Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election) and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins?

+20
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
gomersbro
sεяεηιτλ
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
msugolfguy
Jake from State Farm
InTenSity
PennSpartan
Rick Saunders
Zurn
aualum06
Rocinante
Spartytruth
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
24 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 Empty Re: The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election) and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-23, 12:38

Cameron wrote:I don't think I qualify as young anymore, but as it stands today, I have no intention of voting for president in 2024.

I don't want Trump to win, but I really want Biden to lose.
I'm definitely not young anymore and, at this point, ya know.. I like my wife and daughter, getting out on my bike and trail running, but maybe a cataclysmic celestial event is what we deserve.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 Empty Re: The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election) and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins?

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-01-23, 12:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 Scree209

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/23/gen-z-less-religious-more-liberal-lgbtq

This has to be said, if the younger generations stay away from the polls Trump will win, even though by the polls more baby boomers will vote for Biden.
yeah - my 24 year old daughter is less than enthusiastic about voting for Biden and I suspect she speaks for a large percentage of her demographic.

however, she is astute enough to know that just because Biden is a willing supporter of genocide in Gaza, the prospect of 4 more years of the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator spells the end to American democracy, including her most focused issue.. simply being a woman under the rule of white supremacy and christian nationalism.

so.. luckily, she knows better than to not vote out of protest, but I do agree - if the 18-30 demographic stays home on Election Day, I hope they enjoyed an America where they had at least a few freedoms.

I know two early/mid 20s women pretty well like you and they feel and will act the same. Actually, I guess I feel like that too.

I said four years ago that I felt that Biden should have said straight out that he was a one-termer. I'm actually pretty pissed that he didn't do that because the whole point was for us to be in a better position today than we were then. Biden has done well as president, if imperfect, especially under the circumstances. But sometime we need a president or any candidate frankly who feels like they can trust the populace with their honesty and be willing to lose in giving it.

You're not wrong about stupid country etc. Bob, but as a whole the populace is ready for something to do together in a generally positive direction but have not been provided with the circumstances in this election to have that choice.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-23, 13:19

Rick Saunders wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
yeah - my 24 year old daughter is less than enthusiastic about voting for Biden and I suspect she speaks for a large percentage of her demographic.

however, she is astute enough to know that just because Biden is a willing supporter of genocide in Gaza, the prospect of 4 more years of the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator spells the end to American democracy, including her most focused issue.. simply being a woman under the rule of white supremacy and christian nationalism.

so.. luckily, she knows better than to not vote out of protest, but I do agree - if the 18-30 demographic stays home on Election Day, I hope they enjoyed an America where they had at least a few freedoms.

I know two early/mid 20s women pretty well like you and they feel and will act the same. Actually, I guess I feel like that too.

I said four years ago that I felt that Biden should have said straight out that he was a one-termer. I'm actually pretty pissed that he didn't do that because the whole point was for us to be in a better position today than we were then. Biden has done well as president, if imperfect, especially under the circumstances. But sometime we need a president or any candidate frankly who feels like they can trust the populace with their honesty and be willing to lose in giving it.

You're not wrong about stupid country etc. Bob, but as a whole the populace is ready for something to do together in a generally positive direction but have not been provided with the circumstances in this election to have that choice.
I hear ya and I 100% agree about Biden.

He's been amazing given the unprecedented 'amateur hour' chaos he came into. We all knew that the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator was going to be an absolute disaster but I don't think anyone knew the extent to the damage he would cause.

Biden came in, cleaned it up and America, while imperfect and has a long way to go, is on the right track. I agree that I wished he would've handed over the keys to the next generation of Democrats. Pelosi did that in the House and I will forever admire her for doing that. Just an amazing woman in general with her leadership, her commitment to public service and her common decency - for her to recognize that the time had come was absolutely the right thing to do.

