Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?

+6
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
The Pantry
DWags
10 posters

Go down

Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?   Empty Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?

Post by DWags Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:13 pm

I’m in a unique area and business where in Oakland Wayne and macomb county my business is largely from the uaw family workers. I absolutely could tell for the last 4-6 weeks people were holding back. Probably anticipating a strike so not spending. In the other three counties up north it’s business as usual. No effect whatsoever.

Are you guys seeing any or is it having an adverse effect on you? Will it if it goes for a while?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?   Empty Re: Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?

Post by The Pantry Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:13 pm

Not yet because the UAW is striking at select plants for now, hitting all the Big 3 at once for the first time.  Their list of demands is kind of wild IMO.

Key demands from the union have included 40% hourly pay increases, a reduced 32-hour workweek, a shift back to traditional pensions, the elimination of compensation tiers and a restoration of cost-of-living adjustments, among other items.

The UAW is nowhere near as big and powerful as it use to be but I think the membership in this article is very understated

For first time in history, union workers strike against all Big Three automakers
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?   Empty Re: Is the UAW strike going to affect anyone here?

Post by kingstonlake Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:17 pm

I’m sure suppliers will be thrilled when the big three demands cuts from their suppliers to help pay for whatever the settle for.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Think the workers were being cautious because they have never experienced selective strikes on plants of all the Detroit 3.

If Chrysler, Ford or GM drew the short stay the other's employees would still be punching in and collecting full pay and benefits thinking they dodged the bullet.

Initially the bars and restaurants around the affected plants are going to suffer first.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:21 pm

The Pantry wrote:Not yet because the UAW is striking at select plants for now, hitting all the Big 3 at once for the first time.  Their list of demands is kind of wild IMO.

Key demands from the union have included 40% hourly pay increases, a reduced 32-hour workweek, a shift back to traditional pensions, the elimination of compensation tiers and a restoration of cost-of-living adjustments, among other items.

The UAW is nowhere near as big and powerful as it use to be but I think the membership in this article is very understated

For first time in history, union workers strike against all Big Three automakers
From what I read, the demands are mimicking the executives... seems fair to me.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:31 pm

Proud union member here, but in the MEA.

America needs to support our workers.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:54 pm

I’m not having to make as many doughnuts as I usually do.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:28 am

UAW ends Ford strike after tentative deal reached...

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/10/uaw-reaches-tentative-agreement-with-ford-sending-20000-employees-back-to-work.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:32 am

Trapper Gus wrote:UAW ends Ford strike after tentative deal reached...

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/10/uaw-reaches-tentative-agreement-with-ford-sending-20000-employees-back-to-work.html

This deal puts a lot of added pressure on GM and Stellantis as their margins are slightly smaller than Fords.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:38 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:UAW ends Ford strike after tentative deal reached...

This deal puts a lot of added pressure on GM and Stellantis as their margins are slightly smaller than Fords.

A study this month by Moody’s Investor Service found that annual labor costs could rise by $1.1 billion for Stellantis, $1.2 billion for GM and $1.4 billion for Ford in the final year of the contract. The study assumed a 20% increase in hourly labor costs.

Wheaton said the companies are making billions and now can afford the higher labor costs, which he estimated are 6% to 8% of the cost of a vehicle.

https://apnews.com/article/auto-workers-ford-stellantis-general-motors-agreement-strike-a09c482d25590810054de9daa017748b
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:54 am

reports that a tentative agreement has been reached.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am

Time to make the doughnuts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 am

Mary Bara and the GM negotiating committee were holding out when they saw the light. It was a market share train for trucks pulling away.

But when Stellantis joined Ford and the UAW announced the GM truck plant in Arlington TX was the next for targeted plants, GM saw the light.

Never thought the UAW as going to get their initial ask of 40% wage increases and think that was a starting point to get rid of the tiered workforce.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:11 pm

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/31/toyota-raises-uaw-strike-ford-gm
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Stellantis offering buyouts to about half its US salaried employees
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:19 pm

Toyota, then Honda and today Hyundai announced pay raises.

At Honda they've cut the seniority from 6 to 3 years to get the top hourly wage on the assembly line.

I suspect Toyota and Hyundai made similar changes.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:33 pm

The Pantry wrote:

Always a precursor to layoffs. Gotta take the buyout if offered.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:48 pm

Why are they turning these down?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Why are they turning these down?

Because they want a job and automotive pays very well. Maybe you’ve worked there for 20+ years. Maybe you have family here and don’t want to move. Maybe you just bought a house or had a kid.

