Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old guys, and maybe young guys: This Scoreboard.

+10
Travis of the Cosmos
PennSpartan
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
The Pantry
Nordic
DWags
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Empty Old guys, and maybe young guys: This Scoreboard.

Post by DWags Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:07

I always loved this scoreboard. I'm not advocating for it's comeback, but man is it classic. It actually always made me smile when I'd walk in. By today's standards, it's a joke, but I think it would be cool as hell to have it someplace in the stadium. In my mind I can't think of anyplace in the stadium you could put it. But I wonder if they could hang it outside somewhere. It's just classic cool to me.

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Fjujwr10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Empty Re: Old guys, and maybe young guys: This Scoreboard.

Post by Nordic Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:18

Is that the north endzone? Back in the day you could bang on the backside of the north endzone scoreboard on big plays. I can still hear the sound of hands banging on sheet metal in my head.

The new video boards are great, but the layout is fucking hard to quickly read. They cram everything into a sliver on the bottom. There is plenty of room to spread it out. My drunk ass sometimes has trouble finding TOs or mixes up down and qtr.  Whoever was running the board last year certainly didn't help (constantly wrong early on).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Empty Re: Old guys, and maybe young guys: This Scoreboard.

Post by Nordic Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:21

One more beef...

During timeouts they replace game clock with a timeout countdown clock. How time is left in the qtr?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:49

Nordic wrote:Is that the north endzone? Back in the day you could bang on the backside of the north endzone scoreboard on big plays. I can still hear the sound of hands banging on sheet metal in my head.

The new video boards are great, but the layout is fucking hard to quickly read. They cram everything into a sliver on the bottom. There is plenty of room to spread it out. My drunk ass sometimes has trouble finding TOs or mixes up down and qtr.  Whoever was running the board last year certainly didn't help (constantly wrong early on).
The was no south endzone scoreboard when I was there. All the new shit sucks...why I watch all games on TV now. Shouldv'e never dropped the playing field 6 feet.

Except for DWags, Duffy, Floyd, and a few others you're all a bunch of punk asses.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:57

DWags wrote:I always loved this scoreboard. I'm not advocating for it's comeback, but man is it classic. It actually always made me smile when I'd walk in. By today's standards, it's a joke, but I think it would be cool as hell to have it someplace in the stadium. In my mind I can't think of anyplace in the stadium you could put it. But I wonder if they could hang it outside somewhere. It's just classic cool to me.

so cool.

the field I played little league football on (circa late '70's), had a clock... like an analog clock with arms, etc.. was pretty damn cool thinking back on it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 16:59

It wouldn’t help fans in the stands, but that style would be kind of cool to recreate on a digital billboard. People driving by it could instantly get an update. Have a bunch around the area and maybe in key larger cities. It would be tough getting a sponsor because it’s money not well spent.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 17:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:I always loved this scoreboard. I'm not advocating for it's comeback, but man is it classic. It actually always made me smile when I'd walk in. By today's standards, it's a joke, but I think it would be cool as hell to have it someplace in the stadium. In my mind I can't think of anyplace in the stadium you could put it. But I wonder if they could hang it outside somewhere. It's just classic cool to me.

so cool.

the field I played little league football on (circa late '70's), had a clock... like an analog clock with arms, etc.. was pretty damn cool thinking back on it.

looked a lot like this:

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   E510d33063db3a83179360f1416aecc3

so cool.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 17:19

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:Is that the north endzone? Back in the day you could bang on the backside of the north endzone scoreboard on big plays. I can still hear the sound of hands banging on sheet metal in my head.

The was no south endzone scoreboard when I was there.  All the new shit sucks...why I watch all games on TV now.  Shouldv'e never dropped the playing field 6 feet.  

Except for DWags, Duffy, Floyd, and a few others you're all a bunch of punk asses.  

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Simpsons-abe-simpson
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 17:50

The Pantry wrote:

The was no south endzone scoreboard when I was there. All the new shit sucks...why I watch all games on TV now. Shouldv'e never dropped the playing field 6 feet.

You watch games on tv, on a screen, and don’t go to games in person because of a screen at the stadium. Interesting!
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 18:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The Pantry wrote:The was no south endzone scoreboard when I was there.  All the new shit sucks...why I watch all games on TV now.  Shouldv'e never dropped the playing field 6 feet.  

You watch games on tv, on a screen, and don’t go to games in person because of a screen at the stadium. Interesting!

Funny you say that. It seems to me the info on the screen during network games this year has been filled with more mostly unnecessary information. Not only that, but in an attempt to avoid taking over the screen, they’ve shrunk down the size. More info in smaller spaces. One or two networks don’t even show which team has the ball anymore. That might not be a big deal to someone watching the game, but I pop in and out of games and if both sides are just standing around for play to start, it’s not easy to see. Then you have to wait til teams line up or you hope to see a player’s name you recognize enough to know if he’s O or D.

