Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recipes

+11
DWags
SawGreen
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
15 posters

Go down

Recipes Empty Recipes

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-18, 10:41

I know we have the food thread, but I thought a separate one for posting recipes would be good to have.

Thanksgiving is a much much smaller group this year. And I was asked to make a mac n cheese dish. There are tons out there. I made a homemade one a few years ago that sounded amazing, and it was just blah and had no taste. Any of you have a recipe that you know is amazing?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Recipes Empty Re: Recipes

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-18, 11:07

I’m interested in homemade mac & cheese recipes. I want to try making lobster mac & cheese but don’t have any spectacular m&c recipes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-11-18, 11:10

My wife made a cinnamon pie last thanksgiving and I got one tiny bite before her family inhaled it. It’s pretty amazing. I’ll find her recipe. She’s from Idaho but both sides of her family are from Minnesota so the “hot dish” game is strong in her family. Comfort food. I’ll get some of those too. This is actually a good excuse to see what the rest of the fam is doing next week. And judging them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-18, 11:10

I've never tried it because I'm not a mac n cheese guy but it's hard to go wrong with serious eats and Kenji.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-11-18, 11:14

I made this one a couple of weeks ago. I liked it and I usually don't like mac and cheese. The only thing I might do to is add some crumbled bacon.

Ingredients

16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked (or other tubular pasta)
   1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
   6 tbsp unsalted butter
   1/3 cup all purpose flour
   3 cups whole milk
   1 cup heavy whipping cream
   4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
   2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
   salt and pepper to taste
   1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
   4 tbsp butter melted
   1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
   1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside.Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
   Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
   Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
   Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stock pot.
   Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
   Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
   Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
   Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
   Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
   In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

credit where credit is due
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Dendrobates and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-18, 12:43

Requesting a vinaigrette. Tried making my own and haven't made on I'm happy with yet.

For Mac and Cheese I do one similar to these where the pasta absorbs the cheese sauce. Pretty easy to make and delicious.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015825-creamy-macaroni-and-cheese
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-18, 13:35

Recipes Vxw2bp10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-11-18, 14:02

Here’s that pie recipe.

Don’t pay attention to the ratings. The massive amount of cream and cream cheese are what makes it the best.

https://12tomatoes.com/cinnamon-pie/

Edit. My wife said I was wrong. This recipe looks almost the same but she says it’s actually the one. Excuse me for living.

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/cinnamon-pie/

Last edited by Rocinante on 2020-11-18, 14:18; edited 2 times in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-18, 14:04

It is possible to find a 3lb turkey?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-18, 14:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:It is possible to find a 3lb turkey?

You take all that leftover turkey, make a few turkey pot pies, freeze them, and save them for easy meals throughout the winter. cheers
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-18, 14:28

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

You take all that leftover turkey, make a few turkey pot pies, freeze them, and save them for easy meals throughout the winter. cheers

That's great in theory.

It also reminds me how much I miss my mom, because she would that and send them home with me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-18, 14:30

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Recipe?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-18, 14:33

If you prefer white meat, yes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Rocinante likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-18, 14:41

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Recipe?

Fuck dude, I don't know. My wife does all the prep work on these. Look up a chicken pot pie recipe and replace the chicken with turkey.

OK, I'll try to wing it here:

Make a fuckton of roux. Chop up all the carrots & celery you can find, add some peas & corn (or just make it easy and toss in some bags of frozen mixed veggies). Shred the leftover turkey. Simmer all that shit together. Add pepper & salt to taste. Prep some pie tins with pie crusts. Dump in the fillings. Freeze.

For cooking. Let thaw for a day then bake at 400 for 1 hour.*

* All of this is totally a guess, especially the baking part. The rest is pretty close to legit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-18, 14:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

If you prefer white meat, yes.

I like both.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-18, 16:02

Stopped by Antonio's on the way home. You can order Peacocks fresh Amish turkeys there. Smallest whole turkeys are 8# @$3.09#. Smallest breasts are 4-6# @$3.29.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-18, 16:16

Dendrobates wrote:I know we have the food thread, but I thought a separate one for posting recipes would be good to have.

