Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

+9
AvgMSUJoe
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
Trapper Gus
Other Teams Pursuing That
duffy munn
DWags
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-05, 11:45

Yeah, well, I don't think consuming the contents of lions is cool, so there is that.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting numbers this morning on CNN

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-05, 11:47

Also, DWags seems more like an OAN dude than CNN.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-01-05, 11:58

Turtleneck wrote:Also, DWags seems more like an OAN dude than CNN.
hey now..

I've met DWags on two separate occasions and I can assure you that he's a gentleman, a scholar and a benevolent purveyor of Bud Light. He loaned me one and I donated it back to the Red Cedar about 15 minutes later.

also, his tailgate was rockin' some pretty sweet tunes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-05, 12:06

Remember that long questionnaire msu sent out to ticket holders. Everyone of those choices would require stadium re development. I wonder now in hindsight the powers that be know there will be less attendance regardless of success in the next decade. Those plans I was asked about require the stadium seating to be shrunk.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-01-05, 12:13

steveschneider wrote:As if soccer doesn’t cause brain damage. Give me a break.  

Kind of a chicken and egg question. Maybe brain damage caused soccer.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-05, 12:15

Trapper Gus wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Nice! Soccer is the most beautiful game in the world. Glad to see the barbaric game slowing down but there’s too much money behind it to ever truly die

Soccer needs to outlaw "headers"
CTE is most definitely an issue in soccer. Not just the act of heading the ball, but from heads colliding.

It's hard to Outlaw something so integral to the game. It's like outlawing the dunk in basketball or forward pass in American football (which I know were both outlawed at one point, unlike headers, but imagine the sports without them now).

My daughter's middle school league didn't allow headers, and it was really weird on corner kicks.

Maybe helmets will be the solution at some point. CTE in world soccer is just starting to scratch the surface of public concern. The family of the late Nobby Stiles (England WC winner in 1966) recently joined a lawsuit about it that includes a few former soccer players, but mostly former rugby players.
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/nobby-stiles-family-among-group-taking-legal-action-over-brain-injury-claims-2022-11-11/
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-05, 12:16

DWags wrote:Remember that long questionnaire msu sent out to ticket holders. Everyone of those choices would require stadium re development.  I wonder now in hindsight the powers that be know there will be less attendance regardless of success in the next decade.  Those plans I was asked about require the stadium seating to be shrunk.  

Stadium will have to be redeveloped/updated at some point. Seems like smaller capacity, but with better amenities is the trend.

And you can replace (for example) 40-50 seats with a 12-16 person suite and make more money in the process.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-05, 12:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It is, for anyone that cares, possible to just like all sports. My favorite at any given time is probably going to revolve around which of my teams is good at the moment. In recent years that was most commonly soccer. The last month or do I’ve been consuming way more lions content than I have in the past. When Wembyama teams up with Cade this summer I’ll be more actively reading about the pistons than I do right now (nice buzzer beater last night tho). You really don’t need to ride or die with any one sport and pretend it’s superior to all others. All sports have their good and bad parts.

Turtleneck I find the concept of an intentional foul as an accepted practice that happens at the end of every game because it helps the team that fouls to be an affront to the Lord.

I think there's a good point here to be made. Why is it that flopping/diving offends people? Because it isn't proper sportsmanship? Yet we have come to accept intentional fouls as travis mentioned, intentional walks, freezing the kicker with timeouts, trying to draw the other team offside with a hard count, etc. None of those things are really in the proper sporting spirit.

I say this because in some areas (South America for one), diving/embellishing is treated as a skill/art form. They say, "put it on the ref to decide if it's embellished or not." And if it's enough of a flop, you get a yellow card, so there is risk in doing it.

