Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How in the f*** does ebay work?

+12
Turtleneck
Brock Middlebrook
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
AMwood
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
MasonGuy
Rocinante
By-Tor
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
16 posters

Go down

How in the f*** does ebay work? Empty How in the f*** does ebay work?

Post by The Pantry Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 20:55

Have wanted a Weber Smokey Mountain for a while but, I'm cheap and didn't want to shell out the normal $300 plus tax for one at a retailer. Found a new, unopened, undamaged box 18.5 WSM up for bid on ebay a week ago this past weekend. Won it for $255 plus free shipping and the ebay money back guarantee. Only clinker was it wouldn't be delivered until between Aug 11 and 22...no big deal. Caught me by surprise to see it at the front door when I got home today.

It came as advertised...brand new and undamaged. The packing slip was a bit of a surprise though. The ebay seller was supposedly located in Connecticut. The packing slip says the WSM was purchased by someone in Sherman Oaks, CA last Sunday (a week after I won the bid) at full retail ($299+tax) from Lowes and shipped from Lowes in Indianapolis. WTF?

This is the first item I ever bought on ebay. Is it possible I'll get an extra bill from PayPal for the amount over the $255 I already paid?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How in the f*** does ebay work? Empty Re: How in the f*** does ebay work?

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 21:14

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but my last experience with ebay was in about 2008.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 21:24

You're fine, no worries.

Ebay is good for buyers but now sucks for sellers.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 21:36

eBay is still in business?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 23:58

LooseGoose wrote:You're fine, no worries.

This is the damn truth. I have had about 40% of my sales in the last 2 years go to reporting for mon-payment. People just bid and don't pay and there are no ramifications.

The guy you bought from probably uses a warehouse service. No worries. You won't be billed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 9:33

I sell easy to get rid of, leftover stuff on eBay all the time. I only accept paypal or money order before I ship.

Yesterday, after receiving a paypal payment, I shipped a broken cell phone to the Ukraine. Got $25 for the phone and $29.95 shipping and handling. It was worth it.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 9:35

MasonGuy wrote:I sell easy to get rid of, leftover stuff on eBay all the time.  I only accept paypal or money order before I ship.  

Yesterday, after receiving a paypal payment,  I shipped a broken cell phone to the Ukraine.  Got $25 for the phone and $29.95 shipping and handling.  It was worth it.
Donetsk don't tell..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 9:39

The Pantry wrote:Have wanted a Weber Smokey Mountain for a while but, I'm cheap and didn't want to shell out the normal $300 plus tax for one at a retailer. Found a new, unopened, undamaged box 18.5 WSM up for bid on ebay a week ago this past weekend. Won it for $255 plus free shipping and the ebay money back guarantee. Only clinker was it wouldn't be delivered until between Aug 11 and 22...no big deal. Caught me by surprise to see it at the front door when I got home today.

It came as advertised...brand new and undamaged. The packing slip was a bit of a surprise though. The ebay seller was supposedly located in Connecticut. The packing slip says the WSM was purchased by someone in Sherman Oaks, CA last Sunday (a week after I won the bid) at full retail ($299+tax) from Lowes and shipped from Lowes in Indianapolis. WTF?

This is the first item I ever bought on ebay. Is it possible I'll get an extra bill from PayPal for the amount over the $255 I already paid?

Thing was stolen. Theifs are using Ebay to drop goods. you're fine. Lowes writes it off, thief gets money, you get WSM, everyone wins.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 9:41

it works a lot like magnets.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 10:05

The internet? That thing is still around?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 10:12

You're fine, old man.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 11:14

AMwood wrote:it works a lot like magnets.

Once the buy and seller connect, it's hard to pull them apart? Uh oh, bad news for you OP.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 7 Aug 2014 - 11:49

DWags wrote:

Thing was stolen.   Theifs are using Ebay to drop goods.   you're fine.  Lowes writes it off, thief gets money, you get WSM, everyone wins.  

They just write it off

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 11:39

Since you guys are pretty much useless as tits on a bull I posted the question on another forum and got this plausible response:

"A person will list an item on Ebay, usually at a greatly reduced price, without actually having the item. Once the winning bidder sends their address, the seller will use stolen credit card information to purchase the item from a website, giving the Ebay buyer's shipping address and the stolen credit card info as the billing address.

This way they get cash, and the items purchased on the stolen credit card go to you. It would still be possible for the police/banks to track them down, but they can shop on Lowes.com from Russia/China and police won't spend the time to hunt them down.

I'm not saying this to worry you or anything, there are probably a dozen other scenarios that could explain it as well. But it is just something to keep in mind, save your Ebay receipts, the packing list and print the ebay listing just in case.

Chances are the seller is overseas, and not in Connecticut, and he used stolen credit card information from someone who lives in Sherman Oaks, CA but put your address as the ship to address so it shipped from the Lowes distribution center closest to you.