Thanksgiving is a much much smaller group this year. And I was asked to make a mac n cheese dish. There are tons out there. I made a homemade one a few years ago that sounded amazing, and it was just blah and had no taste. Any of you have a recipe that you know is amazing?
My mom use to make it with the Mueller's box recipe and it was one of my favorites.

Old Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Usually substituted butter for the margarine and Colby for the cheddar. Topped it with bread crumbs before putting in the oven.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-18, 17:04

Thanks guys. I think I will try one Jake posted.

This is my dad's famous dinner roll recipe. This is one of my favorite sides of all time. In this recipe though, he would  use honey instead of sugar.
How we roll them out is making 2-3 balls of dough and putting them in a muffin tin. It is a tradition for every holiday and a nice big dinner having these rolls. Must be eaten warm to really appreciate them.
My brother (the one who had covid) took it over when my dad died. I must say, I have never made them (only help rolling the dough). I will make it one of these days.

Recipes 20201111
Recipes 20201110
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-11-18, 18:32

Dendrobates wrote:Thanks guys. I think I will try one Jake posted.

This is my dad's famous dinner roll recipe. This is one of my favorite sides of all time. In this recipe though, he would  use honey instead of sugar.
How we roll them out is making 2-3 balls of dough and putting them in a muffin tin. It is a tradition for every holiday and a nice big dinner having these rolls. Must be eaten warm to really appreciate them.
My brother (the one who had covid) took it over when my dad died. I must say, I have never made them (only help rolling the dough). I will make it one of these days.

Recipes 20201111
Recipes 20201110

We usually buy a bag of frozen yeast rolls that you let rise and then bake. I wanted to try and make them homemade this year. I'll give your recipe a try. Thanks :)
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-27, 09:14

Jake, the mac and cheese was pretty good! The panko topping really set it apart.
I feel like it needs some other cheese flavor, but im not sure what.

Did you do the dinner rolls?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-11-27, 09:21

Dendrobates wrote:Jake, the mac and cheese was pretty good! The panko topping really set it apart.

Thanks Dendro. :) No, didn't get time. I cooked two turkey breasts, two different lasagnas and made cornbread stuffing, some celery, olive and cream cheese hors d'oeuvres and just ran out of time. I'm saving the recipe so the rolls will get made.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-27, 09:47

Apple pie today! I will not be leaving this in a pickup for any Swillers (shout out to Guest).
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-27, 10:36

Made this yesterday, but used orzo instead ditalini because fuck Kroger for not having any. Turnout out pretty good.

Slow Cooker Sausage, Bean and Pasta Stew

Recipes 20201111

Recipes 20201112
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-11-27, 11:18

Dendrobates wrote:Jake, the mac and cheese was pretty good! The panko topping really set it apart.

In my opinion the thing that makes homemade Mac and cheese pop is it always needs more salt than you think.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-11-27, 16:09

tGreenWay wrote:I’m interested in homemade mac & cheese recipes. I want to try making lobster mac & cheese but don’t have any spectacular m&c recipes.

I smoked a pork tenderloin the other day and had the idea of mac-n-cheese and pork (chunk) sandwiches on hamburger or sub buns. We just used an out of the box white mac-n-cheese with barbecue sauce on top and it was very good.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-11-27, 18:41

Best soup eva.

Ingredients
5 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced (I use more)
3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
1-cup water
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash crushed red pepper flakes ( more if you like a kick)
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
Preparation
Step 1
Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and WhiteBoyHatcher like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-27, 21:58

That sounds good Wags
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-27, 22:56

Here is Grandma's apple pie recipe. It's outstanding.

10-12 medium sized apples. 1 cup sugar. 1/2 cup brown sugar. 2 tbsp cinnamon. 1 tbsp almond extract. 1 tbsp flour.

