Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.

+9
Nordic
Rick Saunders
NigelUno
Jake from State Farm
duffy munn
The Pantry
Motown Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
13 posters

Go down

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  Empty Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.

Post by DWags 2023-02-07, 20:02

Best meal ever. Why were we so much smarter as kids about what was good.

Cheered you up

Tasted good

Got you out of dull drums

Didn’t need a gas stove

Was cool if your mom cut it at an angle or you just ate it whole.

LWFG.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, duffy munn and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  Empty Re: Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-07, 20:31

Yes, but this needs to be followed up with the follow declarative statement:

It must be fresh, soft, cheap ass white bread and grape Smuckers jelly.

Anything else, you belong in Gitmo.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  Empty Re: Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-02-07, 21:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Yes, but this needs to be followed up with the follow declarative statement:

If it was grape, it was allowed to be Welch’s. Don’t @ me,
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-07, 21:06

Raw milk? Haven't had a PBJ since college. Don't really miss it.

Best quick snack now is 3-4 eggs scrambled to perfection...which is wet. They glisten.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-08, 10:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Yes, but this needs to be followed up with the follow declarative statement:

My wife likes strawberry jam on her PBJ and I hate her for it
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-08, 10:38

duffy munn wrote:

Does thimbleberry jam even exist, or is it just something yoopers made up to keep the trolls occupied searching for it?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 11:11

Jake from State Farm wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Does thimbleberry jam even exist, or is it just something yoopers made up to keep the trolls occupied searching for it?
It's a real thing. Best jam on the planet.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-08, 11:28

The Pantry wrote:

It's a real thing.  Best jam on the planet.

$43.00 for 8 ounces including shipping from some lady in Eagle River. I might have to pass on that.

https://www.thimbleberryjamlady.com/
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 12:46

The Pantry wrote:

$43.00 for 8 ounces including shipping from some lady in Eagle River. I might have to pass on that.

I'm seeing 8oz for $25 and 4oz for $15 Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  2599972566

oops....missed the shipping
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-08, 12:49

The best jam is whatever your Grandma made.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-02-08, 12:53

See. Here's how you know Bob's sincere and has prolly never been up north. Didn't most of you have a mom that made jam? Geesus. Doesn't have to be thimbleberry but it sure as hell wasn't grape. Yeah, I'll eat commercial grape jelly but a DWags style PBJ that makes you go all Anton Ego has Mom's jam gotdammit.

I feel sorry for you Bob.

I take that back, you had ramps and branch lettuce didn't you? Now I'm jealous.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-08, 13:34

The Pantry wrote:

That would be green grass and high tides forever. The outlaws.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 13:48

Rick Saunders wrote:

See.  Here's how you know Bob's sincere and has prolly never been up north.  Didn't most of you have a mom that made jam?  Geesus.  Doesn't have to be thimbleberry but it sure as hell wasn't grape.  Yeah, I'll eat commercial grape jelly but a DWags style PBJ that makes you go all Anton Ego has Mom's jam gotdammit.

I feel sorry for you Bob.

I take that back, you had ramps and branch lettuce didn't you?  Now I'm jealous.
used to go diggin' for ramps every spring in the holler behind Maw's house (my grandmother was 'Maw' - mean as a fucking snake.. 'ol Appalachia grandmother, dirt poor, dipped snuff and had an outhouse when I was real little. I remember walking on this trail out to where it was. She finally got indoor plumbing maybe around 1975-76. I remember her letting me shoot cans off a fence post when I was, like, 5 and made me promise not to tell my Mom and Dad. She'd put a pinch of snuff in and shoot with me). Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

We'd bring the ramps back to Mom (who was much nicer than Maw.. no offense to Maw. She had a rough-ass life). Mom would saute them in bacon grease with branch lettuce in the same cast iron skillet I used to cook lunch this afternoon.

goddamm... I'd almost forgot about those days. Been 45+ years.

Thanks, man.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-08, 14:07

Peanut butter and honey. You'll never go back.