You can search for "Ebay Triangulation Scam" if you'd like to read more, but I can't say what the correct way to handle it is. Paypal and Ebay don't care, because they both got paid, the seller will likely ignore your emails, and you got your item. So the only person out of anything is the bank/retailer/victim of the credit card scam."

_________

Looked at packing slip again. The scammer played with the shipping address too for some reason. Fucked up my name, putting my last name first and misspelled both my first and last names badly. They also added a letter to the numbers of my street address making it seem like an apartment. There was pretty much just enough correct information (zip code & street name) to get the delivery here.

Out of curiosity looked up the address of the person that supposedly made the purchase on google street view. Nice place, nice neighborhood. Dual attached garages and a circular driveway with gates on both ends. The house next door is awesome
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 11:49

The Pantry wrote:Since you guys are pretty much useless as tits on a bull I posted the question on another forum and got this plausible response:

"A person will list an item on Ebay, usually at a greatly reduced price, without actually having the item. Once the winning bidder sends their address, the seller will use stolen credit card information to purchase the item from a website, giving the Ebay buyer's shipping address and the stolen credit card info as the billing address.

This way they get cash, and the items purchased on the stolen credit card go to you. It would still be possible for the police/banks to track them down, but they can shop on Lowes.com from Russia/China and police won't spend the time to hunt them down.

I'm not saying this to worry you or anything, there are probably a dozen other scenarios that could explain it as well. But it is just something to keep in mind, save your Ebay receipts, the packing list and print the ebay listing just in case.

Chances are the seller is overseas, and not in Connecticut, and he used stolen credit card information from someone who lives in Sherman Oaks, CA but put your address as the ship to address so it shipped from the Lowes distribution center closest to you.

You can search for "Ebay Triangulation Scam" if you'd like to read more, but I can't say what the correct way to handle it is. Paypal and Ebay don't care, because they both got paid, the seller will likely ignore your emails, and you got your item. So the only person out of anything is the bank/retailer/victim of the credit card scam."

_________

Looked at packing slip again.  The scammer played with the shipping address too for some reason.  Fucked up my name, putting my last name first and misspelled both my first and last names badly.  They also added a letter to the numbers of my street address making it seem like an apartment.  There was pretty much just enough correct information (zip code & street name) to get the delivery here.

Out of curiosity looked up the address of the person that supposedly made the purchase on google street view.  Nice place, nice neighborhood.  Dual attached garages and a circular driveway with gates on both ends. The house next door is awesome

So, you didn't read my response? I think I was close enough to not be considered as a tit on a bull.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 12:02

The Pantry wrote:Since you guys are pretty much useless as tits on a bull I posted the question on another forum and got this plausible response:

_________

Looked at packing slip again.  The scammer played with the shipping address too for some reason.  Fucked up my name, putting my last name first and misspelled both my first and last names badly.  They also added a letter to the numbers of my street address making it seem like an apartment.  There was pretty much just enough correct information (zip code & street name) to get the delivery here.

Out of curiosity looked up the address of the person that supposedly made the purchase on google street view.  Nice place, nice neighborhood.  Dual attached garages and a circular driveway with gates on both ends. The house next door is awesome

Sounds to me like you're wrapped up in an international conspiracy. You should flee the country ASAP.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 12:31

What was the seller's feedback rating?

Seems like a textbook item for this type of crime. High demand item and no one gets too twerked up about $300.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 12:45

MSU addict wrote:What was the seller's feedback rating?

Seems like a textbook item for this type of crime.  High demand item and no one gets too twerked up about $300.
Weird. Looks like they hadn't sold anything in 3 years until a little flurry of WSM auctions late last month. Reading through past history, they use to sell cosmetics and shit

How in the f*** does ebay work? Ebay210
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 13:08

Turtleneck wrote:

Sounds to me like you're wrapped up in an international conspiracy. You should flee the country ASAP.
I like Canada
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 13:11

DWags wrote:

So, you didn't read my response?  I think I was close enough to not be considered as a tit on a bull.
Wasn't physically stolen. No cigar, Tits DoSag  How in the f*** does ebay work? 506486848 
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 13:14

The Pantry wrote:
I like Canada

Communist countries make good hiding spots.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 13:34

The Pantry wrote:
Wasn't physically stolen.  No cigar, Tits DoSag   How in the f*** does ebay work? 506486848 

Fucker!!!! I hope you get busted for taking hot merchandise.  How in the f*** does ebay work? 2809484752 How in the f*** does ebay work? 901027492 How in the f*** does ebay work? 905083632 
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 13:57

The Pantry wrote:
Weird.  Looks like they hadn't sold anything in 3 years until a little flurry of WSM auctions late last month.  Reading through past history, they use to sell cosmetics and shit
Looks like a stolen eBay account as well.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 14:34

MSU addict wrote:
Looks like a stolen eBay account as well.
How does that happen? Insider at ebay?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 14:50

The Pantry wrote:
How does that happen?  Insider at ebay?

