Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan vs Michigan state game thread

+18
Zurn
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
CaptainSlow33
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
Pervis Muldoon
steveschneider
MSU addict
DWags
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
Travis of the Cosmos
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Michigan vs Michigan state game thread

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 19:52

He should have said something about taking everyone to a museum to fix the problem.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Cameron, tGreenWay and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Michigan vs Michigan state game thread

Post by tGreenWay Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:00

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Statement from AD Haller regarding the image of Hitler appearing on the scoreboard:

https://msuspartans.com/news/2023/10/22/general-statement-from-michigan-state-university-vice-president-and-director-of-athletics-alan-haller.aspx
Heil?

It was a pretty decent mea culpa. I noticed it did not refer to a 3rd party contractor this time. Makes me wonder a little bit if the person suspended with pay might have done it intentionally. Guess we’ll wait for the report.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:07

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He said that about every job he’s ever taking stretching back to McDonald’s in high school. I’m not sure that means very much

But I think you need to wrestle with your own insecurities with the second part of your post. The things Michigan state can be are really great and exactly what would attract a coach who knows he can make that happen quickly.

What this tells me is — despite saying he wasn’t interested, twice, on national sports programs — forget what Urban Meyer says because it can’t be trusted. That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of his character.

He also said it in April when fox hired him. Said that book is “closed”.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:21

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He said that about every job he’s ever taking stretching back to McDonald’s in high school. I’m not sure that means very much

But I think you need to wrestle with your own insecurities with the second part of your post. The things Michigan state can be are really great and exactly what would attract a coach who knows he can make that happen quickly.

What this tells me is — despite saying he wasn’t interested, twice, on national sports programs — forget what Urban Meyer says because it can’t be trusted. That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of his character.

On the surface that might be correct However, football, is like war. Most successful coaches I’ve been around treat everything as if it’s top-secret. I can imagine any coach that is seriously thinking about becoming a head coach at Michigan State, one, does not want anyone to know right now, and two  is feverishly working on spare time figuring out who you can take with, if he can get the key people he wants, and how he will do things. Not letting people know about your possible moves I think gives you more freedom to contact people using back channels

One of the most interesting things I’ve ever read was how Bill Belichick  And Nick Saban would drive hours secretly and meet in secret places to go over films with the outcome of possibly working together. They especially didn’t want Bill Parcells to know they were meeting

So I’m just assuming that these major coaches can’t stand her name being out there as a possible target . Because if it’s so they have a lot of work to do and they don’t want possible assistance to be bothered with media questioning them.

Last edited by DWags on Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:25; edited 2 times in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:23

tGreenWay wrote:

Every coach does that stuff until papers are signed. 

I don’t know what “can’t be trusted” even means he’s a football coach he’s not interviewing to house sit for you or something. I want a football coach that is versed in coach speak to be perfectly honest with you. I don’t want the dipshit that will say too much then hurt his own standing for a contract. You want the guy that can’t keep his mouth shut to be the dude we’re sending into recruits homes?

What’s interesting about it to me is that last year Nebraska came calling and it was shot down immediately. But, shot down directly, like the cohosts on that show were talking about how Nebraska wanted him and it was like a “nope not taking that specific job” whereas this hasn’t been mentioned on that show at all, as far as I know, as if they were asked not to bring it up. Also the things you’re talking about are more of a soft “ah man I dunno if I want to coach again” type of thing. Is that something? I dunno probably. But it’s all reading tea leaves and we’ll all find out eventually.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:38

Wouldn't surprise me if Ishbia wants him... offered enough... pledged the resources... but with the instability with bot leadership, and his shakey past (womanizing and poor treatment of players). No one will/can commit.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:46

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Ishbia wants him... offered enough... pledged the resources... but with the instability with bot leadership, and his shakey past (womanizing and poor treatment of players). No one will/can commit.

Float his name. Gauge reaction. Go to Plan B.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Every coach does that stuff until papers are signed. 

