Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date

+5
MiamiSpartan
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
kingstonlake
9 posters

Go down

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Empty "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-05, 15:46

This should be good. Going to have to figure out streaming by then. "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date 1550444538

Spielberg-Hanks WWII series ‘Masters of the Air’ gets premiere date
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, kingstonlake and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Empty Re: "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date

Post by Nordic 2023-10-05, 16:12

Sounds awesome
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Empty Re: "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-05, 16:49

Nordic wrote:Sounds awesome
Should be. We shall see. Spielberg & Hanks were striving for authenticity...likely over $500M in production costs after all the delays.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-05, 20:16

Dad had one of these certificates. Lost track of it over the years. Son of the TTE on my dad's plane sent me a copy of the certificate awarded to the pilot/commander of their plane. If you can read through it first pass with full comprehension, you get 5 stars! Funny as hell.  The thing at the bottom left that sorta looks like a hungry Weber kettle or death star is/was a wax seal with some ribbons to adorn it.

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Adair-11
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-11-09, 17:03

Trailer is out.

The ‘Masters of the Air’ Trailer Is Here, and It Looks Like Two Hundred Million Bucks
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-11-09, 17:14

The Pantry wrote:Trailer is out.

The ‘Masters of the Air’ Trailer Is Here, and It Looks Like Two Hundred Million Bucks
Oh my god. Can't. Fucking. Wait.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-09, 18:57

I’m all in.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-11, 16:40

Watching Band of Brothers ep 7 (bombing in the winter)... kills me everytime.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-12-08, 18:42

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-12-08, 18:46

“ Masters of the Air begins its run on January 26 with two episodes, after which one will be released weekly.”
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-12-08, 19:19

Nordic wrote:“ Masters of the Air begins its run on January 26 with two episodes, after which one will be released weekly.”
Despise the way Hollywood slow rolls stuff to garner more attention and adverti$ing.  

The entire series is complete.  Wish I could pay to sit down and watch it all at one time for the full effect.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-12-08, 19:24

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:“ Masters of the Air begins its run on January 26 with two episodes, after which one will be released weekly.”
Despise the way Hollywood slow rolls stuff to garner more attention and adverti$ing.  

The entire series is complete.  Wish I could pay to sit down and watch it all at one time for the full effect.

I don't disagree. I used to pay a certain price to stream without ads. Now I get ads and I'm asked to payer higher price to avoid ads.

My answer to your question is that when a service starts dripping out episodes and it's something I want to binge I say fuck them and X number of weeks, then I can.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-08, 20:40

I thought this was going to be about Michael Jorden, Jason Richardson, Dominique Wilkins, Dr. J., and Vince Carter.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-12-08, 21:11

tGreenWay wrote:I thought this was going to be about Michael Jorden, Jason Richardson, Dominique Wilkins,  Dr. J., and Vince Carter.
Revisit your Big Ben thread and explain WTF you started it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-12-08, 21:17

The Pantry wrote:

So wait until all of the episodes have aired and then do just that. You realize that Band of Brothers and The Pacific were released in a slow drip, right? The only way you had what you call the "full effect" was to watch those after they all came out.

And they don't do it for attention and advertising, they do it so that if people want to sign up for a free trial to binge them in 1-2 days, they have to wait. How dare they not want to give away their brand new content away for free right away!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-20, 11:32

Reminder.  Masters of the Air starts this Friday on Apple TV+
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, AvgMSUJoe and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-01-20, 11:37

Just got done watching The Pacific so the timing is perfect.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-01-20, 16:44

The Pantry wrote:Reminder.  Masters of the Air starts this Friday on Apple TV+

Bookmarked it last night. I got a lot in my queue right now with Reacher, True Detective, Fargo, etc.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-01-27, 22:34

First two episodes released Friday. I'm admittedly going to be a sunshine blower about this, but I'm loving it. It isn't, and won't be, as good as Band Of Brothers. That would be virtually impossible. We will see how the plot develops. I think focusing on one unit (for the most part) will help it be more cohesive than The Pacific (which I still loved, but was more like 3 different mini-series).

The battle scenes with the special effects available today are incredible.