I don't think either party's base is overly excited about the general election. With any luck, the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator will be in prison or dead from something.. like, syphilis. The mainstream media is guilty of their usual act, which is to drum up this imaginary support for him.. truth is, if the Democrat ticket was, say, Whitmer/Newsom, the base, including the 18-30 year old demographic, would be so energized, it would be palpable.

instead, the best decent America can hope for is that somehow Biden limps across the finish line not in 'success' but in prison/death and/or utter failure of his pathetic opponent.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 13:39

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Bob, I'm just as uninformed as the next guy, that would be you, however Biden is not a willing supporter of genocide in Gaza, he just doesn't have a better option in the Mideast other than to support Israel.  Been reading up on the situation as best I can, and it sounds like Irael wanted to go all out against everyone in the Mideast right after October 7th and Biden talked them down to "just" Gaza and tried to talk them into a more sensible response there.

Citation needed.

The United States, Israel’s closest ally, has provided strong military and political support for the campaign, but has increasingly called on Israel to scale back its assault and take steps toward establishing a Palestinian state after the war — a suggestion Netanyahu has soundly rejected.

Speaking during a nationally televised news conference Thursday, Netanyahu reiterated his longstanding opposition to a two-state solution, saying Israel “must have security control over the entire territory west of the Jordan River.”

On Friday, President Joe Biden and Netanyahu spoke by phone after a glaring, almost four-week gap in direct communication amid fundamental differences over their visions for Gaza once the war ends.

Biden, for his part, in Friday’s call reaffirmed his commitment to work toward helping the Palestinians move toward statehood.

In his interview, Eisenkot also confirmed that a preemptive strike against Lebanon’s Hezbollah militia was called off at the last minute during the early days of the war. He said he was among those arguing against such a strike in an Oct. 11 Cabinet meeting that he said left him hoarse from shouting.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-1-19-2024-e5f45fb7b14d3dc8ff64b0aee4b473aa

A month ago, The Wall Street Journal, reporting on the dramatic events of Oct. 11, said intervention by President Joe Biden was key to averting the strike. Israeli warplanes were in the air, awaiting orders, when Biden called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and told him to stand down, the report said, citing people familiar with the call.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hezbollah-preemptive-strike-averted-oct-11-a3c94f1e39485445e13f4af23b6b1e19

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-01-23, 14:05; edited 3 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 13:55

It confuses me, this dislike for a second Biden term.

To me it looks like Biden has gotten more done in his first term than Trump, Obana (in two), GW Bush (in two), Clinton, (in two), GHW Bush, or Carter did in office.  Reagan, maybe Nixon/Ford & LBJ are the only Presidents since WW2 whose results come close to measuring up to what Biden has gotten done.

It seems likely that he will also get a bipartisan deal of a Child Support tax credit for the poor & middle class and probably the passage of more money to support Ukraine with a bipartisan "fix" on border security/immigration before the end of this term.

He also, pointing directly at the younger generations, has been chipping away at fixing the student loan crisis, at this point he has created direct cancellation of about $130 Billion in student loans and has put the country strongly on track to transition from fossil fuels to green energy.

He has done all this with either slim majorities in the House & Senate (but held back by the filibuster) or with a Republican House, showing tremendous ability to maneuver politically, and with a hostile Supreme Court.

Why would you want someone with less skill, which what, as fine as Newsom(who has a huge blue majority in his legislature) or Whitmer are, would be?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-23, 15:04

Trapper Gus wrote:It confuses me, this dislike for a second Biden term.

To me it looks like Biden has gotten more done in his first term than Trump, Obana (in two), GW Bush (in two), Clinton, (in two), GHW Bush, or Carter did in office.  Reagan, maybe Nixon/Ford & LBJ are the only Presidents since WW2 whose results come close to measuring up to what Biden has gotten done.

It seems likely that he will also get a bipartisan deal of a Child Support tax credit for the poor & middle class and probably the passage of more money to support Ukraine with a bipartisan "fix" on border security/immigration before the end of this term.

