Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.

+11
duffy munn
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
DWags
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.  Empty 2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.

Post by DWags Sun 5 Feb 2023 - 12:59

FFS.

[tw]1622263227206754304?s=46&t=F9t51QKmGqlIJAt6ZBg03Q[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.  Empty Re: 2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.

Post by kingstonlake Sun 5 Feb 2023 - 13:13

62-100
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.  Empty Re: 2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.

Post by GRR Spartan Sun 5 Feb 2023 - 13:52

Dwags has got DETROT BASEBALL Spring Training Fever.

Like the kid who is given a shovel, pointed to a barn full of dung and thinks there's a pony in there for him.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Sun 5 Feb 2023 - 16:18; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 5 Feb 2023 - 15:15

That drought doesn't look to be ending anytime soon
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 20 Feb 2023 - 9:43

[tw]1627677370470608904[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 20 Feb 2023 - 11:22

That’s twice now on twitter I’ve seen someone qualify Miggy’s retirement by saying it’s his “final Tigers’ spring training.” Has he said he’d be open to playing elsewhere next year?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 20 Feb 2023 - 11:31

tGreenWay wrote:That’s twice now on twitter I’ve seen someone qualify Miggy’s retirement by saying it’s his “final Tigers’ spring training.” Has he said he’d be open to playing elsewhere next year?

Thanks, because I don't remember him saying it out loud either.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon 20 Feb 2023 - 11:37

Who the hell else would he play for? They’d have to pick up his future salary.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 12:13

[tw]1641471628218454016[/tw]

81 wins over or under?

I'll go with 72.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 12:30

DWags wrote:FFS.

[tw]1622263227206754304?s=46&t=F9t51QKmGqlIJAt6ZBg03Q[/tw]

Sort of a misleading tweet.

Apparently, the author wasn't comparing time between each championship, just looking for events which were the same number of years apart. To some, myself included, that was too subtle a point.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 12:59

Over under for the Tigers this year is 69. Cabrera’s batting seventh tomorrow. I’m not judging contracts because it was a great shining and we had a great time with him. But this is a cautionary tale of long-term anything isn’t it?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 12:59

This year I recognize more than Cabrera and Baez as starters.

So sad.  
When you get moved to DH they forget how to spell you name
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 13:11

GRR Spartan wrote:This year I recognize more than Cabrera and Baez as starters.

So sad.  

I don’t know about you guys when I was a kid I knew every tiger what position they played where they were batting, and I was pretty close to all of their batting averages. I pretty much knew that through high school and started slowly tailing off in college.

my senior year in 1984, we all knew everything once again, because it was such a great season.

Now, I’m a fan, I want them to win, but I am hard-pressed to name any starters or where they are batting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:01

DWags wrote:Over under for the Tigers this year is 69. Cabrera’s batting seventh tomorrow. I’m not judging contracts because it was a great shining and we had a great time with him. But this is a cautionary tale of long-term anything isn’t it?

Nice
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:02

Also I don’t think Cabrera’s contract, which is now modest by modern standards, is the reason they are not good at this point. They are not good because of mismanagement for the first several years of rebuilding, and poor use of assets.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:12

And really Cabrera is one of those generational talents that never get to realize their potential in Detroit. I'd rather pay and not see him Barry'd or Megatron'd.

Just disgusting they didn't get their championship in the 2010's...

And he's fun and likable.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:29

AvgMSUJoe wrote:And really Cabrera is one of those generational talents that never get to realize their potential in Detroit. I'd rather pay and not see him Barry'd or Megatron'd.

I have never, in my entire life, given one care, about salaries and baseball. You can pay every Tiger $100 million and it has nothing to do with potential victories. Specially when there is no cap. I never understood anyone that complained about the amount of money That baseball players were getting, because once again, with no cap, it makes no difference.

My point about a cautionary tale, is that the athletic body, that performs at such a high level, can break down pretty damn fast.

In football and basketball when you have to deal with cab space Etc. I think fans have a legitimate gripe if money and long-term contracts are overused.

And yes, I know heavy spending causes prices at the ballpark to go up, but as a fan, I am all for out, spending other teams for talent in baseball. In football the guy like Aaron Rodgers can screw your team at the end of his career.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:29

DWags wrote:

So sad.  

I don’t know about you guys when I was a kid I knew every tiger what position they played where they were batting, and I was pretty close to all of their batting averages. I pretty much knew that through high school and started slowly tailing off in college.

my senior year in 1984, we all knew everything once again, because it was such a great season.

Now, I’m a fan, I want them to win, but I am hard-pressed to name any starters or where they are batting.

We paid less attention to stats and more attention to things like individual fielding mannerisms and batting stances. We used to impersonate all the Tigers hitters, at least the ones with interesting styles and swings, along with their quirky habits. In the field, if a ground ball bounced high and was a breeze to play, it was called a Veryzer Hop, though I think George Kell might’ve named that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:33

DWags wrote:

So sad.  