It feels wrong that it's not on HBO, but I'm just glad it was finally made.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-28, 13:13

MiamiSpartan wrote:First two episodes released Friday.  I'm admittedly going to be a sunshine blower about this, but I'm loving it.  It isn't, and won't be, as good as Band Of Brothers.  That would be virtually impossible.  We will see how the plot develops.  I think focusing on one unit (for the most part) will help it be more cohesive than The Pacific (which I still loved, but was more like 3 different mini-series).

The battle scenes with the special effects available today are incredible.  

It feels wrong that it's not on HBO, but I'm just glad it was finally made.  
Started watching part 1 late Friday night but had been up since 4:30am and fell asleep.  Going to wait until more episodes are released.  

Thorpe Abbotts was where my dad's crew/plane (349th squadron) was based.  Dad was a co-pilot. Son of the TTE in the crew contacted me some years back.  Spent hours on the phone with him since.  He's a great historian of the air war in Europe.  Crafted this map of all the missions our dads flew.

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Flight10

Chip is now president of the board of directors of the 100th Bomb Group Foundation.  Wealth of 100th information at the website.  Could spend days there if you wanted to.  Data/comments on my dad's crew/plane:

349th Sqdn. This crew joined the 100th Gp on 23/9/44.  Flew overseas B-17G 43-38480   This Aircraft was assigned to the 493rd Bomb Group at Debach and was lost on Sept 30, 1944.  Lt Adair flew 20 of their missions in "532" which they  nicknamed "Little Sweetheart" and  was later called "Kleen Sweep" by Hal Switzer's Crew.

“Goddard was pretty quiet, but fun to be around ... a good officer. When you think about it, he died fairly young after we got home [1958]. But while we were over there he was pretty much a grown-up to me. He was married and had a little girl already – and she [Paula] – was the reason we called the plane that we flew most of our missions on the ‘Little Sweetheart.’” – Conley E. Culpepper interview

According to his daughter, Maureen, via a phone call last Christmas, "Lucky Jim" Adair carried a 4-leaf clover from Iowa inside wax paper his wallet for the duration of the war (and long afterward). It was given to him by his future wife Geneva before he left the States.

Missions of 1st  Lt James Adair

#     DATE      TARGET                      A/C                                      COMMENTs

1.   12/10/44  Bremen                      681   Grumblin Gremlin III         FW 190 parts Factory          
2.   15/10/44  Cologne                     011   The Reluctant Dragon      Marshalling Yards
3.   19/10/44  Ludwigshaven             987   The Little Skipper            RR Yds, Bomb Bay doors stuck open, #3 eng. Burned out
4.   22/10/44  Munster                     215    The Grumblin Gremlin      RR Yds
     25/10/44  Heligoland                  211    no name                       Recalled after assembly
5.   26/10/44  Hanover                     535    no name                       Tank and Gun factory                
6.   02/11/44  Merseburg                  987    The Little Skipper           Oil
7.   05/11/44  Ludwigshaven             986    Once In A While             Chem. Plant, Chaff Ship, Landed at ? Because of strong winds
8.   06/11/44  Neumunster               295     White Cargo                  Marshalling Yards
9.   16/11/44  Langerwehe (Aachen) 313     Lil Butch                        Landed with 120 Gal of gas
10. 21/11/44  Osnabruck                  535     no name                       RR Yds
11. 26/11/44  Hamm                        073    That's All Brother            RR Yds
12. 02/12/44  Koblenz                      681    Grumblin Gremlin III         Recalled after passing sortie line
13. 04/12/44  Friedburg                    987    The Little Skipper           RR Yds
14. 05/12/44  Berlin                         987    The Little Skipper           Tank & Gun factory, Hendrix and Horny passed out from anoxia.      
15. 12/12/44  Darmstadt                  532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds, 2nd Element Lead
16. 18/12/44  Mainz                         532     Little Sweetheart           Brought Bombs Back
17. 24/12/44  Biblis                          532     Little Sweetheart           Airfield Plastered
18. 25/12/44  Kaiserlautern               532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds
19. 28/12/44  Koblenz                      532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds
20. 29/12/44  Frankfurt                    532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds No 3 in Low Element
21. 30/12/44  Kassel                        230     no name                       Aborted-No1 Eng burned out                  
22. 03/01/45  Fulda                         532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds
23. 05/01/45  Frankfurt                    532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds, Low Element Lead
24. 07/01/45  Cologne                     532     Little Sweetheart           Drove over primary, hit Limburg                                  
25. 20/01/45  Heilbronn                   532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds, Deputy Lead
26. 21/01/45  Mannheim                  532     Little Sweetheart           RR Yds, Low Lead
27. 29/01/45  Kassel                        532     Little Sweetheart          2nd Element Lead
28. 09/02/45  Weimar                      532     Little Sweetheart          Arm Plant, 2nd Element Lead
29. 14/02/45  Chemnitz                    532    Little Sweetheart           RR Yds, Low Element Lead
30. 15/02/45  Cottbus                      532    Little Sweetheart           RR Yds
31. 20/02/45  Nurnburg                    532    Little Sweetheart           no comment
32. 21/02/45  Nurnburg                    532    Little Sweetheart           no comment
33. 23/02/45  Trenchtlingen              532    Little Sweetheart           RR Yds
34. 24/02/45  Bremen                       532   Little Sweetheart           RR Bridge
35. 25/02/45  Munich                        532   Little Sweetheart           RR Yds. FINIS

