Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garage Door Openers

+9
Izzo Court
ancientspartan
Snake Plissken
CORNER BLITZ
WhiteBoyHatcher
SeeRockCity
The Pantry
Herbie Green
InTenSity
13 posters

Go down

Garage Door Openers Empty Garage Door Openers

Post by InTenSity Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Mine has apparently died. A few months ago the springs broke and I supposedly killed the gear. Tonight it appears to have gone. 3/4 HP is what is currently installed, no idea if I need to keep it. I was told they aren't that hard to install, and the one in there is a craftsman. Does it matter what type I use? Should I stick with the craftsman, or go with another brand? Lets assume I have no common sense on installing and I'm hoping to keep the whole installation and buying portion under $400.

Is the Chamberlain ok?

Not sure you really care enough to click on this link!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Garage Door Openers Empty Re: Garage Door Openers

Post by Herbie Green Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:49 pm

You sure it is done?

I have had mine fixed a couple times and it doesn't seem like something I would want to mess with
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Herbie Green wrote:You sure it is done?

I have had mine fixed a couple times and it doesn't seem like something I would want to mess with

I was told that the great I'd about $200 to fix. A new opener is $220. I have no idea what it would cost to install. Maybe another $150.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:00 am

Installed a couple old Stanley chain drives. They suck. Way too loud.

Been very happy with Genie screw drives
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:32 am

InTenSity wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:You sure it is done?

I was told that the great I'd about $200 to fix. A new opener is $220. I have no idea what it would cost to install. Maybe another $150.

Piece of cake to install provided you get one that is similar to what you already have. You shouldn't have to replace the rails etc., just the motor and drive system (and the annoying safety sensors).

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:49 am

Uhhh....no offense to SRC but I would strongly recommend you get it professionally installed, especially considering the age of your kids. If you're worried about a deal, try and call and get labor rates and then call them back and negotiate something based on your Amazon price + their labor rates. I would not go cheapo on this. Those springs can be dangerous as fuck, and you don't want them failing when your 3 year old daughter is getting her barbie car out of the garage.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:04 am

SeeRockCity wrote:(and the annoying safety sensors).

just have the two sensors pointing at each other in the rafters next to the opener
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:44 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Uhhh....no offense to SRC but I would strongly recommend you get it professionally installed, especially considering the age of your kids. If you're worried about a deal, try and call and get labor rates and then call them back and negotiate something based on your Amazon price + their labor rates. I would not go cheapo on this. Those springs can be dangerous as fuck, and you don't want them failing when your 3 year old daughter is getting her barbie car out of the garage.
I have to agree. I've installed more than a few garage door openers but if the spring needs replacing get the whole thing done professionally. The spring is not part of the garage door opener BTW assuming you're talking about the coil spring.

Garage Door Openers Broken_torsion_spring
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:27 am

Installation ranges from $97 to $127 at Home Depot. Lowes is probably around the same

http://www.homedepot.com/c/SV_HS_Garage_Doors_Openers_Installation
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Garage Door Openers Empty Chamberlain belt drive at Home Depot

Post by ancientspartan Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:09 am

...my Genie screw drive died so I got a Chamberlain belt drive (quieter by a ton) at Home Depot....when I looked at the installed price, I couldn't believe it....so had it installed....wasn't worth my time to do it.  The MyQ or whatever thing is great....wifi connected to the opener lets you know if the door was left opened via an email alert and you can open/close it using an app.
ancientspartan
ancientspartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:09 am

The springs were just replaced in August. They aren't the problem. It's just the motor and drive. It's more annoying than anything. Oh well,I knew this was coming after the spring went. Used the door a couple of times trying to figure out Wtf was wrong with it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:22 am

If the tension springs on the garage door need to be worked on that's a job for a professional unless you want to risk losing some fingers.

Installing a garage door opener is easy especially if you are replacing one since all the hardware and outlets are ready to go. I would guess that it should take anyone about 3 hours from opening the box to doing the fine adjustments on the opener to install one.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:32 am

Tension springs were replaced 3 months ago.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tMolson Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:23 am

If the springs were just replaced and you know how to work a screwdriver, putting in a replacement is easy if your inclined to do it yourself.
tMolson
tMolson
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 am

Izzo Court wrote:If the tension springs on the garage door need to be worked on that's a job for a professional unless you want to risk losing some fingers.

Installing a garage door opener is easy especially if you are replacing one since all the hardware and outlets are ready to go.  I would guess that it should take anyone about 3 hours from opening the box to doing the fine adjustments on the opener to install one.

This. I've replaced (2) at two different homes. Very easy especially replacing. Replacing with same make and model even easier if available.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:22 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Uhhh....no offense to SRC but I would strongly recommend you get it professionally installed, especially considering the age of your kids. If you're worried about a deal, try and call and get labor rates and then call them back and negotiate something based on your Amazon price + their labor rates. I would not go cheapo on this. Those springs can be dangerous as fuck, and you don't want them failing when your 3 year old daughter is getting her barbie car out of the garage.

Was assuming just the motor.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:43 pm

InTenSity wrote:Tension springs were replaced 3 months ago.
Tension springs or torsion springs?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:11 pm

i've installed all 3 kinds; screw, belt and chain. the last one i installed was a screw drive that opened twice as fast and closed at the normal speed. it only cost like $50 more, but it was a nice convenience not having to wait for the door to open.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:26 pm

The Pantry wrote:Tension springs or torsion springs?

Whatever the springs on top of the door are that will take off body parts.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 pm

InTenSity wrote:

Whatever the springs on top of the door are that will take off body parts.
Torsion.  They have to be very carefully wound or bad shit can happen in a blink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Don't do it yourself. When I was a kid I helped my dad attempt to replace the big spring and something went wrong. It sent a wrench flying at roughly 500 mph. The wrench hit the concrete floor of the garage and it left a huge divot. If it had hit a person, it would have destroyed whatever body part it hit.

But since this was the 70's, my dad just said "Don't tell your mother", and told me to go get the wrench so we could finish the job.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:00 am

Rodeo Burger wrote:Don't do it yourself. When I was a kid I helped my dad attempt to replace the big spring and something went wrong. It sent a wrench flying at roughly 500 mph. The wrench hit the concrete floor of the garage and it left a huge divot. If it had hit a person, it would have destroyed whatever body part it hit.

But since this was the 70's, my dad just said "Don't tell your mother", and told me to go get the wrench so we could finish the job.

I had a garage door spring break on me once. I was still in high school. Came home with the parents car, pressed the garage door button, hear a ...(((((ping))))) and felt something nick me below my left eye. Looked around and found the sprint laying on the floor on the other side of the garage. Being a teenager at the time, I shrugged it off as meh, spring almost hit me in the eye but it didn't so, whatever....

lol

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down