Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread

+6
DWags
Jake from State Farm
HT
Herbie Green
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 24 Jul 2018 - 17:59

Strange doings at Phish's Gorge shows over the weekend. Turns out the East Coast Hippie Crack Mafia is sitting out the West Coast swing.

They deal nitrous oxide balloons and have a history of violence and intimidation.

So in stepped the Neo-Nazis at The Gorge. They sold out their tanks on Saturday (night 2 of 3 night run) but not before stomping two guys.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jul 2018 - 18:20

What kind of world are you luring our OTPT into?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 24 Jul 2018 - 19:08

LooseGoose wrote:What kind of world are you luring our OTPT into?

I'm pretty sure he knows about nitrous. Here's an old article on the HCM. But it's on point

https://www.villagevoice.com/2010/07/06/inside-the-nitrous-mafia-an-east-coast-hippie-crack-ring/
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 24 Jul 2018 - 20:36

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Strange doings at Phish's Gorge shows over the weekend. Turns out the East Coast Hippie Crack Mafia is sitting out the West Coast swing.

They deal nitrous oxide balloons and have a history of violence and intimidation.

So in stepped the Neo-Nazis at The Gorge. They sold out their tanks on Saturday (night 2 of 3 night run) but not before stomping two guys.

It stands to reason the East Coast Hippie Mafia wouldn’t want to step on turf owned by the West Coast Hippie Mafia.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jul 2018 - 21:17

After reading the village voice article I'm not going near one of those crime infested festivals. Not when I can listen to XTC right here and think of Roc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sat 25 Aug 2018 - 17:48

Free webcast tonight. Dead should hit stage around 915.

https://relix.com/live/

Entire festival being streamed
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu 29 Nov 2018 - 13:17

Dead and Company announce Summer 19 tour.

19 shows (6 stadium gigs)

https://www.jambase.com/article/dead-company-summer-tour-2019

Starts at Shoreline and ends with 2 shows at Folsom Field
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 29 Nov 2018 - 14:17

The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 3493939353
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu 29 Nov 2018 - 15:05

Seeing a band tonight - TempeTantrum Light.

Great new band - they jam well. You should see them.

Holly Bowling, Tom Hamilton, Steve Lyons, Raina Mullen and Scotty Zwang

Jesus. The name of the band is G-host Light

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Thu 29 Nov 2018 - 19:02; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 29 Nov 2018 - 16:11

LooseGoose wrote:What kind of world are you luring our OTPT into?

lol!!! Goose is killing me in this thread.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:32

Strangelove, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way to listen to the Dead is live and live only(live albums, etc) - no? I'm reading a book by the drummer and he (among the actual music) convinced me that this is true.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Strangelove, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way to listen to the Dead is live and live only(live albums, etc) - no? I'm reading a book by the drummer and he (among the actual music) convinced me that this is true.

Well they did make studio albums it's just they aren't as good as the live stuff. And they don't "tour" the new album like other bands who play 5 or 6 cuts off the new record.

The Dead would often play the new stuff before it made the album. Touch of Grey debuted in 82 but they didn't bother to release it until 87.

So yeah live is better.

There are 5 main eras of The Dead.
Pigpen. Band inception until his death in 72
Keith and Donna. Until they get fired from The Dead and then Keith dies in 79.
Brent. My favorite. Until his death in 90
Hornsby/Vince. Until Jerry dies in 95.
Post Jerry - Phil and Friends, Ratdog, The Dead, The Other Ones, Rhythm Devil's, Fare Thee Well, solo stuff and Dead and Company.

Most people say 77 was their peak. It's really good but other years are great too. 72 Europe. 78 before Egypt. 89/90 after Jerry's coma.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 7:22

Otpt did you see the Dead documentary on Amazon? I thought it was pretty good. Also I thought this came up before but put me down for the Pig Pen era.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/grateful-dead-mn0000988440/discography/all

I have every album from the first one right up to Europe. The three live albums are amazing but I also really like Working Mans Dead and American Beauty.

