Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires

+5
MSU addict
GRR Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
9 posters

Go down

MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires Empty MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires

Post by tGreenWay Thu 12 May 2022 - 10:47

After 29 seasons of mediocrity, it’s about damn time.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/2022/05/12/michigan-state-softball-coach-jacquie-joseph-retires-after-29-seasons/9744520002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires Empty Re: MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 12 May 2022 - 10:53

Great news! Too bad it wasn't 28 years ago.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires Empty Re: MSU Softball coach Jacquie Joseph retires

Post by tGreenWay Thu 12 May 2022 - 11:00

Floyd Robertson wrote:Great news! Too bad it wasn't 28 years ago.

Not sure I’ll ever understand how/why she was allowed to continue for so long. But, I understand the U can’t fund every sport at championship levels, so maybe she was left alone because she didn’t raise a stink about it every season. Getting a new coach means investing money not just for a new coach, but also whatever bells & whistles the new HC deems necessary. Purely speculating on my part.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 12 May 2022 - 13:16

Seems like the non revenue sports could field strong teams with just local talent. Softball (and baseball) stars do not stick around. (See lcc and cmu's success)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 12 May 2022 - 13:52

Joseph was a poor coach and excellent self-promoter which is why she’s in a softball coaches HOF. Based on longevity, not her teams on field success.

Joseph had some success at BGSU when MSU hired her and her first few years at MSU were acceptable.

However she would take an annual trip to SoCal to recruit players who were passed over by West Coast schools and ignore instate and Midwest players. Travel coaches I know called it Jacquie’s recruiting “vacation”.

In recent years I know of 2 cases where players who were interested in MSU and being recruited by MAC schools and D2’s like GVSU and SVSU had coaches told they weren’t good enough. Then, after 2 good seasons at the schools they chose, Joseph’s assistants called their old hs and travel coaches asking about them.

Like the MSU baseball coaches who also had poor facilities, AD’s let Joseph muck along letting her use facilities as an excuse and graduating players.

After the throwing at plays in batting practice mess and Joseph tacitly standing on the sidelines in the Nasser mess on top of her poor coaching I have to believe she’s being parked at the AD’s office for a year to get her 30 years for retirement.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu 12 May 2022 - 15:59

GRR Spartan wrote:
After the throwing at plays in batting practice mess and Joseph tacitly standing on the sidelines in the Nasser mess on top of her poor coaching I have to believe she’s being parked at the AD’s office for a year to get her 30 years for retirement.
FWIW, I believe MSU employees need 25 years of service for retirement (only 15 years they are 62).
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 12 May 2022 - 16:15

I do not have any thoughts on this
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 12 May 2022 - 17:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I do not have any thoughts on this

I’m sorry you accept mediocrity in a Spartan sport, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 12 May 2022 - 17:32

She sounds hot!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 12 May 2022 - 17:41

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I do not have any thoughts on this

Why are you sorry? I’m not worried about it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 13 May 2022 - 10:46

MSU addict wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:
FWIW, I believe MSU employees need 25 years of service for retirement (only 15 years they are 62).

I’ve worked with people who hang on to get their 30 years as a milepost that’s important.

If Joseph wanted that and/or Haller looked at the optics. Rather than firing Joseph and risking MSU’s relationship with the Secchia family, he and MSU fundraisers have taken the long view and ease Joseph off into the sunset.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 13 May 2022 - 11:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Why are you sorry? I’m not worried about it

Bob?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 13 May 2022 - 22:17

Does a single game elimination system make sense in softball?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat 14 May 2022 - 6:35

Trapper Gus wrote:Does a single game elimination system make sense in softball?
Softball can throw one pitcher forever... so maybe?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun 15 May 2022 - 10:04

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Does a single game elimination system make sense in softball?

I'm just thinking it is just like baseball, where championships at the pro level are multiple game affairs.

I see Nebraska won the B1G tournament. Saw them win on Friday, and the low scoring, every pitch is important style reminded me of MLB of 50 years ago.

I think that the juiced up runfests the MLB has now are one reason people think it is boring. When every pitch could decide the game people are paying more attention to the details.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 15 May 2022 - 10:43

Trapper Gus wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

I'm just thinking it is just like baseball, where championships at the pro level are multiple game affairs.

I see Nebraska won the B1G tournament. Saw them win on Friday, and the low scoring, every pitch is important style reminded me of MLB of 50 years ago.

I think that the juiced up runfests the MLB has now are one reason people think it is boring. When every pitch could decide the game people are paying more attention to the details.

You may have answered your own question. At the pro level, there are fewer teams in the playoffs and they’re getting paid to play the game. Whereas, at the college level, there are a lot more teams getting into the playoffs and all the participants still have a full load of classes. Playoffs in college would take a lot longer to complete by virtue of adding more games to each series.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 10 Jun 2022 - 13:26

[tw]1535311787658289155[/tw]

So we're trading a mediocre coaching record for a mediocre coaching record. I know we're not a softball mecca, but that's it? Haller must see a lot of potential in her.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 14 Jun 2022 - 23:20

The ONLY thing AD Haller had to sell was Secchia Stadium and a Big Ten head coaching position.
Don’t think any upper division Power Five assistants were willing to take a flyer at the MSU job after Joseph was allowed to run it into the ground. New coach has been a Big Ten assistant and was a 4 year starter at TAMU. If she’s successful enough to go home to to a Bg 12 HC job in Texas after 5 years MSU will be a helluva lot better off than Joseph milking it for the last 2 decades.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 27 Apr 2023 - 7:57

[tw]1651541952989630464[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 29 Apr 2023 - 13:21

[tw]1652358482987737089?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down