Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

+9
AvgMSUJoe
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
Trapper Gus
Other Teams Pursuing That
duffy munn
DWags
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  Empty Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

Post by DWags 1/5/2023, 8:49 am

High school sports participate in the last two decades;

Football down 14%

Soccer up 16%

Cross country up10%

Football is still king in high school with about 1 million participants. Soccer has about 1/2 million.

But trend lines are saying that we’ve seen the peek of football in my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  Empty Re: Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 8:54 am

Both of my sons played full tackle football starting in 5th grade. If I had a a son that age now, I would not let them put pads and a helmet on until high school.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  Empty Re: Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 8:54 am

Nice! Soccer is the most beautiful game in the world. Glad to see the barbaric game slowing down but there’s too much money behind it to ever truly die
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 8:55 am

In Saline the CC team has far more participants than the football team, and has for at least 20 years.

They show up for meets with three busloads of runners.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 1/5/2023, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 8:56 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Nice! Soccer is the most beautiful game in the world. Glad to see the barbaric game slowing down but there’s too much money behind it to ever truly die

Soccer needs to outlaw "headers"
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 9:00 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Nice! Soccer is the most beautiful game in the world. Glad to see the barbaric game slowing down but there’s too much money behind it to ever truly die

Except for the flopping and acting like you were shot if someone tripped you
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 1/5/2023, 9:01 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

The last few years my daughters played they have protective head gear for that, but I don’t see it catching on.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 9:02 am

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

The last few years my daughters played they have protective head gear for that, but I don’t see it catching on.

Football helmets are used based on rules, soccer could do that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 1/5/2023, 9:03 am

duffy munn wrote:

Except for the flopping and acting like you were shot if someone tripped you

So the oldest had a coach that encouraged that. It really upset me. Youngest never did. He explained it to parents that he was teaching it because other coaches and teams were. WTF?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 9:06 am

Players flop in every sport possible. Doesn’t bother me too much. But this thread is about safety and American football ain’t it in that regard.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 9:08 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Players flop in every sport possible. Doesn’t bother me too much. But this thread is about safety and American football ain’t it in that regard.

Nobody flops like soccer players OTPT
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 9:13 am

A buddy of mine coaches football at a catholic grade school ( the same one I went to) and they have 3 teams. Varsity, JV and freshman. The freshmen team is 3rd and 4th graders. Seems crazy to me.

But each team has plenty of kids to have full scrimmages etc. I guess it works because the program is basically a feeder for Brother Rice, Country Day, U of D and the local public schools. A bunch of his kids have played in college.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/5/2023, 9:14 am

I would filter out regions. Bet football is down in blue states but thriving in the south. The NFL is still king and the sport is played at the highest level ever. The game is growing in popularity and doing just fine.

Soccer is for wankers.

Tennis is on the rise.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 1/5/2023, 9:20 am

duffy munn wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Players flop in every sport possible. Doesn’t bother me too much. But this thread is about safety and American football ain’t it in that regard.

Man this really has nothing to do with the thread but what you don’t understand is that sometimes in all sports you get a little twinge of whatever. A cleat hits your calf for instance. A soccer player falls down and rolls around a bit until they are fine, it only takes a minute. A football player has the benefit of each play lasting only 4 seconds then having a) a thirty second break or b) the option to get subbed on and off at any given time. Soccer players, if they don’t stop the play by rolling around, put their team at a disadvantage until they are good to go. Letting play continue on when they can’t run is a bad choice.

Then there’s the actual flopping, which happens a lot in every sport, like otpt said. I dunno, it isn’t a bother for people that actually watch soccer, it’s those that don’t that always resort to “it’s the flopping!” Maybe there’s a reason for that.

Anyway, they don’t do headers until a certain age. I don’t know off the top of my head and it probably depends on the league, but I’d guess like 12 or 14 or so
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 9:31 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Man this really has nothing to do with the thread but what you don’t understand is that sometimes in all sports you get a little twinge of whatever. A cleat hits your calf for instance. A soccer player falls down and rolls around a bit until they are fine, it only takes a minute. A football player has the benefit of each play lasting only 4 seconds then having a) a thirty second break or b) the option to get subbed on and off at any given time. Soccer players, if they don’t stop the play by rolling around, put their team at a disadvantage until they are good to go. Letting play continue on when they can’t run is a bad choice.

