Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of Times in post truth society.

+2
kingstonlake
DWags
6 posters

Go down

End of Times in post truth society.  Empty End of Times in post truth society.

Post by DWags 2021-05-19, 09:52

Weird, but we're at a restaurant last Saturday night in Valparaiso with a large group of people sitting around talking. My 20 year old brings up the amount of lying that is tolerated by the general public and corruption that goes unpunished in today's society. How the middle east is exploding and there is no end in sight. She says "I really don't think I want to have kids". Thing is, she was dead on serious. That night in the hotel room, the wife says to me that when she said that for the first time in her life, she kind of agrees with her. (Yeah, it was a fun night with extended family but there were some depressing parts of it). I'm thinking maybe I do too.

We absolutely live in a post truth society. It doesn't punish the liars, or criminals. Gaetz will get re-elected. The congressman from Georgia who said it was a regular tourist day January 6th will be re-elected, the North Carolina DA gets to cherry pick body camera footage and claim his police did all the right things, that nut Green is bringing in more money donations than any congressman. This is absolutely insane.

I'm telling you, Nixon would not resign in today's political world. He'd double down on saying the dark state was setting him up and he'd become more popular with those that elected him.

It's bad. America isn't a stupid country, it's pretty damn evil.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

End of Times in post truth society.  Empty Re: End of Times in post truth society.

Post by kingstonlake 2021-05-19, 09:57

Agree 100%

The truth is only what you want it to be. This is the point where democracy is just as dangerous as any system of government that ever existed.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

End of Times in post truth society.  Empty Re: End of Times in post truth society.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-19, 10:45

agree DWags..

and I hate it for our kids.. we're kinda old and cynical.. we know that people are evil, that racist bigots get rewarded instead of punished. That lies are the norm and the people telling them hide being the flag and the bible. Our kids are still (likely) trying to balance their idealism with the reality of just how ugly modern America and the hate-filled white patriarchy that runs it is.

here's the really unfortunate part - our kids, born into families with relative wealth and privilege, are just now realizing what a rather large segment of our population has known their whole life.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-05-19, 18:00

It’s the Death of Democracy

The religious wackos are celebrating the potential end of the world resulting from a full fledged WW3 erupting in the Middle East.

Bibi Netanyahu see’s it as an opportunity to stay n office.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-19, 18:46

DWags wrote:Weird, but we're at a restaurant last Saturday night in Valparaiso with a large group of people sitting around talking. My 20 year old brings up the amount of lying that is tolerated by the general public and corruption that goes unpunished in today's society. How the middle east is exploding and there is no end in sight. She says "I really don't think I want to have kids". Thing is, she was dead on serious. That night in the hotel room, the wife says to me that when she said that for the first time in her life, she kind of agrees with her. (Yeah, it was a fun night with extended family but there were some depressing parts of it). I'm thinking maybe I do too.

We absolutely live in a post truth society. It doesn't punish the liars, or criminals. Gaetz will get re-elected. The congressman from Georgia who said it was a regular tourist day January 6th will be re-elected, the North Carolina DA gets to cherry pick body camera footage and claim his police did all the right things, that nut Green is bringing in more money donations than any congressman. This is absolutely insane.

I'm telling you, Nixon would not resign in today's political world. He'd double down on saying the dark state was setting him up and he'd become more popular with those that elected him.

It's bad. America isn't a stupid country, it's pretty damn evil.

It's always been evil. You could argue there are times when it's been worse.

What happens in the Middle East (or in some congressional district in Florida) will have minimal impact on someone's life in Michigan.

People talk about how divided the US is...it's kind of always been that way.

It's a big world. Plenty of places to explore and focus on family/community.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-05-20, 22:36

If one thinks what goes on in the Middle East has minimal effects on life in MI they must be channeling the TempeTantrum of pre-WW2 isolationist MI US Senator Arthur Vandenberg.

I think this country, especially places like MI are beginning to join the flyover states who long for a time that never was.  

MI is following post WW2 Iowa from a state that was built by a middle class and valued education to rolling back the clock.  Education and educators are the enemy.  Religious right are in power positions; police are always correct and if you’re stopped you’re the one who is obviously at fault.

The religious right are the Israel is always right crew and some are rooting for end times in their “God said it, I believe it.  That settles it.” mindset.  

What we’ve never experienced until Jan ‘17-Jan ‘21 was a POTUS who kept his conversations with Russia’s leader secret; attempted to destroy post WW2 international relations with our allies; was more concerned about how he could personally profit from The Presidency while he was in office.

My tinfoil hat theory is Putin provided Trump with details on many of his political rivals and power brokers  within the GOP that explains why Trump is running the GOP from his Florida compound.  Putin, Putin’s oligarchs and the Saudi’s are Trump’s bankers and both want him back in The White House.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-05-20, 23:08

Lol that was quite the thesis statement at the top. One of your best.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-21, 08:12

GRR Spartan wrote:If one thinks what goes on in the Middle East has minimal effects on life in MI they must be channeling the TempeTantrum of pre-WW2 isolationist MI US Senator Arthur Vandenberg.

