Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You know it’s past time to retire when

+8
PennSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
Heat Miser
MSU addict
Dendrobates
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
12 posters

Go down

You know it’s past time to retire when Empty You know it’s past time to retire when

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-01-14, 11:02

Here’s link from today’s GR Press about a 75 year old professor who should have left the ranks of college instructors no later than May 2020.

Passed the link on to my son-in-law in academia to use as a What Not to Say/Do/Admit

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/01/you-people-are-just-vectors-of-disease-to-me-ferris-state-professor-goes-on-curse-filled-rant-during-lecture.html
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

You know it’s past time to retire when Empty Re: You know it’s past time to retire when

Post by tGreenWay 2022-01-14, 11:42

Profanities aside, gramps ain’t wrong.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

You know it’s past time to retire when Empty Re: You know it’s past time to retire when

Post by Dendrobates 2022-01-14, 12:20

That's hilarious! He's totally right. And I'm sure he thought...ok so fire me. Why do I care?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2022-01-14, 12:29

Any of you who think he is other than bat shit crazy want to defend this:

“None of you (expletive) are good enough to earn an A in my class, so I randomly assign grades before the first day of class,” Mehler said in the video. “I don’t want to know (expletive) about you. I don’t even want to know your name. I just look at the number and I assign a grade. That is how predestination works. And don’t come (expletive) complaining to me, take your complaints to God. He ordained this system, not me.”

If he truly believes in predestination than he shouldn't give a shit about catching COVID.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2022-01-14, 12:32; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2022-01-14, 12:32

MSU addict wrote:Any of you who think he is other than bat shit crazy want to defend this:

“None of you (expletive) are good enough to earn an A in my class, so I randomly assign grades before the first day of class,” Mehler said in the video. “I don’t want to know (expletive) about you. I don’t even want to know your name. I just look at the number and I assign a grade. That is how predestination works. And don’t come (expletive) complaining to me, take your complaints to God. He ordained this system, not me.”

Think he just invited a review of every grade he's ever given. You know it’s past time to retire when 1966794946
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Cameron, tGreenWay, DWags and MSU addict like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2022-01-14, 12:33

Heat Miser wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Any of you who think he is other than bat shit crazy want to defend this:

Think he just invited a review of every grade he's ever given. You know it’s past time to retire when 1966794946
That was my thought as well.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-01-14, 13:10

If he truly believes in predestination than he shouldn't give a shit about catching COVID.

I did not read the whole thing.
Alright, he's a complete asshole. But I'm sure he really doesn't care if he's fired at this point in his life.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-01-14, 13:14

I mean, it’s funny, but man I don’t want to get to that age and be that angry.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

MSU addict and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2022-01-14, 13:18

FWIW, here is the actual video:

He comes off as intelligent but paranoid, a bit racist and probably bat shit crazy.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-01-14, 13:55

That guy is great.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-01-14, 15:58

Make him a Dean.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-01-14, 20:06

Ok I watched the whole video. The guy is an asshole, but hilarious. And I don't blame him. The grade thing is a real dick move, but I agree with everything else he said. Good for him. I'd want take his class just for fun.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2022-01-14, 22:11

Dendrobates wrote:Ok I watched the whole video. The guy is an asshole, but hilarious. And I don't blame him. The grade thing is a real dick move, but I agree with everything else he said. Good for him. I'd want take his class just for fun.
I am 99% sure he does not actually grade this way, he even mentions at the 13:42 minute mark.. everything you need to earn an A is available...

I am confident he is just making a teaching point about the stupidity of predestination and driving it home by making students feel the unfair randomness.

He does give off a self absorbed, old man yelling at the clouds, asshole vibe though. I am sure I would do well in his class, but I have never understood the point of being an asshole just to be one.

Things my mother taught me:

1) Never start a sentence with "you people."
2) If you feel the need to swear a lot, you are not an effective speaker.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Heat Miser and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2022-01-14, 23:35

MSU addict wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Ok I watched the whole video. The guy is an asshole, but hilarious. And I don't blame him. The grade thing is a real dick move, but I agree with everything else he said. Good for him. I'd want take his class just for fun.
I am 99% sure he does not actually grade this way, he even mentions at the 13:42 minute mark.. everything you need to earn an A is available...

I am confident he is just making a teaching point about the stupidity of predestination and driving it home by making students feel the unfair randomness.

He does give off a self absorbed, old man yelling at the clouds, asshole vibe though. I am sure I would do well in his class, but I have never understood the point of being an asshole just to be one.

You have discovered the purpose of tSwill. Those who are here to be assholes just to be assholes are not welcome.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

NigelUno, DWags, GRR Spartan, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-01-15, 01:15

Heat Miser wrote:
MSU addict wrote:I am 99% sure he does not actually grade this way, he even mentions at the 13:42 minute mark.. everything you need to earn an A is available...

You have discovered the purpose of tSwill. Those who are here to be assholes just to be assholes are not welcome.

You know it’s past time to retire when F2baaf7e-63df-418b-8681-6fc4a3b9b819_text
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-01-15, 08:13

The whole thing was scripted... and much of it was to make a point about the ridiculousness of "in person" for the sake of "in person". And to inform the kids how to deal with his class. Much of the "bad" stuff was from his plagiarism rant...
It would be nice to be able to function without a filter. I can't even fathom that.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-15, 09:54

What course was this posted for, that predestination would be a thing.

He is a history prof so I'm guessing some sort of religious history?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-01-15, 10:53

MSU addict wrote:

You can say that with 100 certainty. I don’t know what he is up to but it’s a big act of some sort.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-01-19, 14:14

Ferris State professor who made profanity-laced video threatens lawsuit if not reinstated

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/01/19/ferris-state-professor-barry-mehler-video-lawsuit/6581088001/

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-01-19, 15:33

mental health is a real issue in this country.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-01-19, 15:53

same guy from 7-8 years ago.

the disparity of his behavior between the two videos should concern people close to him. And if the most recent video is just an armchair attempt at an Oscar nomination filmed in jest as satirical frivolity on his way out the door, it's really unfortunate that he would use his position as a tenured faculty member to trivialize his role at the institution and, indeed, the institution itself.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down