Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big oil price gouging?

+7
duffy munn
PennSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
NumbersDude
sεяεηιτλ
Trapper Gus
kingstonlake
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Big oil price gouging? Empty Big oil price gouging?

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-21, 10:41

https://www.businessinsider.com/gas-prices-oil-company-profits-skyrocketing-energy-sector-earnings-charts-2022-5?amp

ExxonMobil reported a net profit of $5.5 billion, more than doubling its earnings from the year-ago period. Shell notched its strongest quarterly profit ever, and Chevron posted its best earnings quarter in nearly a decade.

The latest round of quarterly earnings shows the industry enjoying a bonanza, and as Americans' pain at the pump intensifies, scrutiny over those profits is likely to get even more intense.

Republicans unanimously reject bill addressing price gouging

The measure was approved, 217-207. Republicans unanimously opposed the bill
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

sεяεηιτλ and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Big oil price gouging? Empty Re: Big oil price gouging?

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-21, 11:58

Clearly they are. When profits make up over 50% of the cause of increased prices what else can it be called.

Btw, much of the increased prices in other goods are due to energy prices, so this has an inflation multiplier effect.

There was an Economist interviewd on.NPR's show, On Point, yesterday who says that for the past 40 years the US "free market" has turned into more of a monopoly market for each good or service and market fagility is the result, where one companies actions cause market shortages that cannot be managed via "free market" principles.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-05-21, 12:14

as approved, 217-207. Republicans unanimously opposed the bill

Surprise! Republicans love harming the american people for political benefit.

They are obviously using the gas situation to harm democrats/Biden presidency.

They are so god damn unamerican
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-05-21, 12:18

Trapper Gus wrote:Clearly they are. When profits make up over 50% of the cause of increased prices what else can it be called.

Btw, much of the increased prices in other goods are due to energy prices, so this has an inflation multiplier effect.

There was an Economist interviewd on.NPR's show, On Point, yesterday who says that for the past 40 years the US "free market" has turned into more of a monopoly market for each good or service and market fagility is the result, where one companies actions cause market shortages that cannot be managed via "free market" principles.

It's all politics at this point. These companies like republicans for some reason, they are trying to harm democrats because so much consumer sentiment is tied up in gas prices. utterly unamerican
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-21, 12:21

Time to get EVs poors.

Oh wait Musk is anti leftist.

Basketball

Instead of complaining do something about it- oh wait let the .gov handle it. Lol.

Let see, limit oil production in the US, I wonder what it will do to fuel prices in the US. Lol.

NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Bredo Morstoel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-21, 12:25

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Clearly they are. When profits make up over 50% of the cause of increased prices what else can it be called.

It's all politics at this point. These companies like republicans for some reason, they are trying to harm democrats because so much consumer sentiment is tied up in gas prices. utterly unamerican

Hahahahahahah

Never change man.

“ its a political tactic to make my guy look bad!”

You are a college grad?

You sound exactly like a Q-Tard.

The irony.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-05/the-four-key-contributors-to-america-s-soaring-gasoline-prices
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-21, 12:26

sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Hahahahaha
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-21, 12:30

sεяεηιτλ wrote:

It is a poor weapon that hits just one target.

The big money that owns the Republician Party is muchly fossil fuel.money, thus huge profits and causing CPI inflation at the same time, a twofer
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-21, 12:34

NumbersDude wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Hahahahahahah

Never change man.

You are a college grad?

The irony.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-05/the-four-key-contributors-to-america-s-soaring-gasoline-prices

I would commrnt but your link.leads to a paywalled article.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-21, 12:41

NumbersDude wrote:Time to get EVs poors.

Oh wait Musk is anti leftist.

Basketball

Instead of complaining do something about it- oh wait let the .gov handle it. Lol.

Let see, limit oil production in the US, I wonder what it will do to fuel prices in the US. Lol.

What limits? Could you point me to the law that has mandated oil producers cut production.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-05-21, 12:49

Republicans and corporations are active participants in inflicting as much pain as possible on Americans in hopes it'll help them in November.

Disgusting but not at all surprising.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-05-21, 13:38

Big Oil isn’t price gouging.  This is all Biden’s fault.  Drill baby, drill.  We need more oil even though not a single gas station has closed for lack of fuel. Big oil just likes to spill some once in a while like Exxon Valdez and Deepwater Horizon.  The water was a little too clean.  
Signed, RQA
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-05-22, 01:08

NumbersDude wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

It's all politics at this point.  These companies like republicans for some reason, they are trying to harm democrats because so much consumer sentiment is tied up in gas prices.  utterly unamerican

Hahahahahahah

Never change man.

You are a college grad?

The irony.

Do you know what "profit" means? "Shell notched its strongest quarterly profit ever"

My lord, it means that those excuses in the article you posted are a bunch of BS because profit is tallied AFTER costs. Seriously, that article literally sounds like it was directly written by big oil.

If everyone was running around saying they are posting record revenue and pretending like it is bad, then you might have a point.  but that's not what is happening. They are making boat loads of cash after all those "marketing" expenses they incur, which happens when you are selling product for much higher than you used to while simultaneously not paying a commiserate amount in expenses.

