Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.

+12
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
kingstonlake
Rick Saunders
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
sεяεηιτλ
PennSpartan
DWags
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  Empty Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.

Post by DWags Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 pm

I think they pissed a ton of people off last week. Signatures were had in a weeks time. While that subject alone will draw a ton of people to the polls, I’m hoping it brings more liberal, moderate and progressive voters there. And, while they’re filling a ballot for womens rights, mark a couple candidates down too.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  Empty Re: Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.

Post by PennSpartan Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:38 pm

DWags wrote:I think they pissed a ton of people off last week. Signatures were had in a weeks time. While that subject alone will draw a ton of people to the polls, I’m hoping it brings more liberal, moderate and progressive voters there. And, while they’re filling a ballot for womens rights, mark a couple candidates down too.
All of these recent court decisions need to be the battle cry of Dems this fall, DWags. Roe, guns, voting rights, as well as January 6 and the Big Lie.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  Empty Re: Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.

Post by sεяεηιτλ Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:33 pm

DWags wrote:I think they pissed a ton of people off last week. Signatures were had in a weeks time. While that subject alone will draw a ton of people to the polls, I’m hoping it brings more liberal, moderate and progressive voters there. And, while they’re filling a ballot for womens rights, mark a couple candidates down too.

Until SCOTUS takes away our rights to ballot initiatives and puts the power in the hands of our corrupt gerrymandered religious extremist state legislature
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:35 pm

sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Until SCOTUS takes away our rights to ballot initiatives and puts the power in the hands of our corrupt gerrymandered religious extremist state legislature
They’re working on it.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:35 pm

This proposals petitions had been out there for awhile.

It is a longer process than just one week, and it probably already had the signatures needed before the court's issuing of the overturning of Roe v Wade.

Michigan tried this once before, before Roe v Wade I think, and the Anti-Abortion people worked against it big time, so it was roundly defeated.

Hopefully it goes the other way this time around.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:36 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

They’re working on it.

I know. and i'm stunned. This one is hitting me hard. I'm getting very very angry about it.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:28 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
They’re working on it.

I know. and i'm stunned. This one is hitting me hard. I'm getting very very angry about it.

I must have missed the case in which the court would do that.

The case regarding the legislature be the only authority for elections doesn't address this, other than possible The People voting on how to hold elections via referendum, and even that is fuzzy, as, in fact, when The People do that they are in effect acting as the legislature.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:23 am

LANSING — Supporters of Michigan’s abortion rights ballot initiative have collected nearly 800,000 signatures — almost double the required number of eligible signatures — ahead of a Monday deadline to qualify for the November ballot, campaign co-chair and Ann Arbor Councilwoman Linh Song announced.

Mark Brewer, an election law attorney working for the campaign who has decades of experience in ballot initiatives, did not confirm the signature count when reached by Bridge Michigan.

If it’s accurate, he said, it would set the record for signatures collected by any Michigan ballot campaign.

“I’m not aware of any ballot proposal which has gathered anywhere near that number of signatures,” he told Bridge. “If it’s true, it’s an extraordinary accomplishment.”

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/michigan-abortion-rights-ballot-measure-has-800k-signatures-organizer-says

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 pm

The best part of this is it will bring way more people to the polls than the Republicans wanted. At least that's my hope.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:45 am

Over 750,000 signatures on the petitions. Isn't this where the legislature steps in and makes it law according to this:

Michigan is one of 18 states that allows for indirect statutory initiative. This allows ballot proponents to submit a proposed law to the legislature if they collect enough signatures to qualify for the ballot. If the legislature does not choose to approve the law, the ballot question is submitted to the voters. If they do approve it within 40 days, it becomes law without a vote of the people or approval of the governor (it is not subject to a gubernatorial veto).

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946 Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946 Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:45 am

DWags wrote:The best part of this is it will bring way more people to the polls than the Republicans wanted. At least that's my hope.
yep.

If voting didn't matter, the patriotic 'pro-life' christian right wouldn't be doing everything they can to prevent people from voting.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:55 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:Over 750,000 signatures on the petitions. Isn't this where the legislature steps in and makes it law according to this:

Michigan is one of 18 states that allows for indirect statutory initiative. This allows ballot proponents to submit a proposed law to the legislature if they collect enough signatures to qualify for the ballot. If the legislature does not choose to approve the law, the ballot question is submitted to the voters. If they do approve it within 40 days, it becomes law without a vote of the people or approval of the governor (it is not subject to a gubernatorial veto).

Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946 Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946 Reproductive rights will be on the ballot November 8 in Michigan.  1966794946

That is true for proposals for laws, however, this is a proposal to change the State Constitution ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:20 am

Waiting for the GOP majority MI House and Senate file a law suit or pass bum’s rush legislation to delay the ballot measure or nullify the results if it appears.

