Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics

+9
DWags
GRR Spartan
Rick Saunders
TravelinMan
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
RQA
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics Empty Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics

Post by RQA Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:52 am

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/warren-buffett-slams-critics-stock-buybacks-after-democrats-scrutiny-economic-illiterate

And in so doing implies he thinks Biden is an economic illiterate given this quote from his annual letter to shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway.  

"When you are told that all repurchases are harmful to shareholders or to the country, or particularly beneficial to CEOs, you are listening to either an economic illiterate or a silver-tongued demagogue (characters that are not mutually exclusive)."
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics Empty Re: Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:10 am

We have a favorite rich guy?

I thought we were using "wealthy", not "rich".

If we have one, wouldn't he be someone who has donated $$$ to MSU?

Should we open the floor for nominations?

edit -
Axios wrote:Buybacks are a form of financial engineering; often they're paid for not out of profits but from borrowing money in the debt markets.

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/27/why-investors-like-warren-buffett-are-so-fond-of-stock-buybacks

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics Empty Re: Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:39 am

Of course Ishbia unless he starts getting into politics... then, probably NOT Ishbia.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:41 am

Broad gave a bunch of $$$

Izzo has too.

Steve Smith?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:43 am

We don't have a favorite rich guy. However, GreenWay is launching a new cafeteria-style restaurant in Warren called Warren Buffet.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:44 am

Did I miss the poll? Is voting still open?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:46 am

kingstonlake wrote:Did I miss the poll? Is voting still open?

I think it has been decided for us even though our favorite rich guy is obviously Guest.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and RQA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 am

I'm thinking this is only the nomination thread, as Herr RQA has informed us of the need for this position.

Once we have the nominations you can start the polling thread?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am

I nominate Guest. He is long gone from the board, but he definitely has money stored in old raw milk glass bottles that are buried all over Mio.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:58 am

RQA and TM both retired in their 40's like good Rs do... So how about them?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:58 am

I would like to nominate Jack Nicklaus
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:RQA and TM both retired in their 40's like good Rs do... So how about them?

That makes me frugal, not rich. LOL!
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 am

TravelinMan wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:RQA and TM both retired in their 40's like good Rs do... So how about them?

Then officially we have it... TM is the board cheapskate. RQA is the rich guy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and RQA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Then officially we have it... TM is the board cheapskate. RQA is the rich guy.

I can live with that. king
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and RQA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:18 am

tSwill will now raise RQA's marginal tax rate to 99% and redistribute the spoils to programs that help posters like Cam and OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and RQA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

I think it has been decided for us even though our favorite rich guy is obviously Guest.

Though of empty pockets and children in college, indeed I rich be.

Who is rich? He that rejoices in his portion. Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it... There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of its filling a vacuum, it makes one. If it satisfies one want, it doubles and trebles that want another way.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:43 pm

Rick Saunders wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Though of empty pockets and children in college, indeed I rich be.

Who is rich? He that rejoices in his portion. Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it... There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of its filling a vacuum, it makes one. If it satisfies one want, it doubles and trebles that want another way.

Well TN is saying we all are, so there is that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:32 pm

Buy backs serve a purpose.  

However in years with historic profits that are already rewarding stockholders, he plan to buy back stock to further increase stock prices could be tweaked.   

For example, add a 20% Federal Tax to the buy back 10% to the company for funds allocated for the buyback and 10% on the profits realized by the stockholders who sell the stock back.  

PS 

Turtleneck, 
Can interest you in a Nut House franchise opportunity?

Then you can be your favorite Swill rich person in addition to being your Swill favorite person.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Buy backs serve a purpose.  

However in years with historic profits that are already rewarding stockholders, he plan to buy back stock to further increase stock prices could be tweaked.   

For example, add a 20% Federal Tax to the buy back 10% to the company for funds allocated for the buyback and 10% on the profits realized by the stockholders who sell the stock back.  

PS 

Turtleneck, 
Can interest you in a Nut House franchise opportunity?

Then you can be your favorite Swill rich person in addition to being your Swill favorite person.

Are you talking about St. Lawrence in Bay City?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:18 pm

Wasn’t TM like 32? And isn’t it rQa who is benevolent to his employees and lets them work 4 hour shifts? Or do I have them mixed up?

Anyway, I vote those two our favorite rich guys. Fuck Ishbia. He shoulda bought the Packers. And fuck any other rich guy who crashes a spaceship on our campus and calls it art.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:22 am

Turtleneck wrote:We don't have a favorite rich guy. However, GreenWay is launching a new cafeteria-style restaurant in Warren called Warren Buffet.

It was time to expand my footprint beyond new car sales in Central Lower Michigan. But when you want the best deal anywhere, be sure to visit the middle of the Mitten: Stop by Harrison Ford.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:25 am

Also, I thought George Soros was our favorite rich guy? I didn’t get the memo. When did that change?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:28 am

tGreenWay wrote:Also, I thought George Soros was our favorite rich guy? I didn’t get the memo. When did that change?

Yesterday according to Herr RQA
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:53 am

I think the outrage caused by stock buybacks started with companies accepting Covid money in the same year they were doing buybacks, which is complete shit.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:02 am

Motown Spartan wrote:I think the outrage caused by stock buybacks started with companies accepting Covid money in the same year they were doing buybacks, which is complete shit.

Maybe for widespread outrage?

Progressives have been outraged ever since the income taxes on capital gains were changed from being the same as the rest of income to 20%, during George W Bush, I think at the beginning of the Reagan Administration.  That bunches of the Trump Corporate Tax Cut money were used for stock buy backs was also an outrage. since the argument for the tax cuts was that companies would use it to expand their businesses.

