Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread

+13
CaptainSlow33
duffy munn
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
Heat Miser
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
MSU addict
Zurn
Turtleneck
The Pantry
17 posters

Go down

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread Empty The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-23, 17:02

Great Spartan?  Yes.

Great assistant coach?  Yes.

Great interim head coach?  No.

I feel bad for him.  Got suddenly thrown into a position no one could have predicted.  Lot of weight put on his shoulders.  Collectively, MSU has fucked up many things over the last few years.  With football, he's been put in the position of escapegoat.

Barnett has handled it well, IMO.  Class in interviews, despite overwhelming pressure.  

Whomever eventually gets the HC position, I hope they retain Barnett on the staff.  Guy is tough as nails.  Exemplary Spartan.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Turtleneck and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread

Post by Turtleneck 2023-10-23, 17:12

Agree, Pantry. He seems like a great guy who was thrown into a less than ideal situation.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread

Post by Zurn 2023-10-23, 17:46

I wouldn't be too quick to label him a bad interim coach. The team is currently a bottom feeder in the Big10. No amount of coaching would have changed that. He held the team and staff together when it would have been easy to defect.

Following Tucker, we needed a man with integrity and grit to see us through the toughest time in MSU football in recent years. HB was that. I tip my hat to him.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-10-23, 17:56

I have always been a fan of his (he played at MSU when I was a student). The Bang Stick was tough as nails as a player and has been a great coach of defensive backs.

That said, he is not a victim. He was given a great opportunity to be the head coach at his alma mater - a dream job really. If the team had played well under him he would have been in serious discussion as permanent head coach. He is 0-5 including the worse home loss in Spartan history - to Michigan no less. The Rutgers loss was inexcusable. At this point if, we lose out (and it appears possible) he has to go down as one of, if not the worst head coach ever at MSU. Given our history, that is saying something.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-10-23, 18:00

Bobby williams 2.0. Bobby was a great innovator and coach. Wayyy too nice to be a HC.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

MSU addict likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-10-23, 18:09

For me, it is not the losses really.  I can handle losing, sometimes you just are are out gunned.  What bothers me is I see a team overall with no heart, with absolutely no pride.  And IMO, that reflects on the head coach.  

We are simply bending over and taking it up the ass.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-23, 18:45

Anyone blaming him for this mess is delusional. He didn't run spring practice or direct the crootin office... frankly, the man stepped up to this gig because his old long time friend said he needed someone with broad shoulders to finish this up, knowing half the internet is going to go ape shit on him through out the rest of the year. It wouldn't surprise me if Haller gives him some other job in the AD office if the new guy doesn't retain him (or maybe Haller makes it a requirement).
The poor guy got thrown into this shit fest and the zero perspective sports radio fanbase was going to do their worst. That was a given.
God bless Harlon Barnett for not cracking and screaming like a mad man yet.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry, steveschneider and Tyler Durden like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-10-23, 18:47

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Anyone blaming him for this mess is delusional. He didn't run spring practice or direct the crootin office... frankly, the man stepped up to this gig because his old long time friend said he needed someone with broad shoulders to finish this up, knowing half the internet is going to go ape shit on him through out the rest of the year. It wouldn't surprise me if Haller gives him some other job in the AD office if the new guy doesn't retain him (or maybe Haller makes it a requirement).
The poor guy got thrown into this shit fest and the zero perspective sports radio fanbase was going to do their worst. That was a given.
God bless Harlon Barnett for not cracking and screaming like a mad man yet.

Sign me up as an AvgMSUjoe fan. You have been crushing it lately.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-10-23, 18:58

he’s kinda like the guy your friend brings along golfing, out to a bar, dinner, tailgate, whatever and the guy is just kind of “there”. doesn’t say much, has no edge to him, just taking up space. not doing anything bad either.

man that felt like a d wags post, i must be aging.
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-21, 15:35

[tw]1737932387315540075[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-21, 15:45

Good guy, he certainly didn’t deserve the shit he got this year. Good luck to him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, Tyler Durden, Polydorus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-12-21, 15:50

I can understand him not wanting to take a demotion below DC, assuming Smith wanted him to stay in some capacity. OTOH, he was a position coach prior to the Tugger mess.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-21, 16:00

Bummer for sure. Collateral damage.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-21, 16:38

NigelUno wrote:[tw]1737932387315540075[/tw]

Give him credit for being a Spartan, in all senses of that word. Waited until after signing to announce this.

I hope he finds his dream, somewhere.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-21, 16:51

I think it was all or nothing from the get go. He was either going to remain Head Coach, or be gone.

Losing to Iowa (basically) decided that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-21, 17:21

My grandma and grandpa were still alive. They retired to Hemet California. I called them after this game and said I was bringing some friends to their house. Make a shit tone of spaghetti sauce, polenta, sausage peppers and potatoes and hide your booze. Haven’t been back there but once. Going again this year to help my sister move and sell shit out of it. Sister is going to the Rosebowl. $600 bucks just for parking.

[tw]1737939042782638407?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread Img_7212
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

NigelUno likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-21, 17:21

My grandma and grandpa were still alive. They retired to Hemet California. I called them after this game and said I was bringing some friends to their house. Make a shit tone of spaghetti sauce, polenta, sausage peppers and potatoes and hide your booze. Haven’t been back there but once. Going again this year to help my sister move and sell shit out of it. Sister is going to the Rosebowl. $600 bucks just for parking.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and NigelUno like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-12-21, 17:29

DWags wrote:My grandma and grandpa were still alive. They retired to Hemet California. I called them after this game and said I was bringing some friends to their house.  Make a shit tone of spaghetti sauce, polenta,  sausage peppers and potatoes  and hide your booze.  Haven’t been back there but once.   Going again this year to help my sister move and sell shit out of it.  Sister is going to the Rosebowl. $600 bucks just for parking.

