Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"You're going to see acts that defy humanity"

+8
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Cameron
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

"You're going to see acts that defy humanity"  Empty "You're going to see acts that defy humanity"

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-27, 10:32

It just keeps happening.

[tw]1618976690797150211?s=20&t=6g44Q9KyUUihu9Hacf4Zmg[/tw]

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

"You're going to see acts that defy humanity"  Empty Re: "You're going to see acts that defy humanity"

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-01-27, 10:37

jesus fucking christ.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

"You're going to see acts that defy humanity"  Empty Re: "You're going to see acts that defy humanity"

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-27, 11:15

...and yet police departments around the country will resist citizen review boards even though they are publically funded. Many publically funded institutions have public oversight, yet police refuse to be accountable to the people who actually fund the police.

The video has not yet been officially released but is expected to be publicly shared Friday evening. It is surveillance and body-camera footage showing five Memphis police officers, who are also Black, interacting with Nichols during his arrest.

Family members and law enforcement officials who have privately reviewed the footage have described it as harrowing, showing him being kicked, punched and Tasered less than 100 yards from his home, and capturing the beating from the vantage point of multiple cameras. Nichols was violently beaten for three minutes by police officers and treated like “a human piñata,” lawyers for his family said.

“What I saw on the video today was horrific,” said Nichols’s stepfather, Rodney Wells. “No father or mother should see what we had to see.”

“I’m sickened by what I saw,” Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director David B. Rausch told reporters Thursday, calling the officers’ actions “absolutely appalling.”

Meanwhile, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis described the circumstances surrounding Nichols’s death as “horrific” and has said she expects people to feel “outrage” when they view the footage. Davis spoke with Nichols’s family before a private viewing of the body-camera footage, warning them, “I’m not proud of what you’re about to see,” according to Wells.

Attorney Ben Crump, who is representing the family, said the body-camera footage reminded him of the Los Angeles Police Department beating of Rodney King more than three decades ago — an attack that was also captured on video and that sparked widespread protests and sought to change the national conversation about police reform.

The last words heard on the video were Nichols calling for his mother three times, Crump added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-happened-to-tyre-nichols-what-we-know-about-the-memphis-police-video/ar-AA16OjNI

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-27, 11:21

The police unions use their unique position as representing a sector which has the right to use deadly force to intimidate politicians into allowing this charade.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 11:51

Turtleneck wrote:...and yet police departments around the country will resist citizen review boards even though they are publically funded. Many publically funded institutions have public oversight, yet police refuse to be accountable to the people who actually fund the police.

The video has not yet been officially released but is expected to be publicly shared Friday evening. It is surveillance and body-camera footage showing five Memphis police officers, who are also Black, interacting with Nichols during his arrest.

Family members and law enforcement officials who have privately reviewed the footage have described it as harrowing, showing him being kicked, punched and Tasered less than 100 yards from his home, and capturing the beating from the vantage point of multiple cameras. Nichols was violently beaten for three minutes by police officers and treated like “a human piñata,” lawyers for his family said.

“What I saw on the video today was horrific,” said Nichols’s stepfather, Rodney Wells. “No father or mother should see what we had to see.”

“I’m sickened by what I saw,” Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director David B. Rausch told reporters Thursday, calling the officers’ actions “absolutely appalling.”

Meanwhile, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis described the circumstances surrounding Nichols’s death as “horrific” and has said she expects people to feel “outrage” when they view the footage. Davis spoke with Nichols’s family before a private viewing of the body-camera footage, warning them, “I’m not proud of what you’re about to see,” according to Wells.

Attorney Ben Crump, who is representing the family, said the body-camera footage reminded him of the Los Angeles Police Department beating of Rodney King more than three decades ago — an attack that was also captured on video and that sparked widespread protests and sought to change the national conversation about police reform.

The last words heard on the video were Nichols calling for his mother three times, Crump added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-happened-to-tyre-nichols-what-we-know-about-the-memphis-police-video/ar-AA16OjNI

Then i suppose we’ll have to… uh, remove the funds. Unfund. I wish there were a better word… until they comply
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-27, 11:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:...and yet police departments around the country will resist citizen review boards even though they are publically funded. Many publically funded institutions have public oversight, yet police refuse to be accountable to the people who actually fund the police.

Then i suppose we’ll have to… uh, remove the funds. Unfund. I wish there were a better word… until they comply

Change needs to come from within the Police, which as they keep being embarrassed by all the news reporting in their atrocities has some chance of happening, but it will take time.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 11:56

Trapper Gus wrote:

Change needs to come from within the Police, which as they keep being embarrassed by all the news reporting in their atrocities has some chance of happening, but it will take time.

