Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work?

+2
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
6 posters

Go down

Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work? Empty Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work?

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-06, 21:37

Color me skeptical. The ones we have were on the house when we bought it. They look pretty full of leaves, stems, and pine needles. Others I’ve seen at friends’ houses look equally useless.
So, how about it? Can you recommend a brand that works?
Thank you, my dear web-based friends.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work? Empty Re: Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-05-06, 21:44

Color me skeptical too. Which is like a burnt yellow as far as I know.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work? Empty Re: Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work?

Post by MSU addict 2022-05-06, 21:58

This is the only one that I know works well:

Swillers: Do any of those leaf filters/gutter guards actually work? Chains10
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-06, 22:51

MSU addict wrote:This is the only one that I know works well:

Too many trees for my weak arms. I’d need to hire Nordy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-06, 22:52

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Color me skeptical too. Which is like a burnt yellow as far as I know.

No wonder we don’t like those umaa scummers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-06, 22:53

DWags won’t be helpful. This is graduation weekend and he’s going to be liquored up all weekend, then hung over all week.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2022-05-07, 07:57

tGreenWay wrote:
MSU addict wrote:This is the only one that I know works well:

My post is only part in jest.  In all seriousness - you really should review what trees are causing the problem and see if they make sense.  It has been my experience that people who put in trees are clueless and do so with little to no foresight.

When we moved into our current house three years ago there were 2 huge eastern white pines (60 feet or so) right next to the house.    The eastern white pine may be the state tree of Michigan - but I don't live in Michigan and in my opinion that is tree that should never be planted next to a house.  Their annual needle loss is huge - significantly more than most pine trees - as they often only keep one year of needle growth and at most two.  FWIW, removing a 60 foot tree next to a house is a job for a pro not a homeowner.

Before I buy a house I look at what trees are on the property and what I think should be removed.  I factor that into the purchase decision.

Gutter guards are expensive - removing the problem may not cost much more and might be a much better option.  Most tree services give free estimates and the people who come out know their business and are a good resource of what should be removed.  I like to pick their brains.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-05-07, 08:06

Remove the gutters.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-07, 16:19

MSU addict wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

My post is only part in jest.  In all seriousness - you really should review what trees are causing the problem and see if they make sense.  It has been my experience that people who put in trees are clueless and do so with little to no foresight.

When we moved into our current house three years ago there were 2 huge eastern white pines (60 feet or so) right next to the house.    The eastern white pine may be the state tree of Michigan - but I don't live in Michigan and in my opinion that is tree that should never be planted next to a house.  Their annual needle loss is huge - significantly more than most pine trees - as they often only keep one year of needle growth and at most two.  FWIW, removing a 60 foot tree next to a house is a job for a pro not a homeowner.

Before I buy a house I look at what trees are on the property and what I think should be removed.  I factor that into the purchase decision.

Gutter guards are expensive - removing the problem may not cost much more and might be a much better option.  Most tree services give free estimates and the people who come out know their business and are a good resource of what should be removed.  I like to pick their brains.

This is pretty much spot on, IMO. Admittedly, I’m loathe to remove any mature tree unless it’s so close to the house that it jeopardizes the foundation. One of the biggest offenders is a tree on a neighbor’s property. It’s an oak that doesn’t even shed most of its leaves until late winter, early spring. I also didn’t realize white pines were such shedders until you mentioned it. Those are likely the worst ones in my yard. The trade off so far has been the nice shade it offers and the smell they put off is really great.
I'll need to inspect what’s actually filled in the eaves, but the current guard covers everything and makes it nearly impossible to reach in and pull stuff out to eyeball.
Looks like I’ve got some decisions to make. I wish this was something to address before or long after COVID, when metal prices weren’t so high. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to sell a few more pigs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-07, 16:20

Motown Spartan wrote:Remove the gutters.

Yoopers certainly do hate their gutters.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-05-07, 17:11

The hired help doesn't clean out your gutters? I've got five huge maple trees around my house. The benefits of them keeping the house cool in the summer far outweigh the couple of hours I spend cleaning out the gutters.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-07, 21:48

Jake from State Farm wrote:The hired help doesn't clean out your gutters? I've got five huge maple trees around my house. The benefits of them keeping the house cool in the summer far outweigh the couple of hours I spend cleaning out the gutters.

I really thought the grounds crew would do it. Now I have to hire a separate team to take care of work I refuse to do.

Edit: and oh by the way, I have hired help to keep me cool in the summer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down