He also, pointing directly at the younger generations, has been chipping away at fixing the student loan crisis, at this point he has created direct cancellation of about $130 Billion in student loans and has put the country strongly on track to transition from fossil fuels to green energy.

He has done all this with either slim majorities in the House & Senate (but held back by the filibuster) or with a Republican House, showing tremendous ability to maneuver politically, and with a hostile Supreme Court.

Why would you want someone with less skill, which what, as fine as Newsom(who has a huge blue majority in his legislature) or Whitmer are, would be?
I just think that Biden is on death's doorstep. Beyond his support of genocide, he's a good dude, a good man, a good family. A career public servant who has always put America first.

It's the same reason I sit in department meetings for an hour and half and never say a word. I've had my time, I've had my say.. I've chaired high level committees, done a lot of the process work, development, implementation, etc - I just think it's time for youthful energy and I like to see my younger colleagues guide ideas, conversations and look to me if they need any sort of institutional wisdom or historical context.

plus I'm not really paying attention to whatever is going on, anyway.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags, Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-01-23, 16:03

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I just think that Biden is on death's doorstep. Beyond his support of genocide, he's a good dude, a good man, a good family. A career public servant who has always put America first.

It's the same reason I sit in department meetings for an hour and half and never say a word. I've had my time, I've had my say.. I've chaired high level committees, done a lot of the process work, development, implementation, etc - I just think it's time for youthful energy and I like to see my younger colleagues guide ideas, conversations and look to me if they need any sort of institutional wisdom or historical context.

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 502811600 The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 502811600 The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 3493939353

That was literally me at today's department meeting. We have an outstanding crop of young faculty (30s and 40s, ok 50s too) in our department and it is their show now. I am still active and my experienced opinion is worthwhile information I am happy to provide but I shouldn't be a primary force shaping their careers when I've only got 8 years left in me.

Plus, my dad is sharp but he's 83. My mom is sharp but she's 82. My mother in law is bright but she's 85. In each and every one of them the difference of a year is way noticeable. The difference from five years ago is striking. They may each have another 10 years left in them. But what will those 10 years look like. Will they look like the last 5? I don't like overlaying my feelings about that on the presidency (or a seat in the house or senate for that matter either and your point about Pelosi is well taken).
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-23, 16:27

Because they (to the best of my knowledge) have not publicly declared themselves Zionists and are both likely to be alive in 2028. Not really all that complicated.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 16:28

So for you guys, I get it, sort of...

However, if you had the drive and energy would you feel the same?

Let's do the analogy...

In 1994 I was 40, and the first boomer President had been elected 2 years before. How was he elected? He beat the pants off a bunch of greatest generation politicians in the primary and went on to beat the pants off a genuine WW2 hero in the general. Next election he beat the pants off another genuine WW2 hero.

The point is that the political power is not something a generation is entitled to, as it seems some 40 year old people seem to think. Someone has to go out there and take it, no holds barred. If there were younger people who can wrest the power from Biden or Trump they sure haven't been able to, and no one, no matter what their age, has any obligation to "step aside" in the power game because it would be polite.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-23, 16:29

But then they can't claim to be serving their country, they can only claim to be serving their own ego. AKA the Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 16:30

Cameron wrote:

Because they (to the best of my knowledge) have not publicly declared themselves Zionists and are both likely to be alive in 2028. Not really all that complicated.

I understand that many many people are single issue people, including seemingly, you. (Yes I respect that you will still, probably, vote for Biden if he is the candidate in the general)

I have very little respect, intellectually, for any of them. ( To me they seem unable to look at the big pictures)

BTW, Newsom & Whitmer, not being in a position where they must take a position, haven't taken a position on your issue.  Just means they are smart enough politicians not to state their position.  They may disappoint you when they take a position.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-23, 16:51

I generally also think single issue voting is dumb. When that issue is genocide, it has a bit more merit. There's also his age, so technically 2 issues, both of which he is on the wrong side of. I could find more if I felt the need to further justify myself, but those 2 seem like plenty for now.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 17:33

Cameron wrote:I generally also think single issue voting is dumb. When that issue is genocide, it has a bit more merit. There's also his age, so technically 2 issues, both of which he is on the wrong side of. I could find more if I felt the need to further justify myself, but those 2 seem like plenty for now.

