Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post election politics

+9
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Heathens '87
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post election politics Empty Post election politics

Post by kingstonlake 2020-11-06, 09:20

If Biden ends up winning the oval office, where does the GOP go from here? What does 2024 look like? It think it's clear the GOP cannot win an election without bringing out overtly racist and radical supporters. A guy like John Kashich or others of similar moderate political views has ZERO chance of bringing them out.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post election politics Empty Re: Post election politics

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-06, 09:23

The guy I keep hearing is Tom Cotton.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 09:44

Who's that guy with the eye patch from Texas? He's an epic liar that's my pick.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-06, 09:46

steveschneider wrote:Who's that guy with the eye patch from Texas? He's an epic liar that's my pick.

Pair him with Nikki Haley and you've got their dream team.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-11-06, 09:49

2022 is the next important election. Democrats need to take over the Senate. Allowing states with populations smaller than a medium sized city in a larger state have more power than those states, is ridiculous.
Actually, I want to actively work to get Rubio voted out of office here in FL.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-11-06, 09:55

Interesting questions for both parties and neither expected to have to address them heading to 2024....

Republicans - the first priority for the GOP will be the Senate in Georgia.  As for the White House, the biggest issue will be the role of Trump.  I'd expect him to form a TV network promoting his worldview and platform.  It will hang over everything and the question there is who carries that flag into the GOP primaries.  Could be Trump himself, Don Jr., and we'll see other seek to align themselves with Trump.  Cotton, Pompeo, DeSantis and Haley come to mind.  The Republican establishment will try to return with Rubio, DeWine, Rick Scott, Christie, Cruz, etc.  Pence won't be that Trump candidate but he'll try to play the bridge between Trump and the GOP.  But this loss will mean that the path to the GOP nomination will go through Trump.  They simply can't ignore his ability to get the vote out for conservative candidates.  My guess from November 2020 - it'll be a Nikki Haley - Trump Jr. ticket.

Democrats - the first priority for the Democrats will be the Senate in Georgia.  As for the White House, the biggest issue will be convincing Biden to be a one-term President by his choice.  I think that would be wise.  If the next four years go well (COVID recovery, economic strength, riots resolved, etc.) that will be a challenge.  If it goes well and Biden is a one-term executive, Harris has the banner to carry.  That's why she agreed to serve.  If there are issues in the performance of the Biden administration, she'd still run but would have challengers.  Cuomo comes quickly to mind.  Newsome and Beshear as well perhaps.  But many will be serving in the Biden administration.  I think Biden is a one-term president by choice, and two members of his administration will lead the ticket.  My guess from November 2020 - it'll be a Harris - Julian Castro ticket.

P.S. 2028 or 2032 - Dan Crenshaw runs against Alexandia Ocasio-Cortez. You can see the deep benchers who are coming up in the two parties. Both need to take a first step into the Senate.
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 10:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Who's that guy with the eye patch from Texas? He's an epic liar that's my pick.

Pair him with Nikki Haley and you've got their dream team.

Yeah, I watched Crenshaw both times he was on Real Time. He spits out falsehoods so fast in the interviews you could see Maher's head spin. I do think this is still Trumps party though, and I think he'll be calling the shots from the side lines. The republican base loves the guy and imo he'll remain a liability for the party.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-06, 10:23

Will we have elections in 2024? Asking for a friend.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-06, 10:25

I predict a Robert Ritchie/Tomi Lahren ticket in 24.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-06, 10:28

versus Beyonce/Taylor Swift?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-06, 10:49

InTenSity wrote:2022 is the next important election. Democrats need to take over the Senate. Allowing states with populations smaller than a medium sized city in a larger state have more power than those states, is ridiculous.
Actually, I want to actively work to get Rubio voted out of office here in FL.

2022 is very important, but might not be good for Dems. The first midterm after a new President is installed often goes more against him, because the opposing party can run on what they've done wrong, how they can check them, etc. But 2022 will be a different kind of midterm in the (hopefully) post-Trump world. That could swing things either way, depending on the "revenge for Trump" vs "keep eradicating Trumpism" enthusiasm.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-11-06, 11:11

GOP will move to ban mail in ballots using 2020 as example 1 A as the reason.

Cotton, Sasse, Haley and others are all going to be waiting for Trump to have a debilitating stroke or pass this veil of tears.