/oldmanrant
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 18:12

/oldmanrant

Good observation. i like the time the score down and distance and timeouts left. Anything more than that is way too much.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 18:22

DWags wrote:

/oldmanrant

Good observation.  i like the time the score down and distance and timeouts left.  Anything more than that is way too much.

When GreenWay started going to games, they kept time with an hourglass and used rocks to mark the score. Rumor has it, the first time he saw an electronic scoreboard he said "that will ruin the game." He said the same thing about the forward pass, too.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:28

I think I recognize that scoreboard. I’m old. Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   1811933421
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:30

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Good observation.  i like the time the score down and distance and timeouts left.  Anything more than that is way too much.

When GreenWay started going to games, they kept time with an hourglass and used rocks to mark the score. Rumor has it, the first time he saw an electronic scoreboard he said "that will ruin the game." He said the same thing about the forward pass, too.

Don't kid yourself, the forward pass has ruined the game.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:35

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

If we’re letting it all out today, it was my idea to place Model Ts all around the football field. It’s true: I created the first night game.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:37

Previous south endzone video board. I miss the side scoreboards.

Name this game...

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   Screen53
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:40

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Was there anything better than a good running game? Walker showed us how exciting that is this year.

Last edited by PennSpartan on Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:41; edited 1 time in total
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:40

Nordic wrote:Previous south endzone video board. I miss the side scoreboards.

Name this game...

2006 yeah?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:43

The Pantry wrote:

The scoreboard was manual back it the day ...

And what happened to freshman football?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:44

PennSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Was there anything better than a good running game? Walker showed us how exciting that is this year.

Reminded me of Eric Allan, oh and some guy named Griffin who played for the bad guys ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:45

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

3 things can happen, two of them bad.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:51

Name this game...

It’s the Notre Dame game. Duh. #Iwin
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:53

Pretty sure it used to just say "visitors" ...

don't given any more credit than necessary ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 19:55

Well, it is an RCMB "thing" but how about an endzone tower, about 12 stores tall, in the shape of The Spartan"?

It could hold the old scoreboard in its hand ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 20:06

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 20:13

Trapper Gus wrote:Well, it is an RCMB "thing" but how about an endzone tower, about 12 stores tall, in the shape of The Spartan"?

Giant Spartan statue is a universally accepted MSU dream. I’ll kick in if anyone ever plans to make it happen. I’ll also pay for it if I ever win a big pot lottery.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 20:33

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Reminded me of Eric Allan, oh and some guy named Griffin who played for the bad guys ...
Saw both of them play in Spartan Stadium.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 20:58

The Pantry wrote:

I read that basically like Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man character on SNL (this was before the Grump Old Men movies).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 21:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Name this game...

2006 yeah?

2010 Little Giants

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 21:51

Nordic wrote:

2006 yeah?

2010 Little Giants

I would have bet greenways dick that we upgraded the scoreboards before that
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 21:52

Name this game...

Is that bongajon?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 22:31

tGreenWay wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Well, it is an RCMB "thing" but how about an endzone tower, about 12 stores tall, in the shape of The Spartan"?

Giant Spartan statue is a universally accepted MSU dream. I’ll kick in if anyone ever plans to make it happen. I’ll also pay for it if I ever win a big pot lottery.

It needs to be repurposed, extra luxury seating? Athletic dorm? Extra parking space for the busses?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 18 Jan 2022 - 23:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Name this game...

Is that bongajon?
Shit, forgot about that dude. Could definitely be him.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 11:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Is that bongajon?
I forgot about him, too. Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   502811600

(he wouldn't mind me telling this story, as he chimed in once on the old board about it) - but I recognized him working at Dick's Sporting Goods in Okemos years ago... spoke to him, introduced myself. We talked for about 5 minutes or so. Really good kid.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 11:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
I forgot about him, too. Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   502811600

(he wouldn't mind me telling this story, as he chimed in once on the old board about it) - but I recognized him working at Dick's Sporting Goods in Okemos years ago... spoke to him, introduced myself. We talked for about 5 minutes or so. Really good kid.

Yeah, I met him an RCMB spring FB game tailgate, maybe 2008ish and seemed like a good kid. Just a bit misguided with that wig lol.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 12:19

I never met him but I thought he was OTPT. No?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 12:49

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It needs to be repurposed, extra luxury seating? Athletic dorm? Extra parking space for the busses?

How about quick trips to outer space?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 12:51

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Is that bongajon?
Shit, forgot about that dude.  Could definitely be him.  

I don't know who that is, but unless he was 10 in that photo, I doubt it. The other kid is my daughter (the picture blows). They were on the sidelines for Little Giants game (kickoff kids).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 12:55

Nordic wrote:

2010 Little Giants

I would have bet greenways dick that we upgraded the scoreboards before that

You must not have been confident to make such a small bet.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 13:09

Old guys, and maybe young guys:  This Scoreboard.   1966_tie.0
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next