Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inflation continues on record pace.

+25
Zurn
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
Trapper Gus
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
sεяεηιτλ
Cameron
PennSpartan
Jacques D'Gatineaux
duffy munn
InTenSity
msugolfguy
GRR Spartan
StylesGShmooth
DWags
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
NigelUno
steveschneider
gomersbro
Bredo Morstoel
TrapperGus
RQA
29 posters

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 Empty Re: Inflation continues on record pace.

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-22, 13:36

kingstonlake wrote:Isn’t that like saying you put out a forest fire after it burned 3 million acres of forest therefore won the war against the forest fire?

At least a forest will grow back. Prices ain’t going back.

Wages are increasing, sort of like regrowing the forest in your analogy.

Should also note that the use of percentages in the CPI hides something.

If prices are at 100 and they increase 20% they are then at 120, if they then decease back to 100 that is only a 17% decrease from existing prices.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 Empty Re: Inflation continues on record pace.

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-22, 14:18

I keep telling people to STFU about the economy. There’s plenty of money and purchasing power in their wallets. They’ll get it eventually.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-22, 14:42

kingstonlake wrote:I keep telling people to STFU about the economy. There’s plenty of money and purchasing power in their wallets. They’ll get it eventually.
And that's a fact of life (always has been), so how do you fight against the right's faux logic blasting out how horrible you are doing?
https://www.djournal.com/news/national/is-the-economy-the-issue-or-is-the-problem-with-americas-perception/video_5f667e8c-30a7-5b25-8fd4-95a3b8926c49.html
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2023/12/15/chris_hayes_people_believe_the_economy_was_good_under_trump_because_he_used_propaganda_to_remind_us.html
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/biden-goes-into-2024-with-the-economy-getting-stronger-but-voters-feel-horrible-about-it/ar-AA1liOmp
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-23, 08:08

[tw]1738205044829249862[/tw]
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-23, 09:40

Suck it up fixed income bitches!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-23, 13:41

Found this, not sure what it really means but is sounds like people's incomes are racing higher as inflation cools.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/12/22/our-drunken-sailors-started-the-holiday-binge-fueled-by-disposable-income-that-outran-inflation-by-a-wide-margin/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-24, 10:34

If media tells me the sky is green I know they’re full of shit and don’t listen. I don’t stand outside, look up at a blue sky and say yup sky’s green. TV is right.

When 69% of the people in polls tell you that they do not like Bidens handling of the economy it’s a direct reflection of their personal experience with the economy. But I’ll keep telling them the sky is green while they’re standing under a blue one. Eventually they’ll get it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-24, 10:52

kingstonlake wrote:If media tells me the sky is green I know they’re full of shit and don’t listen. I don’t stand outside, look up at a blue sky and say yup sky’s green. TV is right.

When 69% of the people in polls tell you that they do not like Bidens handling of the economy it’s a direct reflection of their personal experience with the economy. But I’ll keep telling them the sky is green while they’re standing under a blue one. Eventually they’ll get it.

You have it slightly wrong, the sky is blue, the numbers show that the sky is blue, however the people keep insisting that although they sky is blue where they are are, they are sure the sky is green for everyone else.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-24, 10:55

kingstonlake wrote:If media tells me the sky is green I know they’re full of shit and don’t listen. I don’t stand outside, look up at a blue sky and say yup sky’s green. TV is right.

Way too many Americans are sheep to messaging. My neighbor just bought 5 acres up in Lake Orion. POS house on it he says, but he’s fixing it up. Anyway after purchasing a new truck and buying that place in Lake Orion, he’ll tell you Biden Sucks and the economy is shit.

Democrats don’t get the message out. It’s the party leaders fault.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-24, 11:46

DWags wrote:

When  69% of the people in polls tell you that they do not like Bidens handling of the economy it’s a direct reflection of their personal experience with the economy. But I’ll keep telling them the sky is green while they’re standing under a blue one. Eventually they’ll get it.

Way too many Americans are sheep to messaging.  My neighbor just bought 5 acres up in Lake Orion. POS house on it he says, but he’s fixing it up. Anyway after purchasing a new truck and buying that place in Lake Orion, he’ll tell you Biden Sucks and the economy is shit.

Democrats don’t get the message out.  It’s the party leaders fault.  

For a lot of people it is fine.  I’d be interested to know what percentage of people could take on a $750 a month truck payment and a for shits and giggles $1500 second mortgage payment starting tomorrow. For them, I’d bet the sky is blue.