Lee!
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2023-12-22, 08:32

News that Harlon is moving on broke my heart, but I understand it. Harlon is a good coach, a great Spartan, and far and above an even greater man. Unfortunately, people are only going to remember the wins and losses this season - that's really too bad, because they don't even tell half the story. Harlon was thrown to the wolves with less than a week's notice. How many of us thought that the entire team was going to transfer out when Tugger got canned? Somehow, Harlon held them all together. Yeah, the win column didn't dazzle, but the guy was working with players he didn't recruit and a staff he didn't hire. With the exception of 4 games, Harlon's team was competitive in each game that it played in. Harlon has been very public about wanting to be the head coach at Michigan State - I firmly believe that the university made the right hire, but it really sucks that this was the audition that Harlon got stuck with for his dream job. No matter how you feel about the results on the field this season, I will maintain that Harlon left the 2023 MSU Football team in better shape than he found it. I was really excited about the idea of him sticking around on the new staff, but I completely understand that he feels it's time to move on. I don't know what's next for him, but I wish him nothing but the absolute best wherever he ends up. Go Green, Harlon.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, Cameron, InTenSity, DWags, AvgMSUJoe, gomersbro, Trapper Gus and Tyler Durden like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-22, 09:18

DWags wrote:My grandma and grandpa were still alive. They retired to Hemet California. I called them after this game and said I was bringing some friends to their house.  Make a shit tone of spaghetti sauce, polenta,  sausage peppers and potatoes  and hide your booze.  Haven’t been back there but once.   Going again this year to help my sister move and sell shit out of it.  Sister is going to the Rosebowl. $600 bucks just for parking.

That was such a great experience (after watching other teams play in the Rose Bowl year after year after year). The sun going down...the mountains...just magical.

If I ever go back...getting a VRBO (or hotel) in Pasadena.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-22, 09:30

Look at Tom Cruise on the left!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-22, 10:27

kingstonlake wrote:Look at Tom Cruise on the left!

Worse, I always tell my daughters I never had a mullet. They go to my moms house and bring back pictures like this put them on the fridge and leave notes like “dad we’re going to Luigi’s Friday, why don’t you and mom mull it over and let us know if you’d like to join”.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden 2023-12-22, 11:51

CaptainSlow33 wrote:News that Harlon is moving on broke my heart, but I understand it. Harlon is a good coach, a great Spartan, and far and above an even greater man. Unfortunately, people are only going to remember the wins and losses this season - that's really too bad, because they don't even tell half the story. Harlon was thrown to the wolves with less than a week's notice. How many of us thought that the entire team was going to transfer out when Tugger got canned? Somehow, Harlon held them all together. Yeah, the win column didn't dazzle, but the guy was working with players he didn't recruit and a staff he didn't hire. With the exception of 4 games, Harlon's team was competitive in each game that it played in. Harlon has been very public about wanting to be the head coach at Michigan State - I firmly believe that the university made the right hire, but it really sucks that this was the audition that Harlon got stuck with for his dream job. No matter how you feel about the results on the field this season, I will maintain that Harlon left the 2023 MSU Football team in better shape than he found it. I was really excited about the idea of him sticking around on the new staff, but I completely understand that he feels it's time to move on. I don't know what's next for him, but I wish him nothing but the absolute best wherever he ends up. Go Green, Harlon.
Well said
Tyler Durden
Tyler Durden
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-22, 12:06

Seems like he could walk into a Mac type job. Are there any rumors?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2023-12-27, 08:08

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Seems like he could walk into a Mac type job. Are there any rumors?

I really hope that he can land a good gig somewhere and work toward a HC job. Any MAC program, or program like GVSU/WSU, would be lucky to have him.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-27, 08:42

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Seems like he could walk into a Mac type job. Are there any rumors?

I really hope that he can land a good gig somewhere and work toward a HC job. Any MAC program, or program like GVSU/WSU, would be lucky to have him.

Colorado!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-12-27, 08:53

NigelUno wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

Colorado!

His approval rating would plummet but I would support this. Two men of faith building up an elite program! Integrity, character, and winning would set a great example for our kids.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-27, 08:54

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Colorado!

His approval rating would plummet but I would support this. Two men of faith building up an elite program! Integrity, character, and winning would set a great example for our kids.

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-12-27, 09:03

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The Harlon Barnett Appreciation Thread 502811600

It would be a refreshing change from the poor character and lack of integrity coming out of Ann Arbor. Cheating, cheating, and more cheating. They are doing it the wrong way!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-27, 09:38

We basically gave HB an extra $1 million to be the interim coach. He can probably take a good vacation.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-12-27, 10:55

NigelUno wrote:We basically gave HB an extra $1 million to be the interim coach. He can probably take a good vacation.

Harlon has a chip on his shoulder and I think he’s out to prove something. I hope we get to see him with his guys, his system and his culture. Something he’s built with his slogans and his signs in the facilities. He deserves it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-27, 10:57

CaptainSlow33 wrote:

It will be mostly about the dollars. He probably could get a HC job as a lesser school.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-07, 15:02

Go get em Coach.

[tw]1755051458414678134?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-07, 15:11

Good luck, Harlon, hope you go undefeated next season.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down