I don’t know what “can’t be trusted” even means he’s a football coach he’s not interviewing to house sit for you or something. I want a football coach that is versed in coach speak to be perfectly honest with you. I don’t want the dipshit that will say too much then hurt his own standing for a contract. You want the guy that can’t keep his mouth shut to be the dude we’re sending into recruits homes?

What’s interesting about it to me is that last year Nebraska came calling and it was shot down immediately. But, shot down directly, like the cohosts on that show were talking about how Nebraska wanted him and it was like a “nope not taking that specific job” whereas this hasn’t been mentioned on that show at all, as far as I know, as if they were asked not to bring it up. Also the things you’re talking about are more of a soft “ah man I dunno if I want to coach again” type of thing. Is that something? I dunno probably. But it’s all reading tea leaves and we’ll all find out eventually.

Dude, this is way more important than watching my house. This is Spartan football, ffs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 7:44

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

On the surface that might be correct However, football, is like war. Most successful coaches I’ve been around treat everything as if it’s top-secret. I can imagine any coach that is seriously thinking about becoming a head coach at Michigan State, one, does not want anyone to know right now, and two  is feverishly working on spare time figuring out who you can take with, if he can get the key people he wants, and how he will do things. Not letting people know about your possible moves I think gives you more freedom to contact people using back channels

One of the most interesting things I’ve ever read was how Bill Belichick  And Nick Saban would drive hours secretly and meet in secret places to go over films with the outcome of possibly working together. They especially didn’t want Bill Parcells to know they were meeting

So I’m just assuming that these major coaches can’t stand her name being out there as a possible target . Because if it’s so they have a lot of work to do and they don’t want possible assistance to be bothered with media questioning them.

It could also be that Urban just isn't interested in us. Maybe he sees an easier gig out there that might have a change this year or next.

Just because a girl that you ask out says, "I'm taking a break from dating to focus on myself" doesn't mean that they wouldn't immediately start dating the guy they have the hots for if he asked (not that any of us can relate, because as Swillers, we have always been that dream guy that every girl would jump at if given the chance).

This isn't a self loathing Spartan post saying that he would never want us. I'm simply saying that he might not, or might want something else, or at least to see what else becomes available.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 8:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

It could also be that Urban just isn't interested in us. Maybe he sees an easier gig out there that might have a change this year or next.

Just because a girl that you ask out says, "I'm taking a break from dating to focus on myself" doesn't mean that they wouldn't immediately start dating the guy they have the hots for if he asked (not that any of us can relate, because as Swillers, we have always been that dream guy that every girl would jump at if given the chance).

This isn't a self loathing Spartan post saying that he would never want us. I'm simply saying that he might not, or might want something else, or at least to see what else becomes available.

I don’t think Urban is interested in MSU. My post was more to the fact that, in todays world. no coach wants his name associated with a job they might take before they do much work behind the scenes. It’s a crazy world coaching college football. Your staff has to include people who know how to handle NIL crap and portal crap and the old fashion recruiting. If you can’t get the promise of talented people in those areas to come with you I’d never say yes. If a coach says yes and then starts making calls about his staff, I’m not sure I’d want him. So my point is, any coach, not just urban will take time

In the meantime, if their name is leaked I’m pretty sure most will constantly deny.

I’m just guessing at this of course. But it’s a big difference now. College has to be way harder to do than the nfl.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 9:24

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I don’t think Urban is interested in MSU. My post was more to the fact that, in todays world. no coach wants his name associated with a job they might take before they do much work behind the scenes. It’s a crazy world coaching college football. Your staff has to include people who know how to handle NIL crap and portal crap and the old fashion recruiting. If you can’t get the promise of talented people in those areas to come with you I’d never say yes. If a coach says yes and then starts making calls about his staff, I’m not sure I’d want him. So my point is, any coach, not just urban will take time

In the meantime, if their name is leaked I’m pretty sure most will constantly deny.