Biden needs the votes of 69% of people in the poll who can’t.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-24, 12:00

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

Way too many Americans are sheep to messaging.  My neighbor just bought 5 acres up in Lake Orion. POS house on it he says, but he’s fixing it up. Anyway after purchasing a new truck and buying that place in Lake Orion, he’ll tell you Biden Sucks and the economy is shit.

Democrats don’t get the message out.  It’s the party leaders fault.  

For a lot of people it is fine.  I’d be interested to know what percentage of people could take on a $750 a month truck payment and a for shits and giggles $1500 second mortgage payment starting tomorrow. For them, I’d bet the sky is blue.

Biden needs the votes of 69% of people in the poll who can’t.

Not for my neighbor. The economy sucks for him. It’s messaging. Democrats just refuse to get the message out. I don’t know how you do it, but it seems I only read about inflation going down on this board. Fox News will tell you you’re broke and Hunter Biden has all your money.

Fact is, economy is doing fine. Another fact is a ton of people don’t think it is. Even if they’re able to buy more shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-24, 12:51

It is prices of food & gas.

People see the price increases as government responsibility and believe their increased wages are because they work hard.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-24, 14:23

Trapper Gus wrote:It is prices of food & gas.

People see the price increases as government responsibility and believe their increased wages are because they work hard.

Here’s my point.  Guy buys USDA prime Rib  for 18.99 a LB.  He buys a lot of it. So it’s 300 bucks.  He gets on the internet and bitches about it.  People think “inflation”  Bidens fault.

1.  He can get a better price
2.  It’s not a bad price
3. He gets choice for a lot cheaper
4. He’s a bad shopper so  Biden is to blame.

Will that  be countered by a Democratic ad?  Nah, Biden nomics

[tw]1738719240662732854?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Last edited by DWags on 2023-12-24, 19:06; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-12-24, 18:48

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:It is prices of food & gas.

Here’s my point.  Guy buys USDA prime Rib  for 18.99 a LB.  He buys a lot of it. So it’s 300 bucks.  He gets on the internet and bitches about it.  People think “inflation”  ideas fault.

1.  He can get a better price
2.  It’s not a bad price
3. He gets choice for a lot cheaper
4. He’s a bad shopper so  Biden is to blame.

Will that  be countered by a Democratic ad?  Nah, Biden nomics

[tw]1738719240662732854?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Guy whining about the $18.99/lb Prime Rib never considers:

Drought has raised grain prices that the prime rib donor steer ate
Fertilizer costs for the grain increased due to increased chemical and energy costs
Labor at the slaughter house, transportation and retail sales point increased

The whining consumer is feeling good enough about the economy to buy a choice cut of premium beef to purchase it for $300

But the cost of buyer’s purchase is Biden’s fault. The whiner wants his his county back.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, gomersbro and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-26, 10:09

GRR Spartan wrote:

Fertilizer costs for the grain increased due to increased chemical and energy costs

So the guy is complaining about inflation. Much of it driven by Biden economic policies. Given current approval ratings which has Biden at 39% which is the lowest of the 7 past presidents at this point in their presidency, most of America agrees with the guy.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-26, 10:24

Zurn wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

So the guy is complaining about inflation.   Much of it driven by Biden economic policies.    Given current approval ratings which has Biden at 39% which is the lowest of the 7 past presidents at this point in their presidency, most of America agrees with the guy.  

Overall inflation and food prices are two different measurements.

If the monetary "demand & supply side" theory had any semblance of being correct then in general all prices would have gone up about the same percentage & all areas on balance sheets would have, also.

However, profits have increased but large amounts while other percentages in the economy have stayed in more normal ranges.

These inflation numbers are supply-side driven, not demand-side driven, and more than 50% of of is due to corporations just increasing their profits because they have the power to do so.

As for meat prices, as pointed out there are supply side issues allowing price increases which have nothing to do with monetary policy.

The Chicago School's theory that the money supply is the casue of inflation in all cases has been totally destroyed.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-26, 11:00

Trapper Gus wrote:

The Chicago School's theory that the money supply is the casue of inflation in all cases has been totally destroyed.

Says the guy who claims "Holiday Inn" is not a Christmas movie.

Oh, and all price increases aren't inflation.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-26, 11:05

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Says the guy who claims "Holiday Inn" is not a Christmas movie.