Toasted PBJ with blackberry jam is solid too

Last edited by Nordic on 2023-02-08, 14:12; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-02-08, 14:10

Nordic wrote:Peanut butter and honey. You'll never go back.

Tested PBJ with blackberry jam is solid too

Slight layer of butter on an English muffin, topped with PB & honey is the best.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-02-08, 14:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
used to go diggin' for ramps every spring in the holler behind Maw's house (my grandmother was 'Maw' - mean as a fucking snake.. 'ol Appalachia grandmother, dirt poor, dipped snuff and had an outhouse when I was real little. I remember walking on this trail out to where it was. She finally got indoor plumbing maybe around 1975-76. I remember her letting me shoot cans off a fence post when I was, like, 5 and made me promise not to tell my Mom and Dad. She'd put a pinch of snuff in and shoot with me).  Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

We'd bring the ramps back to Mom (who was much nicer than Maw.. no offense to Maw. She had a rough-ass life). Mom would saute them in bacon grease with branch lettuce in the same cast iron skillet I used to cook lunch this afternoon.

Thanks, man.

If I could upvote that 1000x I would.   Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  969504605

I think I met Maw round about 1983ish.  I was with some buds backpacking somewhere in the Raven Fork watershed (can't remember where exactly) and we ran into a couple folks who told us they were picking branch lettuce.  They got a good chuckle out of us because we didn't know what that was.  These people were pretty nice though and didn't make too much fun of us for being northern college kids.  We could not have been mistaken for "rich" northern college kids though because otherwise we woulda been in Daytona or Myrtle beach or some other boring place instead of hacking around the semi-snowy mountainous woods during spring break.

I forgot to add... DWags, you know you can make mac-n-cheese on an electric stove, right?
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 14:26

Rick Saunders wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
used to go diggin' for ramps every spring in the holler behind Maw's house (my grandmother was 'Maw' - mean as a fucking snake.. 'ol Appalachia grandmother, dirt poor, dipped snuff and had an outhouse when I was real little. I remember walking on this trail out to where it was. She finally got indoor plumbing maybe around 1975-76. I remember her letting me shoot cans off a fence post when I was, like, 5 and made me promise not to tell my Mom and Dad. She'd put a pinch of snuff in and shoot with me).  Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

Thanks, man.

If I could upvote that 1000x I would.   Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  969504605

I think I met Maw round about 1983ish.  I was with some buds backpacking somewhere in the Raven Fork watershed (can't remember where exactly) and we ran into a couple folks who told us they were picking branch lettuce.  They got a good chuckle out of us because we didn't know what that was.  These people were pretty nice though and didn't make too much fun of us for being northern college kids.  We could not have been mistaken for "rich" northern college kids though because otherwise we woulda been in Daytona or Myrtle beach or some other boring place instead of hacking around the semi-snowy mountainous woods during spring break.

I forgot to add... DWags, you know you can make mac-n-cheese on an electric stove, right?
I love this - Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

(another post forthcoming)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 14:33

so I got bored (shocking, right) and through the magic of Google street view, I found Maw's house.

Holy hell - this was from 2013 (per the page on Google). Maw died in the early 2000's and Habitat For Humanity got a hold of her house afterwards. This is the spruced up version. When I was a little kid,  you could see daylight through the walls and the wind would move the curtains.  Neutral

no idea who the folks on the porch and the yard are. Could be family? I'm not sure whatever happened to the house, but I could see some relatives living there.

anyway, this is pretty awesome. Stirred up a lot of memories (good and bad), some deep stories of generational trauma. Just a really rough life, but you can see the mountains in the back, down to the rusty barn. The fence over on the left is where she'd cackle as I shot cans off of the posts. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

again, thanks. I might pour some Beam and raise a glass to 'ol Maw. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  Maw_s10
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Travis of the Cosmos, The Pantry, Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-08, 14:39

Is Wonderbread the key to your physique?