Something something bridge to sell you something something

Also just going to flat out ignore that you’re saying “we’ll just have to accept the unnecessary murders they keep committing until they decide they are too embarrassed about the murdering they keep doing”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-01-27, 12:12

says a lot when a satire outlet is the voice of reason, logic and fact.

"You're going to see acts that defy humanity"  FnbfXfIWAAAxz0k?format=jpg&name=small
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-27, 12:16

Trapper Gus wrote:

Also just going to flat out ignore that you’re saying “we’ll just have to accept the unnecessary murders they keep committing until they decide they are too embarrassed about the murdering they keep doing”

I'm looking at the political realities, and I am not saying we don't need to try to make things better.

There is a large, and it may be a majority of the population, group that thinks everything is just fine the way it is.

Therre is a large minority of the population, the MAGA crowd, who is against any change to the police and who believe that these murders are a good thing. (Ugg)

Ignoring that completely is poor politics.

Then there is the fact that the Police Unions are politically quite powerful, and most politicians who gain office are not going to mess with them.

Thus, the "change from within the system" conclusion, as the most likely solution, and we are seeing some of that. The police being retrained to be less trigger happy is happening in some departments.

We don't have a magic wand to change what is.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-27, 12:24

I have no interest in watching that horror movie. I will not for one second look at the video. Doesn’t mean that I’m not outraged. Worst term ever created was the term.” defund the police.” Good Lord, do we need money redirected into counseling, teaching police officers, how to D escalate problems, and hiring more social workers for police departments.

But there are two things I will bet anybody $1000. One, it won’t happen like it needs to happen Two, there are police officers walking around in our country right now that saw the George Floyd trial that are aware of these five police officers in Memphis, and yet will commit crimes against citizens still. Even though they know they have body cameras on. Guys, I think we’ve gone to deep into the abyss, we are one fucked up country
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 12:29

Trapper Gus wrote:

I'm looking at the political realities, and I am not saying we don't need to try to make things better.

There is a large, and it may be a majority of the population, group that thinks everything is just fine the way it is.

Therre is a large minority of the population, the MAGA crowd, who is against any change to the police and who believe that these murders are a good thing. (Ugg)

Then there is the fact that the Police Unions are politically quite powerful, and most politicians who gain office are not going to mess with them.

Thus, the "change from within the system" conclusion, as the most likely solution, and we are seeing some of that. The police being retrained to be less trigger happy is happening in some departments.

You are not a politician traps, and this is not a legislative body. By ignoring what actually needs to be done and not talking about it because some people won’t agree, you only ensure that those views continue to be further entrenched.

Talking about it here there and everywhere is how people get exposed to messages and come around to them. “Playing good politics” on a goddamn message board is first of all silly, but also how the current status quo continues to get further entrenched.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 12:30

DWags wrote:I have no interest in watching that horror movie. I will not for one second look at the video. Doesn’t mean that I’m not outraged. Worst term ever created was the term.” defund the police.” Good Lord, do we need money redirected into counseling, teaching police officers, how to D escalate problems, and hiring more social workers for police departments.

But there are two things I will bet anybody $1000. One, it won’t happen like it needs to happen Two, there are police officers walking around in our country right now that saw the George Floyd trial that are aware of these five police officers in Memphis, and yet will commit crimes against citizens still. Even though they know they have body cameras on. Guys, I think we’ve gone to deep into the abyss, we are one fucked up country

The term itself doesn’t meant anything anymore m. They could have used any combination of words. The right wing machine took hold of it and turned it against them as political spin. So yeah, now it’s not a good phrase to use. But what it actually means in practice is still a worthwhile idea.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser and Cameron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-27, 13:25

Trapper Gus wrote:

You are not a politician traps, and this is not a legislative body. By ignoring what actually needs to be done and not talking about it because some people won’t agree, you only ensure that those views continue to be further entrenched.

Talking about it here there and everywhere is how people get exposed to messages and come around to them. “Playing good politics” on a goddamn message board is first of all silly, but also how the current status quo continues to get further entrenched.

Okay, I guess, though I sort of like the art of the possible over the art of the perfect.

So, discussing solutions which might actually be doable is out, in favor of just being outraged by outrageous events?

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-27, 14:59

[tw]1619006645656502273?s=46&t=xrJo1KXBqHGKi5fTjkwcBQ[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser, Cameron and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 15:44

Trapper Gus wrote:

Okay, I guess, though I sort of like the art of the possible over the art of the perfect.

