Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story?

+7
GRR Spartan
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
11 posters

Go down

tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? Empty tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story?

Post by tGreenWay Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:28 pm

Never seen it. Planned to watch it a couple years ago, but just wasn’t ever in the mood. Then thought maybe last year it would finally happen, but was too focused on a sick dog.
This year? Who knows? tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? 2599972566
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? Empty Re: tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story?

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:30 pm

I've never seen the whole either, maybe no more that 10 or 15 minutes total in brief stretches.

Let me know how it turns out, if you sit through the whole thing.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? Empty Re: tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story?

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:34 pm

Freaking commies.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 pm

Its a fine movie... so many christmas movies are complete ass (Polar Express), i found this one entertaining.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:09 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've never seen the whole either, maybe no more that 10 or 15 minutes total in brief stretches.

Will do. I’m just not sure I’m charged to watch it. The fact the movie gets Motown’s seal of approval isn’t doing it any favors.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:23 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I've never seen the whole either, maybe no more that 10 or 15 minutes total in brief stretches.

Will do. I’m just not sure I’m charged to watch it. The fact the movie gets Motown’s seal of approval isn’t doing it any favors.

You’ll enjoy it since you grew up in that era.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

See, you probably think that’s some kind of sick burn, but since I don’t know the plot, it bounces right off me. tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:52 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

This. It’s just boomer nostalgia. Which is fine. But it doesn’t need to be pushed on anyone that didn’t grow up then.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:53 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

See, you probably think that’s some kind of sick burn, but since I don’t know the plot, it bounces right off me. tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? 1494614055

tOfficial Will this be the year I finally watch A Christmas Story? 1811933421
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:11 pm

Watching White Christmas on the eve or early morning is a tradition, even though I despise most musicals.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:45 am

Jean Shepard wrote the script for A Christmas Story in 1970-71, the movie wasn’t made until 1982/1983.  Multiple studios passed on it before MGM bought the rights then sat on it for several years.

Greenway, you’re in good company being ambivalent about the movie.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:09 am

The "downtown" scenes were filmed, I think, in Cleavland. as that looks like Public Square (yes the actual name of a place in Cleavland) and the old Higbee's Department Store (Cleavland's equivalent to downtown Hudson's)

But "frajilly" and "you will shoot your eye out" are classic lines.

(Also, the actor playing the mom is in my mind super hot)
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:56 am

Merry Christmas eFriends 🎄
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry, tGreenWay, Motown Spartan, gomersbro, Trapper Gus and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 am

Who says Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie? Paramount is replaying it many times today.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:51 am

it's a wonderful life is the best christmas movie, followed by a christmas story.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:04 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:Merry Christmas eFriends 🎄

Hey now, I know you in real life too!!

Merry Christmas Floyd!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:08 am

Merry Christmas everybody. Happy holidays.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:53 am

DWags wrote:Merry Christmas everybody.   Happy holidays.
ditto santa
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:21 am

Still haven’t seen it, but Merry Christmas, you unhygienic non-humans.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:23 am

Oh, and I’ve never seen Home Alone, either.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:47 pm

Greenway is a commie!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:01 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Still haven’t seen it, but Merry Christmas, you unhygienic non-humans.

Have a bacteria filled Holiday Season.

Betting we’ll see another click bait post about A Christmas Story next December.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:14 pm

Home alone house paid $50,,066 in property taxes this year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:09 pm

DWags wrote:Home alone house paid $50,,066 in property taxes this year.
Should have used a house in CA. Once purchased, property taxes never go up.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:37 pm

Watching White Christmas. Bing is Bing. Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen were pretty hot. Danny Kaye looks a lot like my dad did.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:02 pm

The Pantry wrote:Who says Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie? Paramount is replaying it many times today.

This was settled. Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:03 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Still haven’t seen it, but Merry Christmas, you unhygienic non-humans.

Have a bacteria filled Holiday Season.

Betting we’ll see another click bait post about A Christmas Story next December.

Since I haven’t watched it yet this year, your prediction is likely correct, assuming I’m not hit by a bus or vapor lock between now and then.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:04 am

The Pantry wrote:Watching White Christmas on the eve or early morning is a tradition, even though I despise most musicals.

Check out the prequel: "Holiday Inn"
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:28 am

Zurn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Watching White Christmas on the eve or early morning is a tradition, even though I despise most musicals.

Check out the prequel:   "Holiday Inn"

Not really a Christmas movie, though.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:58 am

A movie (Holiday Inn) that debuts the most popular Christmas song ever written (White Christmas) is definitely a Christmas movie.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:14 am

Zurn wrote:A movie (Holiday Inn) that debuts the most popular Christmas song ever written (White Christmas) is definitely a Christmas movie.

Billboard's top Christmas songs disagrees with that assessment. It is number seven.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/most-popular-christmas-songs-versions/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:19 pm

https://medium.com/@shelrochaleal/top-10-selling-christmas-songs-of-all-time-1a5ac086016f

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” is the biggest selling single of all time
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Zurn wrote:https://medium.com/@shelrochaleal/top-10-selling-christmas-songs-of-all-time-1a5ac086016f

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” is the biggest selling single of all time

But you didn't say most copies sold, which is complicated by switches in technology, from records, to CDs to downloads, to streaming.

You said most popular, which it isn't.

I think most will understand that as a song, and it's audience ages, with higher population levels, other songs will pass it by.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:03 pm

Sigh...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:53 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Sigh...

Are you sad for me that I didn’t see it this year? That’s understandable.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:04 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:https://medium.com/@shelrochaleal/top-10-selling-christmas-songs-of-all-time-1a5ac086016f

But you didn't say most copies sold, which is complicated by switches in technology, from records, to CDs to downloads, to streaming.

I think most will understand that as a song, and it's audience ages, with higher population levels, other songs will pass it by.

Dude, my link says (literally) "top 10 selling"
I said (literally) "White Christmas is the best selling"

A rationale person would think a song that is the best selling single of all time has a reasonable claim to being the most popular.  

No wonder AveJoe is sighing.

Last edited by Zurn on Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:20 pm

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Dude, my link says (literally) "top 10 selling"
I said (literally) "White Christmas is the best selling"

A rationale person would thing a song that is the best selling single of all time has a reasonable claim to being the most popular.

No wonder AveJoe is sighing.

Joe is sighing because he feels bad that I didn’t see the movie again this year.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:27 pm

You're right Greenway, the sigh had nothing to do with the fact this turned into a slap fight about semantics of the bestest Christmas song eva.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down