Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire

+21
Other Teams Pursuing That
Motown Spartan
Pervis Muldoon
Heat Miser
Turtleneck
DWags
Dendrobates
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
Nordic
gomersbro
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Zurn
NigelUno
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 Empty Re: Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire

Post by DWags 2023-12-02, 08:37

Dendrobates wrote:I'm just reserving judgment either way, until I see what happens. I don't want to get my hopes up.

I’m not even going to judge him until November 2025. Till then, I’ll watch the games and cheer the Spartans. But not expect anything good or be surprised with anything bad.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-02, 11:19

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 2a8388b0-8c05-4a32-90b9-798c01702332_text
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-02, 19:34

DWags wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I'm just reserving judgment either way, until I see what happens. I don't want to get my hopes up.

I’m not even going to judge him until November 2025. Till then, I’ll watch the games and cheer the Spartans. But not expect anything good or be surprised with anything bad.

That’s okay, I’ll even things out. I plan to hold Smith accountable from the opening snap and intend to dangle him over the edge of the upper deck at SS if his teams fail to perform to my liking. #acceptnothingless #perfectionnotdeflection #trophyme
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-06, 07:40

“I thought the fit was good as well because, let’s face it, there’s an in-state rivalry and I appreciate in-state rivalries,” Smith said last week. “I think those things are meaningful, it’s a great thing about college football is to have a rivalry like that. Every spot … in my career, I know what that is like and being able to compete in that year-round.”

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2023/12/michigan-states-jonathan-smith-leaning-into-rivalry-vs-michigan.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-12-06, 09:12

That sounds like a guy that doesn’t know yet to be honest. It’s okay, he will come to know. Bro, this isn’t oregon oregon state with a different color scheme.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-12-06, 12:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That sounds like a guy that doesn’t know yet to be honest. It’s okay, he will come to know. Bro, this isn’t oregon oregon state with a different color scheme.

Their rivalry is called the civil war, so don't assume this will be a completely new rodeo for him.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-12-06, 12:44

Heat Miser wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That sounds like a guy that doesn’t know yet to be honest. It’s okay, he will come to know. Bro, this isn’t oregon oregon state with a different color scheme.

Their rivalry is called the civil war, so don't assume this will be a completely new rodeo for him.
Sure yeah you can call your rivalry whatever you want but until you have dudes busting skulls in the tunnel do you really have “it”?

It’s okay, it’s just the quote of a man who doesn’t hate Michigan yet. Why would he? (Other than all the obvious reasons). He will, he’ll learn and grow and find out who they are.

Citations-

https://gazettetimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/editorial-its-ok-for-beavers-fans-to-root-for-the-ducks/article_35417bc4-18f9-11e0-b706-001cc4c03286.html

https://gazettetimes.com/beaver-fans-split-on-rooting-for-ducks/article_a04299d8-174f-5921-b3ea-eef18e37eed0.html

https://fishduck.com/2017/05/why-ducks-fans-should-root-for-thomas-tyner-as-a-beaver/

Would a Spartan be caught dead saying these things?

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 Mundays-mondays

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2023-12-06, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-06, 12:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Sure yeah you can call your rivalry whatever you want but until you have dudes busting skills in the tunnel do you really have “it”?

It’s okay, it’s just the quote of a man who doesn’t hate Michigan yet. Why would he? (Other than all the obvious reasons). He will, he’ll learn and grow and find out who they are.

Citations-

https://gazettetimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/editorial-its-ok-for-beavers-fans-to-root-for-the-ducks/article_35417bc4-18f9-11e0-b706-001cc4c03286.html

https://gazettetimes.com/beaver-fans-split-on-rooting-for-ducks/article_a04299d8-174f-5921-b3ea-eef18e37eed0.html

https://fishduck.com/2017/05/why-ducks-fans-should-root-for-thomas-tyner-as-a-beaver/

Would a Spartan be caught dead saying these things?