I'm not saying that I'm in favor of diving, but just offering some perspective. I know that a bunch of you will say how different the others are. My point is to ask why it so offensive. As I said, I'm not in favor of it, so I'm kind of asking myself that question, too.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-05, 12:30

How many parents saw that hit and said little Johnny will not or would no longer play football? Probably at least a few. Can you imagine Kenneth Walker running into you while barreling down the field at 22mph? Also, can we talk bout how Walker runs 22mph in full pads? Honestly, given the levels of human performance these days, supported by science and technology, the sport probably isn't sustainable. Players are so big, so fast, and so strong these days. It's an insane sport.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-05, 12:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It is, for anyone that cares, possible to just like all sports. My favorite at any given time is probably going to revolve around which of my teams is good at the moment. In recent years that was most commonly soccer. The last month or do I’ve been consuming way more lions content than I have in the past. When Wembyama teams up with Cade this summer I’ll be more actively reading about the pistons than I do right now (nice buzzer beater last night tho). You really don’t need to ride or die with any one sport and pretend it’s superior to all others. All sports have their good and bad parts.

Turtleneck I find the concept of an intentional foul as an accepted practice that happens at the end of every game because it helps the team that fouls to be an affront to the Lord.

I think there's a good point here to be made.  Why is it that flopping/diving offends people?  Because it isn't proper sportsmanship?  Yet we have come to accept intentional fouls as travis mentioned, intentional walks, freezing the kicker with timeouts, trying to draw the other team offside with a hard count, etc.  None of those things are really in the proper sporting spirit.

I say this because in some areas (South America for one), diving/embellishing is treated as a skill/art form.  They say, "put it on the ref to decide if it's embellished or not."  And if it's enough of a flop, you get a yellow card, so there is risk in doing it.

I'm not saying that I'm in favor of diving, but just offering some perspective.  I know that a bunch of you will say how different the others are.  My point is to ask why it so offensive.  As I said, I'm not in favor of it, so I'm kind of asking myself that question, too.

As a basketball fan, I really can't complain about flopping. The way Dwyane Wade would fall down and roll around like he had his legs chewed up in a wood chipper, but then get up and go shoot his free throws, was always really frustrating
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-05, 12:41

Turtleneck wrote:How many parents saw that hit and said little Johnny will not or would no longer play football? Probably at least a few.  Can you imagine Kenneth Walker running into you while barreling down the field at 22mph? Also, can we talk bout how Walker runs 22mph in full pads? Honestly, given the levels of human performance these days, supported by science and technology, the sport probably isn't sustainable. Players are so big, so fast, and so strong these days. It's an insane sport.

I do wonder though, how many parents like myself that say their kids won’t play football are also kids that are a product of two averaged height and weight parents who work office jobs? So, great Kevin and Karen, your offspring won’t play football. I don’t think that their kid was ever in very much danger of being any good at football anyway.

5’11
180lb
32x32
120/80
195 rhr
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, MiamiSpartan and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-01-05, 13:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:How many parents saw that hit and said little Johnny will not or would no longer play football? Probably at least a few.  Can you imagine Kenneth Walker running into you while barreling down the field at 22mph? Also, can we talk bout how Walker runs 22mph in full pads? Honestly, given the levels of human performance these days, supported by science and technology, the sport probably isn't sustainable. Players are so big, so fast, and so strong these days. It's an insane sport.

I do wonder though, how many parents like myself that say their kids won’t play football are also kids that are a product of two averaged height and weight parents who work office jobs? So, great Kevin and Karen, your offspring won’t play football. I don’t think that their kid was ever in very much danger of being any good at football anyway.

5’11
180lb
32x32
120/80
195 rhr
"we would never allow our son to play football"..

Interesting numbers this morning on CNN  - Page 2 500_F_211690465_U1d67tPVxkJGL7bjzMwyJJSxwfcUHy6c
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-05, 16:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

5’11
180lb
32x32
120/80
195 rhr

Yeah, I was such a child like you speak of.  I'm not exactly cut out for football, especially growing up in Flint.  I mean, I had above average athleticism, but no where near enough to make up for my very average size and speed.  I played flag football in elementary and was fine.  But beyond that, no. Besides, I took to soccer in 2nd grade and was obsessed with it. Never had any interest in playing tackle football, but kicker would have been the only position I could realistically do if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say, however, is that those average size kids from office job parents, can still play football in a lot of places, such as smaller, rural schools, as well as some private and charter schools that don't recruit kids.  And they still rum risks of those kinds of injuries.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-06, 08:46