I would like you to change your level of intellect, but it seems MSU failed in giving you the tools to learn. Please stop devaluing my degree.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 01:39

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

Hahahahahahah

Never change man.

You are a college grad?

The irony.

Do you know what "profit" means? "Shell notched its strongest quarterly profit ever"

My lord, it means that those excuses in the article you posted are a bunch of BS because profit is tallied AFTER costs. Seriously, that article literally sounds like it was directly written by big oil.

If everyone was running around saying they are posting record revenue and pretending like it is bad, then you might have a point.  but that's not what is happening. They are making boat loads of cash after all those "marketing" expenses they incur, which happens when you are selling product for much higher than you used to while simultaneously not paying a commiserate amount in expenses.

I would like you to change your level of intellect, but it seems MSU failed in giving you the tools to learn. Please stop devaluing my degree.

Buy an EV. Use less fuel. Guess what? They are in business to make money. You don’t like it? Do something about it. Oh wait you depend on the government to do it for you.

You are forever outraged. How unamerican.
Making money is the American way, its the American dream.
Unamerican communist.
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-22, 05:54

So we’ve made up a story about the government limiting production and praised high prices for profit all in the same breath?

Glory.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 09:13

kingstonlake wrote:So we’ve made up a story about the government limiting production and praised high prices for profit all in the same breath?

Glory.

Must be a republican nazi racist sexist plot to destroy the planet to make Biden look bad so there will be russian collusion on 6 january christians bad? All masterminded by Trump?
Big oil price gouging? 1550444538
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 09:24

NumbersDude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:So we’ve made up a story about the government limiting production and praised high prices for profit all in the same breath?

Glory.

Must be a republican nazi racist sexist plot to destroy the planet to make Biden look bad so there will be russian collusion on 6 january christians bad? All masterminded by Trump?

To ignore the links between dirty energy and the Republican Party is just as stupid as to claim they have a central command where everything is controlled.

Why do you think dirty energy has been funding the Republican Party for years and years if not to gain economic favors, like when Trump, in April of 2020, threated the Saudis with removing the US military protection from them unless they cut production, which he did so that the US dirty energy industry didn't suffer higher losses than they did.

There is no love lost between the dirty energy industry and the Democratic Party and they are actively supporting replacing Democratic officials with Republicans and/or trying to keep Democratic officials from being appointed to positions which affect their businesses by slow walking Seante confirmations.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 09:41

Trapper Gus wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

To ignore the links between dirty energy and the Republican Party is just as stupid as to claim they have a central command where everything is controlled.

Why do you think dirty energy has been funding the Republican Party for years and years if not to gain economic favors, like when Trump, in April of 2020, threated the Saudis with removing the US military protection from them unless they cut production, which he did so that the US dirty energy industry didn't suffer higher losses than they did.

There is no love lost between the dirty energy industry and the Democratic Party and they are actively supporting replacing Democratic officials with Republicans and/or trying to keep Democratic officials from being appointed to positions which affect their businesses by slow walking Seante confirmations.

D or R. It doesnt matter. They want us to fight each other while they get rich.
Every disaster, every crisis politicians and their buddies take advantage of americans fears and anxiety to maximize profits.

NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 09:50

Glory.

I guess you are the guy that thinks he can cool his house by just running the AC in the basement right? So logic might not be a strong point with you so I dug up this pictorial diagram.

Keep in mind supply and demand.
Big oil price gouging? 61013910
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-22, 09:51

NumbersDude wrote:

Glory.

Deflection.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-22, 09:53

NumbersDude wrote:

Glory.

I guess you are the guy that thinks he can cool his house by just running the AC in the basement right? So logic might not be a strong point with you so I dug up this pictorial diagram.

No, I asked because I wasn’t sure and/or know very little about hvac. Is comprehension really that hard?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-05-22, 09:55

Numbers seems a little edgy since he has to show his true colors via numbers guy and not his shtick that got nuked.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 09:58

kingstonlake wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

No, I asked because I wasn’t sure and/or know very little about hvac. Is comprehension really that hard?

Get a large drum fan, open the stairwell door to your basement and blow the cooler air from the basement to the first floor. Thats the most cost effective way to transfer cooler temps from your basement to the rest of your house.
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 10:06

kingstonlake wrote:Numbers seems a little edgy since he has to show his true colors via numbers guy and not his shtick that got nuked.

This name sucks. 2621 is more efficient to write and a numbers dude T-shirt does not look as cool.
Big oil price gouging? 237a5810
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:15

NumbersDude wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Every disaster, every crisis politicians and their buddies take advantage of americans fears and anxiety to maximize profits.

Fairly cynical viewpoint, Dude.

Maybe it is how the free market works without a constraint on profits beyond what the market can pay. In other words it isn't the people running things so much as the structure of the system.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:19

NumbersDude wrote:

Glory.

Your chart misses one of the true causes.  

April 2020 Trump forces oil off the markets by threating the Saudis with removal of US military support.