Then there’s the actual flopping, which happens a lot in every sport, like otpt said. I dunno, it isn’t a bother for people that actually watch soccer, it’s those that don’t that always resort to “it’s the flopping!” Maybe there’s a reason for that.

Anyway, they don’t do headers until a certain age. I don’t know off the top of my head and it probably depends on the league, but I’d guess like 12 or 14 or so

As Dwags said, they are coached to act like they've been shot. Then they pop up 30 seconds later at full speed. Turns me off to the game Travis. Now back to the discussion about real football.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 9:32 am

duffy munn wrote:

Ok. Back to the thread. Nobody’s health and well-being gets impacted American football

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600 oh my bad, real football. Macho man guys are hilarious. Somehow even after the bills game they are still out there

Last edited by Other Teams Pursuing That on 1/5/2023, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 9:33 am

duffy munn wrote:

don't think that causing brain damage has an upper age limit.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/5/2023, 9:33 am

duffy munn wrote:

Our hip bar in town only showed World Cup matches. Place was packed with a bunch of hipsters drinking ipas. I blame the parents.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 9:40 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Ok. Back to the thread. Nobody’s health and well-being gets impacted American football

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600 oh my bad, real football. Macho man guys are hilarious. Somehow even after the bills game they are still out there
You are the guy who brought up soccer OTPT.
My first response in this thread said I would not allow my sons to put on helmet until high school for the very reasons you mention.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/5/2023, 9:45 am

As if soccer doesn’t cause brain damage. Give me a break.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 1/5/2023, 9:45 am

duffy munn wrote:

As Dwags said, they are coached to act like they've been shot. Then they pop up 30 seconds later at full speed. Turns me off to the game  Travis. Now back to the discussion about real football.

I didn’t like that it was coached.  Can we say it’s coached in basketball? Sure.  And football players are told to “take a knee” to disrupt an offense in rhythm and quick snapping. Is it the same?  I don’t know, I guess it is. I never felt comfortable with the soccer coach talking about trying to get the other teams star player a card by “selling” a bump in the back. It just bothered me.

Anyway that’s another thread. I do believe parents are getting mor cautious about what sport their kid is playing and I do think football has peaked.  We’ll see less and less full stadiums in ten years. For many reasons. Violence is one.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 1/5/2023, 9:48 am

duffy munn wrote:

As Dwags said, they are coached to act like they've been shot. Then they pop up 30 seconds later at full speed. Turns me off to the game  Travis. Now back to the discussion about real football.

It’s not different than the game where they take a 1-2 minute break every 4 seconds of game play at the end of the day
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 9:58 am

duffy munn wrote:

You are the guy who brought up soccer OTPT.
My first response in this thread said I would not allow my sons to put on helmet until high school for the very reasons you mention.

Soccer is up 16%
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 1/5/2023, 10:01 am

I like the idea of 'lifelong sports' such as running, swimming, basketball, tennis, etc. I love football (I know.. I'm just the average alpha-male, raw meat-eatin', wife-beatin', violence-craven savage with a third grade reading level), but there's no doubt that participation is down. Which is fine.. everything has an expiration date.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, DWags, Polydorus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 10:09 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I like the idea of 'lifelong sports' such as running, swimming, basketball, tennis, etc. I love football (I know.. I'm just the average alpha-male, raw meat-eatin', wife-beatin', violence-craven savage with a third grade reading level), but there's no doubt that participation is down. Which is fine.. everything has an expiration date.

Yep. Golf can be up there too. (No one cares whether you think it’s a sport or not, Duffy)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 10:10 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I like the idea of 'lifelong sports' such as running, swimming, basketball, tennis, etc. I love football (I know.. I'm just the average alpha-male, raw meat-eatin', wife-beatin', violence-craven savage with a third grade reading level), but there's no doubt that participation is down. Which is fine.. everything has an expiration date.