I put those up against the fact he has enacted a revolution in federal policies, IMO the most significant positive changes since LBJ, and he has done it with outstanding political skill, given the make up of the House & Senate.

I would dearly love to see a blue tamsumee election where the Democratic Party takes back the House and somehow gets 62 Senators. The Senate is extremely unlikely but give Biden both chambers with over 52 Senators and we will see significant changes for the better in his possible second term.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-23, 17:35

Give any Democratic president supermajorities everywhere and they should be able to get all kinds of great stuff done.

Shit in one hand and hope in the other...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-23, 18:23

Cameron wrote:Give any Democratic president supermajorities everywhere and they should be able to get all kinds of great stuff done.

Depends on the person, still.  Joe Manchin might not get what needs to be done, done. Biden with 52 Senators and the House might get the Voting Rights Act, which would be a BFD.  With 62 Senators it would be a done BFD.

A comment on age, where I disagree with using a number.

There are virtuoso musicians who play at a very high level well into their mid to upper 90's.  Biden is a virtuoso politician and with that he has political skills that are "muscle memory", just like a musician has on an instrument.  Based on his current virtuoso performance there is no reason to think he cannot keep going at the same skill level well into his 90's.

Trump, OTOH is a mess, at 78.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-23, 18:58

Rick Saunders wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 502811600 The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 502811600 The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 3493939353

That was literally me at today's department meeting. We have an outstanding crop of young faculty (30s and 40s, ok 50s too) in our department and it is their show now. I am still active and my experienced opinion is worthwhile information I am happy to provide but I shouldn't be a primary force shaping their careers when I've only got 8 years left in me.

Plus, my dad is sharp but he's 83. My mom is sharp but she's 82. My mother in law is bright but she's 85. In each and every one of them the difference of a year is way noticeable. The difference from five years ago is striking. They may each have another 10 years left in them. But what will those 10 years look like. Will they look like the last 5? I don't like overlaying my feelings about that on the presidency (or a seat in the house or senate for that matter either and your point about Pelosi is well taken).
exactly.

I regularly have colleagues stopping by my office to discuss their options, issues they're experiencing, challenges, possible advancements, does a lateral move to another department/college equal potential for an upward move at some point? I love those conversations and appreciate their respect.

I value them and their younger, more progressive ideas and views. Their thoughts and experiences that are significantly different from my own. That is what 'diversity' is all about. I feel like we need to honor that, regardless of our field.

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-23, 22:19

Trapper Gus wrote:
Cameron wrote:Give any Democratic president supermajorities everywhere and they should be able to get all kinds of great stuff done.

Depends on the person, still.  Joe Manchin might not get what needs to be done, done. Biden with 52 Senators and the House might get the Voting Rights Act, which would be a BFD.  With 62 Senators it would be a done BFD.

There are virtuoso musicians who play at a very high level well into their mid to upper 90's.  Biden is a virtuoso politician and with that he has political skills that are "muscle memory", just like a musician has on an instrument.  Based on his current virtuoso performance there is no reason to think he cannot keep going at the same skill level well into his 90's.

Your definition of virtuoso is extremely sad. The musician comparison is nonsense.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-24, 06:30

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Your definition of virtuoso is extremely sad. The musician comparison is nonsense.

Well IMO Joe Biden has given a political virtuoso performance in his first term, and I have listed some of the reasons why I believe that.

