Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread

+13
Robert J Sakimano
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
The Pantry
InTenSity
Dendrobates
Nordic
DWags
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Heat Miser
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 Empty Re: I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread

Post by The Pantry 2022-08-28, 19:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Lazy posting. You really need to step up your game heading into this season.
Lazy reading/clicking from you.
Sorry your phone shows blue text for non-titled links.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 Empty Re: I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-28, 21:01

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Lazy reading/clicking from you.
Sorry your phone shows blue text for non-titled links.

Its a cross I have to bear.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-08-28, 23:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 2599972566
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 Screen15

Either way, he still posts the title of the article.

Green for me. You must be a Blue.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-29, 06:25

Nordic wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 2599972566
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 Screen15

Either way, he still posts the title of the article.

Green for me. You must be a Blue.

Dammit, I've been outed.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 08:14

It's behind a paywall. MSU content from local papers seems like it is increasingly behind a paywall. I don't like it.

[tw]1564216554337738752?s=20&t=LMbpRzsGyY73_qiVnP7rZw[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-08-29, 08:33

Pantry, this is a weird hill you're dying on. No one else cares.

I think you need a vacation.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-29, 08:51

arranging the tailgate scene with our usual crew.

gonna be a good Friday.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-08-29, 09:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:arranging the tailgate scene with our usual crew.

gonna be a good Friday.

We’re going tailgate light. Gonna break it down before the game and most will be scattering to summer places immediately after.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-08-29, 09:10

Turtleneck wrote:It's behind a paywall. MSU content from local papers seems like it is increasingly behind a paywall. I don't like it.

[tw]1564216554337738752?s=20&t=LMbpRzsGyY73_qiVnP7rZw[/tw]

State Journal is now $3.49 for the daily paper edition.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 10:00

[ig]Ch2ANtqu5be[/ig]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 10:06

A pretty good rundown of key WMU players from an SJSU site.

Is the guy who will have the pleasure of covering JR?

Jackson played as actively as any defensive back in the MAC last year, breaking up 12 passes while pulling down two interceptions and adding 25 total tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. If San Jose State looks to re-establishing its aerial bonafides, he’s the most likely candidate to gum up those plans on gameday.

Running backs should be solid, so hopefully a good early season test from the DL and LB

Salopek’s development will be key, but the running back tandem of Tyler and La’Darius Jefferson (185 carries, 836 yards, ten touchdowns) is probably the most talented in the MAC. Having Crooms down the field to generate big plays will also help, but he’s the only wide receiver or tight end who had even ten receptions a year ago. Big things will be expected of former three-star recruits like Kaevion Mack and Henry Wilson Jr.

WMU Defense

While the offense cooked, the defense ended up being more lukewarm despite some standout individual performances. The Broncos finished 90th nationally in yards per play allowed, 78th in points per drive allowed, and 66th in available yards percentage allowed per drive. What they did well was create havoc, finishing third in the country with a 10.8% sack rate and sixth with a 23.8% stuff rate, but that was with Ralph Holley and Ali Fayad, both of whom are now gone.

There are more than a few candidates to replace their production, though, not just Moment but also linebacker Zaire Barnes (68 tackles, seven tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks) and defensive linemen Braden Fiske (eight TFLs, four sacks) and Marshaun Kneeland (eight TFLs, 4.5 sacks). One other area they’ll look for improvement within is in creating turnovers since their 13 takeaways was the fewest in a full season since at least 2009, and much of that came down to a secondary which paced the MAC with a 55.1% opponents’ completion rate but had just four interceptions.

To that end, Jackson’s production could go a long way but transfers like Delano Ware (Illinois) and Therran Coleman (Pitt), as well as returns to form from returning Broncos like Bricen Garner, could lead to a rebound.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/san-jose-state-football-first-191219295.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 10:07

New WMU football coordinator bringing Greg Jennings-era schemes to offense

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2022/08/new-wmu-football-coordinator-bringing-greg-jennings-era-schemes-to-offense.html

Big Ten, ACC transfers add talent, experience to WMU football WR room

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-ten-acc-transfers-add-talent-experience-to-wmu-football-wr-room/ar-AA10lJaI
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-29, 13:26

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:arranging the tailgate scene with our usual crew.

gonna be a good Friday.