What you are showing regarding Biden is not cause and effect but instead is correlation, which is a weak argument, and in some places completely stupid. The oil lease thing has nothing to do with prices today, as it takes years from lease to production.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 10:23

Trapper Gus wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

Maybe it is how the free market works without a constraint on profits beyond what the market can pay. In other words it isn't the people running things so much as the structure of the system.

I am strangely ok with the “price gouging” but against government intervention to control the market.

See the game Trapper.

1. Crisis
2. Companies maximize profits during crisis- oil, big pharma, defense
3. Crooks in the .gov lobby for more power and control to “help” the people.
4. Reality- government consolidates power and gains more power with more restrictions. Hence never let a crisis go to waste.

See it now Trapper? I can live with higher fuel prices, as the fluctuate- government never relinquishes power or control. ( Patriot Act)
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:27

NumbersDude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Numbers seems a little edgy since he has to show his true colors via numbers guy and not his shtick that got nuked.

This name sucks. 2621 is more efficient to write and a numbers dude T-shirt does not look as cool.

Dude, this isn't TOB.  

HM gave you the choice of which one to keep, but you didn't respond.  You can PM him and tell him you want to use 2621 and he most likely will agree and switch it to active while shutting NumbersDude off.

It may take a few days, he isn't on here 247
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:30

NumbersDude wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I am strangely ok with the “price gouging” but against government intervention to control the market.

See the game Trapper.

1. Crisis
4. Reality- government consolidates power and gains more power with more restrictions. Hence never let a crisis go to waste.

See it now Trapper? I can live with higher fuel prices, as the fluctuate- government never relinquishes power or control. ( Patriot Act)

My point is regarding what you posted, saying both sides are the same. They are not.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 10:31

Trapper Gus wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

Dude, this isn't TOB.  

HM gave you the choice of which one to keep, but you didn't respond.  You can PM him and tell him you want to use 2621 and he most likely will agree and switch it to active while shutting NumbersDude off.

Since you often use the pronoun “Dude” in your post and I am the only person that regularly replys to most of your post, I suppose this crappy name will make do.

Later Trap I must attend to my avocado grove which is extremely time consuming.
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 10:33

Trapper Gus wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

See the game Trapper.

1. Crisis

My point is regarding what you posted, saying both sides are the same. They are not.

Big oil price gouging? Donald-melania-trump-bill-hillary-clinton-600
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:33

NumbersDude wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Dude, this isn't TOB.  

Since you often use the pronoun “Dude” in your post and I am the only person that regularly replys to most of your post, I suppose this crappy name will make do.

Just pointing out your name is your choice on here 2621, so stop playing the victim card.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:34

NumbersDude wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

My point is regarding what you posted, saying both sides are the same.  They are not.

Big oil price gouging? Donald-melania-trump-bill-hillary-clinton-600

If you can't tell the difference between policies and socializing not sure how you will understand much of anything.

edit - of course the government is designed to create compromise, if you want an authoritarian government, one without compromise, there are plenty of places you can have that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-22, 10:39

Trapper Gus wrote:
NumbersDude wrote:

Just pointing out your name is your choice on here 2621, so stop playing the victim card.

Victim? I am the aggressor. My goal daily is to be the top poster on this board. It does not take much.
I choose poorly with this lame name.

It pisses people off when they are arguing with a string of numbers and they have to toggle the numeric keyboard when talking trash about me. No one else has a string of numbers for a name its original and hilarious.
Writing #dude in the sand takes more effort than 2621.
Fuck this username.
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-22, 10:40

NumbersDude wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Victim? I am the aggressor. My goal daily is to be the top poster on this board. It does not take much.
I choose poorly with this lame name.

It pisses people off when they are arguing with a string of numbers and they have to toggle the numeric keyboard when talking trash about me. No one else has a string of numbers for a name its original and hilarious.
Writing #dude in the sand takes more effort than 2621.
Fuck this username.

So you know what to do. PM HM to have him switch the active accounts. You have control of the fate of your user name, if you have the courage to use it.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-05-22, 11:29

NumbersDude wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Buy an EV. Use less fuel. Guess what? They are in business to make money. You don’t like it? Do something about it. Oh wait you depend on the government to do it for you.

You are forever outraged. How unamerican.
Making money is the American way, its the American dream.
Unamerican communist.

you didn't answer the question. Do you know what profit means?
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-05-31, 08:58

U.S. oil refiners’ margins smash records, but few plan to build more plants
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-06-01, 10:59

Trapper Gus wrote:U.S. oil refiners’ margins smash records, but few plan to build more plants

Still no word from numbers if he understands what profit means. He posts an article claiming marketing expenses are leading to these prices....lol. he should stick to avocado farming
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-06-01, 15:05

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:U.S. oil refiners’ margins smash records, but few plan to build more plants

Still no word from numbers if he understands what profit means. He posts an article claiming marketing expenses are leading to these prices....lol. he should stick to avocado farming

NumbersDude claimed via a PM to me on TOB that both his user names have been banned on this board.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-06-01, 15:14

Trapper Gus wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

NumbersDude claimed via a PM to me on TOB that both his user names have been banned on this board.

Good
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next