Oh, and all price increases aren't inflation.

Economists who aren't tied down by the school they work for or by the party who pays their wages say so, too.

https://stayathomemacro.substack.com/p/ban-the-phillips-curve

As for Holiday Inn, you clearly are ignoring the amount of time it spent on all the other Holidays.

BTW, the blackface for Lincoln's birthday is beyond the pale for today's sensibilities.

It was a vehicle to get two singing and dancing stars on the same screen.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-26, 12:33

Trapper Gus wrote:

BTW, the blackface for Lincoln's birthday is beyond the pale for today's sensibilities.

"It's my favorite part of the movie" - Justin Trudeau.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-26, 18:04

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

"It's my favorite part of the movie" - Justin Trudeau.

Not sure why you make shit up. He has never said anything remotely like that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-12-26, 23:36

Zurn wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

So the guy is complaining about inflation.   Much of it driven by Biden economic policies.    Given current approval ratings which has Biden at 39% which is the lowest of the 7 past presidents at this point in their presidency, most of America agrees with the guy.  
I don't feel sorry for someone that buys an Escalade then bitches about gas prices, much like I don't give a fuck about someone buying prime ribeye and bitching about prices. Prime isn't supposed to be cheap. Such a bullshit thing to complain about. You know what I'm upset about? The 20 piece chicken McNugget and 2 free medium fries at the McDonalds near me is $14. Fucking Biden...oh wait, fuck that owner, because I go down the street and its less than $8. But maybe I should be fucking complaining about shit that's really not real but makes all you redneck motherfuckers feel justified.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-27, 09:02

InTenSity wrote: You know what I'm upset about? The 20 piece chicken McNugget and 2 free medium fries at the McDonalds near me is $14. Fucking Biden...oh wait, fuck that owner, because I go down the street and its less than $8. But maybe I should be fucking complaining about shit that's really not real but makes all you redneck motherfuckers feel justified.

I very much doubt that the price of a 20 piece mcnugget and 2 fries is $14 at one McDonalds but just down the street its <$8.

Interesting that you think inflation isn't real.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-27, 09:13

Zurn wrote:
InTenSity wrote: You know what I'm upset about? The 20 piece chicken McNugget and 2 free medium fries at the McDonalds near me is $14. Fucking Biden...oh wait, fuck that owner, because I go down the street and its less than $8. But maybe I should be fucking complaining about shit that's really not real but makes all you redneck motherfuckers feel justified.

I very much doubt that the price of a 20 piece mcnugget and 2 fries is $14 at one McDonalds but just down the street its <$8.

You would do much better if you would stop making stuff up.

He didn't say that inflation isn't real.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-12-26/what-recession-how-so-many-economists-got-it-so-wrong
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-27, 10:38

Zurn wrote:Much of it driven by Biden economic policies.
This is the largest piece of shit thing you've said so far. Like a pandemic and world wide supply crash didn't happen....
Inflation were the ripples, Bidenomics lead to the soft landing without a recession. Anyone disputing that is being disingenuous at best.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-27, 15:41

Joe is working on the longer term, too, and this may be the most significant action he has taken.

Monopolies are Monopolies, regardless of the economic outcomes. The anti-trust law is clear they are not allowed. Joe is the first President since Jimmy to follow the law on this.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/12/27/2213964/-Apple-Won-and-Google-Lost-Because-of-the-Corruption-of-the-Judiciary
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-28, 09:36

The Fed doesn't really have the tools, itself, to manage inflation in a sensible manner.  The cost of capital only works well when there isn't a huge supply of capital.

https://www.aier.org/article/inflation-undershoots-fed-projections/

Someone thinks we are in a housing bubble...

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/12/26/the-most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-america-december-2023-update/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-12-28, 09:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I keep telling people to STFU about the economy. There’s plenty of money and purchasing power in their wallets. They’ll get it eventually.
And that's a fact of life (always has been), so how do you fight against the right's faux logic blasting out how horrible you are doing?
https://www.djournal.com/news/national/is-the-economy-the-issue-or-is-the-problem-with-americas-perception/video_5f667e8c-30a7-5b25-8fd4-95a3b8926c49.html
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2023/12/15/chris_hayes_people_believe_the_economy_was_good_under_trump_because_he_used_propaganda_to_remind_us.html
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/biden-goes-into-2024-with-the-economy-getting-stronger-but-voters-feel-horrible-about-it/ar-AA1liOmp

It pains me to say, but we need more propaganda to constantly remind people how good things are.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-12-28, 10:10

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:

Overall inflation and food prices are two different measurements.