It is no surprise that Biden is a political virtuoso, he has been working at it all his life.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-01-24, 08:37; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-01-24, 07:23

Well it’s pretty much a given Trump will be the nominee. The Haley dream is dead. Buckle up.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-01-24, 07:57

It’s incredible to watch SC voters being interviewed (CNN). These are, on the surface, well educated, articulate, reasonable people. All felt Haley was a good governor. And 12 of the 13 raised their hand that they would support Trump for President if he were a convicted felon. His crimes are serious. And they just don’t care. I want their brains preserved for study. This country is so fucked. But hey. Let’s all sit on our hands and pretend being reasonable middle of the road “America will do the right thing” simps will win the day.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-24, 08:08

kingstonlake wrote:It’s incredible to watch SC voters being interviewed (CNN). These are, on the surface, well educated, articulate, reasonable people. All felt Haley was a good governor. And 12 of the 13 raised their hand that they would support Trump for President if he were a convicted felon. His crimes are serious. And they just don’t care. I want their brains preserved for study. This country is so fucked. But hey. Let’s all sit on our hands and pretend being reasonable middle of the road “America will do the right thing” simps will win the day.

[tw]1749949719705424023[/tw]

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/01/22/new-hampshire-primary-voter-00136850?utm_source=pocket_reader

BEDFORD, N.H. — “This,” Ted Johnson told me, “is what I hope.” We were here the other day at a bar not far from his house, and we were talking about Donald Trump and the possibility he could be the president again by this time next year. “He breaks the system,” he said, “he exposes the deep state, and it’s going to be a miserable four years for everybody.”

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-01-24, 08:38; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2024-01-24, 08:20

Cameron wrote:I don't think I qualify as young anymore, but as it stands today, I have no intention of voting for president in 2024.

^This is the definition of stupid American.^
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-24, 08:34

PennSpartan wrote:

^This is the definition of stupid American.^

Or one who wants to watch the country burn aka The Joker...

see the post above yours
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Trapper Gus and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-24, 08:58

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-01-24, 10:36

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:It’s incredible to watch SC voters being interviewed (CNN). These are, on the surface, well educated, articulate, reasonable people. All felt Haley was a good governor. And 12 of the 13 raised their hand that they would support Trump for President if he were a convicted felon. His crimes are serious. And they just don’t care. I want their brains preserved for study. This country is so fucked. But hey. Let’s all sit on our hands and pretend being reasonable middle of the road “America will do the right thing” simps will win the day.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/01/22/new-hampshire-primary-voter-00136850?utm_source=pocket_reader

BEDFORD, N.H. — “This,” Ted Johnson told me, “is what I hope.” We were here the other day at a bar not far from his house, and we were talking about Donald Trump and the possibility he could be the president again by this time next year. “He breaks the system,” he said, “he exposes the deep state, and it’s going to be a miserable four years for everybody.”

“You’re a veteran,” I told him. “You are somebody who doesn’t trust the system that in the broadest sense you served.”

“I have no trust,” he said.

“The system you served,” I said again.

“That’s right. I swore an oath,” he said. “I believed in that oath.”

“When did you stop believing?” I asked Ted Johnson.

“About when Trump became president,” he answered.

The 2024 US House & Senate (& Presidential Election)  and the Michigan Legislature - Who do you Think Wins? - Page 11 502811600

Then of course he's going to vote for Trump again.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-25, 09:49

Joe got a higher percentage of the vote as a write-in than Don did with his name on the ballot.

Penn, this is for you.

If Don is the Red candidate, then:

Joe is going to win the general. easily & pull the House Blue.  The Senate will go Red, however.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-25, 17:46

Trapper Gus wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Citation needed.

The United States, Israel’s closest ally, has provided strong military and political support for the campaign, but has increasingly called on Israel to scale back its assault and take steps toward establishing a Palestinian state after the war — a suggestion Netanyahu has soundly rejected.

