Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.

+8
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
Nordic
DWags
kingstonlake
CaptainSlow33
Turtleneck
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.  - Page 3 Empty Re: 23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-04-17, 04:26

Nordic wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Wings tie it with 4 seconds left 4-4

That was crazy. Listened to the 3rd in car with Ken Kale. Bad time to ice the puck for the Habs.

Bummed they didn’t make it. I really miss playoff hockey. But the last month kinda showed they aren’t there yet.

I don’t watch enough to know they need. Goalie? More skill upfront? You always need a big defenseman (at least we did back in the day). Hopefully Stevie is active in acquiring some missing pieces.

IDK about not ready. That skid they went on when Larkin was out killed them.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.  - Page 3 Empty Re: 23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-04-17, 08:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:

That was crazy. Listened to the 3rd in car with Ken Kale. Bad time to ice the puck for the Habs.

Bummed they didn’t make it. I really miss playoff hockey. But the last month kinda showed they aren’t there yet.

I don’t watch enough to know they need. Goalie? More skill upfront? You always need a big defenseman (at least we did back in the day). Hopefully Stevie is active in acquiring some missing pieces.

IDK about not ready. That skid they went on when Larkin was out killed them.

The struggles in March were what ultimately killed them, absolutely, but I also think that they also kind of over performed in the middle of the season, too. I feel absolutely dead inside right now, but if you had told me at the beginning of the season that the Wings would have 91 points and be in the playoff hunt right up until the last game of the season, I would have been jazzed as hell. The goal has been to improve each season, and I think they definitely did that this season. I do think that they need a bit more talent on defense, and possibly a stronger option for the top goalie spot, but they performed admirably with the talent they did have this season. There were also times this season where the team's immaturity showed in some key games. If those losses hadn't happened in the regular season, they absolutely would have happened in the playoffs. I think that the core group that comes back next season will have been able to get playoff experience without actually making the playoffs. I'm already excited for next season (finalizing our half season ticket package later this morning), but this one is going to hurt for a while.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-17, 08:38

It’s really rough waking up this morning.  Realistically, I wasn’t holding my breath for a playoff spot back in October.   I honestly see some progress was made this year, It’s not like I’m completely discouraged about the team.   But my God, the month of March leading up to last night was just so discouraging.    And I’m not going to any of the excuses either.   When the playoffs are right there, you have to be able to step up and take a spot.  We all know you don’t have to be a top seed to win it all

I think  on a scale looking at the redwings, im probably more discouraged today than I am encouraged.   It just sucks
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-04-17, 08:43

DWags wrote:It’s really rough waking up this morning.  Realistically, I wasn’t holding my breath for a playoff spot back in October.   I honestly see some progress was made this year, It’s not like I’m completely discouraged about the team.   But my God, the month of March leading up to last night was just so discouraging.    And I’m not going to any of the excuses either.   When the playoffs are right there, you have to be able to step up and take a spot.  We all know you don’t have to be a top seed to win it all

I think  on a scale looking at the redwings, im probably more discouraged today than I am encouraged.   It just sucks

Per the Winged Wheel Podcast, there was a pretty nasty stomach virus that was going through the locker room in March. They are professionals getting paid millions, so that isn't an excuse, but if they had the same stomach virus I had in March, I kind of understand it. I was sicker than I think I've ever been in my life. Factor that, injuries, and just the fatigue of a long season on a team that had arguably been overperforming previously, and you have the perfect storm. Still - you are paying guys like DeBrincat to score, it's not unreasonable to expect them to continue to perform in those games. Hope we start hearing about some key contract extensions (Raymond and Seider BETTER get paid), and some player signings soon. I don't know if we just saw Kane play his last game as a Red Wing, but I'll always appreciate how he ended it if we did.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-04-17, 08:44

Fans (at least the RW fans) are shitting on the Flyers for their part in this. But truth be told, it should never have gotten to the point where you're depending on another team losing to get in the playoffs.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-04-17, 08:52

Zurn wrote:Fans (at least the RW fans) are shitting on the Flyers for their part in this. But truth be told, it should never have gotten to the point where you're depending on another team losing to get in the playoffs.

I mean, I'll never tell someone to not shit on the Flyers. You are right, though. Blame for the things we are feeling are ultimately on our own team. It just feels better to throw the hate at Philly than our own team.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-17, 09:30

What kind of nonsense tie breaker is “regulation wins”

The wings record is 41-41. The caps are 40-42. This makes no sense.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-17, 09:31

Hell the islanders are 38-44. Congratulations to those two teams for losing in overtime more times than the wings and thus making the playoffs I guess
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-04-17, 09:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What kind of nonsense tie breaker is “regulation wins”

The wings record is 41-41. The caps are 40-42. This makes no sense.

IMO, NHL needs to go to a 3 point game system, similar to soccer.

3 points - win in regulation
2 points - win in OT
1 point - OT loss

It is really frustrating that teams can hold on and lose in OT and still back into the playoffs. I know that the Wings benefited from that system a few times in the early 2010s, but it was a stupid system then, too.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-17, 11:09

The only thing about that to me is that a win is a win and a loss is a loss. If you’re going to have overtime then you either win or lose. You don’t get half a win because you won in overtime. That’s the cause of nonsense like Philly pulling their goalie in regulation, they needed a “regulation win”. How silly. Win lose or tie the game. (Why cant we just have ties if we’re going to be splitting the points anyway?) If overtime rules make it feel like less of a win then that’s an issue with overtime rules, not the win itself
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-04-17, 11:24

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The only thing about that to me is that a win is a win and a loss is a loss. If you’re going to have overtime then you either win or lose. You don’t get half a win because you won in overtime. That’s the cause of nonsense like Philly pulling their goalie in regulation, they needed a “regulation win”. How silly. Win lose or tie the game. (Why cant we just have ties if we’re going to be splitting the points anyway?) If overtime rules make it feel like less of a win then that’s an issue with overtime rules, not the win itself

I think that if they aren't going to go with my 3 point plan, all or nothing makes the most sense. To me it makes no sense that a game that ends in regulation awards 2 points, whereas a game that ends in OT awards 3 points total (2 for the winner, 1 for the loser). It's a bad system, and it doesn't seem like it would be too complicated to change the points system. Bettman is horribly stubborn, though, so there probably won't be any serious conversations about it until he is gone.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-17, 11:38

Can one of you math guys or programmers come up with how the standings would look if it was a 3-2-1 pt system. It’s interesting to me. (It won’t happen though).
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-04-17, 11:54

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Caps win 2-1

See ya next year

Crazy they win on an empty netter because the flyers had to win in regulation. So they pull the goalie at 1-1.

Brutal. I had no idea that was how it happened 23/24 Red Wings. Back in the playoff hunt.  - Page 3 1896033241
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3