Lt Adair's Medals: Air Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Cluster
ETO Ribbon with one Battle Star

NOTES from Lt Jim Adair's Pilot Log Book:

Assignment and Training of the Crew were in Sioux City Iowa from 6/44 to 9/44.  Crew members were previously trained for their positions at various bases. Milton Brucker came from a Bombardier training base in Texas.  In September 1944, the crew was sent to Lincoln, Nebraska to pick up a new B-17G.  From Lincoln the Crew flew to Syracuse, N.Y. to fuel, then onward to Grenier field, New Hampshire.  From there, departed for Presque Newfoundland.  Had to return to Grenier Field after detecting a faulty fuel Pump.  Waited 8 Days for a replacement to come in.  Finally left September 12th for Goose Bay, Newfoundland (5 hour, 40 minute flight).  Stayed overnight, left September 14th, flying to Meeks Field in Iceland (8 hr Flight).  Stayed at Meeks Field overnight (nothing but C rations for Food).  Left Iceland September 16th, heading for Wales (5 hours 40 minutes).

The takeoff from Iceland was extremely hazardous due to the strong cross winds and boulders along side of the runway, Very Scary!!!  Had to take off at 70mph substantially less that usual take off speed because of strong cross winds and boulders alongside the runway.  Pilot told the control tower of the dangers in that particular runway hoping there might be a better choice for future takeoffs.  Arrived in Wales 5 1/2 hours later, left the new plane in Wales and boarded a train for Thorpe Abbotts Air Base.  Beginning October 5, 1944, Practice missions 30 minutes to 3 1/2hrs in length were scheduled.
First Bombing Mission was 10/12/44 to Bremen, Germany, Flying time 6 hrs 20 minutes.  Bombing raids usually had 27-36 Planes from the 100th flying in formation plus other Groups from England making 1200 planes total on a mission.  Target in Bremen was FW 190 parts factory.  Battle of Bulge had 3000 plus planes from the Eighth Air Force flying that Mission.  The only encounter our crew had with a German fighter plane (ME 262) WAS WHEN A German fighter pilot flew through our formation undetected due to heavy contrails.  He flew close enough to our plane for us to see his face.  Our gunners shot at him but he was probably flying 120 miles an hour faster and vanished in an instant.

The Pilots log went through censors and some of the data was deleted.  Censoring was done before V-E Day and at a time when our 35 Missions were already completed.

My Worst Three Missions were:

No1.   Bremen: WE discovered there was real flak out there and realized we could get killed!!!!

No 6   Merseburg: A refinery was heavily protected by flak guns brought in by rail. I witnessed one of our planes go down in flames

No 35 Munich: This was our last mission. Heavy Flak trailed us just 200 feet to one side during a long bomb run.  A plane just above us caught fire on #2 engine.  The bombardier jumped out immediately--afraid of an explosion.  The pilot of his plane made it back to base.  The Bombardier ended up a POW (it was actually to have been his last scheduled mission).  

My Crew felt very fortunate to complete 35 Missions without a casualty.  However, in the future age and illness took their toll.