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 Mundays-mondays

Sounds like Blue Wall articles we sometimes see...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-12-07, 17:37

If he ever leaves MSU, you locals might want to check the Goodwill stores for Spartan gear...

https://x.com/Tsunami_TS/status/1732478914315120684?s=20
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-07, 17:45

Pervis Muldoon wrote:If he ever leaves MSU, you locals might want to check the Goodwill stores for Spartan gear...

https://x.com/Tsunami_TS/status/1732478914315120684?s=20

Some of those are pretty cool.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-07, 21:16

It appears smith is just giving raises to everyone from osu, which makes me wonder if he's going to be a Coach D type and not throw his asst under the bus like the typical fathead internet/sports radio fan DEMAND And shitty head coaches (harbs) do to hold on to their gigs.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-07, 23:31

AvgMSUJoe wrote:It appears smith is just giving raises to everyone from osu, which makes me wonder if he's going to be a Coach D type and not throw his asst under the bus like the typical fathead internet/sports radio fan DEMAND And shitty head coaches (harbs) do to hold on to their gigs.

Harbs held onto his gig by cheating.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-08, 00:43

AvgMSUJoe wrote:It appears smith is just giving raises to everyone from osu, which makes me wonder if he's going to be a Coach D type and not throw his asst under the bus like the typical fathead internet/sports radio fan DEMAND And shitty head coaches (harbs) do to hold on to their gigs.

I noticed that and wondered the same. Smith has mentioned he’s proud of the number of assistants were with him during his entire time at OSU.  I do recognize the need for consistency, but I hope Smith doesn’t show us Dantonio-type loyalty in keeping coaches who aren’t performing as needed/wanted/expected.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-08, 06:08

Do you guys want him to start from scratch with a group of assistants he has no experience with? Or start with a group of coaches on a familiar plane where he has experienced a level of success recently that we envy?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, gomersbro, Trapper Gus, Nordic and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-12-08, 07:38

Motown Spartan wrote:Do you guys want him to start from scratch with a group of assistants he has no experience with? Or start with a group of coaches on a familiar plane where he has experienced a level of success recently that we envy?

Seems incredibly reasonable to bring dudes with you that you’ve had success with. Coaching staff stability and cohesion also out weighs instability. So yeah, bring as many dudes as he wants.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-08, 07:40

Motown Spartan wrote:Do you guys want him to start from scratch with a group of assistants he has no experience with? Or start with a group of coaches on a familiar plane where he has experienced a level of success recently that we envy?

If you want to get a transfer portal QB from Oregon State, it would be wise to bring the OC and QB Coach (and other offensive assistants familiar with the plays).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-08, 07:48

And I’ll add, if he has the same success that Dantonio had, by all means, be loyal and keep your assistants too long and I will welcome the ebbs and flows.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, DWags, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-12-08, 09:27

Couple of things...

A) He didn't even invite all of his assistants to come with him.

B) in 2021 he fired his Defensive Coordinator IN MID SEASON.

C) if a group of people were integral to your success, and you get a big offer somewhere else because of that success, then what does that say about you if you don't take several of them with you? That you're so arrogant as to think that you're qualified to take a step up, but they aren't?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Trapper Gus, Nordic and CaptainSlow33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-08, 10:34

Personally, I am fine with that.

I think everyone who DEMANDS this and that coordinator be fired constantly are buffoons, since it all is a reflection of the head guy. And I lived through the Nardog shunning of the early Dantonio years, Which lead to the best defense the program has ever had. (in my memory)

This feels like we will be living Narduzzi part 2 in the early years.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-08, 10:36

Gotta give them time to get their personnel.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-12-08, 10:38

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 502811600 Nothing like going from calling people fat heads and then saying a guy who has won 3 Big ten ships in a row and made the CFP 3x in a row a shitty coach
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-08, 10:41

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 502811600 Nothing like going from calling people fat heads and then saying a guy who has won 3 Big ten ships in a row and made the CFP 3x in a row a shitty coach

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 4113017228 (You left out the cheating part.)
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-08, 10:42

Recall when he was on the hot seat 4 years ago? Emptied out his assistants to save his job....& started cheating... shitty person.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-08, 10:42

All I know is, if you look at “coaching improvements “ at every division one school, we have to be number 1-A in that category. I never much like criticizing our coaches but I saw things on the field that were so bad even an amateur like myself legitimately questioned. Just basic player positioning. It’s like our kids never watched film.

