Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution?

5 posters

Go down

Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution? Empty Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution?

Post by Trapper Gus 17/06/23, 09:54 am

The 13th Amendment has an exception in its elimination of slavery, which ever since Reconstruction was ended has been used to enslave African Americans.

Now there is a movement to amend the Constitution to eliminate this exception, and high time too.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-constitutions-exception-slavery-faces-renewed-battle-ahead/story?id=99766378

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 17/06/23, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution? Empty Re: Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 17/06/23, 09:58 am

Yes. Next question.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution? Empty Re: Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution?

Post by Trapper Gus 17/06/23, 10:00 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yes. Next question.

Will you all be telling your Congressperson & Senators you support this?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 17/06/23, 10:05 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yes. Next question.

Oh my Congress person would never go for something like that she’s basically a Republican but sure why not yolo
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 17/06/23, 10:46 am

No.

I think the Constitution should say “Slavery is banned” period.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 17/06/23, 05:43 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Oh my Congress person would never go for something like that she’s basically a Republican but sure why not yolo

Who is your Rep?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 17/06/23, 05:58 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Who is your Rep?
Same as yours
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 17/06/23, 06:06 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Who is your Rep?
Same as yours

I didn’t realize her district extended into Dewitt. I don’t mind that she’s more centrist, and I’ll take Slotkin over Barrett every time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 17/06/23, 06:09 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Same as yours

I didn’t realize her district extended into Dewitt. I don’t mind that she’s more centrist, and I’ll take Slotkin over Barrett every time.  
I get that there’s a lot of rural area in there so democrats feel that they need to act like republicans to win (debatable), but that doesn’t mean that I’ll ever support her in a primary or that we’d really see eye to eye on very many things.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 17/06/23, 06:11 pm

I think her running for senate is a terrible idea for a state that is progressively leaning more and more left and there’s no reason why we need to elect fuckin Joe Manchin here. 

Not that she’s as bad as he is, I just can’t think of another example at the moment. We’re a blue enough state that we don’t need to centeryist center middle person that we can find to try to win.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 06/10/23, 09:14 am

State Sen. Michael Webber (R-Rochester Hills) and Rep. Mark Tisdel (R-Rochester Hills) introduced measures that would eliminate from the Michigan Constitution slavery as a punishment for crime.

Senate Joint Resolution G and House Joint Resolution G would remove an exception for slavery or involuntary servitude as a punishment for crime. In its current state Section 9 of Article 1 of the Michigan Constitution, reads, “Neither slavery, nor involuntary servitude unless for the punishment of crime, shall ever be tolerated in this state.”

“This is a commonsense update to something that doesn’t belong in the Michigan Constitution in the first place,” Webber said. “I am confident this important correction will receive support from all sides of the aisle and in both chambers.”

https://michiganadvance.com/blog/republicans-seek-to-remove-slavery-as-criminal-punishment-from-michigan-constitution/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 06/10/23, 09:30 am

So prisoners shouldn't have to work?
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 06/10/23, 09:34 am

Zurn wrote:So prisoners shouldn't have to work?

Not involuntarily and they should be paid the going wages for the work they do voluntarily.

Are you really defending slavery?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 06/10/23, 10:14 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:So prisoners shouldn't have to work?

Not involuntarily and they should be paid the going wages for the work they do voluntarily.

Of course I am not defending slavery. Don't be a tool.

I have never heard that prisoners "duly convicted of a crime" stamping out license plates while incarcerated was slavery until today.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 06/10/23, 10:29 am

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Of course I am not defending slavery.   Don't be a tool.

I have never heard that prisoners "duly convicted of a crime" stamping out license plates while incarcerated was slavery until today.  

I forgive your total lack of knowledge of how the southern states make "being black" a felony and proceeded to "legally" incarcerate their black populations back into slavery.  It isn't a secret, it has even been used fairly often as a plot in the movies, but, probably due to white privilege, apparently not much of the non-black population knows this was done.  These states also made being convicted for a felony a lifetime disqualification for voting.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 06/10/23, 01:10 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:

I forgive your total lack of knowledge of how the southern states make "being black" a felony and proceeded to "legally" incarcerate their black populations back into slavery. .

Please educate me as to these felony laws in southern states that make being black a felony.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 06/10/23, 01:37 pm

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I forgive your total lack of knowledge of how the southern states make "being black" a felony and proceeded to "legally" incarcerate their black populations back into slavery. .

Please educate me as to these felony laws in southern states that make being black a felony.

You are not Socrates and I am not your foil.

In the day of instant gratification on questions you are capable of answering questions of your ignorance yourself using the internet.