I’m just guessing at this of course. But it’s a big difference now. College has to be way harder to do than the nfl.

I don't think Urban considers us high-profile enough (assuming he even wants to coach again). He'd go to a place like Texas A&M/USC/etc. Big pockets. Good recruiting classes to work with. Easier to win faster.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 9:46

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

I don't think Urban considers us high-profile enough (assuming he even wants to coach again). He'd go to a place like Texas A&M/USC/etc. Big pockets. Good recruiting classes to work with. Easier to win faster.

I honestly don't see Urban returning to coaching. He won his trophies, he made his money. He knows how hard the grind is if you want to win, and I can't see him being interested in that at this point in his life. He isn't young anymore, so why not enjoy his $7mill/year cakewalk gig? As you said, if Urban DID return to coaching, I don't see MSU even being on his radar. The rebuild would be too big, and even then the program wouldn't necessarily be a favorite to compete for the championship. I also don't necessarily think MSU should be interested in Urban. No disrespect to the guy - he is a proven winner - but he hasn't coached in the modern college football landscape. Instead of going back to the old guard of college football, I'd rather see us go try and find someone who is an up and comer.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 9:59

(possibly) unpopular take on the scoreboard thing:

It's an eyeroll and a "c'mon, people" thing, at most, for me. They should've vetted the third party trivia entity, absolutely. Was it appropriate for the situation, no. Should MSU release a statement apologizing? Yes. Did they? Yes.. before the game was even over.

I'm just not going to buy in the Detroit media, UM faux outrage over a trivia question about what country Hitler was born in.

I mean, it's not like one of our players demonstrated their anti-semitic views on Twitter or anything. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:(possibly) unpopular take on the scoreboard thing:

It's an eyeroll and a "c'mon, people" thing, at most, for me. They should've vetted the third party trivia entity, absolutely. Was it appropriate for the situation, no. Should MSU release a statement apologizing? Yes. Did they? Yes.. before the game was even over.

I'm just not going to buy in the Detroit media, UM faux outrage over a trivia question about what country Hitler was born in.

I mean, it's not like one of our players demonstrated their anti-semitic views on Twitter or anything. Rolling Eyes

You aren't wrong. Ultimately, you have to look at the intent of the action - a trivia video from YouTube was played on the scoreboard, and that video just happened to have a question about Hitler. It wasn't promoting Hitler, or saying he was a good guy, it was just a question about where he was born. It was stupid, and the parties responsible - including MSU - should have vetted the video. It was a boneheaded mistake, and as far as most people should be concerned, the MSU statement should be the end of it.

Personally, I'm frustrated with it because this is just the sort of mistake that was easily preventable. The university seems to bounce from scandal to scandal, and this is the sort of self inflicted wound that is entirely preventable. Yes, it was a third party, but it was also MSU's scoreboard. There should have been some oversight there. I'm frustrated with it as an alum, because it's the sort of headlines that the university just doesn't need at the moment, but I don't think that it merits extended national coverage.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson and Robert J Sakimano like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:17

CaptainSlow33 wrote:

You aren't wrong. Ultimately, you have to look at the intent of the action - a trivia video from YouTube was played on the scoreboard, and that video just happened to have a question about Hitler. It wasn't promoting Hitler, or saying he was a good guy, it was just a question about where he was born. It was stupid, and the parties responsible - including MSU - should have vetted the video. It was a boneheaded mistake, and as far as most people should be concerned, the MSU statement should be the end of it.

Personally, I'm frustrated with it because this is just the sort of mistake that was easily preventable. The university seems to bounce from scandal to scandal, and this is the sort of self inflicted wound that is entirely preventable. Yes, it was a third party, but it was also MSU's scoreboard. There should have been some oversight there. I'm frustrated with it as an alum, because it's the sort of headlines that the university just doesn't need at the moment, but I don't think that it merits extended national coverage.
I get this and I agree.