Crewmate Comments:

“Adair was always fair. Some officers weren’t, but Adair was consistently fair. He’d listen to you, hear you out before deciding something, and he always trusted – and expected – you to do your job.”

“He was just an all-around outstanding pilot. Never once got rattled that I knew of. No matter what happened to us – or the plane – Adair got us home and landed smooth. I don’t ever recall a rough or bad landing with him.”

“I’d say Adair held us together. ... A good man. One of the finest I’ve ever known.” – Conley E. Culpepper interview

My dad never talked about the war.  I was too young and dumb to ask questions before he passed.  Learned a lot of things about him thanks to Chip and the 100th website.  Pics I'd never seen before and stories I'd never heard.  Dad got assigned his own plane/crew and flew humanitarian missions dropping supplies after his 35 combat missions were done.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-01-28, 14:07

Amazing stuff, Pantry. Thays great that you've been able to learn more about his time, even if it's after he's passed. I can imagine this series will really connect with you. I believe they've mentioned your dad's unit a couple of times already.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-14, 18:13

Talked with Chip for the first time in a while last night.  He's been busy.  Sent some pics.  Got invited to the premiere in LA.  Already knew the remaining century bombers from 100th reunions.  Got to meet Speilberg, Hanks, Orloff, and all the actors.  Said it was really cool...the producers/writers/actors connection with the real flyers.  The big shots didn't talk much...just listened to experiences.

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2015

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2021

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2016

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2020

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2022

John Orloff on the left, Chip right.  Chip's a great dude.  He's going to celebrate John 'Lucky' Luckadoo's 102nd birthday with him next month.  

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_2023

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, gomersbro and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-14, 20:32

Very much enjoying this series. Between the exploding flack and bullets shredding those flying tin cans, it’s insane what those crews dealt with.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-14, 20:33

btw, I didn’t make the connection at first, but the actor who plays Buck was also in Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood. He was Tex.

"Masters of the Air" finally has a release date Img_7015
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-14, 21:01

tGreenWay wrote:Very much enjoying this series. Between the exploding flack and bullets shredding those flying tin cans, it’s insane what those crews dealt with.
Those guys were a special breed that evolved at exactly the right time.

Coincidence, or a gift from God?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-02-14, 22:15

Great pics Pantry. It's getting to the point where it's amazing that any of those that served are still alive, but its great that some are around to see thia come to life.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-14, 22:30

Excellent stuff Pantry.

Overall the series is living up to expectations. The flying scenes are incredible and intense. The non-combat scenes are a bit rough. Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, etc. did an excellent job on character building in between intense combat scenes and that made you really connect with them. E1 of Band of Brothers is one of the best episodes. This is lacking that a bit, but still moves the plot along well enough.

Spoiler:
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-15, 14:33

tGreenWay wrote:Very much enjoying this series. Between the exploding flack and bullets shredding those flying tin cans, it’s insane what those crews dealt with.
Just remembered. Dad had a very small rust-colored spot on his right calf. Was from a piece of flack. Didn't get infected and didn't bug him...he never bothered to have it removed.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-15, 17:38

The Pantry wrote:
Just remembered. Dad had a very small rust-colored spot on his right calf. Was from a piece of flack. Didn't get infected and didn't bug him...he never bothered to have it removed.

That’s crazy. "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-15, 19:34

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Just remembered. Dad had a very small rust-colored spot on his right calf. Was from a piece of flack. Didn't get infected and didn't bug him...he never bothered to have it removed.

That’s crazy. "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date 502811600
Seems like it in this day and age. Back then, they sometimes flew missions on back-to-back days. Maybe he just forgot about it? "Masters of the Air" finally has a release date 2599972566
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth 2024-02-16, 12:07

Nordic wrote:Excellent stuff Pantry.

Overall the series is living up to expectations. The flying scenes are incredible and intense. The non-combat scenes are a bit rough. Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, etc. did an excellent job on character building in between intense combat scenes and that made you really connect with them. E1 of Band of Brothers is one of the best episodes. This is lacking that a bit, but still moves the plot along well enough.

Spoiler:

Probably a POW. It's a pretty good watch - pretty incredible the losses they suffered - just sending out thousands of dudes to die - the callousness of the leaders to the human loss was something.
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down