Speaking during a nationally televised news conference Thursday, Netanyahu reiterated his longstanding opposition to a two-state solution, saying Israel “must have security control over the entire territory west of the Jordan River.”

On Friday, President Joe Biden and Netanyahu spoke by phone after a glaring, almost four-week gap in direct communication amid fundamental differences over their visions for Gaza once the war ends.

Biden, for his part, in Friday’s call reaffirmed his commitment to work toward helping the Palestinians move toward statehood.

In his interview, Eisenkot also confirmed that a preemptive strike against Lebanon’s Hezbollah militia was called off at the last minute during the early days of the war. He said he was among those arguing against such a strike in an Oct. 11 Cabinet meeting that he said left him hoarse from shouting.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-1-19-2024-e5f45fb7b14d3dc8ff64b0aee4b473aa

A month ago, The Wall Street Journal, reporting on the dramatic events of Oct. 11, said intervention by President Joe Biden was key to averting the strike. Israeli warplanes were in the air, awaiting orders, when Biden called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and told him to stand down, the report said, citing people familiar with the call.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hezbollah-preemptive-strike-averted-oct-11-a3c94f1e39485445e13f4af23b6b1e19

Finally got 'round to reading your links. Keep going.

Eisenkot said loud objections raised by him and others during the Cabinet session were key to calling off the strike. At the time, he and former Defense Minister Benny Gantz, both opposition lawmakers, had just joined Netanyahu to help lead the war. Asked if their presence prevented a bad decision, he said: “Unequivocally.”

Sounds to me like Biden's people told the WSJ Biden averted the strike, while in actuality it was the moderate Israelis in the room who deserve most of the credit.

Biden didn't even talk to Netanyahu at all for the better part of a month, so to say that he was the one who talked them into a more sensible position seems like a bit of a stretch. None of that will stop you from giving Biden 100% of the credit and 0% of the blame of course, so carry on.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2024-01-25, 18:04

Trapper Gus wrote:Joe got a higher percentage of the vote as a write-in than Don did with his name on the ballot.

Penn, this is for you.

Joe is going to win the general. easily & pull the House Blue.  The Senate will go Red, however.
Sorry Trap, Biden is not going to win, unless there is some significant event like Trump being thrown in jail. I appreciate you carrying the Biden torch for me. There are simply too many people like the one I singled out above who would like to see Joe lose so they can say “I told you so”. Six months into the next Trump regime you will see these same people screaming about all of the Democratic Party accomplishments being taken away, and of course blaming Boomers. LOL. If Hillary has won in 2016 Roe would still be law, but you’ll never hear a Bernie supporter admit that. We’re still feeling the Bern, he’s the gift that keeps on giving (to MAGA).
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-25, 18:19

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Finally got 'round to reading your links. Keep going.

Eisenkot said loud objections raised by him and others during the Cabinet session were key to calling off the strike. At the time, he and former Defense Minister Benny Gantz, both opposition lawmakers, had just joined Netanyahu to help lead the war. Asked if their presence prevented a bad decision, he said: “Unequivocally.”

Sounds to me like Biden's people told the WSJ Biden averted the strike, while in actuality it was the moderate Israelis in the room who deserve most of the credit.

Biden didn't even talk to Netanyahu at all for the better part of a month, so to say that he was the one who talked them into a more sensible position seems like a bit of a stretch. None of that will stop you from giving Biden 100% of the credit and 0% of the blame of course, so carry on.

Netanyahu wanted to do this right after October 7th, October 11th as noted in the article, so you are wrong about Biden not talking to him at that time, he was talking to him often during the first month.  It was from mid-December to mid-January that they stopped talking after Biden became exasperated with Netanyahu.

So, Biden wasn't the only one arguing for not starting a larger war.  That still makes him one of, and the most powerful one of, who were fighting that fight, and trying to get Israel to standdown.  