I'll never forget my sons first high school football game as a freshman at EL. Fruitport was the opponent and they ran like 65 kids onto the field ( our team had maybe 30). The Fruitport kids were HUGE. Like literally a handful of 200 pounders.

Anyway my kid, 5 foot nothing and maybe 125lbs, starts at nose guard because the coach says he has a nose for the ball. tWife removed the Blue Cross card from her purse and clutched it the whole game.

My boy held his own and actually recovered a fumble. But man did he get drilled a bunch of times. Like pancaked.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 1/5/2023, 10:19 am

I don't know why I'm getting into this. A couple of things though.
Someone is always going to take a chance to make life changing $$ for most people.
If you've ever accidentally stubbed your toe, hit a part of your body, slammed your finger in a door, I'm sure everyone here just walked away like nothing ever happened, and no one ever hopped around for a minute or so until the pain subsided. That's what its like to get stepped on or kicked or hit somewhere while playing soccer.
IPA's aren't very hipster, prolly more like PBR and Truly are more hipster, but WTF is hipster anyway?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 10:23 am

Yep. Golf can be up there too. (No one cares whether you think it’s a sport or not, Duffy)

Golf is a game you can play until your 90. With a beer in one hand and a loaded one-hitter in the other.I don't care if it's defined as a sport or not. It's the greatest game though, OTPT
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 1/5/2023, 10:23 am

My kids didn't play. I'm glad for it.

One played pee wee, but the fucking coaches treated that like the NFL combine/playoffs and the vast majority quit. Getting you ass beat all week to watch 2 way players (coach's kids) never leave the field AND still lose... That might just be my local shitheads though.

For every high school football player, there is a lifelong injury story waiting to be told. (knees, back... broke my whatever and now I can forecast the weather...)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 10:26 am

You forgot "brain damaged" or at least you claimed that once talking about your high school playing days.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 1/5/2023, 10:30 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:My kids didn't play. I'm glad for it.

One played pee wee, but the fucking coaches treated that like the NFL combine/playoffs and the vast majority quit. Getting you ass beat all week to watch 2 way players (coach's kids) never leave the field AND still lose... That might just be my local shitheads though.

For every high school football player, there is a lifelong injury story waiting to be told. (knees, back... broke my whatever and now I can forecast the weather...)

My track star kid was put on the football team for the strength and conditioning in the fall, promptly tore up three of the ligaments on his knee the first day of contact practice and ruined his track career.  Track coaches were devastated, but that didn't help much.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 1/5/2023, 10:34 am

duffy munn wrote:

I'll never forget my sons first high school football game as a freshman at EL. Fruitport was the opponent and they ran like 65 kids onto the field ( our team had maybe 30). The Fruitport kids were HUGE. Like literally a handful of 200 pounders.

Anyway my kid, 5 foot nothing and maybe 125lbs, starts at nose guard because the coach says he has a nose for the ball. tWife removed the Blue Cross card from her purse and clutched it the whole game.

My boy held his own and actually recovered a fumble. But man did he get drilled a bunch of times. Like pancaked.
that's awesome. Love that your wife had the BCBS card out and ready.. Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600

my HS football claim to fame was in our rivalry game senior year. Truly a huge game, maybe the biggest rivalry in North Carolina. Stadium is full by about 5:00 for a 7:30 kick. 10,000-12,000 in attendance.

I was a wide receiver (5'10", about 145 lbs at the time) - scored the go-ahead TD early in the 4th quarter on a crossing pattern. Was pretty fly. They scored, lined up for an onsides kick. I'm up front of the anti-onsides team, 'cause, you know.. I'm good with my hands. Kick goes right to a teammate, whistle blown. This idiot redneck (whose name I still remember 36 years later) comes barreling down and drills me as I'm just kinda standing there.