I know we’ll improve 50% just because our kids will be coached. And I don’t know about the individual coaches from our staff. Maybe the culture was so bad because of the leader our coaches had no enthusiasm as to coaching them up.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-08, 11:59

DWags wrote:All I know is, if you look at “coaching improvements “ at every division one school,  we have to be number 1-A in that category.    I never much like criticizing our coaches but I saw things on the field that were so bad even an amateur like myself legitimately questioned. Just basic player positioning.   It’s like our kids never watched film.  

I know we’ll improve 50% just because our kids will be coached.  And I don’t know about the individual coaches from our staff. Maybe the culture was so bad because of the leader our coaches had no enthusiasm as to coaching them up.

We made some 4th down decisions this year that were inexcusable.

I'm ready for the new regime.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-12-08, 12:49

You consider bank robbers to be brilliant businessmen, don't you?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

NigelUno, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-08, 14:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 502811600 I pee’d a little. Great comparison.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-08, 14:56

It looks like Barnett and Hawkins are definitely staying which I love. However, I have to believe Barnett’s. Title will be changed.  Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 502811600

Jonathan Smith is an "A" hire - Page 2 Img_7210
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-08, 15:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think you’re reaching here. The game this year was closer because that freshman kid who entered the portal was a superior quarterback over that other kid who threw for 85 TDs 12 INTs, drafted 2nd overall, and prolly gonna end up being NFL rookie of the year.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-12-08, 15:58

Y’all can sit there and try to claim that harbaugh isn’t a good coach. I’m not going to do it. agree to disagree!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-12-08, 16:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I mean, most/all companies in within capitalism are stealing or victimizing someone/something on their way to profits so what’s the difference?
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-08, 16:30

He’s proven to be a good coach. The off the charts leap (especially out running Vegas at an unheard of rate) in the last three years is worth examining. I mean they pretty much opted out of two games in 2020 that probably would have cost him his job.

OTPT you know the betting game as good as anyone. You don’t out run Vegas like that. No one does. Vegas always adjusts. It don’t take them three years to figure it out unless something’s really wonky. Alls I’m sayin.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-08, 16:35

I didn’t criticize it. All I said was it made me wonder, which is probably more the frustration from MD’s inaction—kind of a flinch response. Regsrdless, yours is a fair argument and makes sense.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-12-08, 16:36

Nordic wrote:

Seems incredibly reasonable to bring dudes with you that you’ve had success with. Coaching staff stability and cohesion also out weighs instability. So yeah, bring as many dudes as he wants.

Now you’re just piling on. Let’s fight.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-08, 17:00

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Now you’re just piling on. Let’s fight.

Sword fight?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-08, 17:01

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Y’all can sit there and try to claim that harbaugh isn’t a good coach. I’m not going to do it. agree to disagree!

Agree. He’s good enough not to have to cheat like a little bitch. Guy was desperate after 2020. All he had to do was take a deep breath, look in the mirror and tell himself he can do this. He chose to cut corners. Fuck that POS.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-08, 17:05

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I mean, most/all companies in within capitalism are stealing or victimizing someone/something on their way to profits so what’s the difference?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Re-read what you just wrote. You used the word “victimized”. Fuck those companies and fuck him.

And I know too many coaches, and too many business owners, that still do it the right way. So the term.” everybody does it.” Will always be bullshit to me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-08, 17:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Y’all can sit there and try to claim that harbaugh isn’t a good coach. I’m not going to do it. agree to disagree!

He might be a good coach.

He's an even better coach when he cheats.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-08, 18:39

NigelUno wrote:

He might be a good coach.

He's an even better coach when he cheats.

Pre cheating headlines...
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-hot-seat-rankings-jim-harbaugh-ed-orgeron-among-college-football-coaches-heating-up/

https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/30/tom-herman-jim-harbaugh-scott-frost-hot-seat

Post cheating headlines...
https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-college-playoff-ohio-state-orange-bowl-georgia-bulldogs
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-08, 19:12

DWags wrote:

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Re-read what you just wrote. You used the word “victimized”.  Fuck those companies and fuck him.  

And I know too many coaches, and too many business owners, that still do it the right way. So the term.” everybody does it.” Will always be bullshit to me.

And the victims in this case would be teams like...Michigan State.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next