Wide receivers are often average sized, so are DB's.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-01-06, 10:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, I was such a child like you speak of.  I'm not exactly cut out for football, especially growing up in Flint.  I mean, I had above average athleticism, but no where near enough to make up for my very average size and speed.  I played flag football in elementary and was fine.  But beyond that, no.  Besides, I took to soccer in 2nd grade and was obsessed with it.  Never had any interest in playing tackle football, but kicker would have been the only position I could realistically do if I wanted to.

The only thing I would say, however, is that those average size kids from office job parents, can still play football in a lot of places, such as smaller, rural schools, as well as some private and charter schools that don't recruit kids.  And they still rum risks of those kinds of injuries.

D1 or Pros require genetic help. High school (D2,3,CC) doesn't.

BTW, I played against the Flint schools in basketball, etc. From a smaller rural white school (Bay City) and we got our asses handed to us. Where you around when they had all of the high schools (Central, Northern, Northwestern, Southwestern, etc.)?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-06, 10:08

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, I was such a child like you speak of.  I'm not exactly cut out for football, especially growing up in Flint.  I mean, I had above average athleticism, but no where near enough to make up for my very average size and speed.  I played flag football in elementary and was fine.  But beyond that, no.  Besides, I took to soccer in 2nd grade and was obsessed with it.  Never had any interest in playing tackle football, but kicker would have been the only position I could realistically do if I wanted to.

BTW, I played against the Flint schools in basketball, etc. From a smaller rural white school (Bay City) and we got our asses handed to us. Where you around when they had all of the high schools (Central, Northern, Northwestern, Southwestern, etc.)?

Central, Western, Glenn or Garber?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-01-06, 10:15

Western
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-06, 10:19

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Western

Back in my day Central was a football powerhouse in the state, of course the district covered most of Bay County
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-06, 10:24

Top 100 viewed television shows in America this year:  82 NFL. 5 college football 4 soccer 5 political. The rest others. From the Stoney show today. No link.

What does that say about American football?  I guess it says we love to watch it, we just don’t want our loved ones playing it as much anymore.  

BTW one of the others was the Oscar’s?  WTF watches that anymore?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-06, 11:48

DWags wrote:Top 100 viewed television shows in America this year:  82 NFL. 5 college football 4 soccer 5 political. The rest others. From the Stoney show today. No link.

What does that say about American football?  I guess it says we love to watch it, we just don’t want our loved ones playing it as much anymore.  

Bob has an Oscars party every year but doesn't invite us because it's for his classy friends.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-06, 14:26

DWags wrote:Top 100 viewed television shows in America this year:  82 NFL. 5 college football 4 soccer 5 political. The rest others. From the Stoney show today. No link.

This is what you’re referencing

Football fine whatever…. How do that many people watch a goddamn parade? Parades are horrible. I will not hear any argument otherwise

[tw]1611363505806139392[/tw]
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-01-06, 14:58

Parades are complete horseshit, BUT it feels like they are on in the background every thanksgiving morning when everyone is scurrying around.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-06, 15:17

That’s weird we play Conan the Barbarian on thanksgiving morning
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 15:55

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yes, all four were still around.

Though before my first year of high school we moved just outside the city, so I didnt attend one. I went to Carman Ainsworth. My brother was a little older and went Northern. I still wouldn't have made my high school football team if I wanted to try out. But I turned away from tackle football when I was in late elementary and middle school in the city schools.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-06, 15:57

Trapper Gus wrote:Wide receivers are often average sized, so are DB's.
I wouldn't call them average. Some are in height, but they have to make up for it with above average speed/agility.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-06, 17:30

I’d like to see a parade go through a town at 75 miles an hour. Now that would exciting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-06, 18:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Wide receivers are often average sized, so are DB's.
I wouldn't call them average. Some are in height, but they have to make up for it with above average speed/agility.

Probably, but size seems to be a typical measurement.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2