Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread!

+4
Death Roe
SawGreen
Keith Stone
LoneWolfSparty
8 posters

Go down

tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread! Empty tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread!

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-22, 08:56

Every board needs one of these!

Note: Android = choices, Apple = do it Apple's way or else

Kind of sounds like tSwill VS tRCMB!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread! Empty Re: tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread!

Post by Keith Stone 2014-04-22, 09:04

My battery life on my Note 3 has sucked lately. Just bought a couple new batteries from Samsung, hopefully it helps otherwise I'm going back to Apple once they release a 6 inch phone with a stylish smart watch.
Keith Stone
Keith Stone
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread! Empty Re: tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread!

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-22, 09:08

Keith Stone wrote:My battery life on my Note 3 has sucked lately. Just bought a couple new batteries from Samsung, hopefully it helps otherwise I'm going back to Apple once they release a 6 inch phone with a stylish smart watch.

Hit up droidforums.com and go to the Note 3 board. I am sure there are threads there that deal with tweaks you can make, or apps that might be problematic that are causing your battery issues.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-05-02, 13:00

This looks pretty cool.

http://get.pressybutton.com/?view=landing&offer_id=344&aff_id=1074
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-28, 22:40

The new Android L keyboard is awesome!!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 22:44

How did you get it? Or did you flash Android L onto your phone?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-28, 22:55

I'm in.

I bought a version of the pressy that was like 66 cents but works identically. I bought one for my wife, too. Hasn't arrived yet. I'll post reviews and a link if it works out.

Battery life - mine is absurd on my new Galaxy S5. I think I could go 5 days on a single charge. Still ordered backup batteries and an extended battery with a modified back cover because I'm anal like that.

I flashed a ROM I found on XDA and some custom themes. Thing is working slick but still monitoring XDA for new ROMs and themes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 22:57

WhiteBoy,

What carrier do you have the S5 on? How easy is the rooting?

I've rooted in the past, but I'm mortified to do it again. I ruined my GS3 doing it, luckily I erased my tracks and Verizon gave me a new one.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-28, 23:02

Death Roe wrote:How did you get it? Or did you flash Android L onto your phone?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.shenye.android.inputmethod.latin
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 23:05

Thanks man.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-28, 23:07

Death Roe wrote:WhiteBoy,

What carrier do you have the S5 on? How easy is the rooting?

I've rooted in the past, but I'm mortified to do it again. I ruined my GS3 doing it, luckily I erased my tracks and Verizon gave me a new one.

I'm on Sprint. I don't know how hard/easy it is on Verizon but it was a piece of cake for me. You just have to make sure you find the right thread. I fucked up and bricked a phone when I was learning, too. For example, the Sprint GS5 is a "SM-G900P". I tried to flash a ROM for like a European version of the phone I had at the time and it bricked it. I got a new one through Asurion claiming I lost it, but I digress....

There are guys that make YouTube vids taking you through the steps. Step 1 is root. Then download root checker from Play store to make sure you're rooted. Then do whatever you want. Look for a ROM that includes mods that you like, install mods that you like standalone, etc.

Here is an example of a vid one could follow to root the S5. Guy says you can't do this yet with Verizon, but it was made 6 weeks ago. They probably have come up with something since then.

Feel free to ask questions, I'm sure LWS will help out and I will, as well, if I can answer it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJL3M28fMY
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-28, 23:08

Does that new keyboard support sliding/swiping? I'm not thrilled with the keyboard that came with the S5 (same as on the ROM I'm using). But swype was way too inconsistent on my S3. But I do like swiping as opposed to pecking.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 23:10

I rooted my GS3 with Cyanogen Mod nightlies. One of the nightlies didn't work for some reason, so I tried flashing to a more stable build. Somehow the files didn't cooperate with each other during the flashing and such.

The phone would work, but it was basically a paperweight. It would stay in global roaming mode and it would think it was on a foreign network. Verizon and Samsung talked me through steps at a Verizon store and still no luck. They said it was unlike anything they've ever seen.... tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread! 3003718628 

One day later, and a drive to the FedEx store, I got a brand new one waiting for me, haha. Man that sucked.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-28, 23:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does that new keyboard support sliding/swiping? I'm not thrilled with the keyboard that came with the S5 (same as on the ROM I'm using). But swype was way too inconsistent on my S3. But I do like swiping as opposed to pecking.

Yes. Best swiping keyboard I've used too.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 23:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does that new keyboard support sliding/swiping? I'm not thrilled with the keyboard that came with the S5 (same as on the ROM I'm using). But swype was way too inconsistent on my S3. But I do like swiping as opposed to pecking.

Yes it swipes. I like it so far.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-28, 23:26

Death Roe wrote:I rooted my GS3 with Cyanogen Mod nightlies. One of the nightlies didn't work for some reason, so I tried flashing to a more stable build. Somehow the files didn't cooperate with each other during the flashing and such.