Question for Doc, what’s the big later 70s show? Was it Cornell 77? I’ll have to give that one a listen later.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 7:31

Cornell 77 has been proclaimed the best ever but you can't go wrong with 77 in general. Listen to Red Rocks 78 (dicks picks 18). Great show
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:22

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Cornell 77 has been proclaimed the best ever but you can't go wrong with 77 in general. Listen to Red Rocks 78 (dicks picks 18). Great show

So I've listened to a little bit of the Cornell 77. Very early impression, I definitely prefer earlier 70's Bob. The Jerry tunes are great.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:23

Just read about the Egypt trip in this book. How fucking amazing that would have been. Bill Walton was there, of course.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:29

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Just read about the Egypt trip in this book. How fucking amazing that would have been. Bill Walton was there, of course.

You're young enough to pick a band, quit your job, follow them for 20 years and write a book.   Go for it man.   I wish I had done that in 1977, I'd still be raking the royalties in.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:36

LooseGoose wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Just read about the Egypt trip in this book. How fucking amazing that would have been. Bill Walton was there, of course.

You're young enough to pick a band, quit your job, follow them for 20 years and write a book.   Go for it man.   I wish I had done that in 1977, I'd still be raking the royalties in.

Do you want my paypal to fund this? I’m in.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:44

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Christ almighty....someone funding you takes the adventure out of it. Throw yourself on the mercy of your new road friends. You'll have stories to tell in no time at all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:47

LooseGoose wrote:

Christ almighty....someone funding you takes the adventure out of it. Throw yourself on the mercy of your new road friends. You'll have stories to tell in no time at all.

What band do i follow?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:55

LooseGoose wrote:

What band do i follow?

Well you don't want a band of old fuddy duddies....and they need to tour a lot....ask Bob or Doc. Are there any young "jam" bands out there that tour relentlessly?

Once you have your band, sell everything and embrace van life. Buy your gas at Flying J or Love's and you'll have clean showers. Read all about how to live the life here: Van Life
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 13:42

Follow G-Host Light. They are less than a year old and still playing clubs. They're gonna be huge like WSP huge.

The Dead paid for Egypt with their first Giants Stadium show. Tickets were an outrageous $15 (they had been charging $7.50) Willie and Waylon followed by The Dead. Waylon no showed and The New Riders of the Purple Sage filled in.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 4 Dec 2018 - 13:48

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Follow G-Host Light. They are less than a year old and still playing clubs. They're gonna be huge like WSP huge.

The Dead paid for Egypt with their first Giants Stadium show. Tickets were an outrageous $15 (they had been charging $7.50) Willie and Waylon followed by The Dead. Waylon no showed and The New Riders of the Purple Sage filled in.

There's a good band for OTPT> NROTPS. You check that shit out yet? First album is good. Flying Burrito Brothers are also amazing if you are looking for some more west coast hippie shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Dec 2018 - 17:15

I bought a Quicksilver Messenger album on vinyl the other day. The second side is really good.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/quicksilver-messenger-service-mw0000652922

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed 19 Dec 2018 - 17:19

Free Phil and Friends webcast tonight. Live at 11 east.

http://nugs.tv/free/?showID=18
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu 17 Jan 2019 - 20:53

Live audio stream of Dead & Company tour opener in Mexico.
http://mixlr.com/the-hippie-channel
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri 18 Jan 2019 - 12:26

Video replay of last night's D&C show

https://m.twitch.tv/funkyroadsidezoo
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri 8 Feb 2019 - 16:39

https://www.ghostlightband.com/#tour-dates

Go see this band - just announced their spring tour
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:36

Not a John Mayer fan, but Dead fans are digging this today. I know we have a couple here.

[tw]1681029810703724544?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:45

Darn it, Turtleneck, we missed the Gathering!

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:46

The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 Img_2113The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 Img_2113
The Phish, Dead, Jam Band thread - Page 2 Img_2114
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 17:51

tGreenWay wrote:Darn it, Turtleneck, we missed the Gathering!

I wonder if the poor air quality is from the Canadian fires or from whatever they do at The Gathering. Next year we will rent an RV so Bob and DWags can go.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jul 2023 - 18:37

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Darn it, Turtleneck, we missed the Gathering!

I wonder if the poor air quality is from the Canadian fires or from whatever they do at The Gathering. Next year we will rent an RV so Bob and DWags can go.

If your eyes water, it’s Canadian wildfires. If your eyes water and your nose burns, it’s the Gathering.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2