We’re going tailgate light. Gonna break it down before the game and most will be scattering to summer places immediately after.
sweet - usual spot for your tailgate??

we'll be walking back home once SMB enters the stadium. Can always make it back before kickoff. I've been through the desert on a horse with no name: Western Michigan pregame thread - Page 2 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 16:55

How Mel Tucker is preparing Michigan State football for new-look Western Michigan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/how-mel-tucker-is-preparing-michigan-state-football-for-new-look-western-michigan/ar-AA11eIUC

Mel Tucker preparing Michigan State for unknowns in opener vs. Western Michigan

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2022/08/mel-tucker-preparing-michigan-state-for-unknowns-in-opener-vs-western-michigan.html

Expectations high as No. 15 Michigan State hosts Western Michigan

https://www.lindyssports.com/college-football/article/headline/expectations-high-as-no-15-michigan-state-hosts-western-michigan/539528/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-08-29, 17:50

Dendrobates wrote:Pantry, this is a weird hill you're dying on. No one else cares.

I think you need a vacation.
No hill. He demands excellence out of us. I demand excellence out of him.

Good luck with your fantasy draft. Pick up Beckham in one of the late rounds.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-08-29, 19:33

Turtleneck wrote:
La’Darius Jefferson (185 carries, 836 yards, ten touchdowns)

Things just got interesting
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 20:38

[tw]1564338206354677760?s=20&t=Exdy-S5ClgIIYszzPRN7Mg[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 20:45

Nordic wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
La’Darius Jefferson (185 carries, 836 yards, ten touchdowns)

Things just got interesting

It was mentioned on the previous page somewhere. A former Spartan in the mix. They also have a couple of Power 5 WR transfers from Wisconsin and Boston College. The Wisconsin transfer was a 3* recruit at West Bloomfield. The transfer from Boston College had a decent freshman year, but his production dropped off last year.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-29, 22:01

Tucker looking to head off distractions for Thorne in opener

https://michiganstate.rivals.com/news/tucker-looking-to-head-off-distractions-for-thorne-in-opener
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2022-08-29, 23:10

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1564338206354677760?s=20&t=Exdy-S5ClgIIYszzPRN7Mg[/tw]

I love it that the biggest programs in the MSU athletic department have such great leadership. Not the Urban Meyer let's-bring-in-a-leadership-consultant nonsense, but smart and thoughtful people who are comfortable setting standards and holding people accountable. The stuff about the headset chatter starting around 22:45 in that video is funny, and it shows that he has standards for everything - and as the players occasionally repeat when talking to the media, "The standard is the standard."
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Dendrobates, DWags and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-30, 08:38

Mel Tucker won't let the Spartans overlook Western Michigan in season-opener

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/mel-tucker-wont-let-the-spartans-overlook-western-michigan-in-season-opener/ar-AA11fPHW

Notes & Quotes: Michigan State is totally focused on Western Michigan

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/8/29/23328004/notes-quotes-michigan-state-spartans-focused-on-western-michigan-broncos
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-30, 17:32

WMU projected TE starter to miss season-opening game vs. Michigan State

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2022/08/wmu-projected-te-starter-to-miss-season-opening-game-vs-michigan-state.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-30, 17:33

Tom Izzo stops by Michigan State football practice as kickoff nears

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2022/08/tom-izzo-stops-by-michigan-state-football-practice-as-kickoff-nears.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-30, 17:34

No, Michigan State QB Payton Thorne doesn't know what his dad will run for WMU

https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2022/08/30/michigan-state-football-payton-thorne-western-michigan-father/7942957001/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-30, 19:25

Michigan State football stars Jayden Reed, Payton Thorne know Western Michigan pretty well

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2022/08/30/michigan-state-football-jayden-reed-payton-thorne-know-western-michigan/65464945007/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 09:05

Michigan State’s Jayden Reed starts anticipated senior season with matchup vs. former school

