Grandparents have a place on the Muskegon River. Great place to chill, fish, have a few beers, and float down the river. It's a few miles down from Croton Dam. Anyway, Gramps was grilling out on the deck when the Golden Bear comes floating down the river with some buddies in a fishing boat. Grandpa was stunned. Jack waved and kept going downstream. Cool story bro.
That really is a cool story bro
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-03-29, 23:26

Death Roe wrote:Spieth is gonna pass Tiger someday.
Doubtful.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-03-30, 10:40

Spieth is an amazing golfer but not a guy I typically root for or would ever have a beer with. He prob has a personality coach.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-03-30, 10:43

Spieth is already struggling this year. Each year Golf wants to have the 'Next' Tiger/Nicholson/Player' and they push the agenda. Spieth played out of his mind last year, but the thing about golf is that you have to do it consistently for a few years. I swear, 3 years ago it Rory was next, this year it will probably be Day. The group of golfers out there, might be some of the most competitive there have been in the last 15 or 20 years, so it might be a group of about 5-8 golfers who all play well.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down