It goes to women’s rights and if the GOP and their Christian government fans on the SCOTUS get their way, it’s just the first step in discriminating against women for a myriad of things.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:56 pm

Looks like Reproductive Care (Abortion Rights) & Voting Access (Early Voting, Drop Boxes etc.) changes to the Michigan Constitution will be on the November Ballot.

Both with way over the needed signatures at 753,759 & 669,972.

The only Conservative proposal to make it will be a change to the term limits, and that due to the legislature.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/whats-next-abortion-rights-early-voting-ballot-initiatives-michigan
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:03 pm

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-health-michigan-gretchen-whitmer-state-courts-52cdc0f365267808fb0832987a662309
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:24 pm

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/michigan-early-voting-ballot-measure-likely-headed-court-board-deadlocks

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/08/abortion-rights-proposal-likely-headed-to-court-after-michigan-canvassers-dont-certify.html

GD Republicans acting beyond their authority.

“We had more than 730,000 people who read, signed and understood what they signed. The board was supposed to do one thing today and affirm that we had the signatures, their own bureau said we did.

Supporters of another initiative that didn’t make the ballot Wednesday — a measure to expand voting, including adding ballot drop boxes — also are expected to appeal to the Supreme Court. Groups have seven business days to appeal and the ballot must be finalized by Sept. 9.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-2022-midterm-elections-us-supreme-court-health-michigan-4888105cd9fe270786420c150e18c8b3?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_7
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:59 pm

It's almost like white men don't want people to vote. 🤔

By the way, this is a preview of the anti-democracy election deniers you'll see in 2022 and 2024. Get used to it. They're not going away until decent Americans snuff them out and it ain't gonna be easy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 pm

Everything the repukes have ever said about this is a lie!

Repukes: we must overturn RvW because this is about State's rights!

Michigan: okay, let's vote on it as an amendment to the State Constitution.

Repukes: that's not what we meant though...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, sεяεηιτλ and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:05 am

Motown Spartan wrote:Everything the repukes have ever said about this is a lie!

Repukes: we must overturn RvW because this is about State's rights!

Michigan: okay, let's vote on it as an amendment to the State Constitution.

Repukes: that's not what we meant though...

Repukes is okay, I prefer Batschit Crazy Party though.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:33 am

Somewhere I thought I had read, maybe during the 2020 election certification, that the BOC doesn't have the power to vote on wording or effects of petitions if passed.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am

Trapper Gus wrote:Somewhere I thought I had read, maybe during the 2020 election certification, that the BOC doesn't have the power to vote on wording or effects of petitions if passed.

It's here under PETITIONS - Staff Report - Reproductive Freedom For All

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/elections/bsc

Staff makes no recommendation as to the merits of these legal arguments as they pertain to the substance of the petition. Courts in Michigan have found that the board’s duty is limited to determining whether the form of the petition complies with the statutory requirements and whether there are sufficient signatures to warrant certification of the proposal. Citizens for Prot of Marriage v Bd of State Canvassers, 263 Mich App 487, 492 (2004), citing Ferency v Secretary of State, 409 Mich 569 (1980); Council About Parochiaid v Secretary of State, 403 Mich 396 (1978); Leininger v Secretary of State, 316 Mich 644 (1947). The duties of the Board of State Canvassers are “purely ministerial and clerical.” McLeod v State Bd of Canvassers, 304 Mich 120 (1942).6
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:34 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Somewhere I thought I had read, maybe during the 2020 election certification, that the BOC doesn't have the power to vote on wording or effects of petitions if passed.

Staff makes no recommendation as to the merits of these legal arguments as they pertain to the substance of the petition. Courts in Michigan have found that the board’s duty is limited to determining whether the form of the petition complies with the statutory requirements and whether there are sufficient signatures to warrant certification of the proposal. Citizens for Prot of Marriage v Bd of State Canvassers, 263 Mich App 487, 492 (2004), citing Ferency v Secretary of State, 409 Mich 569 (1980); Council About Parochiaid v Secretary of State, 403 Mich 396 (1978); Leininger v Secretary of State, 316 Mich 644 (1947). The duties of the Board of State Canvassers are “purely ministerial and clerical.” McLeod v State Bd of Canvassers, 304 Mich 120 (1942).6

Thank you!

Can the words running together count as "the form of the petition"?

Also, the words run together were on the approved proof so what standing does the BOC have to challenge them now?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:15 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

Thank you!

Can the words running together count as "the form of the petition"?

Also, the words run together were on the approved proof so what standing does the BOC have to challenge them now?

Right, they approved the wording and now they're not approving the wording? We'll see what happens in court, but if all is fair I would presume the court will side with the petitioners.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:24 am

It also confuses me that they are going against the advice of their staff, seems like they are out on their own sinking ship by themselves.