As noted, stock buy backs are stock manipulation and tax avoidance, and with corporate management borrowing money to buy back stocks it has become a way of reduction of the financial health of the balance sheets of some companies.  (Companies which have too much cash who do it are only avoiding taxes for those selling the dried-out stock. (If more stock issued waters down stock value, then reducing outstanding stock must be "drying" stock value Wink ))
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:13 am

The top cap gains rate of 20% only applies to those earning more than like $492,000. The vast majority of Americans pay a top rate of 15% while many others pay 0. So, more than 95% of tax payers pay lower cap gains taxes than 20%.

However…of that 95%+ of Americans, more than 80% is held in tax deferred accounts that are taxed at regular income tax rates when withdrawn, which can be more or less than 15%.

Taxes are fun. Buy backs aren’t bad except when done so with taxpayer money.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:23 am

Motown Spartan wrote:The top cap gains rate of 20% only applies to those earning more than like $492,000. The vast majority of Americans pay a top rate of 15% while many others pay 0.  So, more than 95% of tax payers pay lower cap gains taxes than 20%.

However…of that 95%+ of Americans, more than 80% is held in tax deferred accounts that are taxed at regular income tax rates when withdrawn, which can be more or less than 15%.

Thanks for the detail, and for pointing out the taxes on IRAs / 401ks / etc, where many of the 99% have their stock investments, and the unfairness of that should be clear.

Another unfairness is that much of the stock is owned by the 1%, so they are the ones getting a huge tax break.

Even more unfair is the rule which resets the purchase price of stock to the value on the day of the death of the former owner so that taxes on the capital gains during the former owner's lifetime on inherited stock are never paid.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:38 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:The top cap gains rate of 20% only applies to those earning more than like $492,000. The vast majority of Americans pay a top rate of 15% while many others pay 0.  So, more than 95% of tax payers pay lower cap gains taxes than 20%.

Thanks for the detail, and for pointing out the taxes on IRAs / 401ks / etc, where many of the 99% have their stock investments, and the unfairness of that should be clear.

Another unfairness is that much of the stock is owned by the 1%, so they are the ones getting a huge tax break.

Even more unfair is the rule which resets the purchase price of stock to the value on the day of the death of the former owner so that taxes on the capital gains during the former owner's lifetime on inherited stock are never paid.

Agree to disagree.  I deal with people every single day that have net worths of less than a million dollars, and many with less than a half a million dollars that benefit from the capital gains cost basis reset rules.  Just because they favor the wealthy doesn’t mean they don’t benefit the middle.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

RQA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:06 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Agree to disagree.  I deal with people every single day that have net worths of less than a million dollars, and many with less than a half a million dollars that benefit from the capital gains cost basis reset rules.  Just because they favor the wealthy doesn’t mean they don’t benefit the middle.

Sorry if it sounds like I was saying there is no benefit to the 99%, just that much of the benefit is for the 1%, who btw, tend to earn more of their income via income from investments, which means the income tax avoidance via capital gains is meaningful to their taxes paid. There are plenty of studies which back this concept up.

(Let's not get into the obscene practice of the super wealthy of borrowing money with their investment portfolios as supposed collateral who thus are able to claim much lower amounts of income than they enjoy)

(Also, I mean by the "the 99%" and "the 1%" that these are place holders for dividing where the income of the group comes from, and not percentages of the population)
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:16 pm

In the name of full transparency, I am not retired.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:19 pm

Rick Saunders wrote: Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it....

True, but as Cher (IIRC) said: "I've been poor and I've been rich, I prefer rich"
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:22 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:The top cap gains rate of 20% only applies to those earning more than like $492,000. The vast majority of Americans pay a top rate of 15% while many others pay 0. So, more than 95% of tax payers pay lower cap gains taxes than 20%.

The capital gains tax should be low, even zero, as that allows for the most efficient flow of capital which leads to a better economy which makes your life better.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:23 pm

RQA wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:The top cap gains rate of 20% only applies to those earning more than like $492,000. The vast majority of Americans pay a top rate of 15% while many others pay 0. So, more than 95% of tax payers pay lower cap gains taxes than 20%.

The capital gains tax should be low, even zero, as that allows for the most efficient flow of capital which leads to a better economy which makes your life better.

That’s plain dumb shit. Elon isn’t gonna fuck you kid
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 pm

RQA wrote:

Only true if the supply side is constrained by too little capital, which in the US isn't the case.

The last couple years have shown that the constraints are on the demand side of the equation, which we all knew by the fact that businesses could find nothing better to do with their additional cash than stock buybacks.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:31 pm

RQA wrote:

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5gy8ye63wekwwex9et9mvuxbrfnpn3yoyau444llp&rid=200
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:10 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Travis tries to argue against a low (preferably zero) capital gains tax rate.

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:38 pm

RQA wrote:

Travis tries to argue against a low (preferably zero) capital gains tax rate.

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989

Not arguing with you because you’re not worthy of that Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989 Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989 just telling you you’re a dumb fuck Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:20 pm

Not arguing with you because you’re not worthy of that Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989 Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989 just telling you you’re a dumb fuck Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 2803167989

And more arguments against a low capital gains tax from Travis. I guess that's the best he can do.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:06 pm

Cameron wrote:
RQA wrote:

Swill Bin favorite rich guy slams stock buyback critics 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5gy8ye63wekwwex9et9mvuxbrfnpn3yoyau444llp&rid=200
Agree... that might be the dumbest thing I've read on tSwill.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:46 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

You sonuvabitch! I told you that in SECRET! Let’s fight!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next