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 14:41

Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

I thought we were talking about when we were kids.. ya know, back when we had the metabolism of a field mouse on amphetamines.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-02-08, 14:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so I got bored (shocking, right) and through the magic of Google street view, I found Maw's house.

Holy hell - this was from 2013 (per the page on Google). Maw died in the early 2000's and Habitat For Humanity got a hold of her house afterwards. This is the spruced up version. When I was a little kid,  you could see daylight through the walls and the wind would move the curtains.  Neutral

no idea who the folks on the porch and the yard are. Could be family? I'm not sure whatever happened to the house, but I could see some relatives living there.

anyway, this is pretty awesome. Stirred up a lot of memories (good and bad), some deep stories of generational trauma. Just a really rough life, but you can see the mountains in the back, down to the rusty barn. The fence over on the left is where she'd cackle as I shot cans off of the posts. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

again, thanks. I might pour some Beam and raise a glass to 'ol Maw. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  Maw_s10

I love this story because in some way it reminds me of my family's past in Ohio, a couple of generations before me. My great grandfather owned this sizeable farm in Van Buren, OH just on the other side of 75 from the town proper. I think that I-75 actually might have gone through one of his fields way back when. He settled that farm sometime in the 1890s.

Anyway, one of my great aunts and uncles, uncle David & aunt Mildred, had their house on route 613 on the east side of 75. Probably long before 75 went through and the exit/entrance ramps were built for 613. You know what happens when an interchange is built, right? Businesses pop up, like gas stations and whatnot. One of the first businesses that opened at that interchange was an adult novelty store.  So here they are, from their front porch they don't have a view of a meadow or mountains like your Maw, they have a view of a sex toy boutique. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-02-08, 15:00

I love most variations of PB&J that I have tried. Hard to beat the classic, but I do enjoy peanut butter and banana, especially with crunchy peanut butter (though I generally prefer smooth).
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 15:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:so I got bored (shocking, right) and through the magic of Google street view, I found Maw's house.

I love this story because in some way it reminds me of my family's past in Ohio, a couple of generations before me. My great grandfather owned this sizeable farm in Van Buren, OH just on the other side of 75 from the town proper. I think that I-75 actually might have gone through one of his fields way back when. He settled that farm sometime in the 1890s.

Anyway, one of my great aunts and uncles, uncle David & aunt Mildred, had their house on route 613 on the east side of 75. Probably long before 75 went through and the exit/entrance ramps were built for 613. You know what happens when an interchange is built, right? Businesses pop up, like gas stations and whatnot. One of the first businesses that opened at that interchange was an adult novelty store.  So here they are, from their front porch they don't have a view of a meadow or mountains like your Maw, they have a view of a sex toy boutique. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600
awww man, I hate to laugh, but.. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  502811600

funny coincidence - I was driving out to Rose Lake yesterday and was on the service road (or whatever it's called) that runs alongside I-69 toward Perry. I passed by the Lion's Den - Adult Boutique or whatever sign. From the highway, it looks pretty big. From the service road, I was like "wow - can you imagine that thing being practically in your front yard". The thing was massive.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-08, 16:00

Nordic wrote:Peanut butter and honey. You'll never go back.

Toasted PBJ with blackberry jam is solid too

Blackberry jam is good.

Underrated...apricot.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 16:45

The Pantry wrote:
It's a real thing.  Best jam on the planet.

Ordered from The Jampot in Eagle Harbor a few times.  Excellent thimbleberry jam.  $82 for three 9oz jars including 2-day ground shipping.  Was about $20 cheaper 4-5 years ago.  From their site:

A very poor crop in 2020 and a disastrous crop of thimbleberries in 2021, as well as increased demand locally and out of the area has caused the price of this highly coveted jam to significantly increase.  We are still able to offer a small discount for the trio.

My favorite use of the jam is on a buttered English muffin.  Would never put it on a PBJ sandwich.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-08, 16:59

Jam snobs are the worst.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 17:07

NigelUno wrote:The best jam is whatever your Grandma made.  

My mom made great thimbleberry jam.