If Biden prevails at the ballot box and survives the court challenges to be POTUS in January, Donald J Trump will be eyeing running in 2024. He’ll only be 78.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-06, 11:33

If there are no primary challenges to Biden term 2 or Harris term 1, I may never vote for a Democrat again. I did what I had to do this time around, but that doesn't mean that should be the direction of the party for the next decade.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-06, 11:41

An even more senile Trump in 2024
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 11:49

Cameron wrote:If there are no primary challenges to Biden term 2 or Harris term 1, I may never vote for a Democrat again. I did what I had to do this time around, but that doesn't mean that should be the direction of the party for the next decade.

There's always the Green Party.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 11:51

Honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is a set and forget presidency. Back in the 90's during Bush or Clinton I really didn't pay attention or give a fuck. Same during Obama. W I was very disappointed in the Iraq war and the recession towards the end was pretty friggin unnerving. If I'm able to just focus on beer and sports I'm content. Go Green!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-06, 11:52

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:An even more senile Trump in 2024

Donald Trump, Jr.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-06, 11:53

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:If there are no primary challenges to Biden term 2 or Harris term 1, I may never vote for a Democrat again. I did what I had to do this time around, but that doesn't mean that should be the direction of the party for the next decade.

There's always the option for you to go fuck yourself, too.

steveschneider wrote:Honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is a set and forget presidency. Back in the 90's during Bush or Clinton I really didn't pay attention or give a fuck. Same during Obama. W I was very disappointed in the Iraq war and the recession towards the end was pretty friggin unnerving. If I'm able to just focus on beer and sports I'm content. Go Green!

Your privilege is showing, steve.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-11-06, 11:54

That's actually the norm. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan....no primary challengers. Heck, even Nixon had a clear path to renomination in 1972. The best example of it happening was Ted Kennedy challenging Carter in 1980. That badly wounded Carter, a third-party candidate emerged in John Anderson and Carter was trounced by Reagan. It was classic Democratic Party dysfunction and it's quite rare, especially in modern politics. If Biden runs for a second term, I wouldn't expect a challenge.

Now if he doesn't run again by choice, that's equally rare. Hayes in 1881 would be the last example. I'd think there would be challengers to Harris if that happens, more if the Biden administration struggles or Harris hasn't solidified national standing.
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-06, 11:58

Heathens '87 wrote:

That's actually the norm.  Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan....no primary challengers.  Heck, even Nixon had a clear path to renomination in 1972.  The best example of it happening was Ted Kennedy challenging Carter in 1980.  That badly wounded Carter, a third-party candidate emerged in John Anderson and Carter was trounced by Reagan.  It was classic Democratic Party dysfunction and it's quite rare, especially in modern politics.  If Biden runs for a second term, I wouldn't expect a challenge.

Now if he doesn't run again by choice, that's equally rare.  Hayes in 1881 would be the last example.  I'd think there would be challengers to Harris if that happens, more if the Biden administration struggles or Harris hasn't solidified national standing.  
I appreciate the historical perspective, but I also don't much care. Biden will be fucking 82, and Kamala certainly hasn't earned the right to run unopposed (someone remind me again how many delegates she picked up in the primaries this time around), so if they don't have a robust field of candidates to choose from, they will be doing so at their own peril.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 11:59

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

steveschneider wrote:Honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is a set and forget presidency. Back in the 90's during Bush or Clinton I really didn't pay attention or give a fuck. Same during Obama. W I was very disappointed in the Iraq war and the recession towards the end was pretty friggin unnerving. If I'm able to just focus on beer and sports I'm content. Go Green!

Or you can always write in Abbie Hoffman or Che Guevera.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-11-06, 12:00

How long before we’re back in the Paris Climate Agreement?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-06, 12:00

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I'd be more likely to write in "steve's mother is a whore who charges far too much for an unenthusiastic blow job "
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 12:12

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I'd be more likely to write in "steve's mother is a whore who charges far too much for an unenthusiastic blow job "

If you are going for that blustery east coaster approach I'll need to hear it in audio.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-11-06, 12:12

Cameron wrote:I appreciate the historical perspective, but I also don't much care. Biden will be fucking 82, and Kamala certainly hasn't earned the right to run unopposed (someone remind me again how many delegates she picked up in the primaries this time around), so if they don't have a robust field of candidates to choose from, they will be doing so at their own peril.

