Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers

+15
Cameron
Pervis Muldoon
GRR Spartan
aualum06
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
Nordic
DWags
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers - Page 3 Empty Re: Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers

Post by Nordic 12/11/2023, 9:36 pm

I think we've made some real progress in this thread.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers - Page 3 Empty Re: Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/11/2023, 9:46 pm

Nordic wrote:I think we've made some real progress in this thread.
Correct, end the skullfuck threads... the only REAL way to right the ship.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/11/2023, 9:52 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Definitely missing that.  Kohler definitely hasn't shown it yet.  Booker?  Maybe.  Hall?  Anyone?  
Hall had 20+... the 4 wasn't the problem. If you can't rely on your 5 to force other teams to check down when you feed him they get to keep 4 on the perimeter shutting down the scorers.  Doesn't have to be "good" but rebounding and 10-12 on put backs/pick and rolls. Something just to keep them concerned.

Yes. Something better at the 5 would be nice.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 12/11/2023, 10:18 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Gotta have a stretch four.
Uh, no. Gotta have a functional center.

If it were the 1980s sure but since it’s 2023 give me a stretch four.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/12/2023, 8:20 am

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

We just need someone who can catch the ball and has good touch around the rim. That could be Kohler. I could easily see a lineup (against smaller teams) with:

Hoggard Walker Akins Hall Kohler

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/12/2023, 9:31 am

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

You realize Steve, that a team with a "stretch four" (I'm sure this is a term you heard on ESPN, and probably don't have any idea what they mean) ALSO has a 5... Yes 5 people are on the floor at every given point in time.

The last game MSU got 26 and 8 from the 4, they got 2 and 3 from the 5.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/12/2023, 9:50 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

You realize Steve, that a team with a "stretch four" (I'm sure this is a term you heard on ESPN, and probably don't have any idea what they mean) ALSO has a 5... Yes 5 people are on the floor at every given point in time.

Hall was essentially defending/playing the 5 for 15 minutes.

We unquestionably miss Hauser. With him, we easily beat Nebraska using a small line up.

That obviously doesn't diminish the problem with our bigs. Hopefully Kohler gives us a spark offensively and can manage on defense.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 12/12/2023, 9:54 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Outside of one game those are such impressive numbers. You must read the Athletic.
.297 from three and ranked 297th in the country from three and before the Nebraska game they were around .250. Sure seems like a stretch four would help but go on tell me how a center in the paint is what we need.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/12/2023, 10:02 am

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Outside of one game those are such impressive numbers. You must read the Athletic.
.297 from three and ranked 297th in the country from three and before the Nebraska game they were around .250. Sure seems like a stretch four would help but go on tell me how a center in the paint is what we need.

A functional center draws attention and frees up the remaining 4 to get open looks.

Putting Booker (a future stretch 4 in the nba) on the floor now wont fix anything if his guy is up in his grill on D. (as we've seen)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 12/12/2023, 10:16 am

The top 5 in the current rankings are:
Arizona -Ballo
Kansas - Dickenson
Purdue - Edey
Houston
UConn - Clingan

I wonder what 4 of the 5 have in common?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/12/2023, 10:36 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

A functional center draws attention and frees up the remaining 4 to get open looks.

Putting Booker (a future stretch 4 in the nba) on the floor now wont fix anything if his guy is up in his grill on D. (as we've seen)

Disagree. If Booker is on the floor (instead of Mady/Cooper), then his defender has to guard him outside. That opens up the middle for other guys to drive. Pick and rolls should work better with Booker, because he has better hands and touch around the basket. We are hesitant to pass to Mady for a reason.

It's not a one or the other thing. We need better production out of all the bigs (not sure I count Hall as a "big"...although he has to fill that role for us).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 12/12/2023, 10:57 am

NigelUno wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Disagree.  If Booker is on the floor (instead of Mady/Cooper), then his defender has to guard him outside.  That opens up the middle for other guys to drive.  Pick and rolls should work better with Booker, because he has better hands and touch around the basket.  We are hesitant to pass to Mady for a reason.    

It's not a one or the other thing.  We need better production out of all the bigs (not sure I count Hall as a "big"...although he has to fill that role for us).  

Hauser stretched floor with his three shooting and could bang em up in the paint. I miss Joey.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/12/2023, 4:36 pm

kingstonlake wrote:The top 5 in the current rankings are:
Arizona -Ballo
Kansas - Dickenson
Purdue - Edey
Houston
UConn - Clingan

None have ever been in my kitchen. Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers - Page 3 2599972566
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/12/2023, 4:38 pm

if only there was an easy way to get a decent center through some database of college players that may want to change schools
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 12/12/2023, 5:03 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:The top 5 in the current rankings are:
Arizona -Ballo
Kansas - Dickenson
Purdue - Edey
Houston
UConn - Clingan

None have ever been in my kitchen. Division no more - Skullfuck the Huskers - Page 3 2599972566

Cliff!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/12/2023, 8:43 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:if only there was an easy way to get a decent center through some database of college players that may want to change schools

I know, right?

Why doesn't every team have one?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 12/12/2023, 8:56 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:if only there was an easy way to get a decent center through some database of college players that may want to change schools

OTPT, you say this like skilled centers are a dime a dozen. There are actually few compared to backcourt positions. You watch enough basketball to know this. Not to mention even some higher ranked centers struggle with the college transition. Before college they can often get away with relying on their physical advantages alone. When they get to college, they must also have excellent skills and technique to be effective on the court, and some of that might be underdeveloped because it was not always necessary.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 12/12/2023, 9:11 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

OTPT, you say this like skilled centers are a dime a dozen. There are actually few compared to backcourt positions. You watch enough basketball to know this. Not to mention even some higher ranked centers struggle with the college transition. Before college they can often get away with relying on their physical advantages alone. When they get to college, they must also have excellent skills and technique to be effective on the court, and some of that might be underdeveloped because it was not always necessary.