Looks like a political stunt to gin up the Republican voters to me.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:35 am

Trapper Gus wrote:It also confuses me that they are going against the advice of their staff, seems like they are out on their own sinking ship by themselves.

all the GOP has is whining, faux outrage, and corruption. I don't think they really need to gin anyone up.. the christian knuckle-scrapers are going to vote no matter what. What decent folks who love their families and respect democracy need to do is to stay engaged and vote.

There are more of us than there are of them - we just need to stay engaged and drown out the noise. The GOP is relying on decent people just becoming so disgusted/disillusioned with the system that they stay home.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:39 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:It also confuses me that they are going against the advice of their staff, seems like they are out on their own sinking ship by themselves.

all the GOP has is whining, faux outrage, and corruption. I don't think they really need to gin anyone up.. the christian knuckle-scrapers are going to vote no matter what. What decent folks who love their families and respect democracy need to do is to stay engaged and vote.

There are more of us than there are of them - we just need to stay engaged and drown out the noise. The GOP is relying on decent people just becoming so disgusted/disillusioned with the system that they stay home.

The Republicans have created a mob.  The danger is that the mob will turn on them.  In fact, it has turned on them, led by Trump.

Now their only choice is to keep throwing more red meat to the mob.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:15 pm

Judge strikes down 1931 Michigan law criminalizing abortion

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-michigan-constitutions-supreme-court-707465a9ec614d3c1d7599b6843c3189?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_6

edit - also can across this article on how most human embryos die after conception, which creates issues for the "the soul is created at conception" side.

https://theconversation.com/most-human-embryos-naturally-die-after-conception-restrictive-abortion-laws-fail-to-take-this-embryo-loss-into-account-187904
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:33 am

Trapper Gus wrote:Judge strikes down 1931 Michigan law criminalizing abortion

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-michigan-constitutions-supreme-court-707465a9ec614d3c1d7599b6843c3189?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_6

edit - also can across this article on how most human embryos die after conception, which creates issues for the "the soul is created at conception" side.

https://theconversation.com/most-human-embryos-naturally-die-after-conception-restrictive-abortion-laws-fail-to-take-this-embryo-loss-into-account-187904

This has been known for a long time as well as the fact that ~ 8-15 % of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. If you are going to call a fetus a person from a fundamentalist religious perspective (that is anyone's prerogative) and call Planned Parenthood a baby killer then you also have to accept that the deity is the number one baby killer. If you are going to give the same personhood to a blastocyst, well then the competition is not close.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:45 am

Rick Saunders wrote:

This has been known for a long time as well as the fact that ~ 8-15 % of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. If you are going to call a fetus a person from a fundamentalist religious perspective (that is anyone's prerogative) and call Planned Parenthood a baby killer then you also have to accept that the deity is the number one baby killer. If you are going to give the same personhood to a blastocyst, well then the competition is not close.

It is well known by science, however, the anti-abortion people are blind to it.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 am

Rick Saunders wrote:

They would just come back with "it's god's plan" if you accused their invisible leader of something like that.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:33 am

Rick Saunders wrote:

They would just come back with "it's god's plan" if you accused their invisible leader of something like that.

Sort of hard for them to argue logically that most souls are going directly to whatever destination they believe is there without being born.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:47 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:

Sort of hard for them to argue logically that most souls are going directly to whatever destination they believe is there without being born.

I'm not real sure they've ever been able to argue logically about their beliefs.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:34 pm

[tw]1567939138116100096?s=21&t=1qSLU94Tf0bHiN5Pokn-Pg[/tw]
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:46 pm

SC puts the ballot proposal back on.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:53 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:SC puts the ballot proposal back on.

Should have put this in this thread ...

The Michigan Supreme Court has ordered that the Board of State Canvassers to certify the Reproductive Freedom
For All (RFFA) petition.

The Michigan Supreme Court has ordered that the Board of State Canvassers to certify the Promote the Vote petition.

https://www.courts.michigan.gov/4a5828/siteassets/case-documents/briefs/msc/2022-2023/164760/164760-2022-09-08-or.pdf

https://www.courts.michigan.gov/4a54ab/siteassets/case-documents/uploads/sct/public/orders/164755_18_01.pdf

edit - however, what happens if the Republicans refuse still?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Great news for Michigan families, strong, independent women and those of us who love and support them.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:26 pm

Sort of important that this was a bipartisan ruling

Republican Justice Elizabeth Clement joined the court’s four Democrats in upholding the proposal.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 am

ed that the Board of State Canvassers to certify the Reproductive Freedom
For All (RFFA) petition.

Law breakers shall be punished by the law

Great news.

Just when i thought i have heard the most asinine thing to come out of the republican camp, something absurd like this "spacing issue" comes along and blows the old crazy thing out of the water.

These people have literally become lawless criminals that only want them and their ilk to obtain and wield power. They must be stopped
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:46 am

Voting rights act also ruled to be put on the ballot
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:18 am

FWIW A proposal to change term limits will also be on the ballot.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next