Here is a link.

https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2021/06/convict-leasing-system/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 06/10/23, 05:11 pm

Gus, we all recognize the failure of Reconstruction and the evils of the Jim Crow era. Your link is interesting but the last time reference is 1941. Convict leasing may well have been cruel and unusual punishment. But note the use of past tense.

I have no problem with prisoners being required to work. I see people cleaning up the highways as part of their DUI punishment. Are you against that too? Are those people slaves?

There is some merit to the "can't to the time, don't do the crime" mantra.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 06/10/23, 06:12 pm

Zurn wrote:Gus, we all recognize the failure of Reconstruction and the evils of the Jim Crow era.   Your link is interesting but the last time reference is 1941.   Convict leasing may well have been cruel and unusual punishment.   But note the use of past tense.  

I have no problem with prisoners being required to work.  I see people cleaning up the highways as part of their DUI punishment.  Are you against that too?   Are those people slaves?

There is some merit to the "can't to the time, don't do the crime" mantra.

Yes if they are being forced to work they are slaves.  Head hitting stupid I have to tell you this.

The white privilege skating on crimes black people do time for is so prevalent it is impossible you aren't aware of it.

Some workers are not paid at all, including the majority in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas.

I wonder what those states have in common, ... wait for it ... oh yes, they all had slavery before the War of Rebellion.

Many workers report discrimination in how jobs are assigned. “Any job outside the kitchen is given mostly to white inmates,” said Jesus, who is incarcerated in Illinois. An anonymous inmate at the same facility reported that “white inmates get the plumbing, electrician, and carpentry jobs,” which are higher-paying and help them acquire skills and experience to improve employment prospects upon release, while people of color get “none of the jobs that can actually train us to get a good job on the outside.” Such practices contribute to systemic inequities that disproportionately impact communities of color.

But that doesn't mean that systemic white privilege & racism doesn't happen all over in prisons.

https://www.aclu.org/news/human-rights/captive-labor-stories-of-involuntary-servitude

Or in the Justice System before prison

Throughout the nation, people of color are far more likely to enter the nation’s justice system than the general population. State and federal governments are aware of this disparity, and researchers and policymakers are studying the drivers behind the statistics and what strategies might be employed to address the disparities, ensuring evenhanded processes at all points in the criminal justice system. This primer highlights data, reports, state laws, innovations, commissions, approaches and other resources addressing racial and ethnic disparities within our country’s justice systems, to provide information for the nation’s decision-makers, state legislators.

https://www.ncsl.org/civil-and-criminal-justice/racial-and-ethnic-disparities-in-the-criminal-justice-system

edit - November 5th - related chart and article...

Should the United States Eliminate all Slavery in the Constitution? Scree187

https://19thnews.org/2023/10/black-men-women-incarceration-rates-criminal-justice-reform/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 30/01/24, 09:05 am

Just came across this and thought that it should be added to this thread to provide awareness of how the loophole in the 13th Amendment is used to continue slavery in the United States.

ANGOLA, La. (AP) — A hidden path to America’s dinner tables begins here, at an unlikely source – a former Southern slave plantation that is now the country’s largest maximum-security prison.

Unmarked trucks packed with prison-raised cattle roll out of the Louisiana State Penitentiary, where men are sentenced to hard labor and forced to work, for pennies an hour or sometimes nothing at all. After rumbling down a country road to an auction house, the cows are bought by a local rancher and then followed by The Associated Press another 600 miles to a Texas slaughterhouse that feeds into the supply chains of giants like McDonald’s, Walmart and Cargill.

Intricate, invisible webs, just like this one, link some of the world’s largest food companies and most popular brands to jobs performed by U.S. prisoners nationwide, according to a sweeping two-year AP investigation into prison labor that tied hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of agricultural products to goods sold on the open market.

They are among America’s most vulnerable laborers. If they refuse to work, some can jeopardize their chances of parole or face punishment like being sent to solitary confinement. They also are often excluded from protections guaranteed to almost all other full-time workers, even when they are seriously injured or killed on the job.

https://apnews.com/article/prison-to-plate-inmate-labor-investigation-c6f0eb4747963283316e494eadf08c4e

I believe this is abhorrent and the Constitution must be amended to eliminate this practice.

edit - adding this in from the article which honestly is TL:TR but an eye opening read if read.

Prisoners have been made to work since before emancipation, when slaves were at times imprisoned and then leased out by local authorities.

But after the Civil War, the 13th Amendment’s exception clause that allows for prison labor provided legal cover to round up thousands of mostly young Black men. Many were jailed for petty offenses like loitering and vagrancy. They then were leased out by states to plantations like Angola and some of the country’s biggest companies, including coal mines and railroads. They were routinely whipped for not meeting quotas while doing brutal and often deadly work.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down