Remember cruising the back roads in the Keewenaw with my family/grandparents in the Suburban.  My mom could spot thimbleberry bushes on the side of the road from at least 50 yards.  Stopped the truck and everyone got out to pick.  2nd week of August was best.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-08, 17:08

Cameron wrote:I love most variations of PB&J that I have tried. Hard to beat the classic, but I do enjoy peanut butter and banana, especially with crunchy peanut butter (though I generally prefer smooth).

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  992749028

I'm calling a foul on this one.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-08, 17:10

The Pantry wrote:

I think Phish's Boucning Around the Room is a pretty sweet jam.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 17:10

NigelUno wrote:JamSnob snobs are the worst.
fify

At least the real snobs know what they're talking about.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-08, 17:46

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Yes, but this needs to be followed up with the follow declarative statement: when i in 2nd grade we took a field trip to the wonder bread factory Detroit. Now the site of the motor city casino. At first I thought smell was nice but after a couple hours it started to make me quessy. At the end they offered us a piece of fresh bread and I hurled on the spot. To this day even the sight of a loaf of wonder bread turns my stomach

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-08, 18:07

I used to make strawberry freezer jam. Good stuff. I should get a strawberry patch going this year and make it again.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-08, 18:31

Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Gonna try this again ( fucking mobile) When I was in 2nd grade we took a filed trip to the wonder bread factory in Detroit. Motor City casino is on the site now.

At first I thought it was cool and smelled good but after about an hour I started getting queasy. At the end of the tour they offered us a piece of fresh baked wonder bread. I hurled on the spot. To this day, over 50 years later, my stomach turns at the mere sight of a loaf of wonder bread. Even packaged in the store.

Crazy what you remember.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-08, 19:26

duffy munn wrote:
Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Gonna try this again ( fucking mobile) When I was in 2nd grade we took a filed trip to the wonder bread factory in Detroit. Motor City casino is on the site now.

At first I thought it was cool and smelled good but after about an hour I started getting queasy. At the end of the tour they offered us a piece of fresh baked wonder bread. I hurled on the spot. To this day, over 50 years later, my stomach turns at the mere sight of a loaf of wonder bread. Even packaged in the store.

Crazy what you remember.
it is crazy how the mind works, yet those are the things that keep us connected.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-08, 20:07

duffy munn wrote:
Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Crazy what you remember.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-08, 20:14

duffy munn wrote:
Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Crazy what you remember.

Went to the one in Lansing off of what used to be Logan Street. They gave us each a whole loaf. I think I wadded a bunch of pieces up and we had bread ball fights on the way back to school.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-08, 20:23

duffy munn wrote:
Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Crazy what you remember.

Is the package the same today as it was back then? I know that this is what they look like today but is it the same

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  41mHGfEASmL
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-02-08, 20:50

duffy munn wrote:
Nordic wrote:

6' 3-11/16"
238lbs
48 RHR
110/70 BP

Crazy what you remember.
Went to a dairy factory on a field trip in 1st-2nd grade. All I remember was a really long trough/vat of cottage cheese and getting a small carton of milk at the end. That vat was pretty gross. Kinda surprised I still like cottage cheese. Gawd, I hope bunches of snot-nosed little kids are no longer allowed to tour dairy processing facilities.

Remember the Wonder bread TV commercials in the 60's..."Helps build strong bodies 12 ways". What a crock of shit. Worst bread ever concocked but marketing made it famous.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-08, 21:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Crazy what you remember.

Is the package the same today as it was back then? I know that this is what they look like today but is it the same

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  41mHGfEASmL

Just hurled again. Thanks Travis.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Travis of the Cosmos and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-08, 22:00

Nordic wrote:
Cameron wrote:I love most variations of PB&J that I have tried. Hard to beat the classic, but I do enjoy peanut butter and banana, especially with crunchy peanut butter (though I generally prefer smooth).

Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a glass of milk.  992749028

I'm calling a foul on this one.

Don't Be Cruel
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down