Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time?

+11
AvgMSUJoe
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
MSU addict
NigelUno
Cameron
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
15 posters

Go down

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? Empty Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 15:48

What say you, swill?
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? Empty Re: Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 15:51

It’s an excellent sandwich but have you had the cold cut combo at subway
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? Empty Re: Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time?

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 15:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What say you, swill?

I say, I picture would help..

But here is the lobster Crab leg burger I had in Saugatuck Sunday.

It was, perhaps, the best sandwich I had all year. Only ate half, but the sauce had a bite.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? A19b3d11

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-08-25, 16:08

If we're not going into specific sandwich from a specific restaurant, but rather sticking to sandwich archetypes, then I would submit that the Monte Cristo is a superior sandwich to the Reuben.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-25, 16:16

I'm going to go with yes pending further review.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-25, 16:20

Cameron wrote:If we're not going into specific sandwich from a specific restaurant, but rather sticking to sandwich archetypes, then I would submit that the Monte Cristo is a superior sandwich to the Reuben.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 200
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 16:24

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? Photo1jpg
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-25, 16:29

DWags wrote:

It was, perhaps, the best sandwich I had all year. Only ate half, but the sauce had a bite.

Brings up the philosophical question - is a burger a sandwich?
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-25, 16:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? Photo1jpg
While tasty, definitely not a sandwich.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-25, 16:34

MSU addict wrote:
DWags wrote:

Brings up the philosophical question - is a burger a sandwich?

Is a lobster roll (with crab) a sandwich? If you eliminate the roll and put it on top of a burger?

Too much going on. Keep it simple DWags.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 16:40

that's a fucking hot dog travis
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 16:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It’s an excellent sandwich but have you had the cold cut combo at subway

That’s the sandwich of pedophiles, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-25, 16:48

While not a true "reuben" - but I would say a pastrami reuben is my favorite sandwich. Russian dressing is a must, don't even try to pass off thousand island.

Pastrami is basically smoked corned beef, how is that not superior to regular corned beef?

I have been known to make my own pastrami, and frankly it is awesome. I usually make my own Russian dressing as well.

My wife is a Brooklyn born Jew. My mother in law will tell you that my reubens are the best she has had. I won't go that far, but they are pretty damn good. They live not far from us and come over at least once a week for dinner. About once a month she asks "when's rueben night?"
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-08-25, 16:54

Pastrami on thicc Rye with Swiss cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing for me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 16:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:that's a fucking hot dog travis

I read on the internet that it counts
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-25, 17:35

Cameron wrote:If we're not going into specific sandwich from a specific restaurant, but rather sticking to sandwich archetypes, then I would submit that the Monte Cristo is a superior sandwich to the Reuben.
It is a worthy contender. Are we talking the Disneyland version (deep fried powdered sugar, raspberry jam) or the more basic ham (sometimes with turkey) gruyere, mayo, mustard, dipped in egg and grilled?

The monte cristo is a bit sweet for me, I prefer a reuben with the right amount of sauerkraut and a fair amount of horseradish in the russian dressing (why I often make my own). A good sandwich is all about balance.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-25, 17:38

TBD but definitely in the playoff. My nod goes to pastrami and swiss w/kraut on marbled rye.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-08-25, 18:15

MSU addict wrote:While not a true "reuben" - but I would say a pastrami reuben is my favorite sandwich. Russian dressing is a must, don't even try to pass off thousand island.

Pastrami is basically smoked corned beef, how is that not superior to regular corned beef?

I have been known to make my own pastrami, and frankly it is awesome. I usually make my own Russian dressing as well.

My wife is a Brooklyn born Jew. My mother in law will tell you that my reubens are the best she has had. I won't go that far, but they are pretty damn good. They live not far from us and come over at least once a week for dinner. About once a month she asks "when's rueben night?"

This post is accurate. Reuben can be made with either corned beef of pastrami. But it must be GOOD CB or pastrami. Anything less and the sandwich is bad after a couple of bites. I highly recommend the Star Deli in southfield. 12 and Telegraph. I regularly drive down and order the meats ( both pastrami and CB) extra lean by the pound.

Typical order:
1lb extra lean corned beer
1lb extra lean pastrami
1 loaf rye bread ( baked on site) sliced
4 onion rolls
pint tuna salad
1/2 pound cole slaw
1/2 pint russian dressing
4 dills ( 2 old, 2 new) leave em hole

Gotta buy the mclures sauerkraut from the store.

Sandwiches for a couple of days and then corned beef pastrami hash for a sunday breakfast.

Warning: this order cost well over $100 but worth every single penny.

Also, the Star is owned and operated by the most authentic jews ever. Which helps.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-08-25, 18:38

Tldr
The answer is yes.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-25, 18:42

Grilled cheese for the win.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-25, 19:01

Hell yes. The Reuben is the sandwich I use to gauge any restaurant not tried before. If they really fuck it up, won't be going back for anything else.

In truth, there are not many good Reuben places around here. Difficult as it is to admit, Ziggerman's makes one of the best tasting Reubens in SE Michigan. But, they're fuckers and chintz on the corned beef and charge an absurd amount.

There's one place here that makes a decent basic Reuben, but if you don't instruct them otherwise they will give you a mustard/horseradish dressing. It's okay but not a true Reuben.

Some places say "Russian dressing". Russian dressing reminds of Catalina dressing...way too sweet...are they the same thing?. True Reuben dressing is Thousand Island IMO..."on the side please".

The good Reuben place near me makes a far better pastrami and swiss on grilled rye with no sauerkraut or dressing. Killer sandwich.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 19:09

NigelUno wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Brings up the philosophical question - is a burger a sandwich?