I'm just not interested in buying into the Detroit media/UM narrative, as I mentioned. When they run an angelic, pristine program - instead of one riddled with scandal, felony gun charges, players with anti-semitic views on social media, etc., I'll take their faux outrage over a trivia question a bit more seriously.

cheers, dude.. and Go Green Forever. Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 11:02

We all know that every transgression at Michigan if it is printed at all is on page 8 of the lifestyles section while any transgression at MSU is on page one above the fold.

MSU is just way more news worthy. /s
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 11:03

Exactly. Some idiot hooked his laptop up to the scoreboard and hit play on the Quiz Channel, or the Trivia Channel or whatever the hell it was.

I don't think we need to apologize for it over and over again.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 11:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

I get this and I agree.

I'm just not interested in buying into the Detroit media/UM narrative, as I mentioned. When they run an angelic, pristine program - instead of one riddled with scandal, felony gun charges, players with anti-semitic views on social media, etc., I'll take their faux outrage over a trivia question a bit more seriously.

cheers, dude.. and Go Green Forever. Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 969504605

An apology was enough, and people also need to learn how to accept one. It was unfortunate timing and an honest mistake. Time to move on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 12:23

listening to the Graham Couch podcast..

"you know things aren't going well when Hitler showing up at the stadium isn't the worst thing that happens at the game".

Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Other Teams Pursuing That, Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 12:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:listening to the Graham Couch podcast..

"you know things aren't going well when Hitler showing up at the stadium isn't the worst thing that happens at the game".

The Rube one or the Spartan Speak?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 12:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:listening to the Graham Couch podcast..

the Rube podcast.

I kinda get a kick out of it, as a) I like Couch and his take on a lot of things and b) it's pretty uncensored in terms of obscenities.

and there are a lot of reasons to utter obscenities.

oh - and to be clear, it wasn't Couch that said the statement above. I believe he was reading from an email from a listener.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 13:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

the Rube podcast.

I kinda get a kick out of it, as a) I like Couch and his take on a lot of things and b) it's pretty uncensored in terms of obscenities.

oh - and to be clear, it wasn't Couch that said the statement above. I believe he was reading from an email from a listener.

I started listening to some of the Rube casts earlier this month, and they're generally pretty entertaining. The obscenities bothered me a little at first but they're not every other word.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 14:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
the Rube podcast.

I started listening to some of the Rube casts earlier this month, and they're generally pretty entertaining. The obscenities bothered me a little at first but they're not every other word.
yeah, once I dropped the "but Graham Couch is a journalist" concept and realized that their act is basically a couple of guys sitting around talking/ranting about sports, the obscenities made more since.  Michigan vs Michigan state game thread - Page 3 502811600

kinda like how most of us might conduct ourselves in a work meeting vs. hanging around, drinking beer at Dagwoods.

(in general, I don't curse a whole lot. My wife now.. when she gets going, look out. I love that woman to death, but she'll make a sailor blush).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 15:33

Uh, guys? umma just scored another touchdown.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

CaptainSlow33 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 15:47

steveschneider wrote:

An apology was enough, and people also need to learn how to accept one. It was unfortunate timing and an honest mistake. Time to move on.

I'm sorry that people in our society need to have Youtube trivia on the scoreboard that shows the game more clearly than actually watching the game.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

The Pantry and CaptainSlow33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 16:05

Rick Saunders wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I'm sorry that people in our society need to have Youtube trivia on the scoreboard that shows the game more clearly than actually watching the game.

Gone are the days when you went to a game to ... watch the game.   The powers that be now think we have to be entertained by a nonstop visual/auditory barrage.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

CaptainSlow33 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 17:04

So MSU even lost the stadium ejection battle, almost twice as many people were ejected in A2 last year.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/10/21-ejected-from-spartan-stadium-during-michigan-msu-football-game.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3