I think this country, especially places like MI are beginning to join the flyover states who long for a time that never was.  

MI is following post WW2 Iowa from a state that was built by a middle class and valued education to rolling back the clock.  Education and educators are the enemy.  Religious right are in power positions; police are always correct and if you’re stopped you’re the one who is obviously at fault.

The religious right are the Israel is always right crew and some are rooting for end times in their “God said it, I believe it.  That settles it.” mindset.  

What we’ve never experienced until Jan ‘17-Jan ‘21 was a POTUS who kept his conversations with Russia’s leader secret; attempted to destroy post WW2 international relations with our allies; was more concerned about how he could personally profit from The Presidency while he was in office.

My tinfoil hat theory is Putin provided Trump with details on many of his political rivals and power brokers  within the GOP that explains why Trump is running the GOP from his Florida compound.  Putin, Putin’s oligarchs and the Saudi’s are Trump’s bankers and both want him back in The White House.
just wait'll the GOP steals both the 2022 and 2024 elections. They have voter suppression in place, along with state legislatures to not certify any votes they might not like.

and, of course, Democrats think Americans are smart to just do the right thing. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-21, 08:16

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lol that was quite the thesis statement at the top. One of your best.

My point remains (I think). If anyone's life in Michigan (or anywhere in the US) is that impacted by the Middle East, Putin, the Saudis, some Rep. in a district in Florida, and/or Trump...there are plenty of places in the world where those impacts can be minimized (if it can't be minimized in the US).

I'm not trying to be flip. People can control their levels of angst/concern about what really impacts them on a day to day basis.

Some people are more versed in national politics/characters than their local school board members for instance.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-05-21, 08:52

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lol that was quite the thesis statement at the top. One of your best.

My point remains (I think). If anyone's life in Michigan (or anywhere in the US) is that impacted by the Middle East, Putin, the Saudis, some Rep. in a district in Florida, and/or Trump...there are plenty of places in the world where those impacts can be minimized (if it can't be minimized in the US).

I'm not trying to be flip. People can control their levels of angst/concern about what really impacts them on a day to day basis.

Some people are more versed in national politics/characters than their local school board members for instance.

Unfortunately post truth is affecting all of our lives. From state politics to school boards. The rules each state are creating to suppress voting to local school board idiots that relied on teachers to save their children during the pandemic but now are willing to put them in harms way causing many teachers to quit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-05-21, 10:46

NigelUno wrote:

Sorry, to be clear I wasn’t talking about you
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-21, 10:57

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

My point remains (I think).  If anyone's life in Michigan (or anywhere in the US) is that impacted by the Middle East, Putin, the Saudis, some Rep. in a district in Florida, and/or Trump...there are plenty of places in the world where those impacts can be minimized (if it can't be minimized in the US).  

I'm not trying to be flip.  People can control their levels of angst/concern about what really impacts them on a day to day basis.  

Unfortunately post truth is affecting all of our lives. From state politics to school boards. The rules each state are creating to suppress voting to local school board idiots that relied on teachers to save their children during the pandemic but now are willing to put them in harms way causing many teachers to quit.
this is true..

and, I get what you're saying Nigel - I get a kick out of the racist, bigoted knuckle-scrapers.. they have provided me with an endless amount of entertainment. The problem is, they used to hang out in places like Mio and just sort of operate on the fringe and in a vacuum. Now they have a former president and members of Congress to admire and excuse their behaviors, while emboldening their anti-America assault on traditional values in the name of 'freedom' and 'christianity'... while their disgusting views and actions are amplified and, thusly, celebrated on mainstream media networks.

That's problematic.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-21, 13:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Sorry, to be clear I wasn’t talking about you

I know.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-21, 13:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

this is true..

and, I get what you're saying Nigel - I get a kick out of the racist, bigoted knuckle-scrapers.. they have provided me with an endless amount of entertainment. The problem is, they used to hang out in places like Mio and just sort of operate on the fringe and in a vacuum. Now they have a former president and members of Congress to admire and excuse their behaviors, while emboldening their anti-America assault on traditional values in the name of 'freedom' and 'christianity'... while their disgusting views and actions are amplified and, thusly, celebrated on mainstream media networks.

That's problematic.

Sure. I think a lot of otherwise nonpolitical people came out of the wordwork to support Trump or felt emboldened by him...like OMG, he won...my voice matters.

The problem for them is that a lot of other people were like...OMG, he won...and came out to oppose him.

Voter suppression was much worse in Georgia before, and including the 2018 Governor's race. It created a monster though, and she helped take down Trump and lead to 2 Democrats being elected to the Senate. Organization and new, younger voters prevailed. Demographics are changing in a lot of states.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-05-21, 13:42

Unfortunately the DOJ could have video and audio of Trump telling his lawyers and accountants to lie or commit fraud on his taxes, and it won’t matter to the millions of people who voted for him. So he’s correct. End of times, post truth. A vast majority of them will support him and his pedo, racist, elected officials in overthrowing our current form of government.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down