So, discussing solutions which might actually be doable is out, in favor of just being outraged by outrageous events?

Let me give you an example. You never ever get to Obamacare (massively flawed, not nearly comprehensive enough) if all you ever talk about is wanting to do obamacare. You get to obamacare by talking about how we need Medicare for all, then arrive at obamacare momentarily, then you continue talking about how we need Medicare for all until eventually you take that next step toward it.

So fine, if you want to constrain yourselves within the bounds of only talking about what Joe Manchin might approve of, you can do that. But I’ll continue to discuss what the actual solutions need to be whether they are immediately doable or not
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 15:47

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1619006645656502273?s=46&t=xrJo1KXBqHGKi5fTjkwcBQ[/tw]

I do think that the conversation about policing has a lot less to do with race than is often talked about. Is there a racial element sometimes, sure of course there is. There always is no matter what we’re talking about, this is America after all. But I think that they’d be more than happy to execute me as a middle class white guy to fulfill their power fantasies given the chance as well.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-01-27, 16:02

Trapper Gus wrote:

This might be the dumbest thought you've ever had.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and Rocinante like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-27, 17:38

[tw]1619097669129109504?s=46&t=hl-PrRMvOu4WkRqtEL16bQ[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-27, 21:03

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1619097669129109504?s=46&t=hl-PrRMvOu4WkRqtEL16bQ[/tw]

I guess he’s talking about the side where all of them are fired and up on murder charges?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-27, 23:41

For those of us that like to hang our hats on what’s cops say about incidents without any evidence, and those holding their breath hoping they’ll just reform on their own- the cops statement the day after

[tw]1619169271770136576[/tw]

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-01-28, 07:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:For those of us that like to hang our hats on what’s cops say about incidents without any evidence, and those holding their breath hoping they’ll just reform on their own- the cops statement the day after

[tw]1619169271770136576[/tw]

They really should have just included "yada yada yada" in a couple of spots.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Rocinante likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-28, 08:11

[tw]1619272826204327936?s=21[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 08:19

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Oh no, it has plenty of competition for "dumb things that TG has said".

Scoff all you like, however any real solution will need to be owned by the police.  Activists can push on them for that solution, but until the police change how they think all that pushing will have limited effectiveness.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-28, 08:34

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

FDR: “December 7th, a day that will live in infamy…. but ya know, changes have to come from within Japan, we strenuously hope another attack like this will not happen again”
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 08:42

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

FDR: “December 7th, a day that will live in infamy…. but ya know, changes have to come from within Japan, we strenuously hope another attack like this will not happen again”

Pete, now repeat.

You guys are ignoring the obvious.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 09:00

Maybe if we all close our eyes tightly enough at the same time when we open then the cops will have decided they feel bad about what they’ve done

Sure yeah okay

Anyway were these cops drug tested? Just kidding I know they weren’t but every single cop should be periodically drug tested (perhaps they’ll voluntarily start doing this) and they should be immediately after this type of interaction whether they think they did anything wrong or not
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 09:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Maybe if we all close our eyes tightly enough at the same time when we open then the cops will have decided they feel bad about what they’ve done

Sure yeah okay

Anyway were these cops drug tested? Just kidding I know they weren’t but every single cop should be periodically drug tested (perhaps they’ll voluntarily start doing this) and they should be immediately after this type of interaction whether they think they did anything wrong or not

By inference I feel like you guys are trying to pin positions on me that I haven't taken.

Of course we need outrage at the actions of the police, still lasting change will not occur until the Police decide to change their training and methods, which some departments are doing.

Report on "Bystander" Training

NPR Interview regarding police traning 2020

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/17/988331517/former-police-officer-says-training-methods-for-cops-need-to-change

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-01-28, 09:20; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-28, 09:19

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1619006645656502273?s=46&t=xrJo1KXBqHGKi5fTjkwcBQ[/tw]

She's spot on. But it's also about Socio-economic oppression. Plenty of poor white people are way over "serviced" by police forces all over the country. If you go to any jail and in anytown USA and think you'll find middle class folks there, you're mistaken. Of course it's an undeniable huge percentage of total population of skin color who are locked up. But poor white folk are very much oppressed too. Thus it's always been thus it seems it will always be.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 09:22

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Maybe if we all close our eyes tightly enough at the same time when we open then the cops will have decided they feel bad about what they’ve done

Sure yeah okay

By inference I feel like you guys are trying to pin positions on me that I haven't taken.