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/michigan-state-e2-80-99s-jayden-reed-starts-anticipated-senior-season-with-matchup-vs-former-school/ar-AA11jc01

Michigan State QB Payton Thorne’s competition with dad moving to new level

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/michigan-state-qb-payton-thorne-e2-80-99s-competition-with-dad-moving-to-new-level/ar-AA11jkcB
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 09:15

It’s Michigan State’s defense vs. Jeff Thorne’s Western Michigan offense in Friday’s season opener

At the quarterback spot, Western Michigan is going with redshirt freshman Jack Salopek. While he doesn’t have the zip that Eleby had, Salopek has pinpoint accuracy. If Western Michigan wants to win, maybe taking Purdue’s 2021 approach will be suitable; execute plays designed heavily on screens and short passes to drive the ball downfield.

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/8/30/23327630/michigan-state-defense-versus-jeff-thornes-western-michigan-offense-friday-season-opener

Norwin alumnus Jack Salopek ready to lead Western Michigan

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other-colleges/2022/08/30/norwin-alum-jack-salopek-quarterback-western-michigan-broncos-michigan-state-espn/stories/202208310024
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-08-31, 09:43

Holy articles batman!

I want to read them all, but I don't have time for it all.
Suggested top ones to read?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 10:43

I sort of like the ones about Thorn and his dad and Reed and WMU. Not matchup stuff, but build some added excitement around the game.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 16:52

[tw]1565070881499627522?s=20&t=PSjHetpAbUHTz-og3Rb3kw[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 16:56

Get to Know the Opponent: Western Michigan

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/8/31/23330530/get-to-know-the-opponent-western-michigan-broncos-michigan-state-spartans

Know Your Opponent: Scouting the Western Michigan Broncos

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/know-your-opponent-scouting-the-western-michigan-broncos/ar-AA11k0J8

Listen to Mel Tucker Show on Wednesday Night

https://msuspartans.com/news/2022/8/31/football-listen-to-mel-tucker-show-on-wednesday-night.aspx

Western Michigan Opens Season at No. 15/14 Michigan State

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2022/8/31/football-western-michigan-opens-season-at-no-15-14-michigan-state.aspx
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-31, 21:53

#15 Michigan State vs. Western Michigan prediction and best bets: Friday, 9/2

https://www.mlive.com/betting/2022/08/15-michigan-state-vs-western-michigan-prediction-and-best-bets-friday-92.html

Western Michigan vs. Michigan State Football Prediction and Preview

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/western-michigan-broncos-vs-michigan-state-spartans-prediction-picks-2022
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-09-01, 08:03

Michigan State vs. Western Michigan odds, prediction: 2022 Week 1 college football picks by model on 45-32 run

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-talks-reignite-friday-meeting-could-create-larger-field-as-soon-as-2024/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-09-01, 16:04

Where is this week’s kit reveal video turtleneck is the athletic department not #focused
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-09-01, 17:03

Jeees Travis, it's uniforms. We have uniforms in the US.

Focus.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2022-09-01, 17:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Where is this week’s kit reveal video turtleneck is the athletic department not #focused

Pretty sweet:
[tw]1565088075037933568[/tw]
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-09-01, 17:16

If this thread becomes about soccer, we're definitely not covering. Get your shit together, guys.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-09-01, 18:35

Father against son? Michigan State-Western Michigan football all about family

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34409710/father-son-michigan-state-western-michigan-football-all-family
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-09-01, 18:37

5 Questions with Hustle Belt: How can Western Michigan upset Michigan State?

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/9/1/23331839/5-questions-with-hustle-belt-how-can-western-michigan-broncos-upset-michigan-state-spartans

Game Preview: Western Michigan Broncos vs. Michigan State Spartans

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/9/1/23324772/game-preview-western-michigan-broncos-versus-michigan-state-spartans-2022
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-09-01, 18:41

Green Room podcast is back: Matt, Tony break down MSU's season, WMU opener

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/podcasts/green-room/2022/09/01/green-room-podcast-back-matt-tony-break-down-msus-season-wmu-opener/7956427001/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next