Is a lobster roll (with crab) a sandwich? If you eliminate the roll and put it on top of a burger?

Too much going on. Keep it simple DWags.

WTF?

Its bread with a burger and crustaceans on top with a zip sauce of some sort? How complicated is that? It has one more ingredient than a grilled cheese.

But man, I’d eat one right now
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-25, 19:12

The Pantry wrote:Hell yes. The Reuben is the sandwich I use to gauge any restaurant not tried before. If they really fuck it up, won't be going back for anything else.

In truth, there are not many good Reuben places around here. Difficult as it is to admit, Ziggerman's makes one of the best tasting Reubens in SE Michigan. But, they're fuckers and chintz on the corned beef and charge an absurd amount.

There's one place here that makes a decent basic Reuben, but if you don't instruct them otherwise they will give you a mustard/horseradish dressing. It's okay but not a true Reuben.

Some places say "Russian dressing". Russian dressing reminds of Catalina dressing...way too sweet...are they the same thing?. True Reuben dressing is Thousand Island IMO..."on the side please".

The good Reuben place near me makes a far better pastrami and swiss on grilled rye with no sauerkraut or dressing. Killer sandwich.

When this guy has a take on a meal and a condiment it is written stone. No substitutes allowed! 😂
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-25, 19:33

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Hell yes. The Reuben is the sandwich I use to gauge any restaurant not tried before. If they really fuck it up, won't be going back for anything else.

When this guy has a take on a meal and a condiment it is written stone. No substitutes allowed! 😂
Thanks for chiming in, fucking Steve.

Again, what happened to leaving this board for good?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 19:34

steveschneider wrote:Grilled cheese for the win.

Thanks, gramps.

Heat: Do we have have a “shaking their head ‘no’” emoji? Can we get one? You could even make the input code :steve:

Fucking Steve.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2021-08-25, 19:44; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-08-25, 19:39

I normally respect your takes, but thousand island is sweeter than Russian dressing. This is fact, not really debatable.

Funny that both are ketchup-mayo (OK, sometimes chili sauce) based as I know your disdain for ketchup. Russian dressing has horseradish, which I believe you like.

As I said, I prefer to make my own "Russian" dressing. No relish and fairly pretty heavy on the horseradish and onion (freshly grated).
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-25, 19:41

MSU addict wrote:

I normally respect your takes, but thousand island is sweeter than Russian dressing. This is fact, not really debatable.

Funny that both are ketchup-mayo (OK, sometimes chili sauce) based as I know your disdain for ketchup. Russian dressing has horseradish, which I believe you like.

As I said, I prefer to make my own "Russian" dressing. No relish and fairly pretty heavy on the horseradish and onion (freshly grated).

Team MSU addict. That sounds amazing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-25, 19:43

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Thanks for chiming in, fucking Steve.

Again, what happened to leaving this board for good?

That was just a bit. You ever see a sitcom where someone declares they are gone for good and then two seconds later they are back? Plus, you guys are my friends!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-25, 19:44

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Grilled cheese for the win.

Thanks, gramps.

Do we have have a “shaking their head ‘no’” emoji? Can we get one? You could even make the input code :steve:

Fucking Steve.

SMH that’s ageism. Please attend one of your sensitivity lectures.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 19:45

No
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-08-25, 19:45

I'm not going to argue with you. Nor would I argue with anyone that wants to toss out grilled cheese or roast beef sandwiches.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 19:46

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Thanks, gramps.

Do we have have a “shaking their head ‘no’” emoji? Can we get one? You could even make the input code :steve:

Fucking Steve.

SMH that’s ageism. Please attend one of your sensitivity lectures.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 1811933421
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-25, 19:59

MSU addict wrote:

My experience with Russian dressing is it's overly sweet, similar to Catalina. Not even close to Thousand Island in taste, which is much less sweet. Your take on Russian dressing must be the way you make it. Never a hint of horseradish in any Russian or Catalina I ever tasted.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-08-25, 19:59

God damnmmit... I fully agree with this post. Even the thousand island on the side.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-25, 21:21

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Hell yes.  The Reuben is the sandwich I use to gauge any restaurant not tried before.  If they really fuck it up, won't be going back for anything else.

In truth, there are not many good Reuben places around here.  Difficult as it is to admit, Ziggerman's makes one of the best tasting Reubens in SE Michigan.  But, they're fuckers and chintz on the corned beef and charge an absurd amount.

There's one place here that makes a decent basic Reuben, but if you don't instruct them otherwise they will give you a mustard/horseradish dressing.  It's okay but not a true Reuben.  

Some places say "Russian dressing".  Russian dressing reminds of Catalina dressing...way too sweet...are they the same thing?.  True Reuben dressing is Thousand Island IMO..."on the side please".

The good Reuben place near me makes a far better pastrami and swiss on grilled rye with no sauerkraut or dressing.  Killer sandwich.
God damnmmit... I fully agree with this post. Even the thousand island on the side.
At least we agree on something Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 969504605

The plain pastrami and swiss.  Sometimes dream about it.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 20180611
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-08-25, 21:36

The Pantry wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:
At least we agree on something Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 969504605

The plain pastrami and swiss.  Sometimes dream about it.

Is the reuben sandwich the best sandwich of all time? 20180611

No swiss needed. Just yellow mustard on an onion roll.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-08-25, 22:18

Like onion rolls for burgers. Gotta be grilled rye for pastrami.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-08-26, 07:37

Has anyone tried this place yet?
Sandwich with one pound of corned beef
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down