I can still give you the starting line up from the 75 Tigers and they lost 19 straight games. Now I know Miggy plays for the Tigers.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:39

DWags wrote:

So sad.  

I can still give you the starting line up from the 75 Tigers and they lost 19 straight games. Now I know Miggy plays for the Tigers.
tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

We paid less attention to stats and more attention to things like individual fielding mannerisms and batting stances. We used to impersonate all the Tigers hitters, at least the ones with interesting styles and swings, along with their quirky habits. In the field, if a ground ball bounced high and was a breeze to play, it was called a Veryzer Hop, though I think George Kell might’ve named that.

Everyone imitated Dick McAuliffe's batting stance and a George Kell impersonation. Look out!
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:40

AvgMSUJoe wrote:And really Cabrera is one of those generational talents that never get to realize their potential in Detroit. I'd rather pay and not see him Barry'd or Megatron'd.

How do you define not realized potential, not winning a WS? In his prime they went to the playoffs four straight years, reaching the WS once where they got swept. Would have won it all as a youngster in 2006 if the Tiger pitchers could field the ball
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:42

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

tGreenWay wrote:

Everyone imitated Dick McAuliffe's batting stance and a George Kell impersonation. Look out!

And Ernie’s “And a fan from Bad Axe caught that foul ball.” When I was just a wee one, it confused the heck out of me how Ernie would know where all those people were from. lol
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 14:45

If the Tigers went back to using this opening theme on their radio broadcasts, I’d start listening before the game began. Never should’ve gotten rid of it.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 15:17

We need a bad ass in the dugout

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.  04a24b10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 15:24

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

And Ernie’s “And a fan from Bad Axe caught that foul ball.” When I was just a wee one, it confused the heck out of me how Ernie would know where all those people were from. lol

For me it was "he stood there like the house by the side of the road"

George was my favorite though. "Thanks Larry and good afternoon everybody" "There's a high sky today." It will be Leflore to lead it off, he'll be followed by Sutherland ad then Kaline" He's the first pitch of the ballgame" "Line drive speared by Brinkman!"

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 30 Mar 2023 - 18:22

"its long gone"

Ernie, with that Georga drawl, always gave one the impression he was talking right to you.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 3 Apr 2023 - 11:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:

81 wins over or under?

I'll go with 72.

I'm changing my guess. Make it 22.

[tw]1642877771549425665[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 3 Apr 2023 - 11:40

At least Jake Rogers looks like he could have played for the '84 team.

2023 Tigers. The quest for a World Series.  Current
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 4 Apr 2023 - 6:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm changing my guess. Make it 22.

21 to go
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 14:08

Man, Gibby sounds like its getting to him. No
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 15:14

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

George was my favorite though. "Thanks Larry and good afternoon everybody" "There's a high sky today." It will be Leflore to lead it off, he'll be followed by Sutherland ad then Kaline" He's the first pitch of the ballgame" "Line drive speared by Brinkman!"

That’s freaking perfect. The only thing missing would be the crickets off in the distance as I listened to a transistor radio Up North. (Ernie, not George. That would be a different type of setup.)
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

M-22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 21:09

Fuck these fucking fucks. I’m not going to one game this year. Empty the whole roster, send it down to AAA, bring your AAs up.

[tw]1646672840144420864?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 23:41

Yeah if they can afford to pay that guy $120 million they don't need my money.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Apr 2023 - 3:38

Not even halfway through April. Gonna be a long season.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 14 Apr 2023 - 15:10

Yikes... all year just stupid shit left and right.

Hasse on second, ball hit to short... Hasse runs to third, no force, no reason. it's literally right in front of him...da fuq?

So baseball can be a nice sport to waste summer evenings on WHEN THE TEAM ISN'T COMPLETE ASS PLAYING LIKE A REC LEAGUE U11 TEAM otherwise it's just fucking painful.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 15 Apr 2023 - 0:10

Maton boom
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 15 Apr 2023 - 13:35

They’re only down 4-0 in the second. Looking great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 16 Apr 2023 - 7:01

Heavy C with the GW base knock
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 16 Apr 2023 - 18:32

Can we all agree that maybe illitch sr. Spoiled the children and they just can’t run his organization? Guys, I have 15 years left maybe. One more World Series championship. Can Ishbia buy them?

[tw]1647726016670969857?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by M-22 Mon 17 Apr 2023 - 19:56

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

That’s freaking perfect. The only thing missing would be the crickets off in the distance as I listened to a transistor radio Up North. (Ernie, not George. That would be a different type of setup.)

You missed the static in the background if you were listening to the game during a local thunderstorm.
M-22
M-22
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next