I go flying.. penalty flags go flying. I remember looking up and seeing coaches and teammates looking down at me. 100% got a concussion. No doubt about it (I 'went to sleep' in my buddy's 1983 Celica after the game.. never a good thing).

anyway. I lived to tell about it. The TD was pretty awesome and the stadium went insane. I have the clip of it on my phone that I pull out and look at every now and then. Glory day.. they'll pass you by.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

y2kMgrad and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 1/5/2023, 10:41 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

that's awesome. Love that your wife had the BCBS card out and ready..  Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600

my HS football claim to fame was in our rivalry game senior year. Truly a huge game, maybe the biggest rivalry in North Carolina. Stadium is full by about 5:00 for a 7:30 kick. 10,000-12,000 in attendance.

I was a wide receiver (5'10", about 145 lbs at the time) - scored the go-ahead TD early in the 4th quarter on a crossing pattern. Was pretty fly. They scored, lined up for an onsides kick. I'm up front of the anti-onsides team, 'cause, you know.. I'm good with my hands. Kick goes right to a teammate, whistle blown. This idiot redneck (whose name I still remember 36 years later) comes barreling down and drills me as I'm just kinda standing there.

I go flying.. penalty flags go flying. I remember looking up and seeing coaches and teammates  looking down at me. 100% got a concussion. No doubt about it (I 'went to sleep' in my buddy's 1983 Celica after the game.. never a good thing).

anyway. I lived to tell about it. The TD was pretty awesome and the stadium went insane. I have the clip of it on my phone that I pull out and look at every now and then. Glory day.. they'll pass you by.

You gotta post that clip Bob
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Polydorus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/5/2023, 10:47 am

InTenSity wrote:I don't know why I'm getting into this. A couple of things though.
Someone is always going to take a chance to make life changing $$ for most people.
If you've ever accidentally stubbed your toe, hit a part of your body, slammed your finger in a door, I'm sure everyone here just walked away like nothing ever happened, and no one ever hopped around for a minute or so until the pain subsided. That's what its like to get stepped on or kicked or hit somewhere while playing soccer.
IPA's aren't very hipster, prolly more like PBR and Truly are more hipster, but WTF is hipster anyway?

I think hipsters are people who are different than the uncomfortable in their own skin person who’s labeling the other person as a hipster.
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 1/5/2023, 10:48 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
that's awesome. Love that your wife had the BCBS card out and ready..  Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600

I go flying.. penalty flags go flying. I remember looking up and seeing coaches and teammates  looking down at me. 100% got a concussion. No doubt about it (I 'went to sleep' in my buddy's 1983 Celica after the game.. never a good thing).

You gotta post that clip Bob
it's awfully grainy and pretty fuzzy. Thankfully, my brooding good looks was obscured by my mid-80's Ridell helmet.. otherwise, the ladies would be coming out of the woodwork.

If I can figure it out, I will.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 1/5/2023, 10:58 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
This idiot redneck (whose name I still remember 36 years later) comes barreling down and drills me as I'm just kinda standing there.

Explains a lot Bob....

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 1/5/2023, 10:59 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
This idiot redneck (whose name I still remember 36 years later) comes barreling down and drills me as I'm just kinda standing there.

Explains a lot Bob....

more than you even know. Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 1/5/2023, 11:31 am

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  200.gif?cid=ddb306a50n6w6pxuvivynlm1xg735hblp1j799q34odsuppi&rid=200

Please read about the most beautiful game in the world here, OTPT
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 1/5/2023, 11:33 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I have only good things to say about non-driving related activities in Ceicas.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 1/5/2023, 11:38 am

It is, for anyone that cares, possible to just like all sports. My favorite at any given time is probably going to revolve around which of my teams is good at the moment. In recent years that was most commonly soccer. The last month or do I’ve been consuming way more lions content than I have in the past. When Wembyama teams up with Cade this summer I’ll be more actively reading about the pistons than I do right now (nice buzzer beater last night tho). You really don’t need to ride or die with any one sport and pretend it’s superior to all others. All sports have their good and bad parts.

Turtleneck I find the concept of an intentional foul as an accepted practice that happens at the end of every game because it helps the team that fouls to be an affront to the Lord.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next