Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT - Should I or Shouldn't I? XM Radio for my car only

+7
PinkyTuscadero
Snake Plissken
beal99
Jake from State Farm
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
MasonGuy
11 posters

Go down

OT - Should I or Shouldn't I?  XM Radio for my car only Empty OT - Should I or Shouldn't I? XM Radio for my car only

Post by MasonGuy 2014-08-06, 09:44

My most recent vehicle comes with XM radio installed but I have to subscribe to the service. I normally have an iPod dedicated to the car, but now maybe it is time to change. The only problem is, unless I am willing to spend $18.95 a month so I can stream it online - only the car will have tunes. You all know how cheap I am so I am asking - Is there value here that I don't realize?

Should I or Shouldn't I?
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

OT - Should I or Shouldn't I?  XM Radio for my car only Empty Re: OT - Should I or Shouldn't I? XM Radio for my car only

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-06, 09:46

I wouldn't do it - it's a trap.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

OT - Should I or Shouldn't I?  XM Radio for my car only Empty Re: OT - Should I or Shouldn't I? XM Radio for my car only

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-06, 10:03

All depends. Do you think stern is the greatest thing ever? If so it's worth it. If not don't since OA will be gone by October and the rest of the talking heads have extreme coaster mindsets.

....and pretty sure you can get all sports via your smartphone anymore
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-06, 10:14

I've had it for years now. Wouldn't go back to terrestrial radio, and no, I don't listen to Stern. I've also got a cheap Virgin Mobile phone that only costs me $25/month and the service is iffy in some of the places I frequent. I don't mind paying the $100 every six months instead of $70 or $80/month for a better phone on a different carrier. Should have bought the lifetime subscription when I had the chance. I use an ipod occasionally but I don't have a boatload of tunes on it, so that gets old pretty fast.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-08-06, 10:51

do it, especially if you drive a bunch
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-08-06, 10:56

beal99 wrote:do it, especially if you drive a bunch
This. I haven't listened to radio in years. 70's, 80's and Hair Nation for me baby!
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-08-06, 11:01

I hate paying for more subscriptions - Netflix, Verizon Wireless, Comast and now this but you have probably won me over. I am currently in the 90 day trial period and am assuming that I will be assimilated soon.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-06, 11:08

Snake Plissken wrote:This. I haven't listened to radio in years. 70's, 80's and Hair Nation for me baby!

Ahhhh.....Pandora is free
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-08-06, 11:11

Blanch32 wrote:

not if you want the ad-free version
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-08-06, 11:12

Blanch32 wrote:

So you're poor? That's sad
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkyTuscadero 2014-08-06, 11:32

Huge Stern fan here. Howard 100 is a must have for me
PinkyTuscadero
PinkyTuscadero
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-08-06, 11:35

Do it.
I have SiriusXM in my car only and I love it. FM music stations suck and I find using my phone for bluetooth audio in the car to be annoying.

I don't listen to Stern. I occasionally listen to NPR on FM and my car has a built in MP3 HD so I play music through that too, but 90% of the time I listen to music on SXM when I'm in the car.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-06, 11:36

Snake Plissken wrote:So you're poor? That's sad

Unlike trcmb, I pay them for their SVC since a paid sub adds value
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-06, 11:37

PinkyTuscadero wrote:Huge Stern fan here. Howard 100 is a must have for me

Sincerely,

Old guy
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-08-06, 11:40

Blanch32 wrote:

Sincerely,

Old guy

It's ok if people like things that you don't.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-08-06, 11:44

Let the free trial run out. Then when they call you they will offer you a cheap ass rate for like 8 bucks a month for a year. Lather, rinse, repeat.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-08-06, 11:55

By-Tor wrote:Let the free trial run out.    Then when they call you they will offer you a cheap ass rate for like 8 bucks a month for a year.    Lather, rinse, repeat.  

Perfect. +1 for you sir. I should have thought of that on my own, but didn't and now I won't have to!
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-08-06, 12:17

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Not in Blanch world
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-06, 12:40

I have spotify and I wayyyy prefer it to radio of any sort. A smart phone pretty much trumps anything satellite can offer.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-08-06, 12:56

Ass Dan wrote:I have spotify and I wayyyy prefer it to radio of any sort. A smart phone pretty much trumps anything satellite can offer.

I fear data charges for streaming so much audio if/when I am out driving. Is that a baseless fear?
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Punk 2014-08-06, 13:32

MasonGuy wrote:My most recent vehicle comes with XM radio installed but I have to subscribe to the service.  I normally have an iPod dedicated to the car, but now maybe it is time to change.  The only problem is, unless I am willing to spend $18.95 a month so I can stream it online - only the car will have tunes.  You all know how cheap I am so I am asking - Is there value here that I don't realize?

Should I or Shouldn't I?
I had it back in 2006, after 6 month trial I renewed for about 2 years before I let it run out. Didn't really miss it. Just got a new car and have 6 month trial with it. Doesn't seem that much has changed. Will probably renew for a few years, but it's not a much have for me.

Once they got rid of the station I listened to the most, it's never been same. RIP Fungus 53.
Spartan Punk
Spartan Punk
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-06, 16:19

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Sincerely,

Another old dude
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down