Of course we need outrage at the actions of the police, still lasting change will not occur until the Police decide to change their training and methods, which some departments are doing.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/17/988331517/former-police-officer-says-training-methods-for-cops-need-to-change

Yeah the bystander was a real fuckin hit in the situation that this thread is about.

The reality that you have to wrap your mind around is that cops are by nature dim witted thugs who couldn’t get a better job and that they aren’t going to change a goddamn thing unless you drag them kicking and screaming and probably fire 75% of them.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser and Cameron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 09:28

Trapper Gus wrote:

Yeah the bystander was a real fuckin hit in the situation that this thread is about.

The reality that you have to wrap your mind around is that cops are by nature dim witted thugs who couldn’t get a better job and that they aren’t going to change a goddamn thing unless you drag them kicking and screaming and probably fire 75% of them.

The third article addresses one of the major issues in police training, that for most departments it is not rigorous enough because there is not enough funding for it.

Burn the system down is what the MAGA people want.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 09:41

Trapper Gus wrote:

Lol what? Burn the governmental system down, sure, maybe. But not cops. They fucking love cops and genuinely would prefer a police state.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 09:45

Trapper Gus wrote:

Lol what? Burn the governmental system down, sure, maybe. But not cops. They fucking love cops and genuinely would prefer a police state.

Burn the system down is a mindless cry of outrage, which just creates chaos.  Policing needs reform.

edit - oh yah, they were sure loving the police on January 6th, 2020.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-28, 09:48

There ain’t no amount of “training” that was going to change what happened to Nichols. Nothing.

I’m sure there’s an article I can find that will be a long read on what nuances were involved in the one cop staggering around waiting until he could get his wits about himself to beat Nichols while four other cops held him.

Yeah, more training should do the trick.  Maybe a few dale carnegie courses.

Dollar to a donut any “training reform classes” are openly mocked within.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 09:51

kingstonlake wrote:There ain’t no amount of “training” that was going to change what happened to Nichols. Nothing.

I’m sure there’s an article I can find that will be a long read on what nuances were involved in the one cop staggering around waiting until he could get his wits about himself to beat Nichols while four other cops held him.

One person's outraged opinion.

However, training works, it is why people are trained.

edit - without knowing the training in that particular department it still can be said that those officers were exhibiting the behavior that too many police people have been trained to follow, basically a military style training that "everyone who isn't a policeperson is your enemy and you must "get them" before they "get you"".

edit 2 - thinking about how people on this board are reacting, it appears to me to be creating a counterproductive to solving the issues emotionally situation. Firing these five murderers isn't going to solve the systemic policing issues, nor would firing 75% of all the police. Training, training training, driven from without & within is a significant part of the solution. Probably independent review boards for every police department would also be ideal, though hard to make happen, due to the police unions.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-01-28, 10:04; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-01-28, 10:01

Just gonna leave this here before we fetishize spending tons of money training cops: https://defector.com/cop-city-is-a-step-toward-cop-nation
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-28, 10:01

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:There ain’t no amount of “training” that was going to change what happened to Nichols. Nothing.

One person's outraged opinion.

However, training works, it is why people are trained.

edit - without knowing the training in that particular department it still can be said that those officers were exhibiting the behavior that too many police people have been trained to follow, basically a military style training that "everyone who isn't a policeperson is your enemy and you must "get them" before they "get you"".

Be patient. Change in training, hiring, recruiting, union protection, and mindset must come from within.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 10:08

Trapper Gus wrote:

Burn the system down is a mindless cry of outrage, which just creates chaos.  Policing needs reform.

You know sometimes it’s ok to just admit that you’re dead fucking wrong.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 10:11

Cameron wrote:Just gonna leave this here before we fetishize spending tons of money training cops: https://defector.com/cop-city-is-a-step-toward-cop-nation

The article makes it pretty clear that this has little to do with police training and everything to do with lining the pockets of the people who get the contracts to build these facilities.

That said, if the police are going to be trained, they need facilities to be trained at.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-01-28, 10:14

Trapper Gus wrote:

You know sometimes it’s ok to just admit that you’re dead fucking wrong.

I accept your admission /s

What is going on here is a bunch of you all have been riled up by another example of what happens when the police are trained to believe that everyone who isn't a police person is the enemy.

The current police training is the logical problem, and you all seem to be refusing to accept that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 10:20

This is disgusting they should ask nicely instead

https://www.wsj.com/articles/french-union-cuts-power-to-pressure-macron-on-pensions-11674815439
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next