Peel apples and slice and quarter. Get something called the Johnny Apple peeler and this takes about 5 minutes. Add to large mixing bowl. Add above ingredients. Mix with wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes until everything is combined, apples are coated and a liquid starts forming at the bottom of the bowl. Taste apples, add more of whatever to suit your tastes if you want, and set aside.

3 cups of flour, 3 sticks of refrigerated butter, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 6 oz or so of ice water.

Mix flour sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. Cube butter into 1tbsp or so segments. Add butter to bowl. Use a hand dough blender to combine butter into flour mix for 5ish minutes. You want the mixture to be coarse and when you're done you should be able to pinch it together and have it barely stick together for a moment in between your fingers. If it doesn't, add another few cubes of butter.

At this point, gradually add ice water while mixing with spoon. After you've added about a half cup, use your hands to try to form a rough dough ball. If you can form the ball, great. If not, add more ice water slowly until you can form a rough ball. Knead the ball just a little. If sticky, sprinkle more flour in until you have a semi rough ball that is not sticky to the touch. Separate into 2 equal sized balls.

Use wax paper or a silpat and lay one dough ball out. Stretch into a 6-8" thick pizza looking dough. Use a rolling pin to further stretch and roll out dough until it is very thin, less than 1/8", probably more like 1/16th. It should be roundish in shape, and maybe 16" in circumference.

Flip wax paper/silpat over onto pie pan. Dough should not stick and hopefully your dough is big enough to cover not only the bottom of the pie pan but also the sides and fold over. Use a sharp knife to cut the excess dough evenly around the circumference of the lip of the pie pan. Repair any cracks or holes in pie crust with excess dough.

Spoon apple mixture into pie crust with slotted spoon. It can be tall, it will bake down.

Repeat dough rolling process with 2nd dough ball. You can either plop the entire 2nd "pizza" on top of the pie, or use a pizza cutter to cut into 1 inch strips to weave lattice.

When done cut excess dough below pan lip around circumference of pie pan and press edges where dough comes together and score crust into pie pan lip all the way around with the back of a fork. If you put the entire dough on top make sure to vent with a knife - I like to make 6-8 long even cuts from pie perimeter towards the center of the pie.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 45-60 min until pie begins to brown. Reduce heat to 300. Bake for another 2 hours. Let cool and enjoy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-11-28, 09:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Here is Grandma's apple pie recipe. It's outstanding.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 45-60 min until pie begins to brown. Reduce heat to 300. Bake for another 2 hours. Let cool and enjoy.

Two hours at 300? Is that right?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-28, 10:11

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Yep! You really can't over bake it. Just watch the color.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-28, 11:34

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Yeah, that seems excessive and I'd think would dry it out.   For comparison, just the first part of the bake is enough to make pasties, cooking potatoes, rutabaga, and meat all the way through. An egg wash browns them up in that same time.

I use a pastry blender to cut cold lard into the flour to make pasty dough.
Recipes Pastry10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-29, 01:09

Pie was perfect. Here is something to consider next time you're cooking a turkey or turkey breast. Fuck the USDA or whoever. Pull your turkey when the breast is 151. As long as you rest it for ~ 5 minutes you're in the safe zone. No more dry turkey.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-30, 09:24

This is the apple crisp recipe I’ve been using. It is addictive. The lemon and orange zest/juice are really what sets this apart. I also use a variety of apples (Granny Smith, red delicious, gala, etc)

5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
Directions

WATCH

Watch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-30, 12:27

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-11-30, 13:04

Was there food in that video Pantry?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-11-30, 14:06

InTenSity wrote:Was there food in that video Pantry?

Did some digging...

That youtube channel is nakedbakers.

Naked bakers post content on Patreon.

Some of the Patreon footage is available on PornHub.

Enjoy!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-30, 15:53

Motown Spartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Was there food in that video Pantry?

Did some digging...

Enjoy!

Sounds tasty.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2020-11-30, 18:56

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Did some digging...

Enjoy!

Sounds tasty.

Recipes Tumblr_n5c5ydzKIk1rtja03o4_250
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-30, 19:08

Recipes Resemb10
The Pantry