There are few true centers at any level in basketball. Most college centers are strong forwards in the pros.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/12/2023, 9:51 pm

Plus, like it or not, Izzo is hanging his hat on development as much as possible. It's a selling point for the program.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/12/2023, 9:56 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Jud rarely had a good, true center.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/12/2023, 9:59 pm

As for Xavier Booker, I remember reading at least a couple articles before the season saying he had all kinds of potential but would have to put in the work to make it all come together. I remember being surprised by that and I’m guessing quite a few people need to adjust their expectations of his impact early on.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 12/13/2023, 5:23 am

tGreenWay wrote:As for Xavier Booker, I remember reading at least a couple articles before the season saying he had all kinds of potential but would have to put in the work to make it all come together. I remember being surprised by that and I’m guessing quite a few people need to adjust their expectations of his impact early on.

What little I saw of him, he’d get killed on defense if he had to guard guys like eddy. But then again, Izzo was the guy who scouted him for years. He had to know that. My question is what is the criteria to become a 5 star? He ain’t JJJ.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 12/13/2023, 7:00 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Jud rarely had a good, true center.

Donut line up
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 12/13/2023, 7:45 am

Sophomore center Jaxon Kohler started doing drill work last week for the first time since the foot surgery in mid-October that has kept him on the bench all season. The team was hoping he would be able to participate in live practices beginning this week and to start playing in games before Christmas.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2023/12/help-is-on-the-way-as-michigan-state-looks-for-more-from-its-center-position.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/13/2023, 1:27 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Plus, like it or not, Izzo is hanging his hat on development as much as possible. It's a selling point for the program.

what would be a bigger selling point over the last 4 years? Competing for championships and final 4s or “development”?

It’s not working.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/13/2023, 1:56 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:As for Xavier Booker, I remember reading at least a couple articles before the season saying he had all kinds of potential but would have to put in the work to make it all come together. I remember being surprised by that and I’m guessing quite a few people need to adjust their expectations of his impact early on.

What little I saw of him, he’d get killed on defense if he had to guard guys like eddy.  But then again, Izzo was the guy who scouted him for years.  He had to know that.   My question is what is the criteria to become a 5 star?   He ain’t JJJ.

He won't guard Edey. We have 2 guys to bang with Edey.

He has skills. Great touch around the rim, and can shoot from outside. HS is different than college. All of a sudden you have 6'6"+ guys that are much stronger that can defend you. Sounded like we're going to see more of him. I'll put up with some lapses on defense for better output at the other end of the floor.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 12/13/2023, 1:57 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Plus, like it or not, Izzo is hanging his hat on development as much as possible. It's a selling point for the program.

what would be a bigger selling point over the last 4 years? Competing for championships and final 4s or “development”?

It’s not working.

One final four, two sweet 16’s in the last 4 tournaments.  1 big ten tournament title in the last four years.  

I get it.  1. Recency bias.   2. He’s a victim of his own success.  

People are basically saying, “ Izzo, you aren’t as good as Izzo”.  

With his last years class and who he has coming this year, he’s selling something.  But yeah  this year sucks.   I’m guessing a players only meeting will get it right.   Or if we had a five.

Last edited by DWags on 12/13/2023, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/13/2023, 1:59 pm

DWags wrote:

It’s not working.

One final four, two sweet 16’s in the last 4 tournaments.  1 big ten tournament title in the last four years.  

People are basically. Izzo, you aren’t as good as Izzo”.  

With his last years class and who he has coming this year, he’s selling something.  But yeah  this year sucks.   I’m guessing a players only meeting will get it right.   Or if we had a five.  

Maybe we can get Marble back. He hasn't played for A&M for some reason this year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/13/2023, 2:23 pm

DWags wrote:

It’s not working.

Right... that's a career for many. He's earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants for how long as he wants, we are just along for the ride. He obviously isn't 100% against transfers or Walker wouldn't be around. So if he felt what he had was enough... it was probably enough. Hopefully Kohler comes strong and Booker starts figuring it out. Christ, the top rated big outta high school, he can't be THAT lost....(although he has looked it) Why would Izzo accept a transfer over a 6' 11" 5 star?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 12/13/2023, 2:39 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
DWags wrote:

Right... that's a career for many. He's earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants for how long as he wants, we are just along for the ride. He obviously isn't 100% against transfers or Walker wouldn't be around. So if he felt what he had was enough... it was probably enough. Hopefully Kohler comes strong and Booker starts figuring it out. Christ, the top rated big outta high school, he can't be THAT lost....(although he has looked it) Why would Izzo accept a transfer over a 6' 11" 5 star?

I think we explored the transfer portal after the 2021-22 season. Didn't work out for whatever reason. Cooper then signed in May of 2022.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/13/2023, 3:43 pm

DWags wrote:

What little I saw of him, he’d get killed on defense if he had to guard guys like eddy.  But then again, Izzo was the guy who scouted him for years.  He had to know that.   My question is what is the criteria to become a 5 star?  He ain’t JJJ.

No idea what goes into those decisions, but don’t forget the people who do that are the same bunch who called Emoni Bates the best player in America. Massive talent and potential, no doubt, but elevating the hype is unfair and unnecessary. And no, I’m not saying XB is EB—I’m just using him as a recent example of the hyperbole.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/13/2023, 3:55 pm

Let’s all take a deep breath and remind ourselves it’s not even the middle of December yet. The team has started out shaky, but this is the adjustment period where the new guys and veterans are working out kinks, timing, and learning new roles to take over for departed players. It’s too early for crisis mode, let alone for fans to reach for the panic or meltdown buttons. Give it time before you start trying to retire Izzo.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3