They bought some of the millions of stolen passwords the Russkies own.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 19:57

The Pantry wrote:
How does that happen?  Insider at ebay?
eBay announced in May that their database had been hacked.  They were pretty nonspecific and didn't bother to make an announcement until two months after it happened, but the general belief was the hackers pretty much got all user names, email addresses and some personal data but no credit card info.  The password information they got may or may not have been encrypted.   They asked everyone to change their password and to change the password of any site where you use the same name and password, say maybe- amazon or paypal.  

http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-hacked-requests-all-users-change-passwords/
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Sun 10 Aug 2014 - 10:47

_________

Thank goodness for other forums
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Sun 10 Aug 2014 - 11:00

Karma police gonna give you salmonella from that shit.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 14:54

LooseGoose wrote:You're fine, no worries.

This. People have fucked me over, as a seller, numerous times in the past year or two. I tried selling an iPhone, and some dumb bitch said she couldn't afford to pay for it. You ****, YOU BID $300 ON THE ITEM!!!!!!!!! Moran.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 14:55

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

This. People have fucked me over, as a seller, numerous times in the past year or two. I tried selling an iPhone, and some dumb bitch said she couldn't afford to pay for it. You ****, YOU BID $300 ON THE ITEM!!!!!!!!! Moran.

At least she contacted you. Most of mine just don't pay and there are no consequences.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 15:46

Rocinante wrote:

At least she contacted you.  Most of mine just don't pay and there are no consequences.  

The best part was that she reported me for "threatening" her because I said she has to pay. Then, I got docked negative points on my selling score because she gave me a negative review somehow. I contacted ebay through some rigorous, bullshit process and the negative review was removed asap and then she got a temporary ban I think. Wasn't justice, though. She was dumb.

And that actually happened twice with the same exact iPhone, with two people bidding and winning and not paying. Such a pain in the ass. I sold it finally but it took a month.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 16:23

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

The best part was that she reported me for "threatening" her because I said she has to pay. Then, I got docked negative points on my selling score because she gave me a negative review somehow. I contacted ebay through some rigorous, bullshit process and the negative review was removed asap and then she got a temporary ban I think. Wasn't justice, though. She was dumb.

And that actually happened twice with the same exact iPhone, with two people bidding and winning and not paying. Such a pain in the ass. I sold it finally but it took a month.

I got slapped with a neg from a guy that had buyer's remorse. Stupidly, I give the option of no questions asked returns, buyer pays return shipping. Well this dude wanted to return what he bought PLUS he wanted me to pay the return shipping. Nothing wrong with it, lots of pics in the listing to look at, detailed description, etc....he just didn't want it anymore after he got it. I held to my policy, told him I have no problem w/him returning the item and refunding his money but the return shipping was his obligation. He thinks that's not fair (why should HE lose money if he wants to return it he says, lol) and opens a case, I follow along fully knowing he's gonna lose. Last minute before it escalates to ebay for review he closes the case and sends confirmation that he's shipped back out the item. well, it turns out he's still able to leave negative feedback and he does. How in the f*** does ebay work? 901027492  Looking back I shoulda just paid the 5 bucks return shipping and be done w/that prick....but I just couldn't because I didn't do anything wrong. Of course ebay never returned any of my emails about removing the neg feedback. the only thing I was able to do was block that particular seller from bidding in the future....wow, big deal. lol
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 16:25

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

You should just use your old iPhones as coasters and peperweights, like the Middlebrooks.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 16:26

goodbar wrote:

I got slapped with a neg from a guy that had buyer's remorse.  Stupidly, I give the option of no questions asked returns, buyer pays return shipping.  Well this dude wanted to return what he bought PLUS he wanted me to pay the return shipping. Nothing wrong with it, lots of pics in the listing to look at, detailed description, etc....he just didn't want it anymore after he got it.  I held to my policy, told him I have no problem w/him returning the item and refunding his money but the return shipping was his obligation.  He thinks that's not fair (why should HE lose money if he wants to return it he says, lol) and opens a case, I follow along fully knowing he's gonna lose.  Last minute before it escalates to ebay for review he closes the case and sends confirmation that he's shipped back out the item.  well, it turns out he's still able to leave negative feedback and he does. How in the f*** does ebay work? 901027492   Looking back I shoulda just paid the 5 bucks return shipping and be done w/that prick....but I just couldn't because I didn't do anything wrong.  Of course ebay never returned any of my emails about removing the neg feedback. the only thing I was able to do was block that particular seller from bidding in the future....wow, big deal. lol

It's really sad what eBay has become. Back in the day it was legit. Nowadays, people neg bomb for buyer's remorse and then don't give positive reviews for great transactions.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down