If the monetary "demand & supply side" theory had any semblance of being correct then in general all prices would have gone up about the same percentage & all areas on balance sheets would have, also.

However, profits have increased but large amounts while other percentages in the economy have stayed in more normal ranges.

These inflation numbers are supply-side driven, not demand-side driven, and more than 50% of of is due to corporations just increasing their profits because they have the power to do so.

As for meat prices, as pointed out there are supply side issues allowing price increases which have nothing to do with monetary policy.

Corporations definitely raised prices because they had the power to do so. The worst thing that could happen to the American consumer was the media promotion of inflation far and wide. So many companies just sat back and thought for a second, hey the market climate is such that we can probably raise prices without taking a lot of flak for doing so, so if we don't do it, we're missing out.

The funny thing is these price hikes will be short lived as competition will re-drive prices down. The smart company that is doing fine through all the economic madness should have kept prices stable (assuming they could) and sucked up gobs and gobs of market share. if you're a supplier of any kind, market share is key to growth and grabbing market share sticks with you much longer. Once other companies switch to your (whatever you supply, parts, etc), it's hard to make a switch to something else. Even harder when your prices are competitive and you decided to keep your prices stable instead of riding the trends. Switching to you because of good pricing during hard times however is a no-brainer. Hence you suck up more share and post much stronger sales growth. You will be dealing with slightly lower profit margins vs your competitors for a little while but you will be the reason that brings them back down closer to you and then by then you will have stolen all their business.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-12-28, 10:12

Zurn wrote:

Inflation is in fact real. But it is horribly exacerbated by greed.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-28, 10:14

sεяεηιτλ wrote:

The funny thing is these price hikes will be short lived as competition will re-drive prices down.  .

What's the timeline for my Subway footlong to be less than $15? I appreciate your confidence in free market economics but even the free market has to deal with a devalued dollar.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-12-28, 10:45

I just went to subways site and the only way I can get a foot long sub (too much food) to be over $15 is if I get double meat (gross) and add shit like bacon and pepperoni. Maybe the cost of your subway order is a you problem.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck, gomersbro, Trapper Gus, sεяεηιτλ and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-28, 11:28

The simplest explanation for the shift is that the old economic approach hasn’t worked very well for most Americans. Starting in the 1980s, the U.S. moved toward an economic policy that’s variously described as laissez-faire, neoliberal or market-friendly. It involved much lower taxes for the wealthy, less regulation of business, an expansion of global trade, a crackdown on labor unions and an acceptance of very large corporations.

The people selling this policy — like Milton Friedman, a Nobel laureate in economics — promised that it would bring prosperity for all. It has not.

tNYT Article on New Economics
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-12-28, 12:07

Zurn wrote:

Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 Screen22
Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 Screen23
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-28, 12:56

Bro brought receipts. Not playing. Subway triple meat extra cholesterol guy needs to tap out.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-28, 15:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I just went to subways site and the only way I can get a foot long sub (too much food) to be over $15 is if I get double meat (gross) and add shit like bacon and pepperoni. Maybe the cost of your subway order is a you problem.

Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 Image_10
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-12-28, 16:05

The base sandwich is cheaper if you go a mile down the road to crooks, according to their own website and will bring you in less than $15. There you go, inflation solved for the local dunce.

Also, you’re getting extra shit, which is what I said in the post. You really are the worlds worst at this shit aren’t you
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-28, 16:08

We see your +4. Nugget guy didn't have to add anything. His post was true on its own.

Inflation continues on record pace.   - Page 9 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5atqnwmpkeq2uzuhj40w3x8dfrmm6l5wssr5zynbk&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-12-28, 16:13

$4 for fresh Subway mozzarella is a massive rip off. Borderline criminal.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-28, 16:20

Cameron wrote:$4 for fresh Subway mozzarella is a massive rip off. Borderline criminal.

Dairy is assault.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-28, 16:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Also, you’re getting extra shit, which is what I said in the post. You really are the worlds worst at this shit aren’t you

No, this is what you said:

I just went to subways site and the only way I can get a foot long sub (too much food) to be over $15 is if I get double meat (gross) and add shit like bacon and pepperoni.

Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next