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-01-26, 06:38; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-25, 21:01

It remains to be seen whether or not this ends up in larger regional conflict. I don't consider the trends to be promising. If we reach some sort of resolution before everything blows up, then maybe we can look into apportioning some credit to Biden. Until then, his grade is incomplete at best.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-01-25, 23:33

Putin wins and gives China and Iran the blueprint to beat the US. Just pay Republicans and disenfranchise younger liberals, giving those they can buy off an easier time to block aid. We're fucked.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-26, 07:14

Cameron wrote:It remains to be seen whether or not this ends up in larger regional conflict. I don't consider the trends to be promising. If we reach some sort of resolution before everything blows up, then maybe we can look into apportioning some credit to Biden. Until then, his grade is incomplete at best.

The mideast is where US policies go to die.

Going to try to talk about this in the "War" thread, mostly.

Posted this there, too, as I did for most of the links I provided in this thread.

Here is one more I just posted there, too, so if it is about the war it is better over there, I think.  Replying in two threads on the same topic is confusing for me.

To your point, the best Biden can do, short term, IMO is to get Israel to back down somewhat more.

Netanyahu right now looks to be toast, politically, if he ends the war, so it will continue on at maybe a lower level.  Netanyahu, and his political alies want Palestine to be Israel from the river to the sea and have no interest in a two-state solution.  Without a major change in the Israel government, unlikely, there isn't much Biden can do, other than try to keep a lid on things, which he has been doing, with two naval task forces in the area and all the pressure the US can bring to keep the shipping lanes open.

President Biden last week pressed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to scale down the Israeli military operation in Gaza, stressing he is not in it for a year of war, two U.S. officials told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/26/biden-netanyahu-israel-hamas-war-gaza-timetable

Circling back to earlier comments, just to wrap up what is in this thread...

Between the lines: Biden has become increasingly frustrated with Netanyahu in recent weeks.

The Jan. 19 call was the first between the two leaders in nearly a month. During their previous call on Dec. 23, a frustrated Biden ended the call by saying the "conversation is over" and hanging up the phone.
In the first two months of the war that began Oct. 7, the two leaders had talked almost every other day.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-26, 08:00

U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert defended her mountains-to-plains shift in congressional districts, even as Republican rivals used the contest's first debate Thursday night to suggest she is a carpetbagger and hypocrite.

Why it matters: How voters perceive Boebert's move will determine whether she can win in the 4th District, and the debate offered the first test of her new campaign.

State of play: Her move out of her difficult re-election contest in the 3rd District to compete in the deep-red 4th District drew the most attention at the Fort Lupton debate.

She addressed it at the start, announcing she just moved to the area and signed a lease for a home in nearby Windsor. "I am here to earn your vote. This is not a coronation," she said.
"The crops may be different in Colorado's 4th District, but the values are not," she added.
Yes, but: The remark did little to quell the questions. None of the eight other candidates on stage said they would support Boebert if they weren't running and she placed fifth in an informal straw poll.

This really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things as it is likely she would lose in her old district and a Republican is going to win in her new one, it does raise the question of who she is representing right now. The district in which she was elected or the one she wnats to be elected in.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-26, 08:11

WASHINGTON (AP) — A bipartisan Senate deal to pair border enforcement measures and Ukraine aid faced potential collapse Thursday as Senate Republicans grew increasingly wary of an election-year compromise that Donald Trump, the likely Republican presidential nominee, says is “meaningless.”

Senate negotiators have been striving for weeks to finish a carefully negotiated compromise on border and immigration policy that is meant to tamp down the number of migrants who come to the U.S. border with Mexico. But now that negotiations have dragged for weeks, election-year politics and demands from Trump are weighing it down.

At stake is a plan that both President Joe Biden and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have worked on for months to broker in hopes of cajoling Congress to approve wartime aid for Ukraine. The U.S. has run out of money to supply Ukraine, potentially leaving the country stranded without robust supplies of ammunition and missiles to fend off Russia’s invasion.