The phone would work, but it was basically a paperweight. It would stay in global roaming mode and it would think it was on a foreign network. Verizon and Samsung talked me through steps at a Verizon store and still no luck. They said it was unlike anything they've ever seen.... tOfficial Android Rules, Apple Sucks thread! 3003718628 

One day later, and a drive to the FedEx store, I got a brand new one waiting for me, haha. Man that sucked.

Gotcha.

First let me say that I'm by no means an expert on this, but messing around a few times I've found my way through it. Maybe we'll find someone on here who really knows his shit. But based off of what you posted above, sounds like you may not be understanding the difference between rooting and flashing a ROM. Rooting basically just means unlocking your phone, and giving you superuser access so that you can install custom apps, ROMs, modifications, etc. You can just root your phone and do nothing else with it and it will look and operate exactly the same as it did before.

Your ROM is your operating system. For Sprint, that means it's the latest version of Android (4.4.2 in my case) with Samsung's "Touch Wiz" interface on top of it. Often times the manufacturer makes little tweaks to the UI that they deem "improvements" and impart some of their branding into it. Not to mention the apps that they install. Some phones come with Pure Android and no manufacturer mods on top of it. (Nexus 5, for example)

But anyway, once you have rooted, you can say **** You to the Touch Wiz interface and pure Android if you want, and install a new operating system/ROM. Cyanogen Mod is a completely custom ROM with its own look and feel, etc. Some of the ROMs are more basic, closer to pure Android with some performance mods, etc. They don't all look and feel completely different than stock Android. On my device, you probably wouldn't even know it was a custom ROM outside of the boot sequence.

Lastly, always keep in mind that if something is going a little strange on your phone, you can go back to your stock ROM. You can back up your phone and restore using one of the Recovery programs you install during the root process, or you can download the stock version of the ROM from XDA and flash it the same way you installed the custom ROM.

Hope that all makes sense. And if I said anything wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-06-28, 23:27

No, I do understand the difference. I know how to root a phone, but am just gunshy to do it ever since that incident.

I know the steps, but I wish all phones were uniform haha.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-28, 23:38

It sounds like rooting isn't what fucked you up - it was flashing the ROM. Let us know what phone and carrier you're working on if you want to do it again and we can probably help.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty 2014-06-30, 12:13

My GS3 has been sucking balls lately so I've been looking into rooting and flashing a rom. From what I understand if you are running Android 4.3 you can't install AOSP roms like Cyanogenmod.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/842231-help-rooting-getting-cyanogenmod-4-3-a.html
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-06-30, 12:52

ROtown Sparty wrote:My GS3 has been sucking balls lately so I've been looking into rooting and flashing a rom.  From what I understand if you are running Android 4.3 you can't install AOSP roms like Cyanogenmod.  

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/842231-help-rooting-getting-cyanogenmod-4-3-a.html

Weird. I was just thinking the other day that my 2 year old GS3 still works like brand new.
I don't think I've ever had a phone that after two years I felt worked just as good as it did the day I got it. I just got the Verizon approved 4.4.2 update the other day.

My contract is up next month. I probably won't buy a phone for a while though.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty 2014-06-30, 13:29

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Weird. I was just thinking the other day that my 2 year old GS3 still works like brand new.
I don't think I've ever had a phone that after two years I felt worked just as good as it did the day I got it. I just got the Verizon approved 4.4.2 update the other day.

My contract is up next month. I probably won't buy a phone for a while though.

Yeah it's been running extra slow lately, my navigation locked the phone up like 3 times on my way to golf yesterday but I've been pretty happy with it up until now.

I've spent a lot of time playing around with different launchers and customization types of things. I think it's about time I wipe everything out and do a factory reset, then just install the basics. If it's still slow after that I'll try to install a custom rom.
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-08-09, 20:49

Yet another Ipod POS from crapple. I have a fvcking stack of Ipods of various flavors that my fvcking family insists on buying. 5 Nanos, a shuffle, and 2 Ipods. Out of all that, the only one I haven't had to fix or replace is my youngest son's Ipod. tWife just doesn't listen to me and 3 months ago bought another Crapple Ipod. 3 months in, and today she tells me that Sync on the Edge isn't working and won't select the USB. I say, are you sure it's Sync and not that Crapple IPOS? I go out to her car and sure enough, Sync has stopped responding and is totally hosed, I can't even do a master reset. So I pull the fuse for Sync to reset it. Sync is working again. Hook up that POS Ipod, and tell Sync to go to USB, and it fails and looks to be locked up again. I rip the fvcking Crapple USB cable out, and Sync responds. I grab my USB stick out of my car and plug it in to tWife's Edge and tell Sync to go to USB - it works perfectly, no problems. I look at tWife and say, yet another POS Ipod, that makes 8 out of 9 failed crapple Ipods.

**** Apple.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down