History tends to provide a needed guide to what will happen. Where I'd agree is whether Biden will run again in 2024 as President-Elect Biden will already be the oldest person to ever hold the office. He's older now than President Reagan was when he left office. I don't think he'll run for re-election and I think Harris would find challengers, more if the administration struggles. History again - 1880, Hayes elects not to seek a second term, and the Republican Party had a slate of candidates, a lengthy and divided convention and went to 36 ballots to nominate Garfield. Harris isn't in position to simply have a coronation unless that Biden administration just thrives and Biden chooses to not run fairly late in the cycle......
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-11-06, 12:22

he's a fragile, whiny guy.. perfect for the GOP.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-11-06, 12:24

With the one red vs blue map of the US the knuckledraggers like to promote.. the one where it gives the illusion that land can vote?

I suspect they'll try to pass a Constitutional amendment so that land can vote.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-11-06, 12:33; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-11-06, 12:29

Fucking Cam.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-06, 12:32

What?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-11-06, 12:42

lol!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-06, 13:00

Motown Spartan wrote:How long before we’re back in the Paris Climate Agreement?

January 21, 2021. Or as soon after as realistically possible. Biden promised on Tuesday or Wednesday (the day our departure from it took effect), that day 1 he would rejoin. But I'm not sure if it can happen with the snap of a finger, or if he needs Senate approval like most treaties (since we would be rejoining instead of starting a new one)?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 13:05

I guess as far as what I'd like seen done, getting this country on track to defeat this pandemic so we can have more sports/fans in the stands and all that shit. Also, the environment and getting on clean energy. Also, I don't have the answers but dealing with poverty, wealth disparity and absurd costs of education have to be resolved. I have no f'n clue how someone can live these days on 7.50/hr. UBI? Raise min wage? Stimulate better job growth? I don't know but something has to be done.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-06, 13:10

steveschneider wrote:

With the progressive movement on the left, Trumpism on the right, and more high profile Rs that endorsed Biden than ever before, there may be an opportunity for a real third party in the middle.

However, with the changing demographics in the country, and what "experts" say is the country shifting more left overall, we could see something where the Republican party moves more moderate (Kasich-esque), Bidenism becomes the new Center, and Bernieism becomes the standard for the Dem party.

Neither of these scenarios would have significant traction in 2022 or 2024, but may be gradual over the next 20 years.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-06, 13:14

My priorities for Biden:

Day 1: Reverse most Executive Orders that Trump has signed, as well as many from Obama, Bush, and Clinton if they're still in effect (depending on what they are and what the general feeling in Congress and the Country is about them).

Day 2: Begin working with Congress to pass an amendment severely restricting a President's power with EOs.

Sadly, this may not be realistic, but something needs to be done about EOs. Just because Trump will be gone for 4 years, doesn't mean that he, or some other wannabe dictator won't win down the road.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-11-06, 13:20

Neuter the Senate. Call it something like the Make Impossible To Cheat House.
If a bill is sent to the Senate, the Senate has 180 days to act on it. If it sits on the Senate Leaders desk for 181 days, it reverts back to the House, who can then pass the law and bypass the Senate and send it to the President.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-11-06, 13:29

ABP for speaker of the house.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-06, 13:31

InTenSity wrote:Neuter the Senate. Call it something like the Make Impossible To Cheat House.
If a bill is sent to the Senate, the Senate has 180 days to act on it. If it sits on the Senate Leaders desk for 181 days, it reverts back to the House, who can then pass the law and bypass the Senate and send it to the President.

One thing for sure needs to happen. We need to codify something that the Senate cannot sit on SCOTUS nominations when the opposing party holds the White House. And it the majority can't ram through nominations in the waning days of an executive branch term. The hypocrisy on display in October makes was appalling.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 13:33

Heal and unite this mother fucker so we can all focus on sports and eating food again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-06, 13:35

Also, seriously?

No more shit like this.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/he-rolled-over-with-excitement-kentucky-town-elects-dog-as-mayor
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-06, 13:41

steveschneider wrote:Also, seriously?

No more shit like this.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/he-rolled-over-with-excitement-kentucky-town-elects-dog-as-mayor

KY still screwing the pooch as ever.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next