The grownups try to work out a deal - the 3-year-old in the corner tries to fuck it up.

https://apnews.com/article/congress-border-security-ukraine-trump-a8601ec6629ddc5b769028ca99ad9879
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-26, 08:19

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Joe got a higher percentage of the vote as a write-in than Don did with his name on the ballot.

Penn, this is for you.

Sorry Trap, Biden is not going to win, unless there is some significant event like Trump being thrown in jail. I appreciate you carrying the Biden torch for me. There are simply too many people like the one I singled out above who would like to see Joe lose so they can say “I told you so”. Six months into the next Trump regime you will see these same people screaming about all of the Democratic Party accomplishments being taken away, and of course blaming Boomers. LOL. If Hillary has won in 2016 Roe would still be law, but you’ll never hear a Bernie supporter admit that. We’re still feeling the Bern, he’s the gift that keeps on giving (to MAGA).

Trump is having trouble getting above 50% in the Republican primaries with no real opposition, other than Republicans who don't want him as their candidate.

In NH over 25% of the people voting in the Republican primary said there was no way they would vote for Trump in the general.

OTOH, Biden, who wasn't on the ballot, won with a higher percentage of Democratic votes than Trump got with Republican votes.

Talking to the people on this board who don't want Biden to run, they are all saying they will "hold their nose" and vote for Biden if Trump is the other choice. They understand, this time, the insanity of voting third party, so the No-Labels push will fail, badly, and anyway, most polling has shown No-labels hurts Trump more than Biden.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-01-26, 10:02

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Trump is having trouble getting above 50% in the Republican primaries with no real opposition, other than Republicans who don't want him as their candidate.

In NH over 25% of the people voting in the Republican primary said there was no way they would vote for Trump in the general.

OTOH, Biden, who wasn't on the ballot, won with a higher percentage of Democratic votes than Trump got with Republican votes.

Talking to the people on this board who don't want Biden to run, they are all saying they will "hold their nose" and vote for Biden if Trump is the other choice. They understand, this time, the insanity of voting third party, so the No-Labels push will fail, badly, and anyway, most polling has shown No-labels hurts Trump more than Biden.

I'm considering sending Nikki Haley $20 just to get on Trump's shitlist
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2024-01-26, 14:14

Trapper Gus wrote:

He doesn't know why he's mad or who he's mad at...he's just mad. Stunning.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-01-26, 15:22

Biden, Yellen tout their administration’s ‘invest in America’ economic gains

“That’s our economic plan — invest in America, invest in American products, build in America. That’s what we call Bidenomics,” Biden said. “My predecessor, he chose a different course; trickle-down economics, cut taxes for the very wealthy and big corporations, increasing the deficit significantly.”
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and msugolfguy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-27, 08:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:Biden, Yellen tout their administration’s ‘invest in America’ economic gains

“That’s our economic plan — invest in America, invest in American products, build in America. That’s what we call Bidenomics,” Biden said. “My predecessor, he chose a different course; trickle-down economics, cut taxes for the very wealthy and big corporations, increasing the deficit significantly.”

This is an interesting point, and here is a tweet talking about it, also.

The really interesting thing is, if Biben wins the 2024 election it will be seen as a vindication of the progressive economic programs which have been passed during his watch. It might be an killing of the "supply side Reagan economic revolution".

[tw]1750865199517544776[/tw]
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-27, 09:01

Here is a bit more, something I'm betting none of you (I wasn't) are aware of...

But while Trump is apparently telling Republicans he will “fix” the border if he gets back into the White House, Greg Sargent noted yesterday in The New Republic that when Trump was in office, “he too released a lot of migrants into the interior, and he couldn’t pass his immigration agenda even with unified GOP control.” And, of course, he never got Mexico to pay for his wall, as he repeatedly claimed he would, while President Joe Biden, in contrast, got Mexico to invest $1.5 billion in “smart” border technology and to beef up its own border security.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next