The smart ones will take buyout and start the job hunt now. If they don’t get enough takers (and they won’t), they will start cutting. But there won’t be enough open spots for everyone. Especially at the same pay/level.

I don’t think it is an easy decision to take it, but it is the right decision.

Last edited by Nordic on Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 pm

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Lot of workforce to offer to let go at one time.  Did Stellantis overstaff?  JMO...my place has been doing the same thing over a year.  The "foreign" investment firm that bought our place hoping to flip it might need to hang on a little longer.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Lot of workforce to offer to let go at one time.  Did Stellantis overstaff?  JMO...my place has been doing the same thing over a year.  The "foreign" investment firm that bought our place hoping to flip it might need to hang on a little longer.

Massive amount. My guess is they only expect a certain % take it. No idea what that is, but I’m sure they do. Then they cut to get to the number the want.

I doubt that number is half their workforce.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:31 pm

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Massive amount. My guess is they only expect a certain % take it. No idea what that is, but I’m sure they do. Then they cut to get to the number the want.

Agree, the presented numbers don't make any sense. No idea where Stellantis design work is done now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:22 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Agree, the presented numbers don't make any sense. No idea where Stellantis design work is done now.

No idea. My partner has always handled Chrysler. Never get a warm fuzzy when I talk to him about it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:26 am

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Yeah, they’ll use percentages from previous buyout offers and their actuarial staff has probably triple- and quadruple-checked their own work.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am

Nordic wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Why are they turning these down?

Because they want a job and automotive pays very well. Maybe you’ve worked there for 20+ years. Maybe you have family here and don’t want to move. Maybe you just bought a house or had a kid.

The smart ones will take buyout and start the job hunt now. If they don’t get enough takers (and they won’t), they will start cutting. But there won’t be enough open spots for everyone. Especially at the same pay/level.

I was actually talking about the UAW strike... GM and Ford workers voted down the agreements so far. That's concerning.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:52 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I was actually talking about the UAW strike... GM and Ford workers voted down the agreements so far. That's concerning.

I’m not a member of those unions, but I greatly respect them. I do think, and this is my own opinion, sometimes the rank and file are told to vote agreements down to that corporate know we will eventually do this, but I understand we believe we deserve more. That’s just my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:27 am

Newer plants require fewer assembly operations combined with just in time supply chain that often uses non-union manufacturing.

While I don't think EV's will dominate as soon as some, almost all vehicles are lasting a lot longer and US drivers are keeping their cars about 12 years.

Stellantis is just getting ahead of the pack. GM and Ford know they are overstaffed and have too many plants and production facilities for markets where a majority of vehicles are being driven over a decade.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:49 am

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

No idea either. Ford & GM design & development work is global and has been for years.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 am

GRR Spartan wrote:
Newer plants require fewer assembly operations combined with just in time supply chain that often uses non-union manufacturing.

While I don't think EV's will dominate as soon as some, almost all vehicles are lasting a lot longer and US drivers are keeping their cars about 12 years.

Stellantis is just getting ahead of the pack. GM and Ford know they are overstaffed and have too many plants and production facilities for markets where a majority of vehicles are being driven over a decade.

Depends on which parts of the staff they are buying out. Engineering for ICE is going to be a dying profession,
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:16 pm

UAW workers at GM's Spring Hill plant vote against tentative deal
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:26 pm

The Pantry wrote:UAW workers at GM's Spring Hill plant vote against tentative deal

They just want their Saturn back.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:19 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:UAW workers at GM's Spring Hill plant vote against tentative deal

I want Pontiac back.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:21 pm

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I want Pontiac back.

I want Packard back. When will Stellantis get on the ball.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:32 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I want Pontiac back.

I want Packard back. When will Stellantis get on the ball.
Appears the UAW didn't put Stellantis workers on the same page as Ford & gm.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:08 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:

GM and Ford have been doing this for a while.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:54 am

Lansing plants, split decision on the contracts
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:04 am

Nordic wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

GM in particular has been moving its "staff" functions to lower cost locations. They are doing a bunch of Engineering in India. Purchasing was headquartered in China last I knew.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:56 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
Nordic wrote:

GM in particular has been moving its "staff" functions to lower cost locations. They are doing a bunch of Engineering in India. Purchasing was headquartered in China last I knew.
GM has many purchasing offices around the world. Pretty sure the HQ is still in Detroit/Warren.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down